Game 105: Marlins at Nats

Aug 3, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan faces Brad Hand in the opener of tonight's doubleheader.

If there's a doubleheader to be played at Nationals Park, that must mean John Lannan is going to be on the mound. Sure enough, the left-hander has been recalled from Class AAA Syracuse to start the first game of tonight's twi-night twinbill, the extra 26th man on the roster for the day.

Lannan pitched a gem against the Braves two weeks ago to get the teetering Nationals back on track. He went back to Syracuse and made one start earlier this week, getting roughed up for six runs and 13 hits in 3 1/3 innings. Given the manner in which he went from pitching the most significant game of his career to pitching one of the least significant games of his life, nobody with the Nationals sounds the least bit concerned. Provided, of course, he pitches well today.

The Marlins, who have been completely blown up by GM Larry Beinfest in the last couple of weeks, have their own Class AAA call-up lefty starting this game: Brad Hand. They also have a lineup that boasts old pal Austin Kearns in the 5-hole.

A reminder for those of you planning to attend: One ticket gets you into both games. The nightcap will begin at 7:05 p.m., or 25 minutes after the conclusion of Game 1 (whichever is later).

Twice the updates to come, so please check back early and often…

MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS (Game 1)
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 93 degrees, Wind 10 mph RF to LF

SS Danny Espinosa
2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Jayson Werth

1. Bzl. - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM

The nightcap will begin at 7:05 p.m., or 25 minutes after the conclusion of Game 1 (whichever is later).————Darn, I wish it was "whichever is earlier". Now that could make for some exciting baseball!GYFNG! x 2

2. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Welcome Back John! Do exactly what you did against Atlanta or even better!GYFNG>

3. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM

The entire Marlins lineup except the pitcher will be batting right-handed so Lannan better keep everything low — except maybe to Bonafacio. What I worry about is the Nats dismal track record against these Rookie League teams.

4. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

NL, Red Carpet Rewards has it's problems, but the interface is much improved over previous years. I would get on the phone with my STH rep right away. He or she might be able to leave a tkt at will call for you. Usually they need several days advance notice for RCR (technically they say seven days, but that deadline seems malleable), so you may be out of luck for today.

5. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Lannan is lucky that the two most imposing and Nats-killing RH hitters from early in the season (Hanley and Giancarlo) are not in this lineup. When you have Austin Kearns batting fifth, you know your season is in the toilet. Time for a Friday fish fry.

6. NatsLady - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Been on the phone twice with the regular number and left a message for the rep. Going to the park, and will untangle it later. Worst comes to worst, I guess I'm going to a ball game on October 3. :)

7. sm13 - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Looking forward to good old fashioned doubleheader at the ballpark on a classic summer day ib DC. We really could use a series sweep this weekend to try to put some distance between us and the Braves.Go Nats!

8. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

One of these days, the players that are left in the fish tank are going to get really, really annoyed and want to win a game. Atlanta got them at their most demoralized. I hope it takes them a little while to get things together before they start fighting back. We have never had an easy time with them. My son knows Brad Hand from when Brad was at AA, he has a lot of ability but has been jerked around by the organization a lot. There are a lot of parallels with Lannan – Hand was pretty much guaranteed a rotation spot this year and then they signed Buerhle and that didn't happen. He has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. He pitched here against us last summer. Go Nats!

9. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Section 222 said, "When you have Austin Kearns batting fifth, you know your season is in the toilet."I remember when we batted this slug cleanup. I cannot believe he's still in the bigs.Still, he's the cause of one of Sunshine Bobby's most inane (after "major jammage") phrases: "Good take by Austin!!"What a stiff. Thanks, JimBo.

10. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM

He did always seems to be a good teammate and clubhouse guy, though. I remember going to the Great American Smallpark to a game right after the Kearns/Lopez trade. The fans there were really upset because they thought we robbed them blind. Interesting now.

11. 704ee192-d59b-11e1-b06c-000bcdcb2996 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Nats acquire C Kurt Suzuki for C David Freitas

12. 704ee192-d59b-11e1-b06c-000bcdcb2996 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM

- Wadlez ^^^

13. Coach Steve Roggie - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I trust Davey. Hopefully, this is the day that he proves me wrong about DeRosa.

14. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Well- there is the veteran catcher you all wanted. I am guessing that he is familiar with gio? Will he start in AAA or will Leon go down?

15. 704ee192-d59b-11e1-b06c-000bcdcb2996 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Zuckerman's tweet should answer that… "Davey calls him a #1 catcher"- Wadlez

16. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

And Flores will be demoted to backup catcher after all he has done with our pitchers this year? Talk about messing with team chemistry. This guy has been in the al – he knows nothing about our pitchers or the nl hitters. That just seems odd.

17. 704ee192-d59b-11e1-b06c-000bcdcb2996 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Flores is a backup catcher unfortunately

18. Unknown - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Nationals acquire catcher Kurt Suzuki from Oakland A's.

19. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Once again – does Suzuki know one thing about our pitchers or the nl hitters? Seems like they should at least split or it should happen over time. How will this go over with our young pitching staff – they are all very tight and trust flores? I realize that gio probably knows Suzuki and can be the mediator, but , still – right now that could really make a mess. By the way – Morse caught Bryce's stomach virus.

20. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I just went on wikipedia to see how old suzuki is — his page says – Kurt Suzuki is a catcher for the Washington Nationals – that was fast. And he is 28

21. Cameron - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Suziki's offensive numbers are not too special this year. Throws out 29% of runners stealing for his career and 38% this season though. I like those numbers. Let's see if the Nats pitchers lower that number.

22. 704ee192-d59b-11e1-b06c-000bcdcb2996 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

SwamiYour definately looking way too into it.. Flores play has definately proven that we needed another option for the rest of this year.. I'm sure Kurt will learn quickly. Also, theyu will probably split time or so until one or the other proves they deserve to start. Flores has provided a good solid foundation for our young pitchin, but that does not give him a free pass for his horrible caught stealing %, although that is on the pitchers as well, and the fact that for 2 months he has been a black hole at the plate.- Wadlez

23. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

So – how long ago did Davey express total confidence in Flo? The kiss of death.

24. Coach Steve Roggie - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Jesus a non-tender candidate now? 2013 is his final year of arbitration eligibility. Leon and Solano show potential, Suzuki has 2 more years on his deal at $4M per, and Ramos is working his way back.It seems that Jesus might be expendable.That didn't sound right.

25. Cameron - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Baseballswami, I think the pitchers will adjust and be ok with whoever is behind the plate. It's Rizzo and Davey's job to put the best talent on the field. I think they have done a great job of that, if you can ignore the fact that Derosa is starting again today.

26. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Every time there is a big roster shake up around here the team shows it on the field. Hope not. He won't be here until tomorrow. Flores has been an absolute trooper. I do realize that he hasn't played a full season – it's not that he is the most fantastic catcher in the history of baseball. It's just one of those things where he has given his heart and soul to our staff and closeness of the pitcher/catcher relationship. And this will make six catchers this year. Will he be a one year rental? Ramos due back next season.

27. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Since Freitas was a very well regarded "prospect," I can't wait to hear what peric thinks of this move. Someone please tell me at some point because I still don't read his posts. But apparently Koyie Hill wasn't quite the answer.

28. Marty - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:50 PM

This move for Suzuki and his 49 OPS+ brought to you by Derek Norris.Circle of life indeed…

29. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM

So much for playing for 2013. Ramos will be back next year, so this move was completely about winning the pennant this year. Rizzo quietly goes out and fills what is clearly a weakness in our lineup. No muss, no fuss, prospects for the post season this year immediately improved. I like it!

30. pdowdy83 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM

For those saying Suzuki doesn't know our pitchers missed the fact that Gio worked with him for a couple years. I would imagine that has to play a part in the pick up. Flores has a very week throwing arm. I know the Nats pitchers don't help him out any but they need a guy who can help control the running game a bit better. As much as I love Flo I just think he is a part time catcher. Hopefully the Nats split them equal time and the extra bit of rest helps both guys.

31. ptindc - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Can't believe he's under 30. Seems like he's been around for years.

32. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I thought he would be older, too, that's why I checked. He is hitting .218, though. Ugh. Mark Derosa, but behind the plate.

33. 704ee192-d59b-11e1-b06c-000bcdcb2996 - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM

SwamiLets see what he can do with a change of scenery for a stretch before we make judgement.. He has been a very good player at his position prior to this year. – Wadlez

34. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM

mark just new posted about it

35. sjm308 - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Hard to imagine that a guy that has been in consideration for the Gold Glove will have issues with our staff. He caught Gio for a few years and I bet they asked Gio about him as well. He is not having a good offensive year but the backs of his baseball cards tell me he led the A's in rbi in 09 – he also seems very durable playing in 148, 147 and 131 games from 08 – 10. Have to think he starts when he arrives.We complain for not making moves and then complain more when moves are made. Its a great world in the land of blogs.Go Nats!!

36. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Davey had Suzuki on the US Team 4 years ago. That's good, so he knows Davey and Gio.I think this is a good move. There was much griping about not making a move on 7/31, well a couple of days later we got one of the holes filled.I like our baby nats catchers (so does billy beane) and JFlo, but JFlo has just been beaten to the ground. I hope they split the duties now. I am sure Kurt will catch Gio.Leaving for the park soon, for the end of game 1 and all of game 2

37. JaneB - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Davey says he asked Gio about him, and skippered him four years ago in a series against Cuba. But it doesn't seem right to demote Jesus. He has held the center for us for so long, and I love Leon. I trust Davey. I trust Davey. I trust Davey. I have to remember I trust Davey.Meanwhile, GYFNG!

38. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Uh oh….Kristina just asked Tyler "howz that make you feel?".

39. Tcostant - Aug 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Did Davey pick this lineup out of a hat?

40. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Actually it's a RH line-up (except ALR) to face a LHP in game 1 of a DH…Makes sense to me…

41. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM

And Morse has a stomach virus (Great, Bryce infected the team). Bryce needs a day off too.

42. fresh2death1997 - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Uh oh..

43. Tcostant - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Wow – to get out of that inning with only one run was amazing!

44. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Pitcher's best friends – the double play and Austin Kearns!

45. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Bases loaded and nobody out. A DP and then a K and only one run scores. I'll take that.

46. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Complimentary scouting report on Austin Kearns for Davey. Hi Davey!:First pitch: bust 'em inside (he'll raise his arms, but it'll be called a strike).Second pitch: breaking pitch away (he'll swing and miss).Third pitch: bust 'em inside (he'll raise his arms, but it'll be called a strike).You won't need a fourth pitch.

47. Grandstander - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lance Barksdale does not deserve to umpire major league games.

48. phil dunton - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Why is Morse sitting against a lefty pitcher. Sometimes, DJ's moves make no sense.

49. A DC Wonk - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Whatever we owe Flores, it doesn't have to be the starting lineup for the rest of the year. He batted .167 in July, and slugged .190.

50. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Sometimes, DJ's moves make no sense.That's because he knows things we don't.

51. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Sunshine re: Kearns — POTD.

52. Tcostant - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Tie game with nobody on…

53. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Whatever we owe Flores, it doesn't have to be the starting lineup for the rest of the year. Has Flores said anything, or are we all speculating on empty? Maybe The Bruise That Walks Like A Man wouldn't mind a few days a week off, and an improved chance at the post-season. Maybe he loves this move. He certainly has a good future in the majors, regardless.

54. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

phil- Morse is sick with the same stomach virus that Bryce had.

55. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM

What a coincidence–I'm not feeling so hot, myself.

56. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Plus, it's 90-something degrees, and they're playing two games tonight.

57. Tcostant - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!3-1Flores now show us you can hit!

58. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

DeRosa!!!

59. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM

"What's with this line-up?" "DeRosa stinks"…It's good thing it's impossible to get fired as a NI poster, b/c a bunch of you would be Gone…Thank goodness Rizzo and Davey are in charge and not the Legion of Doom peanut gallery on here! Lol

60. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I don't want to be negative, but where are the folks at the ballpark? I know it's hot, I know it's an odd time, I know people work (well, some people work!), but this "crowd" looks like the gathering that the Nats-Marlins used to draw at Joe Robbie/SunLife/Big Orange Bowl in the Burbs Ballpark.It's called a pennant race, people.I'd go, but I have to work tonight. Honest. I do work. Sometimes. Well, a little bit. OK, it's a part-time gig.

61. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Haha… Great Scout on Kearns Sunshine…I remember a game at RFK where the opponents had to bring an infielder in to pitch b/c it was a blowout….Kearns got jammed and popped up….

62. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Sunshine….wait till the 5th inning before judging the crowd. Even on a 7:05 start, the crowd doesn't settle in till the 4th.And I guess Lannan didn't learn about walks in the first inning. It was the run that scored.

63. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Stuck in Tysons traffic or i would be there now

64. baseballswami - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM

When it's a 2 for 1 double header, people arrive all throughout the first game, whenever they can get there with the traffic. It might be small now, but I can sure hear them!

65. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM

ALR—Supra-Genius (just like the Coyote…)

66. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Actually, the Fish announcers remarked how good the crowd looked for such an early start.

67. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM

NatsJack, et al: You're right. I forgot. We're Chavez Ravine East. Arrive late, leave early, tell everybody in the office the next day you were there.

68. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM

@MicheleS: If you're caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic en route to a game, does that count as "Major Jammage" in Sunshine Bobby's lexicon?

69. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM

It's all relative. The Fish announcers still have vivid memories of home games where the actual attendance barely broke a thousand.

70. Section 222 - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM

The dropped bunt is one of my favorite plays in baseball. Can't wait to see the replay of that.

71. mick - Aug 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I once owned a Suzuki, lol had to say it

72. mick - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Its Friday… Nats are facing Mr Hand, next maybe Mr Garrison… yes I am south park fan

73. mick - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

bada bing LAROCHE!!!

74. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM

LaRoche!!!!

75. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Aloha, MR. Hand….Meet ALR

76. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM

and another thing we've in common, mick.

77. mick - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM

lolololo

78. djinFl. - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Four runs, one hour into Friday happy hour. This is shaping up to my kind of weekend.

79. fresh2death1997 - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Okay, i think Laroche is gonna be at 1st next year.

80. mick - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM

djinFl. said…Four runs, one hour into Friday happy hour. I'll drink to that, lol!

81. mick - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

actually, I'll drink to anything on Friday hee hee

82. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM

John Lannan, master of the curveball that's so crappy, it's un-hittable…Keep it up John

83. hmm... - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM

"mick said…actually, I'll drink to anything on Friday hee hee"so we've noticed.

84. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

85. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Cheeeezus. That was in the top deck, just foul.

86. mick - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Mr Garrison is going to spank you Mr Hand, hee hee

87. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:31 PM

What is that, Section 234, up there? Criminy.

88. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

That section in the top deck is 236–pretty good seats for the money, I think. Anyone hit one up there, yet? It's a small target, but right down the line.

89. djinFl. - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I think this is called an implosion.

90. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Man it really gets quiet around here when the good guys are up 7-1…Guess the Legion of Doom is somewhere complaining about the Olympic TV coverage, or more likely, the Redskins….Is it true they have a new QB? I've heard so little about them via the local media…

91. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

That and Zack Duke/Yunesky Maya crowd can't deal with Lannans success or the fact that Syracuse didn't hold the catching depth solution.

92. waddu eye no - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Man it really gets quiet around here when the good guys are up 7-1…"but it's a nice kind of quiet

93. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Lannan thinks he's pitching in the Show but the second he realizes this is actually a AAA lineup he's facing, he'll probably get shelled.

94. Nats212 - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Natsjack Nothing against u, u look like a pretty cool guy, but it is amazing how much u like To talk trash about peric, even when u dont say his name!And…. I am The only thinking complete game for lannan?

95. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Davey may let John go as long as his pitch count stays under 115 or so. And the score remais the same, of course.

96. hiramhover - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM

the second he realizes this is actually a AAA lineup he's facing, he'll probably get shelledWait a minute – half of it is a AAA line up, isn't it?Go Johnny go.

97. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM

No CG today no matter what now. Now I want to get him through this inning.

98. Nats212 - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Taking lannan out of The game righ now is a big scar from The atlanta game! No lead is big enough

99. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

And still nobody outl with the tying run on deck.

100. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Nice non-play by Mattheus to stay out of that one and let the infielders do their jobs.

101. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Like that Ridiculous Bazooka Arm at short…

102. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Yep. That was well done. Mattheus can go the 8th Gonzalez the 9th.

103. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM

They don't have any more doubleheaders scheduled. This may have been Longball's Last Start, for the Nationals. Good Luck, John.

104. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Is it me, or is Bob having an even worse time than usual this season, judging fly balls?

105. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Hey whats up, all?Suzuki is a good pickup — agreed.What is not so cool is declaring him the #1 catcher from the jump. That's a uncalled for slight on Jflo — and I think classless on the part of Rizzo.Otherwise, we are looking good so far.Last note: What is more likely to happen. RZim;s bat wins the world series or will his arm (or lack of one) cost us a World Series?

106. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM

More on Flo: He had all the chances in the world to hit: he didn't. Too bad. But his handling of this staff was and still is excellent!To obtain a catcher who isn't any offense threat but is lauded for his ability to handle a staff … I say I don't get it. But that isn't the big quandary. The confusing thing is that he was declared the Starting catcher. I very much understand coming in to spell JFlo, or even to split the catching — fair enough. But to relegate JFlo to the bench because Suzuki is better defensively? Nope, not buying it.

107. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Dodgers got Blanton from Phila for a player to be named later…Fox Sports also says the Dodgers claimed Cliff Lee….

108. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Storen needs more work.

109. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM

WTF?? Throw a fastball! We're up 4!

110. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Clippard and Storen BOTH seem afraid of their fastballs.This is not good.

111. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Amen, Swifty

112. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

He's working slow, fidgeting, afraid to throw a fastball strike…What the heck is wrong? Just make a pitch and let the boys roll a pair…

113. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Hey hey a 94 #1 in for a strike,You need the pitching coach to make a trip to tell you that, Storen? Like little league –

114. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Storen's release point is waaay off. Ball in dirt=–I have the quick Hook — enter Gonzalez.

115. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That was hanger…the guy just missed it

116. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Storen and Clip are turning into "junkballers?"Can't be .. but that's what they both are showing us.meanwhile Wild pitch on Storen — caroming back.Wow

117. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Davey has finally seen enough. So have I.

118. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Wow…some of these guys need a shrink or something…that's the worst I've ever seen Storen look…Hope he can get straightened out b/c that was scary…

119. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Gonzalez often gives a hit right off the bat (excuse the pun) and then settles down.

120. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I agree Swift — never seen him worse. You know that going to cause him no sleep tonight.

121. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Koyie hill got released

122. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Gonzalez is a nutcase!…He makes coffee nervous…but he cleaned up the mess..Phew

123. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Looks like most of the forum posters are at the games.

124. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

haha

125. A DC Wonk - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Easy guys, Storen doesn't need a shrink. He needs work. This is still spring training for him, no?

126. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Michelle: aren't you going to the second game?

127. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

DC Wonk: Yeah, I said that. Storen "needs work."Nevertheless, he has indeed never looked worse — regardless of the reason. It is what it is.

128. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Very true Wonk… and I saw him in Spring Training 2011 when he was getting bombed, he came back and had a great year…But I've never seen him look so unsure of himself as today…Usually he's a "here it is, hit it" kind of guy, especially w/a 4 run lead

129. slidell2 - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM

That has got to be demoralizing for the Fish, not to get more. Hope it carries over.

130. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Gorzo for the 9th. er … we better score a couple insurance runs right here; right now.

131. rogieshan - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Re: Werth. So nice to finally have someone with plate discipline in the lineup again.

132. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Koyie Hill got released you say? I'm shocked.

133. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Yeah, I think Werth only swings at one pitch per AB — twice on a good day.

134. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Game Ain't Over

135. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Can Mike Gonzo do it? I don't think so.Crystal ball says he can't finish out.

136. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

NatsJack in Florida said…Koyie Hill got released you say? I'm shocked.August 03, 2012 7:12 PM_____________________________LOL! It appears the Nats brass did NOT think he was "Pudge-Like" on defense as has been suggested a few dozen times on here…

137. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Wow two fine pitches to Dobbs

138. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

0-2 fastball — basehit: LFI hate to give my crystal ball credit, but it nailed it.Clippard? Crystal Ball says he absolutely Implodes here — and blows the save.This ought to be interesting. Prove my crystal ball wrong, Clip.

139. SCNatsFan - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Using up too many arms in this game. I know a W is a curly W but 5 guys?

140. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM

There is a story about former Boston Braves Manager George Stallings included in Ken Burns Baseball miniseries. While on his deathbed, a visitor asked Stallings, “George, what’s killing you?” Stallings answered—“Bases on balls…”

141. SCNatsFan - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Swift Eagle, from your keyboard to the bullpen intercom. Relievers are letting way to many players get the free base.

142. MicheleS - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I am at the games! WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!

143. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Great game by ALR…ANother Curly W in the books…Very nice!

144. SCNatsFan - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

That's one. Step on their throats now.

145. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Derek…. I've got an extra ticket for Friday July 17 against the Mets if you're interested.

146. Swift Eagle - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM