Aug 3, 2012, 1:41 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth congratulates Adam LaRoche after his second-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: Perhaps needing a pick-me-up after two frustrating losses to the Phillies the last two nights, the Nationals got one late in the afternoon when they learned Jayson Werth would be activated off the disabled list and appear in his first game since he broke his left wrist May 6. Werth was solid in his return, roping a base hit in his first at-bat and adding an RBI groundout in his second. But the real pick-me-up came from the left-hander on the mound: Ross Detwiler, who turned in seven scoreless innings to out-duel Cole Hamels and improve to 6-4 with a 3.02 ERA for the season. Adam LaRoche's 20th homer of the season (plus some well-timed defensive gaffes by the Phillies infield) provided all the run support Detwiler needed, and Sean Burnett and Tyler Clippard closed out a much-needed victory to avoid a series sweep and maintain at least a 2 1/2-game lead over the Braves.
Hitting highlight: Remember those fears about a month ago that LaRoche's season was careening off the rails? Well, he's certainly gottenRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas