Jul 23, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound tonight at rainy Citi Field.
NEW YORK — Don't let the above photo fool you too much. Yes, the tarp is covering the infield here at Citi Field, and there's a threat of thunderstorms this afternoon. But the forecast looks pretty clear for the rest of the evening, so there doesn't appear to be much chance of any delay for tonight's series opener between the Nationals and Mets.
The Nats will be taking the field without their All-Star shortstop, Ian Desmond, who today was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique tear. Danny Espinosa, who has looked sharp at shortstop over the last week, takes over there for the next month or so, with Steve Lombardozzi at second base.
Corey Brown, meanwhile, has been recalled from Class AAA to take Desmond's roster spot. The 26-year-old outfielder has put up huge numbers in Syracuse (.300 average, 21 homers, 58 RBI, 14 stolen bases) but it'll be interesting to see if Davey Johnson sticks with red-hot Roger Bernadina in center field for now, with Brown coming off the bench.
Jordan Zimmermann (4-0, 0.84 ERA over his last five starts) gets the ball against Chris Young. Plenty of updates and analysis coming live from Flushing, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Isolated storms, 83 degrees, Wind 10 mph RF to LF
2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?