Aug 3, 2012, 12:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth is back in the Nationals’ lineup for tonight’s game.
Updated at 8:00 p.m.
Davey Johnson said all along the man who would decide when Jayson Werth came off the disabled list would be Jayson Werth.
So when the veteran outfielder sent word late Wednesday night through general manager Mike Rizzo that he was ready to return after nine games on a rehab assignment with Class AAA Syracuse and Class A Potomac, the Nationals manager didn’t need to hear any more information.
“That was what I was waiting for, him to say: ‘I’m ready,'” Johnson said this afternoon.
Thus, for the first time since May 6, Werth is in the Nationals’ lineup, starting in center field and batting sixth against the Phillies. He makes his return slightly less than three months after breaking his left wrist trying to make a sliding catch in right field against the same Philadelphia club, with the same left-hander (Cole Hamels) on the mound.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September