Aug 5, 2012, 5:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa rounds the bases following his go-ahead homer in the eighth.
This was a moment everyone in the crowd of 33,449 had been waiting to experience, some of them since hopping on the Nationals bandwagon this summer, some of them since first adopting this club when it arrived in Washington eight years ago, perhaps some since first attending a ballgame played by one of the District’s two previous franchises decades ago.
This was a moment young players like Bryce Harper and Tyler Moore have wanted to be a part of but hadn’t been around long enough to witness first-hand.
This was a moment veterans on the roster, guys like Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche, have been a part of before, in other towns.
And this was a moment Danny Espinosa could only hope he’d get to enjoy at the end of what had been shaping up to be one of the worst nights of his baseball career.
When Espinosa clubbed Mike Dunn’s 2-2 slider over the left-field bullpen in the bottom of the eighth inning Saturday night — the defining blow of what became a six-run rally that propelled his team to a stirring, 10-7 victory over the Marlins — Nationals Park experienced a scene like never
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets