Jul 31, 2012, 9:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The suddenly reconfigured Phillies open a series tonight at Nationals Park.
Well, the trade deadline has come and gone and the Nationals — as expected — stuck with what they already had, electing not to give up prospects for a veteran catcher, infielder or starting pitcher and perhaps disrupt the positive chemistry that has developed inside their clubhouse.
The team they play tonight, on the other hand, looks very different than it did when the day began. The Phillies traded Shane Victorino to the Dodgers and Hunter Pence to the Giants, leaving themselves with a decimated outfield for tonight's series opener at Nationals Park.
That lineup will have to take its chances with Stephen Strasburg, coming off one of his best starts of the season (Thursday in New York). The Nats also have pinch-hitter extraordinaire Chad Tracy back from the disabled list. They sent Corey Brown back to Syracuse to clear roster space.
On the other hand, the Nationals won't have a couple of significant lineup regulars: Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche are each dealing with back spasms. Davey Johnson doesn't believe either issue is serious, and he's hopeful both will be back tomorrow, but he's left with a ridiculously short bench tonight: Tracy, Sandy Leon and the two guys with back injuries.
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Isolated storms, 85 degrees, Wind 4 mph RF to LF
2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
SS Danny Espinosa
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence
- Markakis to have neck surgery 2 weeks after signing with Braves
- Stephen Strasburg goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Nats, Harper settle on 2-year deal, avoid hearing