Aug 2, 2012, 4:35 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is thrown out trying to steal second base in the crucial eighth inning.
Davey Johnson took his seat in the press conference room underneath Nationals Park and tried to put into words the preceding 3 hours and 16 minutes.
“Well,” the 69-year-old manager said, “that was a weird one.”
Weird, because the Nationals scored two quick runs in the bottom of the first, then were shut out the rest of the night by an assortment of unheralded Phillies pitchers. Weird, because Edwin Jackson served up three homers and put 12 men on base, yet managed to keep his team in the game. And weird because the two most critical moments of the evening involved two Nationals not known for their baserunning skills getting thrown out trying to snag an extra base.
Put that all together and by night’s end you had a 3-2 loss that left a surprisingly small crowd of 23,777 scratching its collective head.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory