Aug 2, 2012, 4:35 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is thrown out trying to steal second base in the crucial eighth inning.
Davey Johnson took his seat in the press conference room underneath Nationals Park and tried to put into words the preceding 3 hours and 16 minutes.
“Well,” the 69-year-old manager said, “that was a weird one.”
Weird, because the Nationals scored two quick runs in the bottom of the first, then were shut out the rest of the night by an assortment of unheralded Phillies pitchers. Weird, because Edwin Jackson served up three homers and put 12 men on base, yet managed to keep his team in the game. And weird because the two most critical moments of the evening involved two Nationals not known for their baserunning skills getting thrown out trying to snag an extra base.
Put that all together and by night’s end you had a 3-2 loss that left a surprisingly small crowd of 23,777 scratching its collective head.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury