Aug 1, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Zimmermann has been dealing with inflammation in the shoulder for at least a week, noticing it only when he’s loosening up before starts. At this point, the Nationals aren’t concerned this is anything significant, but manager Davey Johnson doesn’t want to take any chances.
“He’d probably be fine to go Friday, but he’s taking a little medication for the slight inflammation,” Johnson said. “He’s had his full rest, and this just gives Zim an extra day. It’s not a big deal because he’s feeling good, a lot better than he has been. He’s been pitching lights-out, so, that’s good.”
Indeed, Zimmermann is currently enjoying the best extended run of his career, going 5-1 with a 1.42 ERA over his last nine starts. His season-long 2.28 ERA ranks third in the majors entering Wednesday, and he leads all big-league pitchers with 19 quality starts.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Souza, Solis, Goodwin among Nationals' latest cuts
- Zimmerman gets first taste of first base
- Zimmermann gives up first run as Nats split squad loses 2-1
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup