Aug 2, 2012, 4:35 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is thrown out trying to steal second base in the crucial eighth inning.
Davey Johnson took his seat in the press conference room underneath Nationals Park and tried to put into words the preceding 3 hours and 16 minutes.
“Well,” the 69-year-old manager said, “that was a weird one.”
Weird, because the Nationals scored two quick runs in the bottom of the first, then were shut out the rest of the night by an assortment of unheralded Phillies pitchers. Weird, because Edwin Jackson served up three homers and put 12 men on base, yet managed to keep his team in the game. And weird because the two most critical moments of the evening involved two Nationals not known for their baserunning skills getting thrown out trying to snag an extra base.
Put that all together and by night’s end you had a 3-2 loss that left a surprisingly small crowd of 23,777 scratching its collective head.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher