Aug 6, 2012, 6:28 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Cesar Izturis is a career .255 hitter in 12 major-league seasons.
Updated at 2:48 p.m.
Needing some infield insurance while Ian Desmond returns from an oblique tear and Mark DeRosa battles an abdominal strain, the Nationals have acquired veteran Cesar Izturis from the Brewers in a waiver claim.
Izturis, 32, has played 12 big-league seasons with the Blue Jays, Dodgers, Cubs, Pirates, Cardinals, Orioles and Brewers. He was hitting .235 with two homers and 11 RBI in 57 games with Milwaukee this season.
Itzuris' acquisition was a straight waiver claim, not a trade, so the Nationals aren't giving up any players for him. They'll only be responsible for the remainder of his $850,000 salary this season.
General manager Mike Rizzo had hoped to get through Desmond's stint on the disabled list with Danny Espinosa and Steve Lombardozzi starting at shortstop and second base, respectively, and DeRosaRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Around the NL East: Mets being cautious with Harvey