Game 98: Nats at Brewers

Jul 26, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Miller Park hosts the Nationals for a four-game, weekend series.

The Nationals took on a reeling Mets team this week and dealt them something of a death blow during a three-game sweep. Now they get to face a Brewers club that has lost six in a row and is on the verge of a complete collapse itself. Fortuitous timing on the Nats' part.

Davey Johnson will hope this recent string of stellar starting pitching (1.32 ERA over the last six games) continues tonight with Edwin Jackson, who got this run going last weekend against the Braves. He'll face a potent Milwaukee lineup that leads the NL with 116 home runs.

No changes to Johnson's lineup. He's found a combination that works, so why start tinkering now? They'll go up against right-hander Yovani Gallardo, who is having a strong month (2.13 ERA in four July starts).

I'm not at Miller Park for this season, but please keep the conversation going in my stead as always…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MILWAUKEE BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 8:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 9 mph LF to RF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM

David Wright was 1 for 12 in the recent series (the 1 was a HR) so .083/.083/.333 So, maybe we can do as well with Ryan Braun…

2. MicheleS - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Bummer. Was hoping for Mark updates!I think it is time we paid back the Brewers for beating us up over the last few years (yes we have stunk against them). Let's step on their throats and force them to trade Greinke before Sunday!

3. Steady Eddie - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I do remember it was in Milwaukee that Willingham had that 2 grand slams in consecutive innings game. Maybe with their bullpen, Beast or ALR can do that. Or if JZimm is pitching and hitting, could line up for Zim.Or 3-4 wins without that. Not greedy, just want the curly Ws.

4. Another_Sam - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Did you guys already discuss this: it seems to me that Davy has hit another gear. Maybe every contender does it this time a year. I'm talking about howhe handles the staff, mostly. He's got a much quicker hook in protecting a lead. It's like every game is a playoff game or something. Is the the way that contenders always do it? [It's been so long since I followed a contender. LOL]

5. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM

You're stuck depending on the Ori'holes channel: MASN. And the FAN. Twitter is it I guess.

6. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM

If he hasn't been traded by then, we should see Greinke on Sunday against Gio.

7. Section 222 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Extra added bonus for staying up late — getting to watch Nyjer in a cap that does not not have a curly W on it. Sweet.I really am not looking forward to watching that stupid mascot get dunked into the water after home runs. So guys, no gopher balls please, and feel free to pitch around Braun.

8. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM

In spite of their winning record this year, the Nats have yet to have a long winning streak. Now they are at 5 straight. If EJax can repeat his last performance against the Braves tonight, against the Brewers, we will be set up for another sweep.We've got the rest of the NL East by the neck. Time to choke off all hope.

9. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM

NatsLady, My gut feeling is the Brewers won't risk injury with Greinke. They are going to get a nice haul for him even if he's a rental and they are gonna want to protect that. PS. if the Braves were willing to trade Delgado for a Dempster rental what do you think they will give up for Greinke?

10. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Great. We get the great noodle arm in CF.Maybe even a tantrum or two.

11. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM

23 year old third baseman Carlos Rivero now batting .300 in AAA Syracuse. Looks like Rizzo guessed right on that risk.

12. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Looks like losing Prince was pretty catastrophic for the Brewers.

13. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM

'Looks like losing Prince was pretty catastrophic for the Brewers' That and their grenade throwing bullpen.

14. MicheleS - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM

NJ.. I am hoping for a serious meltdown by the Brewers CF.. It could be fun to watch (and be thankful he is not on our team anymore!)

15. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM

He's got a much quicker hook in protecting a lead. It's like every game is a playoff game or something. Is the the way that contenders always do it?Maybe it was that Friday game against the Braves? Plus he's been giving his bullpen guys every chance to ramp up for the 2nd half. Its here now. He started out slow because he has a fairly young team and especially the pitching staff. He didn't know what he had … now he has a better idea. They were probably hoping Lidge would end as a reliable go-to there but that didn't happen. Just like CM Wang.

16. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:46 PM

It looks like: Texas,Atlanta, Chicago or the Angels as the front runners for Greinke and the Sox probably don't have enough to get him. I think Atlanta ends up with either Dempster or Greinke; they are obviously very motivated.

17. SonnyG10 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Would love to see Bryce take an extra base off Nyjer "Noodle Arm" Morgan.

18. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I also think that Greinke won't sign an extension with anyone; he seems very motivated to test the FA market so if Atlanta trades say Delgado and Tehran for him they may end up with nothing at the end of the year. Quite a gamble but they are obviously very confident they can go far this year.

19. DCJohn - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM

What's the betting that Nyjer does something stupid against his old team. We know he's going to be showboating when he gets on base. My betting is that his behavior will affect the out come of the game.Let's hope their bull pen does for us as they did for the Phillies.

20. PFB Balls of Fire - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Another_Sam,I agree with you, can't wait to see Davey in the post-season. I think he does a great job in-season of thinking ahead (at least as far as I can tell, balancing the short and long-term, but in the post-season it will be fun to see.

21. PFB Balls of Fire - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Anyone know the Braves minor league system well? It's my understanding they don't have a depth of top prospects to trade, would be surprising if they could land Greinke. Unless they really are willing to part with Teheran, which I doubt.

22. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Losing Prince had no effect on Ryan Braun. And note to Davey……if you get to a point in the game when his at bat can make a difference, you might want to pitch around him.

23. The Fox - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Using multiple relievers right now is mostly because of the Friday meltdown.When Davey was interviewed he said (paraphrase) "I have to trust more of the guys in my bullpen"…"I do trust them but I have to use them, I have to use more than Burnett and Clippard." Davey has always been about match ups even when some of them look really strange. So my take is if he has a guy in the bullpen who can pitch and its a good match up for him he will use it. I think we will see it more in games against teams in their division. That's my take anyhow?Miller Park is not one the the Nationals favorite parks maybe it just a coincidence but according to ESPN the last time they won there was 2009.Milwaukee is currently on a 6 game losing streak but all of those loses were on the road.

24. The Fox - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM

For a team to trade for Greinke and it not be a rental they are going to have to make a big commitment to him mid-season. Greinke will want Cain or Hamels type money and years and it will have to be a team Greinke will want to spend the prime years of his career. I don't think Greinke has refusal rights so there is less of a chance that he get to have a big say in the decision so it makes it more likly that it will be a rental.

25. davem23 - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Tony Plush, in the house!

26. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM

So – is Braun on that "always walk" list? During the last few weeks I have mentioned several times how grateful I am that our guys are so classy in their behavior. Nobody pimps homeruns, does any crazy little dances,punches cooling fans, gets kicked out or throws tantrums. Even when Bryce got angry with his bat he did it down in the tunnel out of sight. And he is a teenager. I love it that Nyjer is someone else's headache. Go Nats!!!

27. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Hoping for a happy game results tomorrow a.m. as I don't expect to stay up for the whole thing.Go, EJ! Go, NATS!!

28. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM

PFB, The Braves have Delgado and Tehran who are almost major league ready starters and are considered very good prospects. I am pretty sure the Brewers would make that deal but I am also pretty sure that Greinke won't commit to an extension so they would be taking quite a chance .

29. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:22 PM

TradeDeadliner ‏@TradeDeadliner#Cubs and #Dodgers are moving closer to a deal for Ryan Dempster. #Cubs are discussing many trades at the moment says @thekapman

30. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Unless they really are willing to part with Teheran, which I doubt.Unless they fire their GM and hire Bowden. That won't happen.

31. JayB - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Harper is going to run all over that noodle arm. Best revenge is winning….Morgan is a dope and on a losing team. No coincidence.

32. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM

'Unless they fire their GM and hire Bowden. That won't happen.'I dunno; they were willing to trade Delgado for a Dempster rental.

33. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM

So – is Braun on that "always walk" list?MVP caliber player. Sure, makes sense. But as we've seen the pitchers sometimes have something to say about that. They might want to pitch to him.

34. Old Wino - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Life is good. EJax will show up nice. Relax.

35. A DC Wonk - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM

So – is Braun on that "always walk" list?Oy, that again? Wright was 1-for-12. Should we have walked him 12 times?

36. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM

JD, yeah, that was a serious overpay unless we saw a different Delgado than the Braves are seeing. He looked pretty good to me for a "prospect."

37. NatsNut - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM

From the last post, swami, this cracked me up because I understand it! LOLbaseballswami said… …The only problem [with watching late games] is that if things get exciting at the end it takes me a while to peel myself off the ceiling."

38. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Wonk, I think you are hearing reverbs of Votto and McCutchen… They were traumatizing but I think we might be over it.

39. NatsNut - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Wonk, relax, the do-not-pitch-to list isn't literal. ;)

40. Steady Eddie - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM

"They were willing to trade Delgado for a Dempster rental.". True, but Dempster is classic rental material at his age, and Delgado has looked kind of erratic, so that's a fair trade. Grienke is NOT worth the high price he'd command as a rental, because of he's traded somewhere without an extension, he could get a little pouty and be a really bad deal. You don't want him on any team unless you can get him to sign an extension, that is, get HIS affirmation it's someplace he wants to be long-term.

41. A DC Wonk - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Another_Sam said… Did you guys already discuss this: it seems to me that Davy has hit another gear. Maybe every contender does it this time a year.Bingo. (Well, not every contender, but smart managers do)I'm talking about howhe handles the staff, mostly. He's got a much quicker hook in protecting a lead.Exactly. The beginning of the season is for figuring out what you got, in particular, the make-up of the pitching staff — can they get into, and back out of, a bases-loaded jam? Can they get their act together after giving up 3 runs in the first? And/or, you leave pitchers in so that can learn stuff and/or go out on a positive note.The second half of the season, if the manager thinks there enough to win it — is to go out and try and win it with the pieces that you've developed, and with the players that you now understand better (strengths, weaknesses, mental fortitude, etc.)Similarly with the position players. I'm not positive Davey would have as much patience with non-producers (such as Espi in the early season, etc.). Davey knew he had time for Espi to work it out, etc. But now, post All Star Break, leading the division, is for winning games.

42. Steady Eddie - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

NL — I'm pretty sure it was Delgado that we lit up in one of our games in Atlants earlier this year (though I recall their bullpen helped us some there too). I'd go with Teheran's potential over Delgado's but then thst's just me.

43. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I don't think it's clear at all whether Greinke wants an extension (like Gio) or doesn't. It might be that he doesn't because he (a) wants to test free-agency and (b) isn't sure, given his problems, whether he will adjust to a particular city. Does he want a two month deal to see if he is comfortable in a new city;orDoes he want an immediate extension so he does not have the uncertainty of free-agency and another adjustment?Very difficult to say.

44. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Yes, the – don't pitch to – was intended to be taken with a grain of salt. I love the way the guys handled David Wright, especially Drew. As always, hoping for a good, clean game of well played baseball with no injuries. Go Nats!

45. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Steady, We hit Delgado hard in one game; he beat Strasburg in another and pitched pretty well this past Saturday but lost to Lannan. Yes he's been eratic but he's 22 throws 95 MPH and has all the other pitches; I'd take on his potential.

46. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM

One thing is clear … Kenny is after the guy just like he was Dunn. But, I'm not sure Grienke would have a lot of respect for Kenny Williams. After all Grienke is a self-professed baseball geek and that does apparently factor into to his decision making process. The whole FO is in Milwaukee for this series. It would be interesting to learn if ownership is represented as well.

47. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM

NatsLady, From everything I read Greinke is all set to test free agency. He is 3 months away and he won't give up this opportunity to pick the one team he wants to be with for the long haul. That said he has expressed an interest in pitching in Atlanta so they probably have a good chance to retain him after this year if they get him but it;s a roll of the dice unless you feel that he is guaranteed to take you over the top and given their current position I don't see how they can make such an assumption.

48. JD - Jul 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM

'The whole FO is in Milwaukee for this series. It would be interesting to learn if ownership is represented as well.' I see no way for us to land Greinke. I wouldn't mess with the core of the team at this time and a package of our minor leaguers won't cut it.

49. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure we want Greinke for the next six or seven years, do we? And would he sign for less than that? We already have serious financial commitments that are going to come due in that period, and wouldn't you rather extend JZ, and have some payroll flexibility for homegrown talent? I worry that we'll end up with a lot of money committed to a few players (like the Phillies).

50. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

51. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I see no way for us to land Greinke. I wouldn't mess with the core of the team at this time and a package of our minor leaguers won't cut it.Which is why I am interested to learn whether ownership is there … it may not be Grienke they are after. Someone was mentioning the upside of 22 year old Delgado? Could be they are there to trade from the 25 man with another team or teams? Still, Grienke seems the most obvious.

52. baseballswami - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM

NatsLady — I think Greinke is going to cost a lot in terms of prospects in a trade and then dollars later on. I am afraid that we would end up like the Phils and have tons of money committed way down the road that would tie our hands. And yes, you know I would definitely rather sew up JZim long-term.

53. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM

We may not get Stras in his free agency, and it seems improbable (despite his words) that we'll get Bryce, but I sure would like to have the resources to try to get them.You're thinking like an Orioles fan or something … the Lerners ARE the wealthiest owners in baseball. No Ponzi pyramid schemes for the them. Yes, Natslady even over the Yankees. The idea is to grow the Nats franchise into one that has the same value as the Yankees. To do that you need a Stras and a Harper and then some. I wouldn't underestimate the Lerners. The real problems start after Ted Lerner is gone IMO. Hopefully, he'll hang in there to at least ensure Stras and Harper are signed just like Zimmerman.

54. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

We already have serious financial commitments that are going to come due in that period, and wouldn't you rather extend JZ, and have some payroll flexibility for homegrown talent?The really interesting thing is Grienke would take all of that into account. Most players won't. Grienke has dealt with Ted Lerner before and came away impressed. Ted may keep a low public profile but he seems like a go-getter behind the scenes.

55. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM

56. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM

BTW, Rendon just crushed another home run during his rehab after moving from the GCL to Auburn. Me thinks we'll be seeing him come September 1st. That should be very interesting indeed! Zim -> first base.

57. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM

peric, I don't underestimate the Lerners; but there is a limit–even if the limit is the luxury tax. If we can improve the TV deal that would help, for sure.Ted has a great deal more money and leverage with the MLB than does Angelos at this point. The renovation / restoration of the Anacostia area around the stadium is going to aid him in that. They see that Ted is in it in DC for the long haul. Is Angel'O's? Probably not. Me thinks you'll see Ted taking coup when all is said and done with the TV deal.

58. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

LOL, the ultimate insult–thinking like an Orioles fan! I've been to Camden Yards exactly once, and that was for a Nats game. So if I'm thinking like one, it's entirely coincidental. Oh, and, CMW. Did I say CMW in this post? Yup, I did. Good. :))))) It's so fun to get peric started…

59. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM

60. SonnyG10 - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Does anyone know how Grienke has gotten along with his teammates, especially other pitchers?

61. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Kilgore says he hasn't seen any sign of ownership …however, Ted likes to act like he is a founding member of the Armed Forces Security Agency which became the National Security Agency. He likes to hide his movements. Reminds me of George Cave. So, you never know … but I agree it seems unlikely. Who do you cast out of the rotation to fit Grienke in? They'd have to trade Jackson for potential trade bait for Milwaukee … it could happen … if Grienke signs an extension and Jackson on the 1 year plan to free agency … nah …

62. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

CMW and Lannan might also bring some prospects in return … you never know …

63. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Wait, I forgot something. Jayson Werth. There ya go, all peric's pet peeves. I think I got 'em.I have no problem with Jayson Werth as a bench bat and late inning defensive replacement. I'm not convinced he deserves to start for this team. Are Davey and ownership going to go along with that? I wonder.

64. Drew - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Months ago I was disappointed that the Nats didn't take a flyer on Nori Aoki as a stopgap cf and lead off hitter. We're in good shape now with Harper, Bernadina and Brown holding down the fort quite capably until Mr. Goodwin cometh.That said, looks like Aoki has done well for the Brew Crew, putting up a .353 on base percentage.

65. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

We're in good shape now with Harper, Bernadina and Brown holding down the fort quite capably until Mr. Goodwin cometh.Corey Brown batted .300 hit 21 homers, 15 doubles, and 7 triples leading off and went to the IL All Star game. Right now Eury Perez is batting .473 leading off in AAA. Kobernus has had a pretty decent year in Harrisburg. Goodwin is steadily climbing but he has some real power is he a lead off bat? Kind of like Brown? So, why do they need old dudes who can't throw and are average fielders like Bourn? Why do they need Aoki?They don't they have plenty and to spare inside the organization. The REAL problem is teaching fans to have more patience with young prospects. That's the real issue not the talent in this organization …Arrgh that fool Patrick Fitzgerald is still talking about getting a CF in the offseason? Its not happening people Davey said they had plenty and to spare in the organization and he was right. As he mentioned Rizzo is into insurance more than he is. But then Davey can retire tomorrow. Rizzo is there yet … ;)

66. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWPMentioned to an AL scout it doesn't look like the Nats will do much at the deadline. He said back, "Well, yeah. Why would they?"

67. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

68. hiramhover - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Are Davey and ownership going to go along with that? I wonder.Seriously?! You wonder that? I don't.

69. Drew - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Peric: If I wasn't clear, I don't think they need to go out and get a center fielder, now that Goodwin is on the fast track.I was just noting that Aoki was a nice move by Mileaukee.

70. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Mentioned to an AL scout it doesn't look like the Nats will do much at the deadline. He said back, "Well, yeah. Why would they?"1. They are going to shut down Strasburg. The beat types from other towns are now getting Davey angry when they ask … its going to happen.2. The Nats are not in it for one year only. This is a multiyear plan … just the kind Ted Lerner likes to negotiate and put together. Its why he is wealthy today starting out on a shoestring and then building the first mall in Wheaton Plaza. The Nats will execute trades that improve them over the long run. I have no doubts about that.What would an AL scout know about that? He probably believes they won't shut Strasburg down. He is probably from Baltimore.

71. Drew - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Er, Milwaukee.

72. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Seriously?! You wonder that? I don't.He's pushing 34 years old. He has had two much less than adequate years. I do wonder.

73. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

If I wasn't clear, I don't think they need to go out and get a center fielder, now that Goodwin is on the fast track.Yes, I was just adding on to it … sorry … forgot to mention Erik Komatsu. Enough teams were impressed with him even though he had never played in AAA and barely in AA this past offseason and into the season. The Nats have PLENTY and to spare.

74. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

He is probably from Baltimore. LOL. Good one!Is it raining in Milwaukee? My computer says it is. How come the rain is following the Nats around?

75. peric - Jul 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Jayson Werth : same age as Santana Moss.

76. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

77. baseballswami - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

So the Nats organization has a plan for the next 5 years. It appears to be a very good one. Remember when we used to make fun of "The Plan" and thought it would never work out? Guilty as charge right here. It's just so nice to watch these things coming around after those years that were so tough.

78. peric - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM

"The Plan" and thought it would never work out? Guilty as charge right here.Well we do know one first step to the plan was hiring Rizzo to be Asst. GM and run the draft in 2006. But is it the same plan they had after Bowden resigned and Rizzo took over? Me thinks its quite a bit different and better at looking down the road while managing the present.

79. baseballswami - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Agreed that it's not quite the same plan. I hated the part of the old plan where we hired every used up has-been on the market because they were cheap and desperate.

80. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Nyjer has 5 RBIs this year. That's Alberto Gonzales territory.

81. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

YEA! 1-2-3 for EDWIN!! Good Edwin shows up in the first

82. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM

ALR!!! YES! BOOM STICK!!!

83. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM

No way for Nyjer to mess that one up! :)

84. JaneB - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Such a sweet hit by ALR! Oh how many times have I eaten my words from last year about him. I'm so glad he is OURS.And Nyjer. I feel like when you were in Junior high school and you had a crush on some guy and then grew up and went, "Seriously?!? What was wrong with me?" And I guess the answer, now as then, was I was desperate for SOMETHING to get excited about with the Nats the first year Nyjer arrived in DC. But now I see him and think, "Seriously?!?"

85. peric - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

FP seems to share the opinion I expressed when Desmond first went to the bench with his injury; about Espinosa at shortstop. Moving back there took his mind off his hitting until he gets to the plate.

86. hiramhover - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

pericI wasn't wondering what you think – everybody around here is painfully aware of that, along with your propensity for odd definitions and odder stats (e.g., someone who turned 33 two months ago is "pushing 34"; one off year in 2011 suddenly becomes two). I was questioning whether you really thought Davey, Rizzo, et al could take such a suggestion seriously.

87. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM

LOMBO!!! THis is awesome!!!

88. JaneB - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM

As Mark would say, Sweet Fancy Moses!

89. JaneB - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I loved FP's tidbit that in a rally, everyone in the dugout stays where they are. What a lovely inning. GYFNG!

90. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Big props to E-Jax for drawing a walk. And to Lombo of course for a two out base clearing hit. Great inning guys.

91. Drew - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Lombo! Gallardo's at 45 pitches in two innings.Flip the turtle and go after that weak middle relief.

92. baseballswami - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Lombo is the man with bases loaded! 4 for 5 with 8 rbi's. Love this kid!

93. peric - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I was questioning whether you really thought Davey, Rizzo, et al could take such a suggestion seriously.Right now they appear to be running on all cylinders. If you put a weak bat in this lineup (and Werth has yet to show that he still has it … ) along with Flores one could see where it might break the current hot streak of hitting. I would bring Werth in very slowly and start him off on the bench if they continue this torrid hitting. Why change? Because he has a 126 million contract/ That would be really stupid … why break what ain't broken.

94. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Hey there!! Something Morse can catch up to!!

95. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM

The Brewers are a great hitting team!Bullpen has blown 19 saves. Imagine where they'd be with a real closer — Imagine.

96. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:51 AM

haha How did Jax escape that one?

97. RickH - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Hey, gang. Very enjoyable comment thread tonight.

98. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Can we get some updates? I'm out on the edge of the great Midwest, on tour. What's happening?

99. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM

chili.. sorry about that. We are up 4-0. ALR hit a BOMB, and Lombo hit a triple with the bases loaded. 1st inning, Edwin looked good, 2nd inning gave up a couple of bloopers, but got out of it with two pops ups (one that Bryce showed of the cannon). So it's all good right now

100. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Chili.. Gallardo has 59 picthes thru 3, so you know that the Nats are licking there chops to get into that bullpen

101. baseballswami - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Does everyone else think Bernie looks ok? I thought maybe his hammy was bothering him when he pulled up at third – then he almost walked home.

102. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Boy did Nyjer look bad in that at bat. This is fun. E-Jax is intent on keeping the streak of great starts going.

103. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Another 1-2-3 for Edwin.. Last out.. Weak grounder by Nyjer to ALR. to the top of the 4th we go

104. JaneB - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Bernie looked the same way to me.

105. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Uh .. Bernie is a little wimpy, maybe?

106. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Hmm SOmething to watch with Bernie then

107. hiramhover - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

EJax, by comparison, is quite efficient so far- 41 pitches thru 3 innings, with 2 hits, 3 Ks and 0 BBs.

108. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Six in a row for Jax; 5 in a row now for Gallardo. Both settling in.

109. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Bernie is a whiz coming off the bench — for some reason, when he starts (previous series excluded) he ain't much.

110. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:13 AM

We seldom see Moore anymore, do we?

111. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Quick 1-2-3 for the Nats.. Not a lot of activity there.. hope we get into that bullpen soon

112. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Moore seems to be the opposite of Bernadina: when Moore gets starts and lots of AB's, he awesome; Bernie slumps when he starts and tears it up when he pinch hits.

113. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Got Braun out with a grounder to Espi, but Ramirez tatooed one to deep center, luckily it stayed in. So a man on second 1 out

114. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Thanks. Keep it coming. For some reason, MLB won't give me Charlie & Dave tonight.

115. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:24 AM

hart walked…Edwin's is nibbling. grrrrr…

116. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:24 AM

OK, now I got MLB radio. Thanks y'all.

117. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Weeks grounded to Espi, they only got 1 at 2nd. So 2 outs and Lucroy up

118. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Lucroy just flied out to Center.. Still 4-0

119. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:31 AM

WowEdwin 'Houdini' Jackson

120. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Hey Chili Mo: Next time your stuck: espn.com/mlb.scores/playbyplayand your only about 25 seconds behind, pitch by pitch.

121. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Uh Oh we almost caught Nyjer taking a mental snooze.

122. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:35 AM

How far we've come. Once upon a time, Nyjer was a good addition for us. Now he could barely make our 40 man roster.

123. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM

MY MAN EDWIN!!!! WOW!!!! No Prima Donna there!!!

124. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Wow.Edwin "Hustle" Jackson

125. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Gallardo is wearing out.

126. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Jackson is a great runner, isn't he?

127. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Gotta say that's one thing I like about Jackson — he plays the game like a complete player.

128. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Thanks, Sincey. I could get MLB At-Bat, and gameday, I just wasn't getting radio for a while there for C&D, and was coming in late, chagrined to see Mark didn't make the trip. I'm in northern Ill, and the weather is perfect.

129. Gonat - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Action Jackson!

130. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Better get the bullpen busy, Mil.

131. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Attending a game at Miller Park during this series, sofa?

132. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Next one leaving the park for Zim

133. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:39 AM

he's a ball player, isn't he, Theo… Gotta love it.

134. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM

That's the way it's done. Good job.

135. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Hoping to get to Wrigley for the Pirates later, but alas, no, FS.

136. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Edwin, nice base hit in the top of the 5th. Lombo popped out to Center. Harper hits a single to center and EDWIN hustled and slid into 3rd – safe.. That was a daring move! Base hit by RZ and Bryce at 3rd. Edwin SCORES. Bryce was running, so he made it easy into 3rd! Still 1 out and we are up 5-0

137. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Man, these guys are just radioactive right now. GYFNG

138. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:43 AM

ALR hits a bouncer to 1b, Harper scores and there are 2 outs.. 6-0…SWEET!! Gallardo is over 90 pitches

139. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:44 AM

BEAST!!! hit's one to center. and RZ Scores. 7-0

140. RickH - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Nats piling on!!! 7-0.

141. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:45 AM

oh well, Wrigley is a good compensation.wow we piling it on Gallardo.

142. UnkyD - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Did Nyger even try to throw Morse out…? I love it!

143. mick - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM

save bullpen time, lol

144. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Is there no one on this team who will make an out? !!! Great stuff tonight.

145. mick - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM

i remember Harvey Kuehn, Bill Veck, Robin Yount, Vukovich, man that was 30 years ago

146. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM

espi strikes out, but we are up 7-0. Gallardo is at 99 pitches.. Bullpen warming up

147. mick - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM

wonder of Ejax could go 8?

148. UnkyD - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Throw Zim out, I mean…?

149. mick - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Ejax at 63 pitches

150. mick - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I know i'm going to get beaten over the head after I say this…. but why not pitch HRod this game, lol

151. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:55 AM

mick, that's an excellent idea! but have mattheus ready to bail him out.

152. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM

2 Outs.. but Gallardo hit a double. Nyjer just hit one up the middle that hit Edwin… Braun up…

153. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Braun popped it up.. still 7-0 and we are into the 6th.. HMMM Braun can be off the do not pitch list.

154. Gonat - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:59 AM

EJax walking the tightrope. Don't fall off Edwin. ERA improving!

155. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Unky, that's N-Y-J-E-R.NYJER.I can do this all season if I have to.

156. Drew - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Turtle flippage

157. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:01 AM

So Henderson came on in relief of Gallardo.. MLB Debut and he strikes out the Shark

158. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:03 AM

And a 1-2-3 onto the bottom of the 6th

159. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I have got C&D now, Michele, and thanks for the updates.

160. DannyEllinosa - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Complete game for Edwin tonite please

161. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Remember when there was concern about E-Jax's velocity?

162. Steady Eddie - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Little more of this first pitch swinging by the Brews (Ramirez filed out to deep right) and EJax could be looking at giving the bullpen a night off. Now EJax Ks Corey Hart on a couple of nasty sliders.

163. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Chili.. good to know, b/c I am fading fast…

164. UnkyD - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:13 AM

'Chili Mo' — Section 3, My Sofa said…Unky, that's N-Y-J-E-R.NYJER.I can do this all season if I have to.——————-//…sigh…. The sad part is; I stopped and thought it through, that time… It looked right to me…. Imahafta find him a symbol, like Prince used…

165. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Just put on the TV. Did Morse make that single into a double?

166. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM

oooooooo—Lombo, two nice plays!!!! Good kid.

167. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM

With a 7 run lead, let Ejax come out for 7th despite looking shaky.

168. DannyEllinosa - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I think Edwin said "Lombo!" too!

169. Gonat - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Unreal. Houdini act in the 6th by EJax.

170. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Unky, maybe a baseball glove bouncing off the turf?

171. NatsNut - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I wonder how many do-not-pitch-to lists our boys are on? =)

172. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Geez NL. Always looking for the dark side on Morse. Did you notice we're up 7-0? And no, it was a clean hard hit ball.

173. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:18 AM

NatsNut..I am betting Stras is on that list ;-)

174. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I wonder how many do-not-pitch-to lists our boys are on? =)Let's see, you don't pitch to Harper, you don't pitch to Zim, you sure don't pitch to LaRoche, you'd rather not pitch to Morse, and these days, you don't pitch to Espi either. Sheesh, who can you pitch to? Flores.

175. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Morse another nice hit and it's 8-0..Cool..I still don't feel safe to go to bed though.

176. Drew - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Turtle whacks!

177. Gonat - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Danny swinging for the fences with that long swing. Davey needs to talk to that young man. Line drives Danny.

178. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Turtle Duffs!

179. NatsNut - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Drew, can you shorten these wordy posts of yours? Drew said…Turtle whacks!

180. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Anyone notice Zimmerman's HR trot from second to third on LaRoche's single to Morgan in CF?

181. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM

222, yes, it was. A single. Luckily, didn't matter. Yes, I noticed the score. :)

182. rogieshan - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM

183. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Salivating at the thought of this rotation for 4-5 years:StrasburgGioZimmermann GreinkeDetwiler/Meyer/Purke/GiolitoHopefully Rizzo gives him the hard sell tonight, so even if they don't trade for him…he considers coming here via free agency.

184. Nattering Nat - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Only one comment and one question for you guys tonight.Comment: is The Beast quietly being overlooked, if only in the sense that he's hitting superbly and even getting his power back at times, but he's not been featured much, given the other talent on this team.The question, tongue in cheek: are you willing to have Henry come in NOW, 8th or 9th, at 8-zip, if it's still 8-zip?

185. Gonat - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Time to get the bullpen going.

186. JaneB - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Yikes. That's how I throw.

187. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Well, that was strange. Wonder what caused Espi to throw one in the dugout?

188. NatsNut - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:35 AM

LOL JaneB

189. Gonat - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM

rogieshan said… Is no lead safe anymore after last Friday's implosion? Shouldn't Moore and DeRosa be in the game now to get a few extra at-bats in to stay sharp? July 26, 2012 10:32 PM _________________________________I think so + Corey Brown.

190. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM

There ya go, nice play by Morse!!

191. JaneB - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I liked that Morse just warned that fan he was coming in for the catch.

192. MicheleS - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Umm..not sure any lead is safe with Bad henry… Not even this one.. sadly.

193. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Also big Morse smile, he liked that one. Good job on Edwin, he doesn't lose his cool when bad things happen, gotta love it.

194. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Nattering, overlooked by whom?

195. Section 222 - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Gonat, rogoshian. I agree. Bring in the mop up squad, including H-Rod.

196. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Wait until the bottom of the 9th if we are still up by eight runs… and have M. Gonz ready…

197. Drew - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Nate Karns threw another gem at Potomac. He's 7-2 with a 1.84 ERA.Harrisburg's game was suspended in the second inning, but Goodwin already had a hit and two RBIs. The downer is that Danny Rosenbaum allowed three hits and a run in the first.Eury Perez had four base hits at Syracuse.

198. NatsLady - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Thornburg is the guy who is supposed to start Sunday if Greinke gets traded?

199. 'Chili Mo' -- Section 3, My Sofa - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Livo! Livo!We want Livo!

200. JaneB - Jul 27, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Okay. I really hope that Henry is at least fair-to-middling Henry. For his sake more than ours. Because I know, if he isn't, Davey will pull him. He won't let Henry lose the game. But wouldn't it be grand if he did okay tonight?