Game 108: Marlins at Nats

Aug 5, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg starts today's series finale at Nationals Park.

After last night's emotional and rousing comeback victory, the Nationals look to keep the good vibes going today in their series finale against the Marlins.

They'll have Stephen Strasburg on the mound, but the question is which Stephen Strasburg they'll get today. Is it the fastball-pumping ace who dissected the Mets lineup 11 days ago, or the tentative and inconsistent pitcher who got torched for a career-high six runs by the Phillies five nights ago?

Strasburg will have a familiar face behind the plate in Jesus Flores. Davey Johnson didn't want to burn out Kurt Suzuki already by asking him to catch a day after a night game, but I suspect we'll start seeing the veteran make back-to-back (or even three consecutive) starts during this week's road trip.

Updates to come…

MIAMI MARLINS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 91 degrees, Wind 14 mph out to CF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. JaneB - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM

GYFNG!

2. NCNatsie - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Everyone at the game last night seemed to have a really good time, and I wish I'd been there, but I used to really enjoy the post game song they still do when the Cubs win (seldom) at Wrigley.So, here goes. My try at a Nats song. Just the words for now, because I can't figure out how to get the tune in my head in the blog. But FWIW, how's this work?Let’s All Cheer for the Washington Nats(con brio)Break out the gloves and balls and batsLet’s all cheer for the Washington NatsThey’re sure to win, so tip your hatsTo the mighty men of the Washington Nats.(andante – 3/4th time)And when … the in-…Nings all … are played,We’ll lead … the Vic … -tor-y … Parade…(con brio)When the hard-fought game is finally wonBy the Nationals of Washington!(andante)And thi …r-ty years …Seem now … as naught.And all … the long- … ing long … forgot.(con brio)We’ll beat the Mets and Braves and FishAnd make the Phillies swish, swish, swishAnd when the pennant race is doneThe winner will be Washington.(andante)We’re first … in war … And first … in peaceAnd first … at last … in the Nati … nl* East(con brio)All cheer our boys for all they’ve wonThe mighty Nats of Washington.*elide to two syllables: “Nash-nul”

3. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM

@NCNatsie: Love the song. But I thought Andante was pasta just barely cooked for a couple of minutes?

4. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Great move by Davey putting Kid Flores back in there. Don't want to completely trash the Kid's confidence. After all, he's carried these pitchers for, lo, these three months now. We're going to need him down the stretch.

5. Doc - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

KSuz didn't look any better than JFlo on the 2 SB's last night. Maybe instead of trying out all the C's in MLB, Rizzo & Co. should look at the Nat's pitchers.Great staff, but holding the runners on is not in their bag of tricks.Both Suzuki and Flores have had a history for some good hitting, but not a lot recently. JFlo may be having some physical limitations with his back; he certainly is taking some awakward swings.I thought that the really good season that JFlo had last winter in the VWL would get him prepared for 2012.

6. NCNatsie - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

You're right, Sunshine. And con brio means "with beer". Which is actually appropriate for the pasta or the singing.

7. Doc - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Thanks for the ditty NCNatsie!Maybe get someone to help you arrange it so we can hear it played at Nats' games.

8. pRAA - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

There already Is a corny Nats song. Nuts About the Nats. They just played it here at the park a few minutes ago.

9. sjm308 - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM

This is just what should be done with Flores. No sense getting either catcher hurt or exhausted. I feel certain that playing two or three times a week will help Flores.pRAA, or any other poster with more knowledge then I – not sure you will go back to the previous post but if you do I am still looking for what is going to happen with SS after they shut him down. It will be after 8/31 so how does his spot get replaced? Thanks as alwaysGo Nats!!

10. NCNatsie - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Doc, I'd be willing to do that if folks want me to and there's some chance it will acatually get considered for use. I'd give it away, but unfortunately, the guy I used to collaborate with has died, and it will involve some effort to get an arrangement. If, as pRAA says, they've already got a song (even if it is corny), there may not be a market, although I don't think folks have taken to singing Nuts About the Nats in the stands, so I'm not sure how good it is.

11. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM

NCNatsie, you need a hook.

12. fast eddie - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I love watching Harper hit and I cringe with every out he makes. Davey says "he's in that learning phase; every player goes through it". Not every player. Trout's numbers are unbelievable: .349/.411 with 19 HRs and 57 rbis. Anybody got an explanation?

13. MicheleS - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Eddie. Look at trouts numbers last year.

14. pRAA - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM

They played Nuts About the Nats a lot in 2008, and just resurrected it about a week ago. Give it time.

15. ExposedinDC - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM

No no no …..we do not need a split catching situation or a day to help Flores with his confidence, we need an everyday catcher, this is big boy baseball not little league, if anything Suzuki should catch Stras for the experience gained down down the road, this is a pennant race and our best should be out there everyday.Without question Suzuki is a better all around catcher.

16. Candide - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Cunegonde and I are in 220 today, my nephew is in 134.GYFNG!

17. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Fast Eddie — what Michele said, and — sample size. Davey said every player goes through it, and they do. He didn't say they go through it every week, or every month. People have good whole seasons, even. McCutchen is probably the NL MVP, but he isn't going to hit .370 for the rest of his life.

18. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:03 PM

, this is a pennant race and our best should be out there everydayYes, it's a race, but what kind of race? (All together now:)It's a marathon, not a sprint. And we aren't into the final lap, yet. People need days off, and while it's no longer early, it's still early August. Davey has done this before. He's really good at it.

19. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM

20. NatsLady - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Am in 310 today. Stop by say hello.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Doc, again, lets not be reactive after one game to come to conclusions.One thing I noticed on Suzuki is how he moves inside and outside on pitches. Flores doesn't like coming inside unless the playbook is inside.At the plate, Suzuki swung at 3 high fastballs and looked like Ankiel and that was hard to watch.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I will give big props to Danny. Just saw the MASN pre-game and he stepped up on ruining Jordan's night. Said he had the stuff to go 7 or 8.LaRoche followed it up on hoping that HR gets Danny back on track.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Swift Eagle said… Some of you are saying Harper hasn't been as good as Trout this season…You're right, neither has any player in the American League…Not sure why Bryce is being singled outThe ones that want to compare never mention how Trout didn't do well as a 19 year old in the Majors last year and was sent back down.Its like comparing apples and oranges. Both great players.

24. ExposedinDC - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Was there any proclamation of Rizzo naming one of his catchers (Suzuki or Flores) the #1?

26. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Ghost, Derek….they sure don't compare Troutat 19 with Harper at 19.And they sure don't tell you that Trout turns 21 before Bryce turns 20.

27. baseballswami - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Trout is older and was a call up last September – more experience.

28. djinFl. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Ghost, the only statement from Rizzo I've seen was in Marks article: "We're going to have two pretty good catchers when Ramos gets healthy at the beginning of spring training," Rizzo said. "And we'll have a veteran presence behind a good, young player."

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

NatsJack, again, they just don't get it. Two great players. I am rooting for Trout. He's great. What BHarp has done as a 19 year old is in rare company, but the haters never want to look at that. Add to that, Harp has been playing seriously banged up.

30. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Ghost, Davey called Suzuki "A number 1 catcher" and Rizzo was clear that he "is not a rental"…It sure seems like he's the #1…

31. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Am in 310 today. Stop by say hello.Try to watch Flores see if you see any differences in his game. The guy is almost completely worn out but I expect he'll put out a huge effort. It could be worth keeping an eye on.

32. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

What BHarp has done as a 19 year old is in rare company, but the haters never want to look at that. Add to that, Harp has been playing seriously banged up.Still doing waaaaaay better than Trout at age 19. The moonshot sent a message to all of us of what we can expect to see in the future barring injury. Ghost that's what Seattle wants for King Felix. IMO I would just say no and hang up first.

33. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Swami….check that.Trout got a call up earlier last season and really struggled.

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Swift, I was told that and wanted to get a confirmation as I didn't hear that myself. Did you hear that or read it from a good source?

35. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

So, is Suzuki a 60-40 #1 catcher, or an 80-20? Leon didn't get much more than a game a week–I wonder if Flores won't see more action as the defacto #2?

36. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I saw the quotes in the Washington Post story about the trade on Friday, but I think they were in other outlets as well..I remember them, b/c like you, I was a little surprised they just sort of handed the job to Suzuki, and made no effort to say something like "these guys will compete for playing time" etc..

37. djinFl. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM

GhostI think it is in Marks article about the trade.It is in the older post section here.

38. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Now Ozzie is picking on Stras…he's such a tool

39. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

On another note, the Marlins announcers have been spouting a love fest about the Nats all weekend long. There is definitely a hint of jealousy in their tone.

40. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Sec 3, I don't disagree, however Suzuki did not play Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday of this week, I understand he did travel coast to coast but to say he needs a day off is more Davey stroking Jesus's veteran ego, another thing Davey is very good at.Well, that's certainly true. My point was more along the lines of not waiting until somebody *needs* the day off, but keeping them fresher when possible, because he might have to rely heavily on him, as they had to with Flores.

41. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:51 PM

A great point Sofa…waiting until a guy NEEDS a day off means you probably waited too long…Especially a catcher

42. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Very surprised the brass didn't stay mum on the catchers and just do it instead of demoting JFlo publicly and almost saying he won't be here in 2013 which is no surprise to me as the frustration was brewing quickly after he took over from Ramos.This should be an audition for Suzuki even for next year to make this squad.

43. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I was at the game last night, so this is way late, but I've never seen a left handed hitter look better v. lefty pitching than ALR last night…Amazing

44. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Swift, I think as the story goes, ALR's dad used to pitch to him growing up left-handed. I think Rizzo needs to reward him now and excercise his option. It would be a classy move instead of waiting to the off-season.

45. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM

if you do I am still looking for what is going to happen with SS after they shut him down. He sits in the dugout on the active roster. By then September 1st will have arrived and they will have plenty of pitching help. Looks like Ryan Perry has earned a shot in September to start a game. He has a 1.54 ERA in Harrisburg as a starter … in addition to Lannan and Maya who has also been doing well of late. All three are on the 40-man roster. They'll bring up Attie Severino a left-handed reliever (also on the 40-man) Henry will be back. I'm sure Stras will be in the dugout for the playoffs even though he won't be on the playoff roster.

46. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Count me all in for exercising ALR's option right now.

47. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I'd love to see that Ghost…I was one of the dopes hoping for Fielder in the off-season, but with some of the "erratic" arms the Nats have in the infield, a great glove at 1B is a big deal…I don't think the Nats can just shift Morse or Moore over there and expect the same reults…And of course, ALR brings a consistent bat, in the top 5 in NL in homers…Hard to ask for more than that…

48. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

if you do I am still looking for what is going to happen with SS after they shut him down. Given his surprising hitting acumen don't be surprised if you see Davey pinch hitting Stras in September just to make him feel he is still a part of it. Its something Davey would do.

49. djinFl. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You are right about the Marlins announcers this weekend NatsJack. And based on how they feel about our rotation, even with shutting down Strass, they should tell Bud to go ahead and mail us the NL East 2012 division flag now.

50. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

What you said, NatsJack. I conservatively estimate that ALR has saved our infield 15 errors already. He's been a lifesaver offensively and defensively. A real gem to watch everyday to really appreciate him.

51. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM

LaRoche .240 ISO? I think they've already exercised his option. The queue behind is pretty long. If Rendon arrives next season things will get interesting …

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Swift, you weren't a dope. None of us knew if ALR could return to 20/95. We knew his defense would be good. We needed offense and Prince is an offense machine. Glad the money was saved to extend JZim and Desi.

53. GYFNG - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Werth should lead off

54. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Danny flipped the bat last night…but FP says that wasn't on purpose….Hmmmm

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM

No manager gets more face time on an opposing broadcast than Ozzie. Maybe MASN can splitscreen (sarcasm).

56. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I would like to see LaRoche back, too, but don't expect him to have another career season (which he is, by some measures). The mitt, however, will be back.

57. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Swift Eagle said… Danny flipped the bat last night…but FP says that wasn't on purpose….Hmmmm August 05, 2012 2:10 PM 1st at-bat, yep, that was on purpose.

58. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:12 PM

UHH OH Espy hurt!!! NOT GOOD!

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM

If Marlins were in the playoff hunt, probably wait to get him later in the game. Ozzie is such a punk.We will see what Davey/Stras does.

60. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Like I said, why isn't Stras pinch-hitting? Not many can do that.

61. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM

bloody ear. Everybodycan relax.

62. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Might be the best hitting pitcher in the game.

63. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Like I said, why isn't Stras pinch-hitting? Not many can do that.I suspect he will … in September. Right now he looks like a better choice than DeRosa.

64. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Stras can hit, but he sure can't run…I THINK he can score from first on a Home Run…Maybe Lol

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Might be? Count it NJ, put it in the books!

66. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Swift Eagle said… Danny flipped the bat last night…but FP says that wasn't on purpose….HmmmmWell, they didn't hit Harper (yet). FP said it wasn't on purpose because it wasn't a fastball. But Ozzie has been known to carve his pitchers as new one in public for declining to hit people. Maybe Nolasco didn't want to blow his manager off entirely, but wasn't happy with the orders. Just guessing.

67. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Swift Eagle: But could he score from first on a triple?

68. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Thank you, Bo.

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Here is where you have to make the plunking hurt. Bases loaded w/ 1 out. Lets go RZ

70. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Stras would have a hard time scoring from second on a triple.

71. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Eugene, would that be a Roger Bernadina triple or an Adam LaRoche triple?

72. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Haha..Eugene…NO Chance…His nickname should be Steinbach, he looks like he's got a piano on his back…

73. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Air Time for Ozzie…

74. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Steinway, but yes.

75. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Haha..Shows what I know Sofa! Thanks

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM

ALR is locked in like a heat seeking missle.

77. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Swift, don't ask how I happen to know that. It ain't from piano lessons.

78. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Hold on Sofa…I wasn't totally off…Lolwww.steinbachpiano.com

79. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Riggleman's Chad Gaudin … yep bring 'em in!

80. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Sofa, I can only imagine how hard the top of the piano was.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM

When Morse can identify the slider that dances that far outside, he will save himself many bad ABs.

82. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Eagle, I sit corrected.

83. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Sec. 3: Actually, Roger Bernadina might well pass him between second and third…But seriously, pitchers hitting (or not) should be part of the game. I'm not going to say I'll give up following baseball if they ever institute the DH in the NL (bite my tongue), but — as a lifelong NL fan — I will be crushed.

84. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I'm just glad NatsLady isn't here to see that.

85. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Sec. 3: Actually, Roger Bernadina might well pass him between second and third…I think I'll wait and see what he's like when he's not pitching. I suspect he'll easily beat LaRoche and Tyler Moore.

86. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Espi up with nobody on base. this should be interesting

87. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Physics? I'm praying our 2 Billion dollar super SUV makes it to Mars after the seven minutes of nail biting. Now, that's a real challenge to Physics and Engineering

88. Drew - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Please don't give Stras a 9-0 lead … (Ducks)

89. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM

The loop in the LH swing was back on that one…Danny going for the HR again

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Nah, typical Nats could have delivered the knockout punch. Danny and JFlo both 1st ball hitting.

91. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Swift, huge loop. It was a 79mph pitch so he pulled it. On a fastball, it would have been blown by him.Sometimes ball meets bat.

92. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM

The loop in the LH swing was back on that one…Danny going for the HR againRepost from Previous Thread: I'm starting the LEGION of PATIENCE.Patience with young players and prospects. They aren't going to miracle workers and they haven't been playing for 5 to 10 years like Kurt Suzuki. That has to include Jesus Flores and Ramos when he comes back. It definitely includes olympic champion level athlete Danny Espnosa. And Harper as he adjusts to major league breaking pitches, umpires, and the long grueling season.Even Davey admits he wasn't this patient when he first started managing. But he learned from watching prospects grown before his eyes.

93. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Davey is right to be patient with Danny and Ian…Athletic middle infielders with power are rare…It's not hard to find the slap-hitting defensive specialists…Davey still has enough Earl Weaver in him to stand by infielders who can hot 20 bombs…Makes perfect sense to me

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Peric, do you observe? Patience is great. Watching Espi trying to be a power hitter isn't his game. Play contact. Its worked for Lombo and for Shark.Again patience and development work at the AAA level. Hard to allow it on a post-season contender. You are asking this team to revert back to rebuilding mode.

95. waddu eye no - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM

mark:but the question is which Stephen Strasburg they'll get today. answer – The RBI machine!gyfng

96. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM

There's good patience and bad patience.

97. waddu eye no - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM

natsie – might be able to help arrange. just a matter of how to contact each other. maybe we can exchange emails through mark z? i'll send him one and see if he's amenable.

98. A DC Wonk - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM

RZ's arm and footwork looked pretty good on that one.

99. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM

How about a footrace between Stras, Carlos Lee, and Teddy Roosevelt? May be the only way for Teddy to finaly get a W…

100. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I'll take Stras over Lee and Teddy over them both if Teddy will finish the race.

101. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM

See what Lombo just did? That's what Espi has to do. Contact man. Not HR man.

102. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM

OK, that kid is losing his patience, there.

103. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM

104. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM

You are asking this team to revert back to rebuilding mode.Of course and if you're smart you can both win and rebuild simultaneously. Its what makes Davey think he is one of the best managers in all of major league baseball. Because he manages to find a way to do exactly that. I just wish he'd do more rebuilding and less picking up veteran bench guys who are pretty worthless … okay so its a pet peeve of JayB but I do believe he is right on this score.

105. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM

He'd trade that new Mercedes he got for a few fastballs once in a whileI wonder, would that work?

106. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Poor Bryce…He'd trade that new Mercedes he got for a few fastballs once in a while…He's seeing nothing but junk..I could be wrong but I suspect its just the opposite. He wants them to continue doing that because eventually he is going to figure it out and then you just might have a guy who just might make McCutchen look like a singles hitter. That is what Harper does best, learn and adapt.

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Agreed Peric. Keep seeing it and adjust. Make contact with the balls that are strikes or keep fouling them off until you get the one you want or a pitchers mistake like last night.

108. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Might be time that Stras is running out of gas. Lets see what Stras has here against Buck.

109. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Big difference between "rebuilding" and creating a pipeline.

110. A DC Wonk - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

McCatty the magician. Again. Six straight balls, a McCatty visit, then three straight strikes including a wicked front door curve.

111. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Very true Jack…remember all those years when the Braves would bring up guys from the minors who had talent AND knew how to play? The Nats look similar…In fact, they had so many good young guys, I would argue that one of the reasons for the Braves post season failures was they didn't have enough "goon squad" types on the playoff roster….

112. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Espi just came through defensively for Stras. That was huge as Stras was struggling to get through that inning.Big decision for Davey. Does Stras come out for the 6th?

113. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Ghost…..yes…he needs to go at least 6.

114. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM

He's at 79 pitches so he'll starr the 6th but the first sign of trouble, he's done.

115. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Big difference between "rebuilding" and creating a pipeline. August 05, 2012 3:05 PM Definitely in creating pipeline mode. Trying to explain the difference to Peric why there is something in this sport called the Minor Leagues.

116. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Derek……the value of quality experience over youthfull exuberance is highly desired in playoff "any sport".You still at the same e-mail address?

117. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:18 PM

And here come the Astros…Tied it up

118. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

That was a nice AB for Danny. Recognized each pitch.

119. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Yes sir Jack! Same e-mail…and I'm in for the 17th

120. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Trying to explain the difference to Peric why there is something in this sport called the Minor Leagues.Fortunately, one very important expert doesn't agree with you. His name is Davey Johnson. And its not rebuilding, its not "pipeline". Its called Player Development and Davey believes that a big part of that is doing it IN THE major leagues not the minor leagues.How may here keep claiming that Lannan's numbers don't mean anything because they are in AAA? Make up your minds.Meanwhile, I like Davey's approach … its far better than Giggleman's Isle … thankfully now down in Florida with the Blue Wahoos.

121. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Ghost….having watched over 1,000 AA and high A games over the last 38 years live and in person, think I know the difference.

122. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Peric, player development occurs at all levels of the organization.This team is out of rebuilding and in pennant mode. This is why Ankiel, Nady, and Henry and Wang to the DL.

123. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM

NatsJack, the question isn't whether you do, does he?

124. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Yes Davey likes to have prospects in the big leagues…but he also has always had a veteran, Goon Squad bench on his playoff teams…Kevin Mitchell and George Foster in NYHarold Baines, Pete Incavallia , and Geronimo Berroa in BaltI'm sure he sees DeRosa and Tracy as those type of guys this year…

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:28 PM

The defense has been stellar today.

126. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM

A great pitch, and nice play by Lombo…Uncle Mo in the 1B dugout today…

127. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

See….It was the horrible defense that frustrated me so much yesterday.

128. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

And you were right Jack…but you weren't posting nonsense like: "The season is over, Fire Rizzo, Fire Davey….But I hope I'm wrong"Those are the "fans" who drive me nuts…

129. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Where are the haters who were ready to throw Strasburg under the bus 5 days ago? True to form, back to a real good start by Stras.

130. peric - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM

This team is out of rebuilding and in pennant mode.But a majority of this pennant mode team have only been in the majors 1 or 2 years at most. One is only 19 years old. They are still developing. And if the Nats are smart they will continue the rebuilding process, if they can, down in the minor leagues because they still have too many filler players that are too old for the level. If an organization is smart they know that the job isn't done yet and player development doesn't end after AAA. You need only watch a few Syracuse Chief's games to know that … there's more to see in the upper minors, in AA and AAA. Not in the GCL in Florida.

131. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Haha Ghost…we won't hear from them today…They aren't even Fair-Weather fans…They're actually Bad-Weather Fans, or just plain malcontents..

132. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Well, that and the bachelor pod of PHans In Nats Clothing who seem to enjoy it, Jack.

133. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Those are the "fans" who drive me nuts… They're PHINCs, and that's the polite version. That is, the ones who aren't sock puppets.

134. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Swift, its one area I agree with Peric that the malcontents of i695 that bow down to a stooge named Angelos arrive to gloat when any Nats isn't doing well.They don't understand that a 2.97 ERA is Ace and recovering from TJ has its ups and downs.

135. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Carlos Lee looks like a DP candidate, even when nobody's on base…

136. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM

OK, I know it's hot out there, but Morse really looked like he was lollygagging that one.

137. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Braves just blew it open. 4-1

138. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Huge 1st out.

139. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I cut my eye teeth on Orlando Twin Southern League baseball. 17 year season ticket holder sitting in rhe scouts section. Learned a thing or two about developement.

140. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Everything's Up from Stamman here…needs to get it down…

141. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Yeah, Zimmerman needs to go to first. What a bum at third.

142. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Just a simple 5-3…Wow he makes that look easy!

143. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM

The ball just rolls up into his hand, on a dead run. The Force is strong with that one.

144. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Just outstanding defense. From Bryce's diving play to Espinosa, to Lombo to Zim there.

145. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Mark's latest update..for the "Stras Stinks" Club who may not pay attention…3:33 p.m. — Strasburg is done after six strong innings. His final line: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K. So, he's now given up four or more earned runs five times in his career. His ERA the next time he takes the mound: 0.90.

146. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

147. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

So the "Don't Shut Jeezuz Down" troop can argue that the plan should be, sabotage him for his last regular season start, just before the playoffs–make sure he gets hit hard–and THEN send him out in October.

148. Gonat - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Out at the ballpark and wanted to comment on yesterday, after a long doubleheader, the team had to be at the picnic yesterday. Seems every time they have a team event it takes its tollToday, great defense, yesterday horrible.

149. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Should Rendon prove to shake his penchant for injury and should he prove tobe a true ML bat, all things that are unknown at this time, expect Zim to go to first around 2014 or 2015.

150. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Yes they do Gonat…I'd like to see them get to play the Yankees again without 2 "Galas" during the series…Some bad event planning this year

151. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Section 3, My Sofa said… That's the difference. They make those plays yesterday, and they win that game. Uh, well, Zimmermann wins that game, anyway. Seriously, that's another one they owe him. August 05, 2012 3:51 PM JZim rolled thru the 1st inning like a hot knife thru butter.He had the A game going. Its unfortunate. Like I said, it was eerily reminiscent of 2009 with defense killing wins except this time the other team screwed up worse.

152. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Spin and throw–hey, move Burnett to second base!

153. Gonat - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM

A suggestion to Feffer, do these events in the off-season. The Yankees do no team/fan events because the event is on the field and its called winning baseball.Please stop this. Baseball is a marathon. Don't give the opposition an unfair advantage.

154. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Lets get some add-on runs.

155. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Gonat, even the Yankees do some fan and corporate butt kissing but the Yankees pull in 2 bench players and some relief pitchers and a starting pitcher who pitched a night or so before.Didn't think of that Picnic At The Park as why they looked so ragged.

156. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Again with the Dierks Bentley? I thought Daimler-Benz bought them.

157. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

158. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Haha…The Nats could be 22 over for the first time since 1933..which I think is when they started promoting the Dierks Bentley concert…

159. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Almost got Lombo's elbow, lucky there, but man, that's why a catcher is supposed to keep his throwing hand behind his back. That has to hurt.

160. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

And Johnny Holliday mc'd it.

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Needed those add-on runs. That stinks.

162. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Sofa…. the hand behind the back with no one on. With a man on, no.

163. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Great spot for Drew.

164. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Section 3, My Sofa said… To be fair, Feffer doesn't get the Yankees brand to promote. He has to work with what he has. August 05, 2012 4:09 PM Nobody has that. My point is winning is the key. Do your Winter FanFest. Do events with role players. Can't parade these guys out there. They knew the picnic would be the day after a doubleheader on an August day.Bad timing.Late night team dinners before the Yankees day game the next day isn't good timing.There are other ways to market the teams.

165. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

So I was doing it rong. Hmm.

166. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

As an ex-catcher myself, yes you were.

167. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I squat corrected.

168. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Thank you sir.

169. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Dominating close for Storen! Save #1 of 2012

170. Swift Eagle - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Storen looks a lot more comfortable in a save situation…Those Closers are some weird Dudes

171. JD - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

we're gonna need him. Nice neat close out by Sean and Drew and a great start by Stras.

172. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

May I just say, Woooooo HooooooooTM Michele

173. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Swift, yes. Hoping today was an audition. Always need a backup closer with all the close games Nats have in the 9th.

174. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Kristina with the sleeveless–Sun's Out, Guns Out!

175. Section 3, My Sofa - Aug 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

No gatorade?? Hey, Akra's drycleaner has a mortgage, too, yanno.