Jul 31, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The suddenly reconfigured Phillies open a series tonight at Nationals Park.
Well, the trade deadline has come and gone and the Nationals — as expected — stuck with what they already had, electing not to give up prospects for a veteran catcher, infielder or starting pitcher and perhaps disrupt the positive chemistry that has developed inside their clubhouse.
The team they play tonight, on the other hand, looks very different than it did when the day began. The Phillies traded Shane Victorino to the Dodgers and Hunter Pence to the Giants, leaving themselves with a decimated outfield for tonight's series opener at Nationals Park.
That lineup will have to take its chances with Stephen Strasburg, coming off one of his best starts of the season (Thursday in New York). The Nats also have pinch-hitter extraordinaire Chad Tracy back from the disabled list. They sent Corey Brown back to Syracuse to clear roster space.
On the other hand, the Nationals won't have a couple of significant lineup regulars: Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche are each dealing with back spasms. Davey Johnson doesn't believe either issue is serious, and he's hopeful both will be back tomorrow, but he's left with a ridiculously short bench tonight: Tracy, Sandy Leon and the two guys with back injuries.
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Isolated storms, 85 degrees, Wind 4 mph RF to LF
2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
SS Danny Espinosa
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)