Aug 3, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth is back in the Nationals’ lineup for tonight’s game.
Updated at 8:00 p.m.
Davey Johnson said all along the man who would decide when Jayson Werth came off the disabled list would be Jayson Werth.
So when the veteran outfielder sent word late Wednesday night through general manager Mike Rizzo that he was ready to return after nine games on a rehab assignment with Class AAA Syracuse and Class A Potomac, the Nationals manager didn’t need to hear any more information.
“That was what I was waiting for, him to say: ‘I’m ready,'” Johnson said this afternoon.
Thus, for the first time since May 6, Werth is in the Nationals’ lineup, starting in center field and batting sixth against the Phillies. He makes his return slightly less than three months after breaking his left wrist trying to make a sliding catch in right field against the same Philadelphia club, with the same left-hander (Cole Hamels) on the mound.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard