Jul 22, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman launched two more home runs to continue his torrid streak.
Game in a nutshell: Perhaps reinvigorated by last night's win in the second half of their doubleheader, the Nationals stormed out of the gates in the series finale, scoring four runs in the bottom of the first thanks to another Ryan Zimmerman homer and RBI hits from Danny Espinosa and Roger Bernadina. And unlike Friday night's debacle, they never took their foot off the gas pedal. Zimmerman added another homer. Espinosa added two more hits. Bernadina added two more hits. Sandy Leon added a bases-loaded double. And Ross Detwiler did a highly effective job pitching with a lead, working fast and holding the Braves to one earned run over seven innings. So just like that, the Nationals salvaged a series split and increased their lead over Atlanta to 3 1/2 games. Right back where they started on Friday.
Hitting highlight: What more can you say about Zimmerman? Well, we'll try to come up with more, because it feels like we highlight theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?