Aug 1, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
Zimmermann has been dealing with inflammation in the shoulder for at least a week, noticing it only when he’s loosening up before starts. At this point, the Nationals aren’t concerned this is anything significant, but manager Davey Johnson doesn’t want to take any chances.
“He’d probably be fine to go Friday, but he’s taking a little medication for the slight inflammation,” Johnson said. “He’s had his full rest, and this just gives Zim an extra day. It’s not a big deal because he’s feeling good, a lot better than he has been. He’s been pitching lights-out, so, that’s good.”
Indeed, Zimmermann is currently enjoying the best extended run of his career, going 5-1 with a 1.42 ERA over his last nine starts. His season-long 2.28 ERA ranks third in the majors entering Wednesday, and he leads all big-league pitchers with 19 quality starts.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day