Game 95: Nats at Mets

Jul 23, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound tonight at rainy Citi Field.

NEW YORK — Don't let the above photo fool you too much. Yes, the tarp is covering the infield here at Citi Field, and there's a threat of thunderstorms this afternoon. But the forecast looks pretty clear for the rest of the evening, so there doesn't appear to be much chance of any delay for tonight's series opener between the Nationals and Mets.

The Nats will be taking the field without their All-Star shortstop, Ian Desmond, who today was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique tear. Danny Espinosa, who has looked sharp at shortstop over the last week, takes over there for the next month or so, with Steve Lombardozzi at second base.

Corey Brown, meanwhile, has been recalled from Class AAA to take Desmond's roster spot. The 26-year-old outfielder has put up huge numbers in Syracuse (.300 average, 21 homers, 58 RBI, 14 stolen bases) but it'll be interesting to see if Davey Johnson sticks with red-hot Roger Bernadina in center field for now, with Brown coming off the bench.

Jordan Zimmermann (4-0, 0.84 ERA over his last five starts) gets the ball against Chris Young. Plenty of updates and analysis coming live from Flushing, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Isolated storms, 83 degrees, Wind 10 mph RF to LF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

1. PFB Balls of Fire - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Why am I not quaking in my boots over the Dempster trade?

2. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM

PFB, Dempster is saying he hasn't been traded per his official Twitter.

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Is true Dempster will veto trade to Atlanta? Wants Washington or LA?

4. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM

So… what do Nats have to give up?

5. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Congrats to RZ on this!!MLB Public Relations ‏@MLB_PRNL Player of the Week is @Nationals 3B Ryan Zimmerman, who hit .500 w/ 1.067 SLG & MLB-best 15 hits & 32 TB

6. natsfan1a - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Awesome, NatsLady. Thanks for sharing the news. Figured it would be him or McCutchen.

7. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM

8. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM

9. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Sunshine. LOL. Good one.

10. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:58 PM

11. #4 - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM

How great is it that Dempster only wants that Nats or LA. Man this franchise has come a long way.

12. JD - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Mick, We don't have a Randal Delgado or Julio Tehran. Our best healthy pitching prospects are Meyer and Giolito and we ain't trading them for a rental.

13. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

#4 and that is why signing Werth made the Nats legit in the baseball world. The fact that we are drawing 35,000 plus mid week should show all potential free agents that DC is a baseball town and once and for all makes anyone who said DC will not support baseball look foolish

14. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Funny, from Dempster's wife:https://twitter.com/Jennaaay1017/status/227490535970074624

15. blovy8 - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM

That is pretty surprising. It kind of screws the Cubs though. Who wouldn't want to pitch in LA? They can afford a real contract before he gets hurt or something. I don't see a deal for DC though, no way we give them something better than a comp pick would bring back.

16. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM

jDagreed, I only make a deal if I get Dempster for free or a player to be named later

17. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:05 PM

NatsLady said… Apparently Dempster has not (yet) waived his 10/5 rights and is in the clubhouse wearing his Cubs uni. Wants to go to the Dodgers or Nats. I would say we could get him for way less than Delgado–if we want him. I'm not sure we do, given what Lannan did Saturday. July 23, 2012 3:56 PM _______________________________This is great. I would trade Lannan. I wouldn't trade Detwiler.

18. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Meyer and Giolito are the real deal… I see a young Tim Stoddard in Meyer and Gioloto I think could be somethingagree JD

19. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM

20. blovy8 - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM

21. NCNatsie - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Maybe the way to get Dempster is to take Soriano (and his salary) too. The Cubs might take a bag of balls for that deal. Can S. still play 2b???

22. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Seriously, how pissed must he be at Theo to not mention this already, and let the Cubs arrange a deal he must have known he was going to nix?

23. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM

They don't need Dempster, but if he's that hot to be here now, they can have Cutter Dykstra. Honestly, what possible leverage did he leave the Cubs here? Two teams that have basically kicked the tires and then said, no thanks.

24. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM

This will get interesting with Dempster. Not the first time a Veteran has said "no" to a trade.Coincidentally, on the day after Ron Santo was inducted in the HOF, Dempster invokes the Santo Clause. Ronnie *was* the first player to enforce his 10/5 rights.

25. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I got it.. we will trade Hrod for Dempster, sounds fair to me, lol

26. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Could the Nats get Dempster just to ensure that Braves or Dodger, any NL contender do not? I got it.. we will trade Hrod for Dempster, sounds fair to me, lolMy gawd people! If the Nats really wanted the guy they could have had him by now! 25 year old guy that throws 100 for a 35 year old guy who won't be here next season? Nope.Even Fangraphs addressed the folly of "rental players". Is it worth losing a piece that could help the Nats win next year and the year after? H-Rod could be that piece. You just never know. Dempster absolutely will not be that piece.Let Dempster go to Stan Kasten and LA.

27. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said…Good. Valdespin is in the starting lineup. That means he can't pinch-hit a three-run home run.July 23, 2012 3:56 PM————————————-I wonder if Valdespin is better then Duda in the outfield? Can't possbly worse, can he?So now we'll get to face Duda if the need arises for a pinch hitter for the Mets.Camptown ladies sing this song, Duda, Duda.

28. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I really think Dempster ends up in LA

29. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:26 PM

peric, we are kidding around. Nobody here seriously wants Dempster.

30. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:27 PM

SJM308.. I was reading some of your comments over the weekend and I AM SHOCKED that you didn't think of the following names for the grandchild. If it's a BOY:Steven/StephenBryceRyanMichaelJayson (and if is is the son I met, he likes Jayson)AdamDanielTylerDrewRogerJesusSandyWilsonCraigSeanGiovannyEdwinRossI could go on (just give him the first names of the 25 guys that are on the playoff roster)If it's a girl: Jordan or Sandy

31. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:27 PM

You *could* argue it's worth it if you think the Braves might catch up. That division title can get expensive, but the wild card is fool's gold.No, I'm not the first one to say that.

32. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Michele:Sandy could be for both a boy or girl

33. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Mick.. same for Jordan…

34. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM

So now we'll get to face Duda if the need arises for a pinch hitter for the Mets.How is his nickname *not* "Zippity"?

35. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM

true Michele

36. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM

mick said… I really think Dempster ends up in LA July 23, 2012 4:25 PM ____________________________So do I. They have the prospects to deal.

37. mick - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM

sofa bada bing

38. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:31 PM

NatsLady, I hope you have the @MLBFancave on your twitter feed… Lots of pics of the boys up there…https://twitter.com/MLBFanCave

39. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Too funny on the Zippity Duda, Chill Mo!

40. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM

No one's going to want Lannan – he's going to get paid well in arbitration again next year, you probably can't offer less than 4 million.If they do bring him back in September when Stras gets shut down and he does well … well enough to make a playoff roster? Seems highly unlikely but then he would have some leverage in the negotiations. At some point, if he raises his value, it would be better if the Nats traded him for prospects to make up for a less than bountiful 2012 draft.

41. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:46 PM

If they don't bring him up until September, he won't make the playoff roster. Well, I suppose they could add him if there were an injury to another starter, but nobody uses five starters in the playoffs, and as we've discussed, he won't be much use in relief.

42. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM

But you're right, he's unlikely to get a raise after spending most of the year in AAA, unless he throws a couple of no-hitters.

43. JD - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM

44. JaneB - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Love that Dempster is saying "no trade unless to Dodgers or Nats." How long ago was it that people were saying, "No trade to the Nats"? But I say no Dempster. We stand pat for him, even in a two year deal. It wouldn't scare me for him to go to Atlanta. Love the grandchild names, MichelleS. I hope our guys support Jordan early and that we play thee next games like a team in first playing sub-.500 teams. GYFNG!

45. natsfan1a - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I always thought it was Camptown.'Chili Mo' — Section 3, My Sofa said… So now we'll get to face Duda if the need arises for a pinch hitter for the Mets. How is his nickname *not* "Zippity"? July 23, 2012 4:29 PM

46. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Where is the "LA or DC" thing from?

47. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM

1a, I think you owe Joe a coke.

48. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Anthony Rendon hit his 1st home run of the year in the GCL and then came out of the game. I am hoping he wasn't hurt but instead is on his way to Potomac.OK, if this guy hurt himself on a home run trot, I am officially calling for trading him.

49. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:07 PM

"Who wouldn't want to pitch in LA?"Anyone worried about state income taxes, real estate taxes, sales taxes. Taxes. I wonder if Albert would have made more by taking $2 mn/yr less and staying in Mizzou, than by taking the extra $2 mn to play in LA, after taxes.Best thing for Lannen, and the Nats, would be a trade. The Nats win even if the return on the trade is zero, because they can use the $5 mn on something closer to real value – a FA pitcher, say. A utility IF would be nice. No one great, just someone who can come in and play decent D, if needed.Detwiler is solid. He's a number 3. He reportedly worked out last winter to improve his strength and stamina, and it worked. Hits 95 on the gun now, and easily completed 7 innings against the Braves – something he was not able to do all last year, against anyone – using mainly that FB.The Nats are set with SS, JZ, Gio, and Detwiler next year. With EJax $11 mn and Lannen's $5 mn next year, they could make some noise in the off-season if they wished. Or negotiate a much more reasonable long-term deal with EJax, instead, who is really a number 5 in that rotation.Hard to see where Lannen fits in.

50. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM

•Rival executives know the Braves are looking for pitching, which means Atlanta is up against extra-high asking prices, according to Passan. The Braves will acquire Ryan Dempster from the Cubs for Randall Delgado if Dempster approves the trade.

51. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Mick — "A young Tim Stoddard" is nothing to wish for.Re: Lannan in arbitration my understanding is that the team's offer may not be less than 80 percent of the previous year's salary. I.e., not less than $4MM. If the Nats were to offer arbitration, I could see some team trading for his rights if they genuinely saw him as a part of their rotation. If — big if — Lannan has reformed himself (AAA results notwithstanding), then I suppose it's worth it for the Nats to extend the offer, as a hedge against what Jackson does/what is available as an alternative to Jackson. Don't, however, see anyone offering to trade for him unless (A) he pitches lights out on 8/3 and (B) it's a waiver deadline deal. But, the closer it gets to September and the playoffs, he becomes more valuable (in theory) to the Nats.

52. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM

"Love that Dempster is saying "no trade unless to Dodgers or Nats." How long ago was it that people were saying, "No trade to the Nats"?"Saw where MLB conducted a poll on which NL team would be the hardest to best in a 5-game post-season series. The Nats got about 60% of the vote, with the next team (the Braves, I think) lagging behind at about 20%.Braves going for Dempster is desperation. They know they can't catch the Nats without getting better, but Dempster is not going to do it. He would be lucky to make our rotation. Who would Davey take out for him?

53. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Hard to see where Lannen fits in.Under Disability Insurance. This has been an unusual year so far, in that Wang is the only starter who's missed time, and they haven't really missed a step because of it. Can't count on that every year.That said, he might still be better off elsewhere, and they might not need him.

54. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM

55. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM

But, the closer it gets to September and the playoffs, he becomes more valuable (in theory) to the Nats.Right now the 3 best young prospect starting pitchers (uninjured and available) would have to be Nate Karns, Jeff Mandel, and Dan Rosenbaum. Put them together with Zach Duke, Yunesky Maya, and John Lannan and they have plenty of pitching depth with 2 bonafide major league left-handed starters plus a left-handed prospect. Not sure you can do better than that by going outside at this point. UNLESS its for someone long-term who is at the same #1/#2 top of the rotation level of Stras, Gio, JZimmnn, EJax, and now apparently Detwiler. With EJax likely on the way out that could make sense. I wouldn't count on CM Wang down in Harrisburg … have to wonder if he ends up in Potomac.

56. Candide - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Don't know if this has been pointed out by others, but have a look at the Atlanta Journal Constitution's story for Atlanta's blogosphere's view of the Braves; the commenters there seem convinced the Braves are toast.

57. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:25 PM

@ThomasBoswellWP: Detwiler 85of98 fastballs on Sun/Avg93.1 mph. Top 8 lefty FBs: Price (95.5), Moore, Kershaw, Gio, Liriano, Lester, Doubront, Detwiler (92.4)Det's in good company. Its why Lannan will be in Syracuse until September at least. And you can't find that outside without emptying the system of prospects. That's your #5 starter.

58. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:25 PM

It doesn't matter whether he makes the Braves's rotation better than the Nationals (obviously not), but only whether he makes them better than they would be otherwise. I hope the Nats open up a good lead and hold it, but if they don't, the couple of wins he probably adds might be all they need. Now, if HE doesn't think they can catch the Nationals, that might affect outcomes.

59. NCNatsie - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I was big on getting Dempster several weeks ago — less so now, given Detwiler's emergence and Lannan's performance Saturday. I'm becoming more convinced we can get through the Strasburg interregnum with what we've got.That said, I still think Dempster would be a great addition to any team's staff. He is a quality guy who is having a career year — not surprisingly in a contract year.I don't know if the Nats or Dodgers Only thing is true or not, but it makes sense. The one thing he needs for his resume is a post-season record, which, having been a Cubbie, he lacks. If he could get a couple of post-season wins, it would mean millions to him in his next contract.And by far, the Dodgers and Nats are the best bets to win their divisions.

60. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I wouldn't count the Giants out so fast. I mean, they are up by a game and a half at the moment.

61. Steady Eddie - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:37 PM

peric — agree that Det seems to have emerged finally as a reliable #5. Or 4.What was most impressive to me about yesterday's start is that he went a full 7 under pretty complete command on the usual rotation 4 days' rest. Last year he did by far his best pitching in September on more rest than that, and his first game back against the Mets after the ASB was great but also on more than usual rest.I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but Det may finally have crossed that threshold into dependable starter status.

62. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Looks like the Marlins are throwing out the white flag. Infante and Anibal Sanchez -> Tigers.

63. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM

"Anthony Rendon hit his 1st home run of the year in the GCL and then came out of the game. I am hoping he wasn't hurt but instead is on his way to Potomac."The Nats have been pulling him early in every game, so far. They are being extra careful to bring him up to speed slowly, to minimize any additional damage to that ankle. Pulling him early has been SOP for him. He's already hitting .333, and drew a walk in addition to the HR. The kid does not seem to have missed a beat.

64. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Noted Nat Killer now out of the the NL..Jon Morosi‏@jonmorosi#Tigers acquire Infante and A Sanchez from Marlins

65. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

There goes the Expos killer at it again. The new stadium is just a way to mask Loria a true MLB slum lord.

66. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

"Under Disability Insurance."You can get disability insurance for a lot less than $5 mn per year. That's why they converted Ryan Perry back to starter status. He's a lot cheaper than $5 mn, and is having a much better MiL year than Lannen.Lannen does not have much trade value, but they need a backup utility IF. They should be able to get that for him, plus free up $5 mn for Rizzo to play with.

67. Grandstander - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Thank goodness Anibal was kicked out of the division. Holy crap did that guy have our number.

68. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Candide, read your link to the AJC blog. The comments look like ours from Friday night.

69. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Marlins get Jacob Turner … #22 ranked starting pitching prospect and a first rounder. Right handed pitcher.

70. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Here is more speculation on the Dempster hold up..Rosenthal updates

71. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Too funny:Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckerman Just made eye contact with Snooki outside the #Mets clubhouse. Guess I can cross that one off the bucket list.

72. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Yankees get Ichiro Suzuki.

73. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

WOW. Ichiro to the Yankees?!!??? Does that mean we get to keep Ankiel?

74. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

The Nats may need to pick up a shortstop to squirrel in AAA before the July 31st deadline … just in case.

75. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

WOW. Ichiro to the Yankees?!!??? Does that mean we get to keep Ankiel?As a starter? You'd start that bat Natslady!? Sheesh NO BAT NEVER HAD.You can be certain Ankiel might have asked to be released he doesn't like sitting on the bench. He gets pretty antsy. Hates it. Do you think starting instant strike out or a homer in 10 at bats helps the offense?

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Marlins throwing in the towel.

77. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

78. Les_in_NC - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I want to thank Sec 222 for the condensed game info! 'preciate it!

79. #4 - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

80. natsfan1a - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Ah, yes. After looking over the thread, I see that I do. (I've actually been known to sing that when the guy's at-bat. I also now burst out laughing whenever I see Andres Torres on the screen, but that's another story.)'Chili Mo' — Section 3, My Sofa said… 1a, I think you owe Joe a coke. July 23, 2012 5:04 PM

81. natsfan1a - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM

83. natsfan1a - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM

In other news, for MicheleS and others with Cubs connections, did you see this video?

84. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS #marlins can sell with the best. deal is right. jacob turner-plus goes to #marlins, infante and anibal to tigers

85. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Ichiro no bat either. How will he feel about sitting on the bench? Anyway, I meant keep Ankiel in 'Cuse in case of injury.Ankiel wants to start: IN the majors. Its why he signed with the Nats. Twice. Without that guarantee he goes elsewhere. He wants to start. Not ride the bench. Not go back to the minors.

86. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… The Marlins did get Jacob Turner who was a Top Prospect plus Brantly and Flynn and PTBNL. I think the Marlins came out decent and future will tell the full story.Will hate facing Anibel Sanchez in the World Series. July 23, 2012 6:14 PM ______________________________Love it! WSDCin12Like Jon Heyman said, the Marlins can sell with the best!

87. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

88. natsfan1a - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

No, I haven't, but I would be interested in seeing said attribution. (I thought about asking about it earlier, but I didn't ask about it, so I guess that means you were first. Dang. I hate not being first. ;-))'Chili Mo' — Section 3, My Sofa said… "Love that Dempster is saying "no trade unless to Dodgers or Nats." Where is this from? Has anybody seen any attribution for this? July 23, 2012 5:18 PM

89. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

90. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Ichiro no bat either. How will he feel about sitting on the bench? Anyway, I meant keep Ankiel in 'Cuse in case of injury.Who are Corey Brown, Eury Perez, and just promoted to AA: Brian Goodwin.PLENTY OF CF and batting LEFT! : Harper, Bernadina, Brown, Perez, and Goodwin.#NO ROOM FOR Ankiel and he knows it.

91. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Or he could take his free agency and hope at home, like Lidge. And has Lidge gotten calls? I didn't think so.Ankiel is healthy Lidge definitely is not. Ankiel has one problem: NO BAT.

92. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Ken Rosenthal on MLB Network is backtracking on the Braves. Says LA is his top choice.

93. peric - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

peric, Ankiel can look at his own stats. If Yanks don't need him, neither does another contender, and non-contenders want youth. His best bet is to stay in our system and hope…See above post on outfield youth and depth. And the question is why did veteran Jason Michaels decided to retire and become a coach for Syracuse?

94. JD - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Good deal for the Tigers (Sanchez is an upgrade over what they have), infante is a top notch extra player and for the fish (Turner is a top prospect). Word is they are trying to peddle Josh Johnson as well with his $13 mil a year salary. Their season sure went to hell in a hand basket quickly. Wonder what Ozzie's over under is.

95. Steady Eddie - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

peric, I expect you're right that that's what Ankiel WANTS. But as we all agree, with that bat, in the real world, the best he can hope for is a bench role, and then likely only for a non-contender that wants a mentor for young players and a late-inning defensive replacement. What other market is there gonna be for the guy?

96. JD - Jul 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM

In the meantime we will root for the Marlins against the Braves. No?

97. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

JD, great that they are televising the Marlins' soap opera, right? Their season became pointless when Hanley's hand got infected–totally out of control. Is Johnson a free agent? Or is he under control for any years?

98. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

JD, yes (sigh), we will root for the Muh-muh-marlins… choke.

99. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Jacob Turner was the Baseball Americas #1 Tigers Prospect and #10 in all of baseball on Mayo's list.Marlins are very seasoned sellers.

100. A DC Wonk - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

A question about Demptster — everyone here is saying "just say no to a rental." But isn't it possible a deal can be worked out so as not to be rental? I.e., a sign-and-trade kind of thing? (Not that I expect that — I doubt Rizzo signs a big $ contract to somebody Dempter's age)

101. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Wonk, I think that's what either Dempster wants or the Braves want, and that may be the hold up.

102. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

The Atlanta blogs say Dempster would replace Jurrjens. But then, who would replace Delgado?

103. JD - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

NatsLady,Johnson is signed through next year at $13,750 per year and he's having a bad year and he's an injury waiting to happen.

104. JD - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

NatsLady, Delgado is in the minors right now. He was brought up for the double header just like Lannan.

105. JD - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

If the deal goes through their rotation would be: Hudson,Hanson,Sheets,Minor and Dempster. I'm not shaking in by boots.

106. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM

107. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM

JD, thanks, didn't realize that about Delgado. No idea we should look at Johnson, just trying to figure his status.

108. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM

JD, good point. Delgado was sent down before the All Star break.

109. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM

BAM BAM!!!

110. ehay2k - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Lombo got a good jump on that HR. You don't want Bryce to catch you in his "trot"

111. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM

So much for Bryce's XBH drought

112. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Very sad to hear about Ichiro! It has been very difficult year and a half for Ichiro fans to see him struggle to hit .280, steal at will, and gun down runners at home plate. I cannot root for Yanks but hope Ichiro achieves success.

113. Candide - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Got quiet in NYC pretty quick there…

114. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Who said they should rest Bryce? LOL

115. Candide - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Love the guy in the stands trying to one-bare-hand Espi's monster foul ball.

116. ehay2k - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM

LaRoche using his speed to go first to third. Nice!

117. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM

ehay2k, is that tongue in cheek? It was 3-2 and he was running on the pitch so I would hope so.

118. Candide - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Don't recall seeing the words "speed" and "LaRoche" in the same sentence before.

119. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Wow, Rizzo not on the phone. How often does that happen?

120. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Just noticed Leon is catching. Flores really hurting? Any word?

121. MicheleS - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM

NL. the Beats had on twitter that until Davey thinks he can catch 9 innings, Jesus will not play

122. Gonat - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Love that upstairs pitch to Bay for a swinging strike 3.

123. NatsLady - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Well, there goes part of the Fillies' sale.DKnobler ‏@DKnoblerVictorino has a right elbow contusion, Phillies say. He was hit by pitch he swung at (while striking out)Bonifacio hit a HR, it did leave the park according to Carp.

124. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Regarding the Pujols salary comment. I believe players are assessed taxes based on their state of residence, not state of employment. It's why so many players live in FLA during the off-season. There may be a tax lawyer who can confirm that, but that's my understanding.#4, IANAL, nor a tax expert, but I do happen to know that it varies by jurisdiction. Some tax income earned there, regardless.

125. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM

From Dick Heller of the Times.FP & Carp I hope those two get extended. I know that some complain they are homers, but come on, I would rather have them as homers than say.. Hawk Harrelson. At least I learn something from FP and Carp is a pro (whether there is Jammage or not)

126. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Gonat -I said LaRoche was using his speed. Can't get much more tongue in cheek than that. ;-)

127. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Dempster is still in the blue PJs. Heyman says it's down to 50-50.

128. Gonat - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM

ehay2k, I thought so!

129. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I really like Akra over Taylor. Just a totally different perspective on the field. Just another example of how far this team has come. :-)

130. waddu eye no - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM

gonat "Mark, is there any plans for Ian Desmond to do the platelet rich “blood spinning” for his oblique?"How much less blood, and fewer tearsWould have been spun for oblique tears?and i knew about the "fewer." just making noise.(a personal strength)gyfng

131. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Nice backhand toss by Lombo to start the DP!

132. A DC Wonk - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Wow that Wright is good, and so on fire

133. Gonat - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM

First JZim mistake in a long long time. In the old configuration, its just a double.

134. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Some reason we don't walk Wright? Just saying.

135. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Ehay2k.. Same with Kemp, Votto, McCutcheon..

136. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM

ehay, I always wonder that after he hits a home run.

137. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Yep – and Wright we see 18 times/year. Should have figured it out by now.

138. blovy8 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Dodger Stadium is a pretty good pitcher's park, that was my point. When you're becoming a free agent, keeping the era down, getting wins for a contender, that would kind of be a good thing.

139. djinFl. - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Keith Hernandez just said he expects the Nats to be there at the end of the season. Said watching J.Zimm is all you need to see or say when it comes to shutting down Strass. Said Det may become our #3 for the playoffs but will have to see if he continues his improvement for the next little bit. No negatives!

140. blovy8 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Yeah, that's about as far away as I've seen a backhand throw from a 2B in a long time.

141. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM

You don't walk a guy in the 4th inning with a 2 run lead. Unbelievable!!!

142. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Wright and McCutchen are the two best hitters in the NL.Zim's on fire, tough break

143. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:27 AM

djinfl.. good to hear the opposing teams perspective. How were the ATL guys? I have a feeling they were not as complimentary.

144. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I love Bobby C and FP

145. waddu eye no - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

if valdespin stays in, do we have a no duda day?

146. A DC Wonk - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

ehay2k said… Yep – and Wright we see 18 times/year. Should have figured it out by now.Figured what out? We already know he's a great hitter, he's on fire, and you can't make mistakes.Walking him every time up, I presume, is saracasm, right? Yeah, we see him 18 times per year, so, what, walk him 72 times per year? Hogwash.JZ is one of the top pitchers in baseball over the past month. A pitcher like that doesn't wave a white flag a walk _anybody_ when you have a two run lead and bases are empty.Really, now . . .

147. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

is this game moving fast or what

148. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Um, you do if there are 2 outs all he does is kill you and a light-hitting guy is up next. Because, by not walking him (and I don't mean full intentional walk, just give him nothing to hit and walk him that way), you may give up a double or a HR. That is all Wright hits against us. A man on second with two outs is worse than a man on first with two outs. Believe it.

149. Joe Seamhead - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Me,too,mick.

150. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

F&I.. some of us would rather give up the walk and face the crap in the rest of the line up than give up a dinger.

151. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Excuse me, has anybody see the sense of humor in here? I know we had one someplace. Geez, for a team in first place with a lead, this place gets cranky.

152. djinFl. - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM

@MicheleSMLB extra innings usually has the home team crew, so I didn't hear the Braves announcers.

153. Gonat - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM

3rd time thru the lineup, the Nats should be killing Young right now.

154. waddu eye no - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM

"Excuse me, has anybody see the sense of humor in here? I know we had one someplace. "and it's gwine to run all night.somebody bet on jason bay?

155. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM

it looks like Young has settled down

156. waddu eye no - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM

yeah. i'm being a bob tailed nag

157. peric - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Right now they could surely use slick fielding Alberto Gonzalez on the bench instead of Mark DeRosa. He got lucky and landed in Texas.

158. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM

like said… very fast moving game

159. Gonat - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Even though the score is 2-1, I see the Nats hitters getting flat. Someone needs to light a fire under them. Young has thrown some very hittable pitches.

160. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Mick.. this is why I love Jordan. Takes command, keeps the game flow fast. Let's hope it keeps up and Jordan can pitch thru 7 or 8

161. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM

MichelleS and ehay2k-You clearly don't understand baseball if you think Zimmermann should have walked David Wright. Find me one person in the game who would have walked him right there…ONE…and I will be happy to eat some crow.

162. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM

what is Young's ERA?

163. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM

MicheleShopefully at least 7

164. peric - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM

But isn't it possible a deal can be worked out so as not to be rental? I.e., a sign-and-trade kind of thing? (Not that I expect that According to some speculation that's what the hold up is about on the trade. The Braves want Dempster long-term but he may want to wait for free agency. Depends on the # of years. There is no way Rizzo would even considering the pitching he has in the pipeline. That's why anyone the Nats acquire has to be at the same level as what they have now. And that's very hard to come by.

165. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM

so e are Marlins fans the next 3 nights, lol go Ozzie

166. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM

F&I.. just saying I don't like giving up dingers to the best hitters on the team we are playing seen that broken record too much this year – which is why I mentioned Votto, Kemp and McCutcheon.and we call can express our opinions, you may not agree but that's okay, not everyone agrees with your opionions either.

167. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM

peric… exactly, with what Nats have in the minors, you do not need Dempster long term

168. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:45 AM

MLB scout says Zim has thrown 83 pitches but has plenty left in the tank, his fast ball is at 93mph

169. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Peric, agree, sounds like Dempster wants to become a FA and also heard that he wants to do his Spring Training in AZ, so that kind of cancels out the Nats and the Braves. If he is truly a rental, he should be cheaper, but not saying that we need him.

170. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM

…. bet Dempster is thinking pinstripes in 2013, lol

171. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:48 AM

F&I, I didn't say intentionally walk. But in that situation, with 2 outs, and Davis up, I bet there are a lot of people who would have considered pitching carefully and risk walking Wright. But I bet there are even more that that would say that in that situation, on a 1-2 count, you don't give him anything with velocity over the plate. Baseball is more complex that I think you are capable of grasping. However, I do give you credit that you are very good at taking shots at people to try to prop yourself up.

172. Joe Seamhead - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:49 AM

That Ryan Zimm sure can't throw anymore.

173. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM

ehay2k I bet Zim will say that was not the pitch he wanted to throw on 0-2. He could have felt that he was in zone at the moment and thought maybe he could fool wright with a fastball

174. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Young era 3.98

175. #4 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:52 AM

176. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Young at 94 pitches, we got to get him now

177. A DC Wonk - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:53 AM

ehay2k said… F&I, I didn't say intentionally walk. But in that situation, with 2 outs, and Davis up, I bet there are a lot of people who would have considered pitching carefullyWell, duh. Do you think JZ wasn't trying to pitch him very carefully? He missed. He's not perfect.Baseball is more complex that I think you are capable of grasping.I know you weren't directing that at me, but, still, I say: when you're the best pitcher in the league over the past month, you go after batters, no matter who they are — especially if you have a *two* run lead, and bases are empty.So, should the Nats walk Wright to lead off the next inning? Put the lead-off guy on in a one run game?Ridiculous!

178. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:53 AM

#4 ump called time

179. blovy8 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM

hate the dive into first

180. A DC Wonk - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM

#4 said… That ball hit Valdespin in the foot. It should have been a dead ball and strike one.That's what I saw, too — but I didn't hear anybody mention it!

181. Joe Seamhead - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I thought it him him, too, 4. So did Jordan and Sandy.

182. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Mick, I'm sure Zimm wants that pitch back. The problem is that we have not been able to "fool Wright with a fastball" all year. That approach is a hell of a lot riskier than pitching carefully and walking him.

183. ehay2k - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Wonk, I never said walk him if he were leading off. There were two outs with no one on and Davis on deck. Give him nothing to hit and if he walks, he walks. Livo understood who he wanted to pitch to and who he didn't

184. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:56 AM

ehay2k I agreeso Zim only going 6 tonight

185. A DC Wonk - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM

So, help me out: why RH TyMo as a PH? Isn't that situation exactly why Corey Brown was brought up for?

186. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Wonk.. I think some of us are having flash backs to the other homers that have been hit off of the SP's by the best hitters in the game. Just not something we want to relive.Sigh, JZ is out after 6, got to be the rain or Davey was trying to go for more runs with Tyler.

187. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Wonk…. good question

188. mick - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM

all right Drew

189. blovy8 - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:01 AM

that was a LOUD friggin out

190. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Snicker…Jayson Stark‏@jaysonst Hard not to notice that Roy Halladay's first 1-2-3 inning of the night came in the 6th inning — against the 7-8-9 hitters.

191. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Putting this question out there?Why pull drew after 1 out and bring in Gonzales?

192. Gonat - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Storen does his job* as a ROOGY.*He got the out but considering the expletive that I heard him exclaim I believe he knew he was lucky on that pitch

193. Secret wasian man - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Just don't get Tyler more. Neverwould have taken out zimm

194. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM

OMG This just sucks!

195. Gonat - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM

And there goes JZim's Win. Unreal.

196. MicheleS - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Sorry about that, but wow, that was a cruddy home run and another wasted outing by Jordan

197. Gonat - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Can I say it just isn't fair?

198. Joe Seamhead - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Two pitches, one out for Drew. One pitch for Mike Gonzalez and no W for Jordan.Stinks.