Jul 23, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound tonight at rainy Citi Field.
NEW YORK — Don't let the above photo fool you too much. Yes, the tarp is covering the infield here at Citi Field, and there's a threat of thunderstorms this afternoon. But the forecast looks pretty clear for the rest of the evening, so there doesn't appear to be much chance of any delay for tonight's series opener between the Nationals and Mets.
The Nats will be taking the field without their All-Star shortstop, Ian Desmond, who today was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique tear. Danny Espinosa, who has looked sharp at shortstop over the last week, takes over there for the next month or so, with Steve Lombardozzi at second base.
Corey Brown, meanwhile, has been recalled from Class AAA to take Desmond's roster spot. The 26-year-old outfielder has put up huge numbers in Syracuse (.300 average, 21 homers, 58 RBI, 14 stolen bases) but it'll be interesting to see if Davey Johnson sticks with red-hot Roger Bernadina in center field for now, with Brown coming off the bench.
Jordan Zimmermann (4-0, 0.84 ERA over his last five starts) gets the ball against Chris Young. Plenty of updates and analysis coming live from Flushing, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Isolated storms, 83 degrees, Wind 10 mph RF to LF
2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot