Aug 3, 2012, 6:59 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Kurt Suzuki was hitting .218 with one homer and 13 RBI in 75 games with Oakland.
Updated at 4:55 p.m.
Though he expressed confidence all along in his current catching crew and didn’t feel the need to acquire a veteran, rental backup for Jesus Flores, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo did clarify he would be willing to make a deal if a player signed for multiple years was available.
Rizzo found that player today, acquiring Kurt Suzuki from the Athletics in exchange for minor league David Freitas, a move that brings a veteran, starting catcher to a a first-place club that has been beset with injuries at the position all season.
Suzuki, 28, was hitting only .218 with one homer, 13 RBI and .250 on-base percentage in 75 games with Oakland this season, but he’s thrown out 38 percent of basestealers and according to manager Davey Johnson will provide “more veteran presence” during a pennant race.
Johnson described Suzuki as “a No. 1 catcher,” and Rizzo said he was acquired to be a part of not only this year’s pennant contenders but next year’s as well. The career .254 hitter and strong handler of pitching staffs is still due about $1.8 million for the remainder of this season and will make $6.45 million in 2013, but the A’s are picking up an unspecified amount of his contract.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals
- Rizzo discusses Fister trade and more Nats news
- Hard not to like Fister trade for Nationals
- Nats re-sign Ohlendorf, tender contracts to 8 others
- Nats acquire Fister in 4-player trade with Tigers
- Pirates acquire catcher Chris Stewart from Yankees