Aug 2, 2012, 2:21 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Edwin Jackson slides hard into Erik Kratz to end the bottom of the second.
Game in a nutshell: Coming off an 8-0 trouncing at the hands of the Phillies, the Nationals hoped to get back on track in the second game of this series. And they appeared to get off to a rousing start, jumping out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first thanks to a pair of botched plays by the Philadelphia infield. But then the bats went silent just as Edwin Jackson started serving up home runs, three of them in total. The Nationals bullpen did its job to keep the deficit at one, and everyone in the ballpark nervously waited for the lineup to break through with the game-tying (and perhaps game-winning) rally. It never came. All of a sudden, the Nationals have lost two in a row and have seen their record fall back to 19 games over the .500 mark.
Hitting lowlight: Stymied for the better part of seven innings by Vance Worley, the Nationals finally got their chance to rally against the Phillies'Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)