Jul 25, 2012, 10:03 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Stephen Strasburg struck out 11 over seven innings to earn his 11th win.
NEW YORK — As much as Davey Johnson and Steve McCatty have been pounding the idea into Stephen Strasburg’s head to use his fastball more and not fiddle around with his devastating offspeed stuff, it’s not always as easy as it sounds.
“Once you’ve got, I guess, the lights are on and you’re facing another team, you want to go out there and really make your stuff really dirty,” Strasburg said. “It’s something that I think when I take a step back and relax and let it happen, instead of force the issue, it helps out a lot.”
If that’s true, Strasburg might have been so relaxed this afternoon he mistakenly thought he was lounging on a Caribbean beach instead of standing on the mound at Citi Field before a crowd of 35,517.
Utilizing his fastball more than ever and attacking the Mets lineup with an aggressive approach the Nationals haven’t always seen out of him, Strasburg steamrolled his way through seven innings and pitched his club to a 5-2 victory, a series sweep and a new high-water mark for the season.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to stay red-hot in Atlanta
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching