Jul 31, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
US Presswire file photo
Mike Rizzo may not be on his phone that much today.
Updated at 3:00 p.m.
There are, depending on which direction the wind is blowing at any given moment, 18 teams with a halfway legitimate shot at reaching baseball's postseason right now. And nearly every one of those 18 teams is looking to make — or already has made — a move to bolster its chances down the stretch before today's 4 p.m. trade deadline passes.
Just look at some of the National League's top contenders. The Braves tried to get Ryan Dempster and Zack Greinke, failed on both counts and then last night scooped up Paul Maholm and Reed Johnson from the Cubs.
The Dodgers pulled off a major trade last week in snagging Hanley Ramirez from the fire-selling Marlins, then late last night added reliever Brandon League from Seattle. Their NL West rivals, the Giants, got Marco Scutaro from the Rockies and now have been linked in talks to acquire either Hunter Pence or Alfonso Soriano.
The red-hot Reds are rumored to be interested in Matt Garza. While the surprising Pirates, who already traded for Wandy Rodriguez last week,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring
- Nats introduce new 'Red Carpet Rewards' program
- Desmond hits 1 of Nationals' 4 homers in win
- Former Nats OF Rick Ankiel is retiring
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Nats position battles
- Gonzalez, Werth make long-awaited spring debuts