Aug 3, 2012, 12:00 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth is back in the Nationals’ lineup for tonight’s game.
Updated at 8:00 p.m.
Davey Johnson said all along the man who would decide when Jayson Werth came off the disabled list would be Jayson Werth.
So when the veteran outfielder sent word late Wednesday night through general manager Mike Rizzo that he was ready to return after nine games on a rehab assignment with Class AAA Syracuse and Class A Potomac, the Nationals manager didn’t need to hear any more information.
“That was what I was waiting for, him to say: ‘I’m ready,’” Johnson said this afternoon.
Thus, for the first time since May 6, Werth is in the Nationals’ lineup, starting in center field and batting sixth against the Phillies. He makes his return slightly less than three months after breaking his left wrist trying to make a sliding catch in right field against the same Philadelphia club, with the same left-hander (Cole Hamels) on the mound.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect