Aug 2, 2012, 8:36 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann went 4-0 with an 0.97 ERA in six July starts.
Jordan Zimmermann was named NL Pitcher of the Month for July this afternoon, becoming the third different member of the Nationals rotation to receive that award in four months this season.
Zimmermann went 4-0 with an 0.97 ERA in six starts, the most dominant stretch of a consistently superb season for the 26-year-old. The right-hander leads the majors with 19 quality starts and is the only pitcher in the sport to have thrown at least six innings in all 21 of his outings.
This award is becoming old hat for the Nationals, who already saw Stephen Strasburg win Pitcher of the Month honors in April and Gio Gonzalez win it in May. This after the franchise had only one Pitcher of the Month winner over the previous seven years: Chad Cordero (June 2005).
According to Major League Baseball, the last time an NL team had three different pitchers earn monthly honors in one season was 1979, when Ken Forsch, Joe Niekro, Joaquin Andujar and J.R. Richard of the Astros all won Pitcher of the Month.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard