Aug 3, 2012, 11:33 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
John Lannan pitched another strong game in another one-day call-up from Syracuse.
Game in a nutshell: For the second time in two weeks, the Nationals summoned John Lannan from Syracuse to start one half of a doubleheader. And for the second time in two weeks, the left-hander delivered. He wasn't quite as sharp as his July 23 outing against the Braves, but Lannan tossed six-plus innings to earn the quality start and improve to 2-0 for the season. He was bolstered by an early offensive explosion that featured another home run from Adam LaRoche, a two-run single from Mark DeRosa and a whole lotta production from the heart of the lineup. Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and LaRoche combined to go 6-for-9 with two doubles, a homer and five walks. And though it took some finagling of the bullpen late to seal this one, the Nationals emerged with a relatively easy win over a self-imploding Marlins club in the first game of tonight's twinbill.
Hitting highlight: Everything's coming up LaRoche! After a 3-hit, 2-RBI performance Thursday night, the veteran first baseman broughtRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle