Aug 1, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Zimmermann has been dealing with inflammation in the shoulder for at least a week, noticing it only when he’s loosening up before starts. At this point, the Nationals aren’t concerned this is anything significant, but manager Davey Johnson doesn’t want to take any chances.
“He’d probably be fine to go Friday, but he’s taking a little medication for the slight inflammation,” Johnson said. “He’s had his full rest, and this just gives Zim an extra day. It’s not a big deal because he’s feeling good, a lot better than he has been. He’s been pitching lights-out, so, that’s good.”
Indeed, Zimmermann is currently enjoying the best extended run of his career, going 5-1 with a 1.42 ERA over his last nine starts. His season-long 2.28 ERA ranks third in the majors entering Wednesday, and he leads all big-league pitchers with 19 quality starts.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Slumping Nats already 7 games back in NL East
- Bats silent in 8-0 Marlins win over Washington
- Thumb swollen, Scherzer can't throw in bullpen
- Nationals try to get back on track in Miami
- Lack of late-inning execution holding back Nats
- Marlins 3, Nats 2: Familiar storyline leads to loss
- Intentional or not, Harper leads MLB in walks
- Nationals open long road trip in Miami
- MLB Power Rankings: Mets, Padres surprising early
- 'Baseball in the District' - Tom Schad of the Washington Times