Game 109: Nats at Astros

Aug 6, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Minute Maid Park hosts the Nationals the next four nights.

There are no sure things in baseball, where any team can beat any other team on any given day. But as they open a four-game series in Houston tonight, the Nationals probably can't help but believe they should be heavily favored to win each night. The Astros, to put it bluntly, are a train wreck, having blown up their roster over the last month and gone almost entirely with kids in advance of their relocation to the AL next season. This team is 3-21 since July 8.

A Nationals club that opens the final third of the regular season on pace to win 97-98 games will send Edwin Jackson to the mound for the series opener. They'll field what figures to be their regular lineup for the next three weeks or so, with Kurt Suzuki behind the plate, Jayson Werth in the outfield and Danny Espinosa and Steve Lombardozzi manning the middle infield positions.

Though they claimed Cesar Izturis off waivers from the Brewers today, the veteran infielder has not arrived in Houston yet, so the Nats may have to play a man down in this game. Mark DeRosa has been placed on the DL with an abdominal strain.

I'm not in Houston for this series, but I will be heading to Phoenix for this weekend's series. In the meantime, enjoy tonight's game and the conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at HOUSTON ASTROS
Where: Minute Maid Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 88 degrees, Wind 4 mph out to CF

SS Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

1. sjm308 - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Wow – where did the Astro's team go? I of course know Maxwell and have heard of Altuve & Shafer but that's it for me kids. This is truly a AAA lineup. So knowing the superstition that exists here I can't wait to hear from all of you but we need 3 of 4 against a team like this.Go Nats!! Go Playoffs!

2. MicheleS - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

GYFNG! i think Suzuki has a big night. So i will only have the phone for updates tonight, if someone has the time I would love a little play by play.

3. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

4. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Ha, train wreck. I like what you did there, Mark. I've often wondered whether opposing pitchers hear the Minute Maid Park train whistle in their nightmares. Hope that none of ours will. Also hope that some opposing pitchers hear the submarine horn in theirs. ("What are you watching, kids? Turn down the volume, please. Daddy's trying to take a soothing nap after facing the Nats. What's that? Hunt for Red October?" [Aoooga! Aooga!] "Noooo! Make it stop…"er, we now return you to your regularly scheduled blog post. Go, Edwin! Go, NATS!

5. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Yeah, and I dropped this ")".

6. JaneB - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I was happy that JMax hit two dingers the other night. I am hoping he goes five games before he hits any others. Meanwhile, Atlanta has a crazy easy schedule from here out. What's up with that?GYFNG!

7. pRAA - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

NatsLady said… So, when he gets here, Izturis will play 2B and Lombo will sit? Or will Izturis play short and Danny will go back to 2B?Neither. Izturis replaces DeRosa as backup MI. Maybe he'll get a start every week or so to keep him fresh.

8. MicheleS - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Mark I hope you get to go to SF as well.

9. peric - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM

So, when he gets here, Izturis will play 2B and Lombo will sit? Or will Izturis play short and Danny will go back to 2B?He's not a starter. He will be on the bench replacing DeRosa until Desmond comes back. Then I guess they bring back DeRosa, no one really understands why. Izturis can't hit so Davey isn't going to start him Natslady. Its why they didn't bring up Koyie Hill and instead went out and got Suzuki.

10. The Fox - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

NatsLady,pRAA is correct but he will get a few starts at SS against RH. Was a GG SS in his day top of the line defense. Haven't seen him play much since the O's in 2010 and he was a fine SS then. An injury now does not potentially destroy the season. Waiting to see what he has left in the tank he might surprise us.

11. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM

It's creepy to post this: Go, Phillies!

12. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Agreed NatsLady at 5:36 (as I squirm uncomfortably)

13. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Davey back to Espi at leadoff

14. Clip&Store - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM

do any of you comment on other nats sites? i personally do on washington post and masn and occasionally on espn (but i dont like that as much because other teams trolls are so ruthless and annoying)

15. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Fan dilemmas- rooting for the Phil's, ever. I guess we need to make sacrifices for our team. Hope there is no let down in Houston. Bad teams live to beat first place teams.

16. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I comment on Hardball Talk when it's Nats-related and sometimes on MLB. I read the Nationals Journal (WaPo) comments (which have improved greatly) but don't comment there much as it pretty much duplicates what is said here.

17. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Bad teams live to beat first place teams.True. But the Astros are the approximate equivalent of an AAA or AAAA team. Generally minor league teams don't beat first-place ML teams. I think our main goal is to not get complacent and not get injured.

18. Candide - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Clip&Store – I used to be on the WaPo site all the time and finally got sick of the lack of troll control there.

19. Joe Seamhead - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Mark Zuckerman said…A Nationals club that opens the final third of the regular season on pace to win 97-98 games…How cool is it to read that, Nats Fans?What were the odds?Too cool, that's how cool!And the odds weren't good, But, the goods are odd.

20. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

NatsLady @ 5:36: Concur.

21. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I like AK's writing, even when it's basically the same subject. But a lot of the people who post there are pretty tough to stomach. I have a new fan test as of today. When someone says IF Stras is shut down I have no use for them. I only pay attention to people who say WHEN Stras is shut down.

22. do1teach1 - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Quick question: Has anyone here noticed how Flores throws his warm-up throw to second base at the start of each inning?As a fan, this has always been one of my favorite things to watch. It's just amazing how catchers can put the ball on a line to second, usually about 3 inches above the bag.But not Flores, at least not this year. He throws these big arching lollipops to second.So one additional question. We hear lots of reports that Flores is tired, but do we have any reports that he might be hurt?

23. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Sometimes I comment on HighHeatStats if there is an error. The author(s) are pretty knowlegable and less superficial than Hardball Talk. On the latter site you get a headline and cute (snide) stuff from the bloggers, but you can get good insights from the commenters who are actual fans of the teams involved.BTW, the Nats are 4-0 in games that Werth has played since his return…

24. Joe Seamhead - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

NatsLady said…It's creepy to post this: Go, Phillies!August 06, 2012 5:36 PM ———————–I said a week, or so, ago that the Phillies could still play the part of spoiler before this is all over. Let's hope that they get that spoiler stuff out of their system over the next few games!I already hate the fact that I can't say "last place Phillies" anymore as the stinky Fish moved into last place last night.

25. Candide - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

BTW, I downloaded the android 6-4-3 Baseball Scorecard app earlier today. The learning curve is a little frustrating; the youtube demo is obviously being done on a pad, rather than a smartphone so the interface is somewhat different on my Motorola. But it looks pretty good; I'm hoping it will work well when I have to enter a double switch, or the mess the other night when Bonifacio was injured and Ozzie played musical positions with his entire lineup all at once. Some criticism I've seen is that it's very difficult to go back and correct a mistake after an AB has been entered; you can fix things right up until you move on to the next batter. Seems the developer is working on that.Anyway, I pulled out the scoresheet I did for yesterday's game, practiced with that, so I'm ready for the Astros game tonight. One really nice thing: you can import a team's entire roster, so filling in the lineups and positions is easy-peazy.

26. do1teach1 - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

One more question if you all don't mind.It seemed to me that, in the Saturday and Sunday wins, that the Nats finally got the message that they don't have to be bombarding us with idiotic electronic prompts every five seconds to get us to cheer on the team.It seems like they are finally letting the fans take over the job of cheering-on the team.Did anyone else notice this?Thanks…end of my questions for today!

27. Candide - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

28. Candide - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

do1teach1 said…It seemed to me that, in the Saturday and Sunday wins, that the Nats finally got the message that they don't have to be bombarding us with idiotic electronic prompts every five seconds to get us to cheer on the team. I've noticed that that really annoying, "Every-body clap yo' hands!" business may be dying an unlamented death.Really. When Stras hits a two-run single, I don't need no stinking disembodied voice to get up and yell.And I'm sure as hell not going to clap when Espi swipes at that low inside fastball for strike three.

29. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120805&content_id=36192118&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlbLucky the Nats didn't get Oswalt, Dempster or Darvish. Their pitching staff with injuries and the new signings are causing major issues. If Dempster doesn't get on track, Texas will really look bad. How's that Darvish and his 4+ ERA doing? Since the beginning of July, Darvish is 1-3 with a 6.82 ERA in 5 starts, and his 70 walks are the third most in the AL.

30. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Apparently the Nationals were cheering on the Women's National soccer team in the clubhouse and were extremely loud when the ladies won in stoppage time in the 126th minute to go into the gold medal round. They recognize guts and perseverance since those are qualities they see in the mirror every day. I just think that's a nice story. Maybe it fired them up.

31. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

MLB Tonight is discussing Oswalt dilemna right now.

32. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I have a confession to make. I DVR'd Saturday night's game. I have watched the eighth inning multiple times – can't bring myself to delete it. Such a rush. I cannot even imagine what it was like at the park and the guys in the dugout looked as fired up as I have ever seen them. So cool.

33. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM

baseballswami, WARNING, just don't watch inning 2 to 7.

34. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Hahaha. Yeah. Even seeing 3 errors on the scoreboard is traumatic.

35. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Manny Acta in blog h*ll back in Cleveland after a nosedive.ESPN just wrote this:General manager Chris Antonetti expressed support for Indians manager Manny Acta and his coaching staff following the least successful trip in the franchise's 112-year history.Cleveland went 0-9 at Minnesota, Kansas City and Detroit, ending the trip with a 10-8 loss to the Tigers on Sunday when All-Star closer Chris Perez gave up five runs with two outs in the 10th inning.Cleveland trailed Chicago by 3½ games when the trip began and went into Monday 9½ games behind the AL Central-leading White Sox.

36. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Don't underestimate this Astros club. Their recent losing habits aside, they play tough, hardnosed baseball. Quality pitching, as always, needs to be the the centerpiece.

37. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

NatsJack – underestimating any ball club is dangerous. The Phils beat us twice, the Marlins almost did. Complacency would be an easy thing to fall into after this last weekend. With the 24 man roster and no back up middle infielder tonight – Danny and Lombo need to be careful.

38. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM

39. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

40. mick - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Historically we have had a tough times verse Astros… we also have had some bad umpiring and I still remember in 2010 Matt Capps getting screwed by the umps on some awful calls

41. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Re. other sites, I used to be a regular (reader and commenter) on the WaPo Nats blog. When they changed the interface it was way too slow for me. (Plus there was this awesome new blog over here. :-)) I do read posts over there when I have time, but not the comments.

42. mick - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I agree with FP and the silver fox that there are some things one just cannot explain and one is why some teams just have another teams number and why some pitchers do as well

43. Section 222 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Swami, I was AT the game on Saturday, and I've watched the DVR recording twice already as well. It was a tremendous rush being there — not just what the team did but the crowd reaction. It felt like the whole place collectively realized, "this team is for real, and it's going to go a long way this season." Great fun. No reverse locks here guys. After what the Astros did to us in 2010, I'll be holding my breath — and that's even without Berkman, Carlos Lee, and Wandy. That's a weird park they have there, with the short left field and the bizarre center field hill. I'm telling myself I'll be happy with a split (but of course I won't.)

44. JD - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I hate it when fans predict 4 out 4 or 3 out 4. Let's just win tonight and take it from there.

45. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

162 * .602 = 97.5 There ya go.

46. mick - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

natsfan1a this is the BEST blog ever, with the best people!!

47. Candide - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

natsfan1a said…On another note, is it me or does that math not compute? A Nationals club that opens the final third of the regular season on pace to win 97-98 games.They currently have a .602 winning percentage. 162 * .602 = 97.524.Though getting that last .524ths of a win is going to be tougher than the first 97…

48. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Agreed, JD – nothing can ever be taken for granted in this game.

49. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Agreed re. underestimating any ballclub, or looking past them to the next series. Remember the days when the Nats really [stunk] and skippers would get fired after losing a series to them? You never know what might happen. There's a reason they play the games and all that.

50. mick - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

swami… thats why they play the game, lol

51. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Candide, thanks, I didn't remove my post fast enough after I realized that I'd had an Emily Litella moment. I wasn't reading that as a range, 97 to 98, but rather as a final tally, 97 and 98. So, never mind. :-)

52. Section 222 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I stopped reading the MASN blog when Goessling left. Should I read it again? I still read Kilgore regularly, especially when he's travelling with the team and Mark is not. But the comments are pretty worthless over there. How could anyone add anything to the discussion here. Plus, the interface is terrible. What the heck is a "top comment" anyway. All comments are created equal here!! I'm still proud of us for ignoring the reply feature on this blog so that all the comments are chronological. Well done folks.

53. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Agreed, Mick. Also the best host. :-)mick said… natsfan1a this is the BEST blog ever, with the best people!! August 06, 2012 6:35 PM

54. Joe Seamhead - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

55. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I don't read the MASN blogs much. Sometimes I'll click on a link from this site's blog roll. Once in a while I look at the message board on the team site. I don't tend to comment at either of those sites, although I did comment at MASN some back in the day, before you had to have an account. sec222, I've wondered about the "top comment" thing as well. Oh, and I read the Bos and Hamilton chats over there and sometimes submit comments/questions.

56. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I link to Kolko or Comak occasionally to read a story. That's all.

57. Joe Seamhead - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Candide said…@ Joe Seamhead: I was right behind a maroon Mazda 5 with Virginia plates "SEAMHED" leaving the parking area near the concrete plant yesterday. Was that you?August 06, 2012 6:00 PM———————That's not me, though I like the plate. Also, I was parked by the plant, too, but no Mazda, no VA plates.

58. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I read this nll day every day. I enjoy Nats Enquirer for good humor. I will also skim Marks blogroll for items. Federal Baseball and Amanda sometimes with good writings

59. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Oops, I do read Comak as well. Tried to comment over there when she first came on board but couldn't get through the interface. NatsInsider interface = teh awesomez. :-)

60. slidell2 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Point of caution: the Astros are nearly a .500 team at home. Don't expect them to roll over for us. Remember back; we pulled some surprises when we were bad.

61. Candide - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Section 222 said…I'm still proud of us for ignoring the reply feature on this blog so that all the comments are chronological. Well done folks.Disagree on that. "Reply" makes the discussion easier to follow, especially when the topic of the original post has gotten derailed. Earlier post today was about Werth's quick return to form and it quickly became a discussion of Flores's future, which is certainly an interesting topic for discussion, but it made it harder to follow the original post discussion.OTOH, I reallyreallyreallyreally appreciate the troll-free atmosphere here. Vigorous discussion, the occasional insult, but practically never anything that's simply flamebait.

62. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM

NatsLady said… 162 * .602 = 97.5 There ya go. August 06, 2012 6:35 PM ______________________________I liked April 25th when the Nats were on that 126 win pace! Nothing like starting a season 14-4!

63. Section 222 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Amanda Comak is great. I enjoy her posts alot, even though you have to be exposed to links to all the other garbage in the Wash Times. I really enjoy the Nationals Baseball blog written by Harper. Now that Chris Needham and FJB don't blog any more, he's the best non-beat writer blogger out there.

64. Section 222 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Candide — If I spent 24/7 here, I could follow discussions with the reply feature. But if you just pop in and out, and there are over a hundred comments, it's a huge pain to have to scroll up to figure out if someone has made an interesting reply on a topic you're interested in. So I like plain old fashioned chronological commenting. And lots of folks have figured out how to quote previous comments in order to make their replies more understandable.

65. John C. - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

On the topic of other Nats blogs, when not causing trouble here I am often over at Federal Baseball. It's another good comunity, although be forewarned – they don't tolerate bad language :/)

66. natsfan1a - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Likewise. Section 222 said…Candide — If I spent 24/7 here, I could follow discussions with the reply feature. But if you just pop in and out, and there are over a hundred comments, it's a huge pain to have to scroll up to figure out if someone has made an interesting reply on a topic you're interested in. So I like plain old fashioned chronological commenting. August 06, 2012 6:57 PM

67. peric - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I still like to go over there to see what new silly post Ori'holes mega fan Poopy_McPoop puts up. I guess the Nats winning and the Orioles losing finally had an effect; he changed his handle …

68. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM

The real reason Cesar Izturis isn't in the lineup tonight is because Mike Wallace didn't have a Z for his jersey nameplate. (wink)

69. peric - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

70. peric - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM

It's another good comunity, although be forewarned – they don't tolerate bad language :/)Patrick likes to make up new words like "MOAR" instead of more and he likes to call Michael Morse "Mickey Morse" etc. … He's an Expo's fan. Not really what I would characterize as a true Nats fan. Comes from a different tree if you will.

71. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Kilgore with lots of Tweets. Desi took grounders today and short-toss.Then this: Davey Johnson will sleep better with Cesar Izturis in the fold, and he felt lucky the Nats had a shot to get him.

72. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I follow most of the local baseball people on twitter. News usually breaks there first and is quick to read. No substance, good sound bites.

73. Gonat - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Message to Nats, "Stay hungry my friends"

74. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Wow, and here I thought six was a lotta unearned runs.YCPB ‏@cantpredictballRT @Stefmara: The Twins have scored 10 runs in the 2nd inning against the Indians. Eight are unearned.Indians are really tanking. Atlanta just put up 3 against the Fils.

75. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I, too, follow the Nats beat guys and gal on Twitter and rarely miss opening Amanda's links to her pieces. But this is the first and last place I always check. Getting close to game time: May we help the Astros feel just LOTS better about the inevitable break in their losing streak that will arrive sometime along about August 10th. And not a moment before.GYFNG!

76. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Oh my, Indian's implosion continues. 1 error led to 8 unearned after the 2nd inning started with 2 home runs. 8 more runs scored with 2 outs.

77. BigCat - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

A bottom feeder always loves to knock off the top team, as well we know. No walks, no errors.

78. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Oh no. We got Angel Hernandez on this crew. Do we seem to have him and Balkin' Bob and Joe West and Laz Diaz more than other teams do? Any site keep track of such things?

79. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Bryce maybe saw 1 strike in that AB. Unreal. No respect for the real strike zone. Do some of these umps purposely expand the zone on him?

80. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM

81. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM

EJax getting squeezed in the zone. Got hit for a dinger, and stranded a guy. Astros up 0-1. Now our turn again. ALR up.FP says the stadium is dead. I wish our guys could hear us SHOUTING AT THE TV GYFNG!

82. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

OK, Edwin kept his "bad" first inning to one HR. Got strange calls from ump and apparently had a mixup w/ Suzuki that should have been a WP but the runner didn't advance.

83. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Off topic, but imploding Indians GM gives Manny a vote of confidence.A few more innings like today's 10-runner by the Twins, and Manny is dead man walking. May already be.

84. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM

It's now 12-1 Twins over Cleveland and Mayberry homered so it's 4-1 ATL over Philly. Gotta drive for about an hour so someone else can do play-by-play.

85. joemktg - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Hoping this is a big roadtrip for the team, as they have an opportunity to do some damage in the standings over the next 10 days.

86. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM

And first hit as a Nat for Suzuki.

87. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Suzuki with a heck of a line drive for his 1st Nationals hit. Well at least that's what it will look like in the box score!

88. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Notice how the pitcher didn't get the same strike on LaRoche that he got on Harper.

89. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Werth is smart. Got right in the shortstop's way on that grounder hoping to cause an error. It didn't work but good screen Jayson. Its the little things he tries to do that go unnoticed.

90. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said… Same old J-Max. I love the guy. But he can't hit a breaking pitch to save his soul.But thanks for the homers against the Braves over the weekend. August 06, 2012 8:26 PM ________________________________I disagree. Can't hit RH breakers and good changeups well.If the Nats would have had him in a platoon, maybe he could have developed. He got great schooling with the Yankees and is a much better hitter today than with the Nats.

91. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Astros? really? cmon. Beaves taking care of there business

92. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Next to that carnival of a park in Miami, this has got to be the goofiest park in the NL. Between the train ride and that post in the middle of that hill in CF, you can get dizzy just watching a game. Who designed this thing, Salvador Dali?

93. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Astros? really? cmon. Beaves taking care of there business

94. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Dallas kueghel AKA Nolan Ryan

95. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Anybody else getting a little restless?

96. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Still no runs for us after three.

97. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Kristina had a little trouble in that between inning report. Couldn't remember Izturis's name. Can't blame her really, but it was awkward. Interesting info that Davey was considering Zim as the backup SS, and that Chad Tracy said he once played the position. Davey told him, that was 3 hernias and quite a few pounds ago.

98. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Anybody else getting a little restless?Nah.

99. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Sec 222 Ill check back in an hour with you.

100. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM

FO says the Philthies are gonna have to take back their own park after not selling out tonight. FUNNY!

101. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM

102. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Anybody else getting a little restless?==================Not until after the 6th (so long as it stays within a run or two).

103. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… I'm in a much better mood now. It was a gaping hole at backup shortstop. What if Espi was injured in that spike to hand play yesterday? Nats had no real organizational depth at shortstop. Probably Ryan Zimmerman and Chad Tracy to 3rd. August 06, 2012 4:13 PM _________________________________Here you go Section 222

104. Secret wasian man - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM

jesus Suzuki with a horrible effort. But he sure can hit.

105. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Gonat said…Section 222 said… Interesting info that Davey was considering Zim as the backup SSAugust 06, 2012 8:54 PM ______________________________Is that right, I saw one of our members suggest that this morning.====================if I'm not mistaken, Ryan Zimmerman was an All-ACC and All-American shortstop when he played at UVa. Mark Reynolds was at 3B.While he hasn't played SS much (maybe a game or two in 2005?) in the majors, I'd prefer him than Mr. Tracy or Mr. Morse.

106. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM

107. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Gonat, yes. Saw that this morning too. What was interesting was that Davey said that might have been the plan. According to Kristina, Davey was pretty happy that there was a decent backup SS available at this point in the season.

108. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Section 222, wouldn't be surprised if Ghost had already talked to Davey about that.

109. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

What, me worry?

110. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

How bad is Darvish. 5 earned thru 6 and a 4.52 ERA now.

111. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM

its official. im restless

112. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM

LaRoche!

113. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM

ALR singled Ryan home! MVP!

114. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM

see, that comment helped. Sorry everbody Ive been nervous since May.

115. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I love LaRoche talking about how his father to this day still pitches to him left-handed. Like Ghost suggested over the weekend, time to sign that option.

116. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I hate when he says crooked number!!

117. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I will take a Wild Pitch here.

118. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:17 AM

119. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Strike Zone is a joke. 5'9" Lombo gets a strike called on him as if he was 6'3"

120. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Maxwell hasn't hit the curve ball even when he was playing 14 year old select AAU

121. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Same old J-Max. Why any pitcher would throw a strike to this guy is amazing to me.

122. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM

123. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM

JaneB said… Secret wasian man, the cure for that is a delightful concoction called Nationals Bourbon and Maalox cocktail. My preference is to use the bourbon to cleanse the palate before the Maalox and then as a chaser. Makes everything lots better until the hitting kicks in. WHich it will.My preference is to allow the bourbon to cleanse the bourbon and then wash it down with more bourbon. The Maalox is strictly for appearances.And never, ever before 7 a.m. 7:05 is fine.

124. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM

More on Maxwell: Notice that he has an uppercut swing — but not a real quick bat. Pitchers who werent very good, or didnt know would give him low fastballs: exactly what he could hit. Pitchers who knew would throw him high cheese and curveballs and JMax was toast.Funny as nothing has changed.

125. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM

126. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM

NatsFanSinceStart, I disagree on Maxwell. He is much better and kills lefty pitching.

127. A DC Wonk - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I never would have believed this, but TV just showed a graphic that the Nats have the best record in MLB against rookie pitchers. 14-2.

128. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said… True Story. When Maxwell was 14, he played on an AAU team that finished 16th in the nation. Maxwell batted third that whole summer. His B.A. .185. Yep, I know because my son played on that team. Max was a great kid — just couldnt hit well, especially the curve. August 06, 2012 9:27 PM __________________________Just curious, what team was that?

129. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Harper didn't get rung up. Nice!!!!

130. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM

What is Houston thinking? 3rd baseman on the cut.

131. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Carp called it, and Edwin ignited it. Zimm got a chopped up third base side and brought home two (and he was out at second). 3-1 US! Waisian man, the bourbon is good for celebrating runs, too.

132. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Hitting is contagious!

133. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:46 AM

How ya feelin' now Waisian? Probably didn't even have time to get the bourbon out.

134. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

So ALR hits in a DP. But we are up 4-1, due to Morse hit. Life is good, as a Nats fan.

135. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

The Astros fans look like they've seen this movie before…

136. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Eugene, we were there from 2006 to 2010

137. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Oh yeah. I remember. We all do.

138. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Some of the graphics MASN is coming up with are great. Record against rookie pitchers, record in games scoring 4 or more runs. Stat after stat showing what a great season we're having. Thank goodness Rizzo is playing for 2013. :-)

139. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Wow i really hate the Phil's. Throw us a bone.

140. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Jayson was schooled there.

141. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Off-topic, but here's why there was no gasoline line at the trading deadline for this guy:Chicago Cubs right-hander Matt Garza has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and will be shut down "indefinitely," general manager Jed Hoyer said Monday. Garza hasn't pitched since he felt stiffness in his right elbow in a July 21 start

142. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM

12 hits? All singles, right? That's odd.

143. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM

JaneB said… Sunshine, I'll try it your way next time. Just to make sure you know what you're talking about. August 06, 2012 9:31 PM Now, THAT'S funny…

144. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Edwin couldn't even groove a strike to Altuve. 4 straight balls. That stinks. Leadoff walks are horrible.

145. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Apparently this Sheets guy can pitch. :) :) How useless are the Fillies?

146. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Bobby, Garza has looked like a #3 most of the season. Now he's hurt. Could be related.

147. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Maxwell is on deck smiling as he sees Gorzo coming in.

148. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Told you all. You know very little about Maxwell.

149. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Thanks for the article, djinFl. The Lerners weren't the greatest owners as the start, but they figured it out. Leave baseball to the baseball people and don't be cheap on the small stuff (or the large stuff). If you put a good product on the field the dollars will follow. We are in good shape. JMax triple. That is a strange park! OK, Gorzy, settle down.

150. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Gorzo or Suzuki or both are complete idiots.Throwing Maxwell a fast ball? Every scouting report on earth states he can't hit the curve.

151. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I still like JMax, even though he just did us some damage there. Headed for the bourbon now, though. michelleS, it's 4-3.

152. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Hate to say, on Davey. Why would you bring in a lefty on Maxwell?

153. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Gorzo is no pitcher. He can't even hold the low life Astros.Looking forward to a replacement for Gorzo — who belongs pitching for the Rockies or the Astros.

154. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Ok, what was I saying earlier about Gorzo doing well this year? Hope no one noticed.

155. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Did you notice the home plate umpire double-checking that Kurt Suzuki had caught that ball? I bet there's a lot of that going on these days.

156. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Gorzy aggravates me. He pitches three beautiful innings when it doesn't matter, but when it does—? Thank you, Mr. Suzuki. I like the way this guy works. He is probably wondering, "what is with these pitchers, they are ruining my caught-stealing percentage. I'm gonna fix that."

157. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM

NatsFanSinceStart, when are you going to tell us about the AAU team. Let me know as I will forward to Dr. Maxwell to corroborate. I find your story hard to believe.

158. Navy Nats Fan - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Ummmm…. have we talked about Kurt Suzuki's nail polish yet? When he caught that foul pop over the camera well railing, on the replay it sure looked like the nails on his throwing hand are painted gold.

159. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:30 AM

160. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:30 AM

@Navy Nats Fan: That's probably right. Some catchers use that bright nail polish to help the pitcher see his signs.

161. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:31 AM

162. Navy Nats Fan - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Wow. Never noticed that before. Makes sense!

163. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM

NatsFanSinceStart: Interesting. Because I knew Justin traveled MCBA for BCC and in-house at OBGC.

164. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Haha YOu forward anything and everything you want to Doctor Maxwell. And personally, I doubt literally anything and everything that comes out of your mouth.

165. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:35 AM

A lot of catchers wear nail polish, usually white or glowing silver.

166. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Hi, Navy. Long time no see. How ya been?

167. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Gonat is confusing travel with BCC with MCBA-AAU travel. Maybe he played a tournament or two with BCC, who knows. But the AAU year was very exciting. Wish you were there.

168. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM

On Suzuki's nails, those are stickers, not polish. FP talked about it, I think Saturday. There's a guy who makes them and markets them specially to catchers, FP said.

169. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM

170. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM

171. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM

ooooh, Sofa. Likin' the ZZZZZZ's.

172. Navy Nats Fan - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM

New job, very busy and lots of travel. But made both games this weekend and PitP. Ready for the home stretch of August and September!

173. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Yes, probably. Nevermind.

174. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM

LOL Kilgore:Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWPMickey Storey on for Houston. This is a baseball team, I think, and not a random name generator.

175. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Actually, I beleive very few, if any, catchers wear white nail polish. White tape has been used on fingers for better viewing by pitchers for decades.

176. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Gorzo is out — Good, Davey.

177. JaneB - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Do your best here, Mattheus!

178. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Thanks, NatsLady. It seemed to be the letter of the day.

179. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM

180. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Numerous beat writers tweeting that paid attendance tonight — 13,843 — is the lowest in Minute Maid Park history.

181. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:47 AM

The Nats don't need to say or do, nevermind announce publicly, any plans for re-signing people until after the season. Not a clown question, but way, way premature.

182. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:47 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said… Gonat — Montgomery County Patriots — AAU 14 and UComprised of all star 14 year olds from 10 different club select teams in Montgomery county, Md. Maxwell played for the Olney Select team in the MCBA (montgomery county baseball assoc.) League is still doing fine and well today. August 06, 2012 10:30 PM _______________________________MCBA is a great travel league. Not familiar with Montgomery County Patriots — AAU 14 and U. I have been an assistant coach off an on for a few years with the BCC Bombers and Cyclones and previously the Rockville Reds and also work with the travel teams on summer tournaments and camps. I am very familiar with the great program the Olney Pirates and Bucaneers have.What travel team did your son play for?

183. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:48 AM

13,843 — is the lowest in Minute Maid Park history. Geez, they might as well change the name back to Enron at this point. It can't hurt attendance any worse.

184. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Nice job, Ryan Mattheus!

185. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:52 AM

GONat: 1998 — sounds like a bit before your time. As stated, my son played for the Patriots who went to the final 16 down in Millington, Tenn. – home of the former Olympic Baseball Team! Maxwell was on that team. Great kid, great family —

186. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:52 AM

NatsLady, thanks for the link, although the writer is silly, IMO, suggesting it be banned.

187. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM

NatsLady, some place near Oakland makes those color stickers for catchers that go on the fingernails. I think that's what he uses.

188. ehay2k - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Mark Z., can you see if there is a way to create a negative or bipolar comments section here? It's tough to read "We will lose" followed by Go Nats! Every half inning. If there were only some special place the angst-ridden could vent and not affect the rest of us. Anyone think something is wrong with EJax? He was throwing so many off speed pitches, then that 3-0 fastball he threw in the 6th was only 88 mph. Just didn't look himself today. Means they might have to reconsider the plans to shut down SS. (Ducking, running, giggling!)

189. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Gonat, the article NatsLady posted the link to contains a link to that company's website.

190. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM

You gonna get some of that nail stuff and save on your manicures, Natslady?

191. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM

OK, bottom eighth, one-run game:It now OFFICIALLY is bourbon and Maalox time.Everything up to now was just practice.Burnett and Clipp, don't let it slip.

192. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I was driving home from Wolftrap tonight when the Gorzo inning happened. One day i expect NatsLady to take her walking stick and put him on the DL. NatsLady I will drive the getaway car for you. ;-)

193. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said… GONat: 1998 — sounds like a bit before your time. As stated, my son played for the Patriots who went to the final 16 down in Millington, Tenn. – home of the former Olympic Baseball Team! Maxwell was on that team. Great kid, great family –___________________It was before my time. I didn't move here permanently until 7 years ago.The Maxwell family has been great about working and giving back to BCC and youth baseball. I got to meet Justin many times. I think they live permanently still up in Frederick where his wife's family is from.

194. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:00 AM

ehay2k said… Mark Z., can you see if there is a way to create a negative or bipolar comments section here?I thought this WAS the negative or bipolar comments section?

195. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Ehay, there's a short list of people you can scroll past easily, if that bothers you. You wouldn't be the only one, as one can tell from the attendance here on in-game threads. But would that work, I wonder? I mean, if every post had, say, a smiley or frowney or other emoticon associated with it, the genuine trolls would always lie and post smileys, right? So you would know who to bring out the ban-hammer for. Nah. Still not worth it.

196. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Tying run on base, none out:Bartender, make mine a double bourbon and Maalox.

197. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Shouldn't be a 1 run lead now. This stinks.

198. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Oh, where's your spirit of adventure, Gonat?: )

199. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Don't throw Maxwell anything fat, Drew. Curves and sliders are his definitive weakness.

200. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Yah, Maxwell stinks. Here's what he has done vs. Lefty starters this year:.319/.425/.611/1.036

201. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:09 AM

WHAT KIND OF SWING WAS THAT????

202. waddu eye no - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:09 AM

ok drew. you asked for thisgyfng

203. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Can't hit the curve — period. Never could, never will.

204. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:11 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said…Anyone heard any talk at all about the Nats plans (or no plans) to re-sign LaRoche. I've heard nor read a thing about it.==========================There have been a couple of posts on the 'Other Nats Blogs' to which this site links; I don't recall exactly where/when. It's going to be a more complicated decision than many people anticipate, getting into questions about Michael Morse's future, plans for CF/leadoff, Tyler Moore's future, etc.

205. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Too bad Storen just doesnt have his good command. He'll get Pearce.

206. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Storen is throwing sliders literally 2 feet off the plate!!

207. Cameron - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Come on ump.

208. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Zection 3, My Zofa said… Oh, where's your spirit of adventure, Gonat?: ) August 06, 2012 11:05 PM __________________________________Davey didn't go double barrell and played these guys like chumps in the 6th.After Altuve walked and stole. He needed to go to the rightie then and not Gorzo or used a LOOGY appearance from MGonzalez for the lefty. The scouting report on Maxwell is clear. Don't have him face a LH reliever.This time Davey went with Storen. It didn't work but it was the right matchup this time.Should be a 4-1 or 4-2 game worst case at this point.

209. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Storen is struggling quite a bit.

210. Nattering Nat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:15 AM

OK gang, before the Nats fall behind, I gotta ask, has anyone noticed how while the Braves are easily putting way teams like the Marlins and Phillies and Astros, the Nats have to make two near-miraculous comebacks to beat the Brewers and Marlins and now, after having outhit the Astros something like 11 to 2 at one point, are struggling to stay ahead? Of course you've noticed. The question is–why? Still young, still learning, still not enough clutch hitters, all of the above?

211. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Uh, Drew. Can we get a strike tonight? No more room left on those bases, Storen.

212. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Come on Storen. Change your target when throwing that lousy slider 2 feet outside.

213. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Haha What goes on? Neither Storen nor Clippard throw fastballs anymore?

214. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Storen just lucked out. Holy shizzle.

215. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Oh yeah, baby. As FP said, "Just throw it down the middle and think 'lucky,' baby,"It worked.

216. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Had 'em all the way. Honestly, you guys must like being miserable. Don't worry, be happy.It's just a game.

217. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Storen very lucky here. This was almost a disaster.

218. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Davey can't get complacent tomorrow. Can't play them like chumps. Altuve and Maxwell going against a lefty seem to be the only ones you really have to worry about if you make your pitches.

219. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Drew will face Maxwell a few more times in this 4 game series.

220. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:21 AM

I think Storen was really, really pissed about that "strike" zone. McCatty talking to him at length in the dugout after the inning.

221. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Nattering Nat: In response to your question, I think the best answer to give would be this: That's Baseball.

222. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:22 AM

No such thing as style points…Drew and Sean put up 0 in the 8th somehow…

223. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:23 AM

224. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Nattering Nat–again, "small sample size" with maybe a touch of "confirmation bias."Ask the Braves about that, in the context of last September. It happens. It's baseball.

225. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:24 AM

GREAT Post at 11:19pm Sofa…I would hate to watch a game with some of the Legion of Doom…They go from Panic to Celebration on a pitch-by-pitch basis…Tough way to live…

226. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Eagle, you got that right. Results, man, results. Would be nice to get Clip a run or two here.

227. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Zection 3: Nah, Storen was mad that his sliders were 2 feet off the plate. It looked like the ump missed one strike.McCatty was giving him major grief about something, though. Maybe, 'grow up, a little'?

228. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Drew has no reason to complain about the strike zone in that inning. He wasn't hitting it. But he got the third out, and that's all that matters now.

229. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:25 AM

That, and spoiler teams tend to get up more against the first-place teams.

230. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Storen needed to throw Maxwell 1 high chase fastball after the 3rd or 4th slider, then go back to the slider if that didn't K him.

231. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I got a good feeling about this harper at bat.

232. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Boy, that place is EMPTY. An echo chamber.

233. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Harper nearly beat that out!

234. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:27 AM

All right, Clip. FOCUS. No fooling around.

235. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Here's an idea for the emoticons for half-empty and half-full.Glass half-full: |~|Glass half-empty: |~|OK?

236. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Lol..you really can hear the Echo..I dont want to say the attendance is low, but instead of a PA guy, they players just go in the stands and introduce themselves to the fans personally…"Hello, I'm Ryan, I'll be playing 3B"…

237. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Yes, NatsLady, we are at that point in the game where we can hear that leather-lunged guy behind home plate somewhere, word for word, during Harper's at-bat.

238. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I wonder if Clip will trust his fastball.

239. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:31 AM

haha I think Clippard needs some meds.

240. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Swift, I hear visiting teams bring a ball to the Astros, and ask if they can have the fans autograph it.

241. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Thank you Klip!!!

242. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Batter #1 Fastballs: 2 Off-Speed: 4

243. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Never try to guess w/Clippard…That's why he's so tough to hit…The only things we know for sure are: 1. Wild Delivery, 2. Major Intensity, and 3. Lots of Finger Licking…

244. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM

He made ZERO attempt to get out of the way of that!

245. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM

I hope Harrell isn't going to try to steal.

246. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Batter #2: changeup — He hits the batter.thus putting the tying run on first. He hit him with a freak'n changeup.Pitches: FB's – 2 Offspeeds: 5

247. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:35 AM

NatsLady, he scooted back a little. Not enough, but some.

248. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Batter #31 fastball3 changeupswalked on 4We have a closer who has lost faith in his FB

249. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Clippard is making life difficult for himself. Can't throw strikes.

250. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:38 AM

We have a major, major problem with Clip.His last 6 appearnces have been flaky, to say the least.He doesnt throw the FB because it might be gone.

251. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Jackson didn't deserve that.

252. Nattering Nat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Thanks for your answers. Perhaps true, but not satisfying. Some days, it just seems preordained. Not happy. If it were 6-1, happy. Not happy.

253. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:39 AM

I dont believe this.truly embarassing even if they win.

254. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:40 AM

OR…Clipp is following the Scouting Report given to him…All the Nats pitchers have used off-speed tonight,prob not a coincidence…A little surprised no Intentional Walk here…

255. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:40 AM

awful this terrible team????

256. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:41 AM

clipp hasnt gone 123 in about a month

257. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Thanks for your answers. Perhaps true, but not satisfying.Oh, you want satisfying? Sorry. This is the Church of Baseball. Satisfying is a long-term goal, several seasons at a time.

258. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Gonat and NatsFanSinceStart, Maxwell did play on the Maryland Patriots, which was an AAU team primarily put together by one of the heads of BCC Baseball. Though Max played with the Patriots, technically an independent AAU team primarily made up of MCBA players, he never actually played for BCC Baseball's MCBA team. One of the Patriots biggest accomplishments was winning the prestigious " Beast of the East" Tournament. I have never mentioned it here before, but my son also played on the Patriots, and BCC's MCBA team.

259. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:44 AM

I was about to post a "Fire McCatty NOW!!!" diatribe, but I figure I'll hold it.

260. waddu eye no - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:44 AM

exhaling

261. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Some serious "Football Fan Mentality" on here tonight…and of course, Doom and Gloom…How many games to the Nats have to win before some of you are expecting GOOD things to happen???

262. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:44 AM

OKAY!! Free Baseball!

263. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:44 AM

HAHA Sofa…AWESOME!!

264. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:44 AM

too little to late. Our bats have done nothing tonight also. Shouldn't be this hard. but it seems like it always is

265. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Ok, new game. Now, how about a few hits other than singles?

266. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Zofa, first of all, Nats offense only getting 4 runs off of these chumps stinks and that 6th inning handling up 4-0 wasn't handled well.Could be going back to the hotel winning 4-2 or 4-3 now.Just sayin'

267. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I dont know if its the pitchers adapting to Suzuki but they all look awkward and different when pitching to Suzuki.

268. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:47 AM

we play to the level of competition.

269. SonnyG10 - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I hate Clip in the closer's role. Too many change-ups. He gets by by trickery and the hitters just have to sit on a change-up because you're going to get one 98% of the time. Argggggg!!!

270. happy 2 pylon - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Secret wasian man said…clipp hasnt gone 123 in about a monthme neither. you?

271. Nats212 - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Im no doom and gloom, but why did clippard take so long to use his FB?

272. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:49 AM

In most stadiums you here echos like this after a 2 hour rain delay and the stadium empties out.

273. A DC Wonk - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Houston: 0-9 in extra innings this year

274. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:50 AM

275. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Nats212 said… Im no doom and gloom, but why did clippard take so long to use his FB? August 06, 2012 11:48 PM ________________________________________A good question that I'm sure will be asked by the reporters after the game..My guess is it's the Scouting Report on the Astros hittersBlown Saves happen to everyone, Clipp's good has far outweighed his bad. Way too soon to pull him from the role..

276. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Secret wasian man said… we play to the level of competition. August 06, 2012 11:47 PM ________________________________It happens. A "W" against a lousy team counts the same as a "W" against a great team.Shouldn't come down to this.

277. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I think the team came to this series thinking its gonna be a piece of cake. They look unprepared and lack energy.

278. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I thought the Astros bullpen was suppose to be terrible. We haven't come close to a hit against them. Our bullpen outside of Mattheus have all pitched terrible. I wish Clippard would pitch a lot more fast balls. they were all good, and his change up caused nothing but problems eexcept right after a fast ball. He never did figure that out.

279. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Secret wasian man said… wow! are guns are really crushing today. NOT Just lose already. Total dissapointment. August 06, 2012 11:50 PM ______________Help me out here, Do you want the Nats to win, or do you want them to lose?? Getting hard to tell…

280. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:53 AM

wow! are guns are really crushing today. NOT Just lose already. ==============================Anyone know what this means?

281. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:53 AM

STAMMEN???? goodnight everybody

282. mick - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:53 AM

I try to stay positive and have been pretty good the last few weeks. But blowing any lead to team that is so terrible with less than 20 people watching is not good. I am very down on Clip right now.

283. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Stammen limping on his way to the mound. I bet he's hurting.

284. A DC Wonk - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Secret wasian, what's with you? Just making stuff up? Why? What's the point? Just to annoy?Clippard went 123 for a ninth inning save 4 times in the last two weeks: July 24, 25, 28, and again just last Sunday, Aug 3

285. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:55 AM

This game has been very frustrating. We stranded way too many guys earlier.Now we really must buckle down and win this.

286. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Hang in there Mick…You've been doing so well…dont have a Josh Hamilton relapse on us now!!

287. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:55 AM

It is so empty there it sounds like a sound check 3 hours before game time.

288. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:56 AM

eugene. Its a sarcastic way of saying the 3-5 spots are not hitting the ball well. Sorry if you are confused.

289. Drew - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:56 AM

I just don't understand the pitch selection early in the counts.Be aggressive. Throw strikes. Get ahead. Then make the hitter expand the zone.

290. Nats212 - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:56 AM

swift, i don't think we should take him out of the closer role, I just don't get it. that change up to altuve was stupidy, he had just made a great change up down in the zone, the obvious thing was…go heater up!

291. mick - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:56 AM

remember Braves did lose one to Astros in Atlanta, so maybe I should not be that down

292. mick - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:57 AM

very nice Mr Stammen, now come on guys, lets get at least 1 in the 11th

293. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Eugene in Oregon said… wow! are guns are really crushing today. NOT Just lose already. ============================== Anyone know what this means? August 06, 2012 11:53 PM ________________________________________HAHA Eugene..Nobody knows…

294. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Come on Nats. Lets get some runs here and put this away.Shark is leading off!

295. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Swift, I always want NATS to win. Just a bit frustrated. Sorry.

296. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:59 AM

If this turns into one of those 17-inning games, two questions:– Which position player (currently on the field, obviously) ends up pitching an inning?– Which starting pitcher comes in to play outfield?

297. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:00 AM

I agree, Clipp's performance/pitch selection should be questioned…but some of the dopes on here are ready to throw him off the team…Clipp has been one of the best closers in the NL all season, and they all blow saves sometimes….

298. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:01 AM

LOL, Astros!!!!

299. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:01 AM

The Bad News Bears have arrived!….That Kelly Leak is a Bad Mutha….

300. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:02 AM

If you're scoring at home….Just write "Astros Stink"

301. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Wow that's a bad team. Astros completely lost it. Like a circus.

302. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:02 AM

WOW! I haven't seen that before.Horrible defense by Houston.

303. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Good planning; just like the manager drew it up.

304. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Imagine what the Legion of Doom on the Astros Blog must be like…

305. Drew - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Clown play, bro.

306. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:06 AM

The lombo and tracy at-bats were almost as bad as the Astros play.

307. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Eugene, I think LaRoche would pitch and Stras in the OF since he wont pitch in the series…Just a guess though…What do you think?

308. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Suzuki ending up on third from a ten foot popup bunt is just too funny!

309. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:09 AM

I've seen a lot of unearned runs, especially by Nats opponents in 2008 and 2009, but never one that was more unearned than that one…

310. happy 2 pylon - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Swift Eagle said…If you're scoring at home….Just write "Astros Stink"if i was scoring at home, i wouldnt be watching the game. or reading thislets win this and laugh about it tomorrow.

311. mick - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:11 AM

funniest play I have seen in 30 years, hands down, lol. wat makes it really funy was watching the 3rd baseman, what was he doing

312. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Swift Eagle: Definitely Mr. Strasburg to the OF, both for his bat and because he just pitched yesterday.Mr. LaRoche is out of the game, so he can't pitch. Maybe Bryce Harper? Don't know if anyone else has any experience, but it can't really be any of the infielders, as there's no one to take their positions.

313. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM

The Astros tried to give us a second run, but we had 3 batters (the first two who refused to accept it).When a man is on third no out, you do not wing at the first pitch unless you can elevate it to the outfield. Not only did Lombo chip the first pitch into the group Tracy did too. Any pitch you chopped into the group cannot be elevated so you had no business swing at it. That to me is poor hitting and not thinking at all.Espinosa did his usual thing swung hard and this time made no contact on strike 3.

314. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:14 AM

You're right Eugene, it would have to be an OF…Besides, didn't ALR have the bad shoulder last year? No need to chance it…Hoping we don't find out

315. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:17 AM

When you're coaching defense v. a bunt…"Florida" means the 1B charges and "Toronto" means the 3B charges…And when 3 guys collide in the infield, it's now called "Houston"

316. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Two down!

317. Nats212 - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Great joke swift!!

318. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Good one, Swift!

319. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Where's (Good) Henry when we need him?

320. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:22 AM

does the bullpen have 3 months left in them?

321. Drew - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:22 AM

For God's sake. You are up 0-2 and you walk the winning run to the plate.T.F.S.!!!!!

322. kgwcoach - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Hohum Just another 1 run win. How boring!

323. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:23 AM

23 over.500!

324. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM

I'll repeat my post from 11:22pmNo Such Thing As Style Points…A Curly W is in the books…

325. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Oh my…..are you kidding me. Kardiac Kids and Keystone Kops.

326. SonnyG10 - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Shouldn't have been that hard, but I'll take it.GYFNG!!!

327. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Take the win and get some sleep, but too bad Edwin Jackson didn't get a W.

328. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:25 AM

An ungly win is better than a pretty lost. Where is my Malaax?

329. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Tried as hard as we could to give this one to the LAstros, but they just wouldn't take it! Whew.

330. Gonat - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Another 1 run win!

331. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:27 AM

I hate to admit it, but the Legion of Doom made some good points tonight… Some questions need to be asked to the bullpen guys about the pitch selection…A lot of nibbling and off-speed stuff against a really bad team…

332. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:28 AM

I am not throwing Clip under the bus. He has been reasonably reliable less os lately.However you cannot throw a change up until you throw some fast ball.s His fast ball was his best pitch tonight, and he was afreaid to use it for some reason.

333. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Post of the day goes to Drew for:"Clown play, bro."

334. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:31 AM

"WOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011)Extra inning win on Tuesday!

335. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:32 AM

336. mick - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Lombo and Tracy's at bats concern me with zero out sanda runner at third.also, I told some of you that we would always see the Shark late in the game. He had a big hit, great base running and a great play in the field. this is a great role for the shark

337. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Good points Mick…Especially Tracy. His role is to be the veteran bat off the bench who provides a quality AB late in close games…It is THE reason Davey has him on the team…

338. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:36 AM

OK, can't shut Stras down after this, right?????(Kidding).

339. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:40 AM

If the Barfs didn't get Kardiac arrest watching this one—!!!! We need the TV cameras in their clubhouse to see some Major League cussing. Never mind Ozzie, you wanna hear some serious cussing—???

340. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Haha Nats Lady…and Corey Brown would have caught the JMax triple, and Rendon would have hit 4 HRs, and obviously….Fire Eck!

341. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:43 AM

That was one wacky game. I switched over to watch some Olympics so was behind on the DVR and had to bow out of watching the comments here or following Twitter. Pretty tough to do, but I'm glad I did it because to fully enjoy that game winning run, you had to be surprised by it. It was like little league out there, so totally bizarre I still can't quite believe it happened. I will take this crazy win and hope the guys take it as a sign that nothing is going to be easy, even against the lowly Astros.

342. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:43 AM

I really thought I could just ignore it and go to sleep. Not. I will pay for this tomorrow. I believe someone posted earlier that this team was basically a AAA team. O really? Maybe they will get a little more up tomorrow. Wake up call? But then again, they had lots of hits, pitchers only gave up four in 11. Great July, awkward August so far. Hate seeing our pitchers have to struggle with a new catcher from waaay outside the organization , division and league.

343. The Fox - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Hey look whose tied for the best record in baseball?How can this team be that bad and have the best record ;-).Hope sawami is all right I know how these game get to him.Did I mention I hate Houston.

344. Drew - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Thanks, Sunshine. Just win, baby.Since July 5 the Braves are 22-7 and the Nats are 19-11.Both of these dandy teams must be frustrated that they can't run away with this thing.Think of what's at stake. One of these clubs will line up its pitchers for a playoff series. The other will put a great season on the line in a one-game playoff.Gotta get that division title.

345. djinFl. - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Do not forget that the Astros play right at .500in thier park. So if they battle us to some one run game, that is fine as long as we are the team with one more.

346. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Davey just said that the small ballpark was the reason for all the off-speed stuff tonightPitchers get intimidated by the short porches…They'll adjustAt least that explains it

347. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:51 AM

And many thanks to Craig Stammen. He has five wins as a reliever. Those late wins.

348. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:54 AM

We had 14 hits, 8 more than them, they had 3 errors,and we out scored them by one run? Surreal!===================Yes, but the Nats' 14 hits were all singles. Astros had 12 total bases, given a double, triple, and HR (plus five singles).

349. Swift Eagle - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Tuesday's Atl v Phi starting pitchers are Minor v. Hamels….Colebert has to win that match up doesn't he?

350. The Fox - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Eugene,That's why batting avg. is an overrated statistic. Drew,Can the Braves continue to win at at 75% clip?If they do I tip my hat to them. The Nat's are playing at a 63% clip which is at least close to their record.

351. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Colbert is pitching tomorrow for the Fils. OK. Pitch good, man. Hate you and your team, but. Pitch good tomorrow.

352. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:01 AM

14 hits. Pitchers only gave up 4 in 11. Really should not have felt so ugly. The guys didn't even look happy at the end.

353. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Fox,Exactly. And I've got to believe that the Nats — who are solidly in the upper half of the NL in doubles, HRs, and SLG% — will do better in the rest of this series.Concur on the winning-percentage point; the Braves' recent hot streak is not sustainable through September.

354. The Fox - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:07 AM

One last thing before bed. Was the official scorer Suzuki mother? That had to be a FC. FP saw it, Bernie was dead at second if someone threw it there instead of down the first base line. I guess the official scorer did not want to tack on another error. I don't think I've seen anything like that even from the Nat's in the lean years.

355. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Just for the record Nats Lady complained "he didn't try and get out of the way/" That was the hut by pitch in the 9th by Clippard. According to the rule book you do not have to get out of the way. it only sayd you cannot ,ove to get in the way. Says nothing about moving to get out of the way. One of those myths we always hear about.That is why I always complain when a hitter having trouble gets out of a breaking balls way. Just stand there and get hit.

356. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:23 AM

And the Barves keep on winning. But at least they don't go to bed happy after they check the Nats score.There is some seriously strange mojo going on lately. Those chicken sacrificer people might want to get going again. I know on paper it looks fine when you see four out of five, but if you are watching, then you know that's it's been quite an adventure. And against losing teams, too. Late night – wide awake and Arizona and SanFransisco in our future. ugh. Go Nats!!

357. #4 - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Catching up from the west coast. 1. When the game was over, we had one more than they did. That's what matters.2. In 1983, the Tigers and the Orioles were locked in a similar pennant race. The Tigers went 22-10 over their last 32 games. It should have been good enough, right? Wrong. The O's went 29-3. As a former Tigers fan, it still hurts.3. Zim moved to 3rd at UVa because of Mark Reynolds, not the other way around.4. Calling the Astros a AAA team is an insult to every guy on their roster. They are in the big leagues. Treat them with respect. If you put the Astros in the International League, they win the pennant going away. They are not a great team, but don't say ridiculous things about them.5. Rendon won't find the AFL much of a challenge? Are kidding me? The AFL has the best prospects in MLB. He won't even be among the best five players on his own team. The idea that a guy takes 100 minor league ABs and is ready to dominate the AFL is ludicrous.That is all.

358. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:37 AM

According to the rule book you do not have to get out of the way. it only says you cannot move to get in the way. Says nothing about moving to get out of the way. Right. Remember that walk off HBP by Gomes against the Phillies last year? He stood there and let the ball hit him in the arm and then gave a look at Lidge like "you stupid idiot." Classic.

359. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Official rulePer baseball official rule 6.08(b), a batter becomes a baserunner and is awarded first base when he or his equipment (except for his bat): is touched by a pitched ball outside of the strike zone, and he attempts to avoid it (or had no opportunity to avoid it), and he did not swing at the pitch.[1]If all these conditions are met, the ball is dead, and other baserunners advance if they are forced to vacate their base by the batter taking first. Rule 5.09(a) further clarifies that a hit by pitch is also called when a pitch touches a batter's clothing.[2]In the case where a batter swings and the pitch hits him anyway, the ball is dead and a strike is called.[3] If the batter does not attempt to avoid the pitch, he is not awarded first base, and the pitch is ruled either a strike if in the strike zone or a ball if out of the strike zone. In practice, umpires rarely make this call.