Aug 3, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan faces Brad Hand in the opener of tonight's doubleheader.
If there's a doubleheader to be played at Nationals Park, that must mean John Lannan is going to be on the mound. Sure enough, the left-hander has been recalled from Class AAA Syracuse to start the first game of tonight's twi-night twinbill, the extra 26th man on the roster for the day.
Lannan pitched a gem against the Braves two weeks ago to get the teetering Nationals back on track. He went back to Syracuse and made one start earlier this week, getting roughed up for six runs and 13 hits in 3 1/3 innings. Given the manner in which he went from pitching the most significant game of his career to pitching one of the least significant games of his life, nobody with the Nationals sounds the least bit concerned. Provided, of course, he pitches well today.
The Marlins, who have been completely blown up by GM Larry Beinfest in the last couple of weeks, have their own Class AAA call-up lefty starting this game: Brad Hand. They also have a lineup that boasts old pal Austin Kearns in the 5-hole.
A reminder for those of you planning to attend: One ticket gets you into both games. The nightcap will begin at 7:05 p.m., or 25 minutes after the conclusion of Game 1 (whichever is later).
Twice the updates to come, so please check back early and often…
MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS (Game 1)
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 93 degrees, Wind 10 mph RF to LF
SS Danny Espinosa
2B Steve Lombardozzi
3B Ryan Zimmerman
CF Jayson Werth
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return