Aug 1, 2012, 2:04 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
The Phillies' Kevin Frandsen clubbed his first big-league homer in five years.
Game in a nutshell: Stephen Strasburg on the mound. A depleted and demoralized Phillies club waving the white flag on the season. Might as well just pencil that curly W in the book before this one even gets star… er, maybe not. Strasburg was roughed up by those pesky Phillies, giving up six earned runs to match his career high while lasting only four innings. Cliff Lee, meanwhile, had his way with a Nationals lineup that was missing Ryan Zimmerman and Adam LaRoche (each sidelined with back spasms). The end result wasn't pretty: The Nats slogged their way through one of their ugliest ballgames in quite a while, and in the process saw their lead over Philadelphia dwindle to 15 1/2 games. What? Oh, OK. Maybe this wasn't the worst thing ever.
Hitting lowlight: It's probably unfair to blame the guys who were forced into the lineup to replace the injured Zimmerman and LaRoche,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent