Aug 2, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jayson Werth is back in the Nationals' lineup for tonight's game.
The last time Jayson Werth played for the Nationals, the Phillies were in town and Cole Hamels was on the mound for a nationally televised series finale between the NL East rivals. So there is plenty of symmetry to Werth's return from a broken wrist tonight, with the Phillies again in town, Hamels on the mound and MLB Network televising the game across the country (though not in the D.C. market, per league restrictions).
Werth, out since May 6, will start in center field and bat sixth, though both positions could change from day to day. Davey Johnson said he plans to swap Werth and Bryce Harper between center and right fields, keeping both players fresh. He also suggested he might hit Werth in the leadoff spot at times.
Ryan Zimmerman also returns to the Nationals lineup for the first time in this series, though he came off the bench with a pinch-hit last night. They're still missing Ian Desmond, but as Johnson described it, "this is the closest we've been in a long time" to fielding their entire regular lineup.
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back often…
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 87 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF
SS Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins