Aug 2, 2012, 8:36 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann went 4-0 with an 0.97 ERA in six July starts.
Jordan Zimmermann was named NL Pitcher of the Month for July this afternoon, becoming the third different member of the Nationals rotation to receive that award in four months this season.
Zimmermann went 4-0 with an 0.97 ERA in six starts, the most dominant stretch of a consistently superb season for the 26-year-old. The right-hander leads the majors with 19 quality starts and is the only pitcher in the sport to have thrown at least six innings in all 21 of his outings.
This award is becoming old hat for the Nationals, who already saw Stephen Strasburg win Pitcher of the Month honors in April and Gio Gonzalez win it in May. This after the franchise had only one Pitcher of the Month winner over the previous seven years: Chad Cordero (June 2005).
According to Major League Baseball, the last time an NL team had three different pitchers earn monthly honors in one season was 1979, when Ken Forsch, Joe Niekro, Joaquin Andujar and J.R. Richard of the Astros all won Pitcher of the Month.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Cardinals coming to town
- The Baseball Show: Things are turning up for the Nats
- Marlins in panic mode after poor start to 2015
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Denard Span's return felt 'like old times' for Nats
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove