Game 107: Marlins at Nats

Aug 4, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Kurt Suzuki is expected to make his Nationals debut tonight against the Marlins.

It's a rare event when a major-league club starts three different catchers in two days, but such is life for the Nationals this weekend. After Jesus Flores and Sandy Leon caught yesterday's doubleheader, the newly acquired Kurt Suzuki is expected to make his debut behind the plate for tonight's game against the Marlins.

Suzuki will be catching the Nationals' most-consistent pitcher, Jordan Zimmermann, who is shooting for his 20th quality start in 22 tries and his 22nd consecutive start of at least six innings. Zimmermann's outing was pushed back a day because of right shoulder inflammation, but he threw his regular bullpen session on Thursday and said his arm felt great.

Mark Buehrle gets the nod for the Marlins, trying to duplicate his dominant start over the Nationals last month in Miami.

Check back for updates…

MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 89 degrees, Wind 12 mph RF to LF

SS Danny Espinosa
RF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. Secret wasian man - Aug 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM

We really need to win the next 6. Weak teams. I know the cliche says you can't win them all. But apparently nobody told the Reds or more importantly the Braves. Hi dw from 21771

2. SpingfieldNatsFan1 - Aug 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM

We need to start hammering some of these non-contending teams. It would be a good sign to get these last two games against the Marlins. I don't know if I would have started a new catcher on a JZim start…he's been on such a streak I would have gone with Flo.GO NATS!!!!

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

King Felix just KO'd the Yankees 1-0 at Yankee Stadium.

4. NatsLady - Aug 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Seattle has no offense. Luckily, they don't need any with King Felix two-hitting the Yanks… OK, looking forward to our new star tonight. GO NATS!

5. Secret wasian man - Aug 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM

To the guys next to me in 207 row d last night. Thank you. Most fun I've had at a game in a while. Go nats

6. sjm308 - Aug 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Off to my 4th game in 6days. Looking forward to watching Suzuki make his Nats debut.Doubt if Davey will go with an all right handed outfield but he could now. Moore, Werth, Morse would give us 3 big boppers.Go Nats!

7. rogieshan - Aug 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Hope Espinosa can set the tone early and get out of his latest funk. Looking forward to Capt. Kurt's debut.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM

4 guys in tonight's Nats lineup with Z in their last name sets Nats record.

9. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM

NatsLady, I would trade for King Felix for the chance at 3 World Series rings. I would do a Greinke type of deal: Detwiler, Espinosa, Storen, and an outfielder and another top 10 prospect.Seattle wants to get out from under $19.5 million next year.

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Bill Ladson with a scathing tweet about Flores play calling. Backs up what I have said after Flores took over that certain pitchers didnt want him and Davey said he didn't do set battery mates.Still believe Flores is a very capable backup. The mentoring that Ramos got under Pudge is worth its weight in gold.

11. NatsLady - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Ghost, after the Gio deal, nothing would surprise me. This winter will be fun.

12. Cameron - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Some surprising tweets from @washingnats"There were people in the #Nats organization who felt Jesus Flores cared more about his offense than his game calling.""The #Nats were not happy with the way Jesus Flores called a game behind the plate. He often went against the game plan."

13. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

NatsLady, I'm hoping as a Waiver Wire deal.

14. NatsLady - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I saw the tweets. Hello, Flores is still a member of the team, no need to throw him under the bus. (Heard similar just after Ramos' injury, but we are in a pennant race, let's pull together, folks.)

15. NatsLady - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Ghost, but how would you give up Espy until Desi gets back? The others on your list, fine.

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Cameron, I just posted seconds before that. One pitcher in particular laid blame on Flores. Not right to do but there is no shortage of pitchers with egos.

17. DWS - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I hope for the best for Kurt. He may be the tonic to cure all ills. If not, let the firing begin.

18. Section 222 - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Cameron, thanks for the quotes from the tweets. Much appreciated. Have to wonder if the other players would be dishing on Flores if he had handled the news more professionally. Suzuki has the reputation of being not just a good clubhouse guy, but a superb clubhouse guy who makes extraordinary efforts to help his teammates and be accessible to the media and the fans. Hopefully those qualities will allow him to smooth out this rocky introduction.

19. natsfan1a - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Geez, I can't stay away from Nats news even when I'm not able to see/hear games. Nice to be able to do a quick scan of Mark's updates. Go, Jordan! Go, new and old NATS!!

20. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Yep. Jesus spends way too much ttime worried about his hitting. He has to learn his role as a back up.

21. Section 222 - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

For King Felix, I'd put up with Walters or anyone peric wants at SS for another month if that's what it takes. A top 4 rotation of King Felix, Stras, Gio, and JZnn would be historic. He's a quantam leap better than Greinke.

22. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Felix Fernandez is the best pitcher in baseballPeriod….better than Verlander, better than Stras or JZimm.

23. DWS - Aug 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I think Mr Flores has had a whole lot of bad luck. Rule 5 draft pick which was (stolen) from the Mets.Next #1 catcher. Nats trade for Ramos new #1. Now Suzuki. New #1. Give the man some slack. $875000 is great, but it's got to hurt. Ask John.

24. peric - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Sounding like the A's fans who think they might get David Wright on a waiver deal … I think the Nats do well with a young guns ensemble approach versus having a hugely paid star pitcher … or star pitchers. Let's see how these pitchers do with an excellent defensive catcher … perhaps it will give them a late season boost. And it looks like that is how the Nats are going to try to do it. They are going to go after young, controllable pitching with as much ceiling and potential as they can get.

25. peric - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Flores looks like he's been beaten down by this season. Not sure if that wouldn't affect his pitch calling but it may. He definitely needs a break without all the pot stirring by the Rocket and his source[s].

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

NatsLady, Espi would be the PTBNL

27. Swift Eagle - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Several times I remember Stras being annoyed with Flores, but I think that's common. Good idea to have a vet behind the plate at this Point

28. baseballswami - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Let's hope Suzuki has one of those "I'm happy to be here" games tonight. Jordan can handle another new catcher but I am afraid that he might be too strong from the rest and his sinker won't sink. Not sure how I feel about the sudden spate of Flores bashing.It's certainly not necessary to justify the trade.Hope it stops, because it doesn't sounds like our organization.

29. peric - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM

NatsLady, Espi would be the PTBNLFor Felix? You're dreaming Ghost, it would have to be a very young player with the initials BH. That I believe would get that trade to actually happen. Are you willing to give up a future potential McCutchen like bat? I wouldn't.

30. pRAA - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Have to wonder if the other players would be dishing on Flores if he had handled the news more professionally.Please to explain how he could have handled the news any more professionally than he did. After being blindsided by the press for his reaction, he basically said "I didn't know. I'm surprised. No comment beyond that." How is that not professional? He said nothing bad about anyone, be it his fellow players or the front office. Also, it appears as if Spanish-speaker James Wagner of the Post is the one who confronted him, so the conversation may well have been in Spanish and the tone of it came out different in the translation.

31. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Agree 100% with peric @ 5:02 p.m.Re today's game: Am I missing something, or do the line-ups look like the Nats A-team vs. a Marlins split-squad during Spring Training? Where's the rest of their team? Oh, that's right…

32. peric - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Not sure how I feel about the sudden spate of Flores bashing.It's certainly not necessary to justify the trade.Hope it stops, because it doesn't sounds like our organization.No one but Ladson is doing it. And he is passing it on from his source[s]. I believe him and I believe the source[s] might feel that way. But they are not the entire Nats organization. Before I would even go near that, Bill, I would have first asked Randy Knorr what his opinion is. He is the top defacto catching expert in the organization as far as I can tell.I should think Bill should have kept silent … and it could be a precursor to a followup trade of Flores to an interested party. I have observed these sort of scathing criticism from Bill's sources just before trades or releases.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM

NatsJack, yes, on the King. Verlander is real close. I'd take Felix since I think he would excel with this team. Nobody thought they would trade Pineda and I know there were conversations with 2 teams and believe one of them was Nats.

34. Section 222 - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

35. peric - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Let's hope Solano gets well and improves his catching skills … and Leon shows some marked improvement from his major league exposure. Suzuki was of immense help to Derrick Norris. I expect he will be there for those two and Flores.

36. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Peric, well said. He should know better to keep it in-house but I heard it several times. What does Davey do when a pitcher constantly demands another catcher.The loss of Ramoose is huge. Suzuki hopefully will be a good bridge to next year.Again, Flores is a good option as #2 catcher.

37. NatsLady - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Zimm will be fine with a new catcher, he knows his own stuff and he knows the Marlins (except the call-ups). As was mentioned above,I would worry more about (a) his shoulder; (b) whether the extra rest will affect his sinker. This is when RZ or Werth or ALR or some other team leader should step in and tell the pitchers to shut up.

38. Depot Master - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM

It's Kurt, not Kurk, Mart.

39. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Well said Peric at 5:11

40. baseballswami - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Oh – Eugene! Shhhhh! You will bring the reverse lock jinx for sure! Hope everyone in the nats clubhouse has quit throwing up.

41. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

And I agree, Ghost….well said

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Peric at 5:06, he will be traded. He has 2 years left and goes from 12.5 million to $19.5 next year. They won't get BH nor would they get Trout. They could get Rendon. Probably won't happen now but will happen this Winter.

43. baseballswami - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

MLB guys did another one of their IF Stephen Strasburg is shut down WHATEVER will the Nats do? stories. So tired of it. Then they proceeded to show a graphic that the other four rank 1st in mlb in most areas. Never mentioned Lannan, who pitched yesterday and is 2-0 in his calls ups. They are usually a little better than the four letter network, but this is getting old.

44. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

With these two pitchers, this game has 2-1 or 3-2 written all over it.

45. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Hey, No Bonifacio!Out for the year.Gee. That's a shame.

46. baseballswami - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Donnie Murphy and Justin Ruggiano also not available – hammy and back spasms.

47. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM

swami @ 5:24,Fair enough. Although anything I say tends to end up in a double-cross (including my golf swing), so perhaps that means the jinx is somehow reversed. Or something like that.Speaking of golf, am I the only one (probably) who sees a bit of Fred Couple's easy, free-flowing swing and languid approach to the game in Adam LaRoche? Yes, they play different sports and there's the righty-lefty difference, but both step up to the ball/plate so nonchalantly, hit the ball almost peacefully, then proceed to watch it fly so well and so far.

48. pRAA - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Section 222 said… Please to explain how he could have handled the news any more professionally than he did. Nah, I've wasted enough of my day explaining things to you pRAA. If you disagree, fine. I don't have a problem with that. Besides, I'm headed to the game.I'm not disagreeing. I'm asking. Why is everything an argument with you?

49. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM

NatsJack, how many times have I written since Flores had taken over about his play calling and setup?Gio never complained but have to wonder if Gio suggested Suzuki or was it Davey.Getting a veteran plateminder was a top priority.Unfortunately JFlo has been hurt in the process and Ladson was unclassy as ever.

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Davey needs to play small ball tonight. When Morse led off the 4th with the double last night he had Espinosa swing away and not bunting and Espi K'd.Have to play for add-on runs tonight.

51. Section 222 - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Why is everything an argument with you?It's not, except with you. Hmm, wonder why that is. I just express my opinions. You like to pick fights. To each his own.

52. baseballswami - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I seem to remember a time when everyone was calling for Ramos to be the back up and Flo to take over. hmmmm. Short memories. I am sensing a new hard ball, hard a#$ attitude in the organization. We are hearing "performance determines playing time",( except for Danny), and "they are big boys". Public statements being made. Are these messages all for Flores or is there a general message being sent right now? Was Flores exhibit A? Produce and do it our way or you can be replaced? I don't think the Nats have played well on this home stand. 2-3 vs. terrible teams. Is this a wake up call? Step it up?

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I should say play small ball if needed. Espi in leadoff and Harp in another LH matchup.

54. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Again, agree whole heartedly, Ghost.

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

baseballswami at 5:46, those people, and there were many, slithered away. Flores was perfect behind Ramoose as a #1B or #2

56. DWS - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I remember quite well also swami. Expect the same if Kurt disappoints. Let's see how a veteran catcher helps the team.

57. hiramhover - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM

EugeneInteresting comparison – I think it's true about ALR at the plate, and also in the field (tho I don't suppose that has a comparison to golf). On plays where he's fielded a ball or is getting back to 1B to receive a throw from the pitcher, he never seems rushed or anxious. Sometimes he seems to be taking it so easy I wonder if he'll beat the runner – and he always does.

58. baseballswami - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

If you don't consider anything else at all – Flores has been beaten up a lot. Catching an entire staff that throws power stuff and ungodly breaking stuff – plus ( gulp) HRod? Add to that the number of times he has been hit. He probably has bruises that won't fade until the off season. If Suzuki is the high-character guy everyone says he is, he will make it his business to make Flores his ally as soon as possible. Flo knows lots of stuff Kurt needs to know. He will probably understand the dynamics and tread tactfully. You know, if Suzuki can straighten out Gio, he will be worth having. Gio has been struggling for a while now. Not the whole game, but he gets ADD innings.

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM

baseballswami, sports is very reactionary which is why the game thread is painful at times.I remember a frequent poster in April that said EJax should be tied up longterm instead if JZim. The rationale was EJax was a better pitcher. It was written after a good EJax start which was a game after a JZim so-so start.People were talking trash about Ramoose after the HenRod wild pitch in the Dodgers series. It was ridiculous then and again some don't understand the game. They watch but don't see it which is fine but the knee-jerk reactions sometimes just make for mostly bad posts.

60. fresh2death1997 - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I'm interested to see how the pitchers adapt to Kurt. See if he'll make good pitches in situations.

61. baseballswami - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I have a feeling Jordan will be calling his own game.

62. pRAA - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Section 222 said… Why is everything an argument with you? It's not, except with you. Hmm, wonder why that is. I just express my opinions. You like to pick fights. To each his own.Again, how is asking you a simple question "picking a fight"? I really am curious how Flores could possibly have been any more professional in that situation than he was. Seems to me he did everything right. But, as you often say, I could be wrong. Enlighten me.

63. baseballswami - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Nice to see Bryce get the Heart and Hustle award.

64. djinFl. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Saw the Giants had 70th birthday celebration for Jerry Garcia on the 1st, while playing the Mets. They gave out Jerry Garcia bobbleheads.We get Healthcare Night there on the 14th. Do they give out syringes.Nice start Zimm.

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Danny out on 3 pitches. As anxious as a school kid. Shaking my head. Very disappointing. Unfortunately has to bat 8th.

66. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Maybe 'Healthcare Night' will feature the dancing hospital beds from the Olympic opening ceremonies?

67. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Nats need to see more pitches. JZim didn't get his outside pitches that were clearly strikes. Lombo with a Web Gem on Reyes.

68. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Now, it's affecting his fielding…

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Extra pitches now. Tailor made doubleplay. Worse than that, it scored a run and kept the inning going.

70. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM

One word. Pathetic.

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Two runs and both are probably earned. 11 extra pitches thrown.

72. sm13 - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Solano slid as late as possible, forcing the errant throw from Danny. That's quite a risk on Solano's part — he could have ended with an Espi fastball from 10 feet away in his face. I bet Ozzie loves that kind of stuff.

73. Section 135 - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Id start Lombo over Danny when Iam returns.

74. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM

LaRoche!

75. mick - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM

76. SCNatsFan - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM

No one peforms better then ALR and gets less love on this board

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Section 135, Davey as he showed with Storen and Flores is playing to win without regards to "feelings". Even the Henry coddling us finally over. Nothing surprises me going forward.

78. mick - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM

would like to see espi make up for error but more importantly his non aggressive at bat

79. mick - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM

sec135… I agree, if danny can't work out whatever his deal is in his head, i agree

80. mick - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM

agreed Ghost

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM

SCNatsFan, read some more.

82. mick - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM

watching Burhle and Johnson, i cant believe the Marlins are 10 under

83. mick - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I think Espi has a chance to be an All star every year if he can work out some consistency at bat

84. mick - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM

come on guys!!!!!

85. mick - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

if Braves can beat Marlins 2of 3, I mean come on Nats!!!

86. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

SteveM said "two runs and both are probably earned…"==========================I think it's just one earned, but I don't think Bob Carpenter's explanation was correct. Because you can't assume a double play, Carlos Lee would have been on third after the fielder's choice, while Gorkys Hernandez would have been on first. John Buck's double would have scored Mr. Lee as an earned run; the official scorer probably couldn't assume that Mr. Hernandez would score from first on a double. At least, that's my take.

87. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM

And I'll say it again ….Pathetic.

88. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I'm with you, Ghost. It's 2012 or bust with Davey. And I don't blame him a bit. He's in first place, he's got the horses, and he's 69. When you're 69, there is no five-year plan. For anything.Just win, baby.

89. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Watching the Fish feed. The first 2 runs were earned. And Jordan is ovet 50 pitches already.

90. SCNatsFan - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

mick, outside of the first half of last year and a couple of spurts Danny hasn't shown he can hit. He doesn't need consistency; he needs a new approach at the plate. I know chicks dig the long ball but Nats fans would love to see more singles and less swing for the fences K's. His rate of striking out has risen all 3 years instead of getting better; clearly the rest of the league also sees the gigantic holes in his swing and the lack of adjustment by Danny. Lets hope he gets it – soon – and then we can think about him being an all star.

91. Secret wasian man - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

ladies and gentlemen; YOUR 2009 Washington Nationals.

92. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I'm going to stop complainimg until the Nats get the lead.

93. Secret wasian man - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Well then nats jack we will talk to you tommorow.

94. SCNatsFan - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM

NatsJack, we are playing our kryptonite. A split would be progress for us.

95. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Eugene, correct. They didn't consider the runner on 1st would have scored on the double. The official scorer had them both earned and changed it shortly afterwards.Fact is, spotty defense and a 3-1 deficit.

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

JZim takes a walk. Espinosa better pick him up. Would have been a great night to have put Werth in leadoff.

97. Secret wasian man - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ray charles base hit

98. Exposremains - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM

99. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Espi, contact does wonders. Nice

100. Secret wasian man - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

the kid just cant hit. Hes hurting us with his bat

101. Secret wasian man - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

the reason the mrlins are smiling is because they are trashing our chances.

102. Secret wasian man - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM

nice!!!!! come on guys

103. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

So far tonight, in addition to his usual banalities, Bob has given us the wrong score (3-0 when it was actually 3-1) and other major verbal jammage.It's only a matter of time before he calls the Marlins the Mets – again.

104. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

JZim just did a Desi-RBI with two outs and man on 3rd.

105. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM

So much for my theory of a low-scoring game…

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM

RZim

107. SCNatsFan - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Now THATS what your 3 and 4 hitters are supposed to do. Wonder if NatsJack can complain if its tied lol

108. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Exposremains said… I wonder how annoying of an opponent Reyes is. The smiling, the gestures, all the little things. Personally it really bothers me.No worse than Bonifacio (jerk). At least Reyes has talent.

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Morse with the equalizer. Thought it was a rapper.

110. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Did you all notice the MASN rally killer text right after Morse's single.

111. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Ghost……I don't even acknowledge the MASM texts anymore. I'm actually thinking of deleting it.

112. mick - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM

3-3

113. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Lombo has no chance.

114. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM

See.

115. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM

NatsJack, smart man. I am going to do the same.

116. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

In four innings, Suzuki already has won me over. He's even clapping for our heroes coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan. Way to go!!

117. Exposremains - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM

SunshineYoure right about bonifacio.

118. Exposremains - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I guess my question is: is it more annoying to the fans or players when players conduct themselves like reyes and bonifacio?

119. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Meet the new boss. Lot like the old boss.

120. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Espi, is just off his game. Reyes shouldnt be on the bases.

121. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I'm not sure what pisses me off more…..the frustration that WAS Desmond or the frustration that IS Espinosa.

122. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM

@Expos: I'm just guessing it affects us more. Players respect talent…so Reyes can pretty much do whatever he wants and they won't bad-mouth him. They're all in the same millionaires' row.

123. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM

So many extra pitches. Espi has ruined JZim's entire start.

124. Section 135 - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Espi working on his spot on the bench come September.

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Jordan is a rhythm guy. Tough to watch. Can't sit Espinosa. Just have to hope he improves.

126. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

@NatsJack: If Espi's fielding suffers, then we're in deep. He's leading the league in strikeouts. Judging from tonight's performance, he's trying to do the same in errors. Don't know if you're listening to FP where you are, but FP actually broke down Espi's latest throwing error very well. Said it was because he dropped down sidearm. You can get away with that at 2B, because it's a short throw. But at SS, that kind of motion leads to erratic throws because of the greater distance. Makes sense. I can kinda give the guy a pass because he's played 2B his entire big league career. But as I said, if his fielding goes south, then his contribution becomes nil. Because he's not doing much of anything at the plate…except swinging at All Those Sliders in the Dirt.

127. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I can't believe the official scorer gave Reyes a single on that grounder.

128. Secret wasian man - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Bryce needs to play only when a righty is pitching. Enough the Damn bobblehead already.

129. Drew - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Martinson just homered again. He now has 21 homers, 99 RBIs, 94 runs scored and 27 bases.In 110 games.

130. Drew - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

That's 27 stolen bases for Martinson.

131. rmoore446 - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

As I posted yesterday, Espinosa is hard to watch at the plate in his slump. Now he is also hard to watch as he loses concentration in the field. Having him as the lead-off hitter is madness.Davey needs to sit him until he gets his head straight. The "play him regardless" strategy worked the first time around but we are in a pennant race now and you cant invest August into the unqualified support strategy.Richard Moore

132. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Richard, who plays short and 2nd

133. Secret wasian man - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

The whole bunch of Marlins are arrogant idiots. The manager is total garbage. But when you are tops in the division and you let a team own you its your own fault.

134. Secret wasian man - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM

they extra day of rest really helped JZ.

135. mick - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Go Astros… should not have to do this, lol.

136. mick - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Reyes is a BALL PLAYER!

137. RickH - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM

ALR!!! What can you say?

138. djinFl. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I think what you say Rick, is we are picking up your option year Adam

139. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Suzuki could get some fans quickly. LaRoche in his zone.

140. RickH - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Nice bunt by Suzuki.

141. RickH - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM

dj … ya think??? :)

142. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Uh OhNats have all the sign of a team that is flat and ready to give back some games in the standings i.e. to slump

143. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Trouble.No one noticing Harper who rarely gets it out of the infield anymore — and heading for .240. hasnt hit a homer in over a month — and, quite frankly, looks tires and weak.Espi? what can you say: Hot for two weeks and back to his old ways. 1 for his last 34. and five errors now at SS. Not good. Team is poised for a major slump.

144. SCNatsFan - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM

DeRosa just continues to be a non factor on this team. I guess like Stairs this is the place some players come to die. I really thought he'd be decent this year.

145. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Anyway you put — as positive as you want to be:Suzuki ain't all that much. A catcher who is barely hitting his weight — can't possibly handle this staff better than Flo — I will bet many of the players have a slight attitude as to how the trade was handled. and not to tell Flo, and to let the media tell him, well, thats shameful. You are a decent GM, Rizzo, but surely you are a Class A A-Hole.

146. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM

There are people that still think Tyler Moore should be at first?

147. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:09 AM

De Rosa is washed up — that's how we got him.Let's hope the same doesnt apply to Suzuki

148. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Ump and Espi not helping tonight

149. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Give me an A….hole as a boss EVERY time. Do what's best for everyone….. not the individual.

150. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM

5 will get you 10 Gonzalez is scored upon — Gonzo and Gorzellany are very weak links on this team.

151. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM

NatsJack, sure TyMo on 1st when ALR needs a break.

152. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:14 AM

When A Holes makes mistakes, they're often very big ones. Players dont play hard for long for A holes.

153. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM

They play for Davey who is not an A—hole.

154. Exposremains - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Marlins have a terrible lineup and yet theyre always up to something. And another error. Disgusting. This franchise really has a marlins complex

155. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I'm with you on that, Ghost. It's those that wanted LaRoche gone after this year I'm refering to.

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Errors just piling on the runs and pitches

157. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM

So Lombo continues to show why he will be a great utility guy.

158. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Can't blame MGonzo for that wall. He struck out Reyes on a great pitch. Lousy umpiring.

159. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Walk

160. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Alumni news: J-Max has homered twice. Houston leading Atlanta 3-2 in the eighth. Maybe this loss won't hurt.

161. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Espinosa …..pathetic….not even close as a proffessional at the plate

162. djinFl. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Go J=MaxWay to help out your hometown team.

163. Secret wasian man - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:27 AM

lets talk about weak links. Danny and bryce. Just a tradegy hitting 1 2. gotta get somebody else like werth leading off.

164. SCNatsFan - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Danny just appears so lost. Davey will blame it in him playing SS but he is so overmatched right now. Please hurry back Ian.

165. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Bobby….yep…..watching that one, too

166. Secret wasian man - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM

everyone seems to give Bryce a pass. The fact is he cant hit his way out of a bag.

167. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Harper can't get the ball out of the infield. There is real trouble there.Espinoza takes yet another ball down the middle. He is now 1 for his last 34. There is real trouble there.Karma is a Bitch, Rizzo. Nats officially in Slump.

168. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Lets be honestHarper or Trout. Who would you rather have?

169. rogieshan - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I sense a behind-closed-door team meeting coming on. The first of the year?

170. Secret wasian man - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Just an awful performance from MOST of the team. A homestand to forget. Very frustrating. This team is not ready.

171. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM

NatsJack: yep, Davey is a nice guy — Until he needs to tell a player bad news. Then Davey is just as big an A-Hole as Rizzo is — maybe worse — because Davey wants to be the nice guy, and Rizzo doesnt give a hoot.Rememeber when Davey waited until the middle of game to tell Lannan — while sitting on the bench!!) that he was going down to Syracuse? Now, Davey fails to inform Flo — the loyal trooper flo — that he had just lost his job. Yeah, Real nice guy.

172. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Find another home, Flo. You are disrespected in D.C.

173. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM

easy answer. at 19 I'll take Harper ebery time. Check out Trouts stats at 19.

174. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Nats are out of miracles for a while, I'm afraid.

175. Exposremains - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Been said before but rizzo would make everybody a favor by getting a stabilizing force for the middle infield. It will not affect the chemistry. I think gio showed yesterday that there is frustration on the team with espinosa.

176. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM

NatsFan: Ha ha ridiculous.

177. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Werth will deliver

178. djinFl. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Astros win

179. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Werth doesnt chase pitches the others might. Walks

180. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

All I can say NatsFanSinceStart …..this isn't Little League….Getting told you're getting sent down is nothing like getting told your out of a job and going on unemployment.And the Braves have lost to the Astros.

181. Secret wasian man - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:45 AM

braves lose

182. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Great news on Braves loss.

183. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Suzuki looks like the type of player he is on two hopelessly behind swings.

184. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Ha Ha HaBilly Beane makes Nats Chumps.Suzuki is horrible.

185. SCNatsFan - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM

For all those who feel Flores should sulk because he wasn't told wake up. What is better, to wait until after the games or do it before. Would telling him earlier make it OK for him to return to the bench? Its too bad a reporter told him but he's a big boy.Bottom line if he was producing then Kurt will still be in Oakland. Not telling him sooner doesn't change that at all.

186. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Can Harper get it out of the infield?

187. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I hate to day it, Suzuki looking like Ankiel in that at-bat.

188. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM

My mistake — still think Lombo is leading off

189. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Moore will deliver.

190. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Ghost…more like Espinosa……and I just sent STOP to MASN.

191. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Lombo with a nice contact hit through the middle.

192. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM

193. djinFl. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM

194. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Nice piece of hitting by TyMo. Professional hitter.

195. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Espi — OOOHHHH NOOOOHe will K

196. djinFl. - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM

197. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I guess Dunn doesnt know how to pitch to Espi

198. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:53 AM

STRIKE TWO ON DANNY BOY

199. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM

That cures everything!