Aug 5, 2012, 5:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa rounds the bases following his go-ahead homer in the eighth.
This was a moment everyone in the crowd of 33,449 had been waiting to experience, some of them since hopping on the Nationals bandwagon this summer, some of them since first adopting this club when it arrived in Washington eight years ago, perhaps some since first attending a ballgame played by one of the District’s two previous franchises decades ago.
This was a moment young players like Bryce Harper and Tyler Moore have wanted to be a part of but hadn’t been around long enough to witness first-hand.
This was a moment veterans on the roster, guys like Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche, have been a part of before, in other towns.
And this was a moment Danny Espinosa could only hope he’d get to enjoy at the end of what had been shaping up to be one of the worst nights of his baseball career.
When Espinosa clubbed Mike Dunn’s 2-2 slider over the left-field bullpen in the bottom of the eighth inning Saturday night — the defining blow of what became a six-run rally that propelled his team to a stirring, 10-7 victory over the Marlins — Nationals Park experienced a scene like never
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg faces Hamels in pitching showdown
- Nats have zero All-Stars after Zimmermann replaced
- Harper homers but still battling out of slump
- Nats lose Zimmermann, fall to Phillies 6-2
- Zimmermann hopeful biceps cramp isn't serious
- Ian Desmond out but expects to return Saturday
- The Baseball Show: Analyzing the Nationals' first half
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - CSNbaltimore's Rich Dubroff
- X-rays negative on Desmond's hand after shortstop left game
- Nats, Orioles see promise in Beltway Series ahead of Aug. 4 rematch