Aug 4, 2012, 2:42 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Gio Gonzalez dominated for five innings but gave up three runs in the sixth.
Game in a nutshell: Retaking the field only 25 minutes after earning a 7-4 victory in the first half of this doubleheader, the Nationals had an opportunity to improve to 22 games over .500 for the first time since the franchise arrived in town and gain some ground on the Braves in the NL East. Instead, they were shut down by a dominant Josh Johnson, who went 8 2/3 innings and nearly went the distance, ultimately handing it off to Steve Cishek to record the final out. The Nationals' only runs came in the first and then the ninth. In between, they barely threatened against Johnson. Gio Gonzalez was equally as effective most of the night, but the left-hander was done in by a three-run sixth inning, which proved all the offense the Marlins needed to salvage a doubleheader split. The Nats' lead in the NL East is now down to two games.
Hitting lowlight: Remember when Danny Espinosa was on fire at the plate and appeared to have turned his entire season around? Well, he'sRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Fister, Nats aim for series win against Mets in New York
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab