Aug 2, 2012, 8:36 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann went 4-0 with an 0.97 ERA in six July starts.
Jordan Zimmermann was named NL Pitcher of the Month for July this afternoon, becoming the third different member of the Nationals rotation to receive that award in four months this season.
Zimmermann went 4-0 with an 0.97 ERA in six starts, the most dominant stretch of a consistently superb season for the 26-year-old. The right-hander leads the majors with 19 quality starts and is the only pitcher in the sport to have thrown at least six innings in all 21 of his outings.
This award is becoming old hat for the Nationals, who already saw Stephen Strasburg win Pitcher of the Month honors in April and Gio Gonzalez win it in May. This after the franchise had only one Pitcher of the Month winner over the previous seven years: Chad Cordero (June 2005).
According to Major League Baseball, the last time an NL team had three different pitchers earn monthly honors in one season was 1979, when Ken Forsch, Joe Niekro, Joaquin Andujar and J.R. Richard of the Astros all won Pitcher of the Month.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'