Game 99: Nats at Brewers

Jul 27, 2012, 8:51 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Ross Detwiler looks to pitch the Nats to another win at Miller Park tonight.

Enough gloating over the Nationals' record or latest accomplishment. There's another game to be played tonight as this first-place club tries to reach even loftier heights (not to mention a season-best, seven-game winning streak).

Ross Detwiler will be the man on the mound for the Nats, looking to continue his recent upswing. In five starts since rejoining the rotation, the left-hander has a 2.35 ERA (the Nats have won four of those starts). Rookie Sandy Leon is behind the plate for the fifth time in the last seven games as Davey Johnson tries to give Jesus Flores more time off.

In other roster news today, the Nationals have officially released Rick Ankiel. a procedural move that comes eight days after the veteran outfielder was designated for assignment.

As you know, I'm not in Milwaukee this weekend. Enjoy the game and the ongoing conversation here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MILWAUKEE BREWERS
Where: Miller Park
Gametime: 8:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Clear, 72 degrees, Wind 12 mph LF to RF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Wouldn't Lannan pitch tomorrow if he were on 4-days rest to pitch the Friday doubleheader?

2. Joe Seamhead - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM

#4 and mick, believe me I'm way past 40, and yes I remember the Yankees downfall. My point on this year's Phillies is the whole team is collapsing from first to worst in one year, and they have mortgaged their long term future virtually overnight. The Cole Hamel extension makes it even worse. Their present GM didn't build them, but is he really screwing them up. Ha!Of course, there is still enough talent on their present roster to play spoiler before this season is over.There will be two dogfights in the NL East, one between the Nats and Braves for first place, and the other between the Phillies, Marlins, and Mets for the cellar.

3. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

All this talk about downfalls is making me nervous. We need a good post about one of our players or something. In the meantime I have been following the Greinke deal – he is one "unique" dude. This should be interesting to watch from afar. Any word on whether or not we get Livo tomorrow?

4. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM

5. Feel Wood - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM

baseballswami said… So in the Houston/Pirates game last night, a reliever cam in to face a lefty, got him out. Then he went out to right field while another reliever faced the righty, then he came back from right field to face the next lefty again. Pretty interesting – pretty creative. He was able to stay in the game – that hitter doesn't usually hit to right field, the ball did not come to right field. He wasn't burned as a reliever. I don't think I have ever seen that before.Davey Johnson did something like this once, with the Mets I think. As Casey Stengel once said, you could look it up. I'm too lazy.

6. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM

swami (after watching), they said last night that the Brewers would call someone up for Sunday's start.

7. Drew - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Steady Eddie:I hope you're right and that Edwin finds a home with the Nats.

8. SCNatsFan - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I agree with EJax finding a home here… he has the hiccup start he gets pounded but he's a solid starter.

9. UnkyD - Jul 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Swami: "The Kid From Left Field", 1953… Sorry, couldn't find the clip…

10. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Wow – you guys are just awesome with the historical stuff. The depth on this blog site is amazing!Just like the Nats :) Regarding EJax – military kid, moved around a lot, might be ready for a home. He is soft spoken, but seems to have bonded with Gio. I know I am biased, but this does seem to be a good place to land. Winning team, good guys in the clubhouse, legendary manager, nice city, nice ballpark, good fans. I re-watched the 7th and 8th again before I deleted last night's game from the dvr – easier to watch after the fact sometimes. I really like what I saw from Drew – nice velocity and seemed like he was pitching well. Henry was good Henry, too. If he could just stay like that – sigh…. Corey Brown seems to be a really good defensive outfielder. If he hits up here, we are golden, as we can keep Lombo in the line up at 2b to lead off. Shark and Brown for now, Werth later. Just keep those win totals inching up, boys!

11. Gonat - Jul 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

http://burningdowntheyard.com/?p=3271Silly talk out there from mORonIOLES bloggers.

12. JD - Jul 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Scutaro to the Giants. Doesn't look like thye Nats will do much. Maybe a veteran catcher. I also feel that Leon is not ready (1 passed ball a game, bad throws) and I don't know if we are ready to fully commit to Solano as the backup in a pennant race especially since the number 1 guy is also somewhat shaky. I wouldn't mind trying Hill even if he doesn't bring any offense to the table if he is solid on defense and is good with the pitchers.

13. Gonat - Jul 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

JD,hopefully Solano comes back strong. JFlo still the best option with more rest to get him back to what we saw of him early in the season.33 days till rosters expand for Davey.Can I say I am really missing Wilson Ramos and appreciating him even more.

14. JD - Jul 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Gonat, Yes. Ramos is head and shoulders our best catcher. Solano and Leon are both promising but still very raw. Flores is ok if healthy but I don't want to go into the home stretch on a hope and a prayer. A veteran catcher is key.

15. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Tend to agree about the catcher situation. Love Solano and Leon for later, but maybe not for the rest of this year. Flo is pretty beat up and I don't think he has ever had a full season as the number one dude. Rizzo will probably show up with some guy no one ever though of or mentioned right out of the blue. He kind of rolls that way.

16. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

With regard to the pitcher in the outfield, I believe they did exactly the same thing with him last year… (You can look it up, his name is Wesley Wright…)

17. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

JD, he doesn't even have to be that good with the pitchers, since we don't have any rookies on the staff (unless you count Mattheus) and we are well into the season. I think we are looking for a good "catch and throw" guy.

18. peric - Jul 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I have heard Shoppach being mentioned a lot. Veteran guy, good with the pitching staff. I think they are mentioning him as a veteran backup to Flores, not the main guy. I think we need some Pudge-like wisdom back there to help the others learn how to catch base-stealers and pick people off.Its likely not going to happen. Because they already have that in house in Syracuse in the person of Koyie Hill. He's 33 with a 45% caught stealing percentage and he's the starter. And the reason Syracuse popped all the way up from the cellar. He may be a big part of why Lannan has improved from the first half there and Maya's dramatic improvement.You guys don't like to use your thinking caps. Why would they want Shoppach? He's not as good a defensive catcher as Hill. Sheesh. Thinking caps people!If they sign another catcher Hill is a good as gone, just like Ankiel he will ask for his release. He came here because there's a chance he could end up on the big league roster catching some critical games and honestly as time goes by it looks more and more like that is what will happen.

19. baseballswami - Jul 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Lombo batting 8th? Espi leading off, TyMo playing left.

20. NatsLady - Jul 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Lombo batting 8th? Espi leading off, TyMo playing left.LH pitcher. Espi's RH is his stronger side, whereas Lombo is weaker from the right side.

21. natsfan1a - Jul 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Er, new post.

22. zregime - Jul 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Swami, in response to your much earlier post about this thing feeling surreal…it does. And it doesn't. It does because I'll bet pracically every single Natties fan would've been happier than a dog with a meat bone if we'd finished over .500, at the start of the season. It doesn't because now that we're roughly two-thirds thru the schedule, it is quite clear that we have an extraordinary pitching staff, a pretty imposing set of hitters (many of whom having their best seasons ever), a patient and wise manager, and from everything I've read our boys just basically like each other A LOT. A happy clubhouse equals on-field success.Sure, I tear up every now and then when I see the standings, but then I think: We've got the horses, and we come to play. "Playoffs??!!" (Jim Mora flashback.) Heck yeah man, but nowhere near the ultimate potential of this really good ballclub.We're gonna win it all. And then get that bizarro trophy with all the little silver hors d'ouvre meat picks on it. We can use them for Mick and Michele's BBQ!GYFNG. Believe.