Jul 31, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Davey Johnson and Mike Rizzo didn’t feel the need to make a trade today.
Updated at 6:00 p.m.
As every other NL contender around them made waves in the hours and minutes leading up to today’s trade deadline, the Nationals made a self-evaluation and determined their best course right now was to stay the course.
Despite potential interest in adding a veteran catcher, infielder or starting pitcher, general manager Mike Rizzo decided to stick with the status quo, counting on young players currently on his roster to come through during Washington’s first pennant race in three generations.
“All along, we said we like who we are and we like where we’re at, the composition of the roster,” Rizzo said. “We didn’t see a whole lot of holes to fill. It’s not about complacency. It’s about making good, sound decisions and not taking the short route with rental players that could affect us long-term. We feel we’re in a position to play meaningful games into September and beyond, and there wasn’t a whole lot of necessity to make a deal.”
Rizzo did work the phones down to the wire and held discussions with fellow GMs about several available players but ultimately felt the price was too high for pieces that would not have filled major roles anyway.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup