Aug 2, 2012, 4:35 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is thrown out trying to steal second base in the crucial eighth inning.
Davey Johnson took his seat in the press conference room underneath Nationals Park and tried to put into words the preceding 3 hours and 16 minutes.
“Well,” the 69-year-old manager said, “that was a weird one.”
Weird, because the Nationals scored two quick runs in the bottom of the first, then were shut out the rest of the night by an assortment of unheralded Phillies pitchers. Weird, because Edwin Jackson served up three homers and put 12 men on base, yet managed to keep his team in the game. And weird because the two most critical moments of the evening involved two Nationals not known for their baserunning skills getting thrown out trying to snag an extra base.
Put that all together and by night’s end you had a 3-2 loss that left a surprisingly small crowd of 23,777 scratching its collective head.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent