Aug 1, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
Zimmermann has been dealing with inflammation in the shoulder for at least a week, noticing it only when he’s loosening up before starts. At this point, the Nationals aren’t concerned this is anything significant, but manager Davey Johnson doesn’t want to take any chances.
“He’d probably be fine to go Friday, but he’s taking a little medication for the slight inflammation,” Johnson said. “He’s had his full rest, and this just gives Zim an extra day. It’s not a big deal because he’s feeling good, a lot better than he has been. He’s been pitching lights-out, so, that’s good.”
Indeed, Zimmermann is currently enjoying the best extended run of his career, going 5-1 with a 1.42 ERA over his last nine starts. His season-long 2.28 ERA ranks third in the majors entering Wednesday, and he leads all big-league pitchers with 19 quality starts.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing