Jul 25, 2012, 7:04 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse is all smiles after clubbing his second-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: They've failed plenty of times this season to pull off a series sweep when given the opportunity, but today the Nationals seized the opportunity and stepped on the Mets' throats. For that, they can thank Stephen Strasburg, who churned out seven dominant innings, striking out 11 while allowing only one run (Ike Davis' solo homer in the second). Strasburg's teammates bolstered him with plenty of run support, with Michael Morse and Danny Espinosa clubbing back-to-back homers in the top of the second and Adam LaRoche adding a two-run bomb in the seventh. Nothing ever comes easy for the Nationals, though, so the bullpen gave everyone a scare in the eighth when Henry Rodriguez walked both batters he faced and then Craig Stammen walked another to load the bases. No worries, because Drew Storen recorded a huge out against David Wright to end the threat, and Tyler Clippard finished off the ninth to secure the sweep and put the Nats 19 games over .500, matching their best record in eight seasons in D.C.
Hitting highlight: How much has Espinosa turned the corner from the left side of the plate? He's gone all the way around the block. With aRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers