Game 110: Nats at Astros

Aug 7, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Ross Detwiler starts tonight's game at Minute Maid Park.

It got lost amid the chaos of the final innings of last night's victory, but Jayson Werth departed early after complaining of tired legs. It's a concern he's had all along as he returns from a broken wrist, and on Sunday he noted that "my legs are still a little behind, but everything else feels good." Well, apparently the issue is significant enough that Werth isn't starting tonight's game in Houston. Roger Bernadina will now start in center field, with Bryce Harper in right field.

Meanwhile, Cesar Izturis will be in uniform and available to make his Nationals debut, one day after the veteran infielder was claimed off waivers from the Brewers. He'll come off the bench, as will Kurt Suzuki, who after catching all 11 innings last night is replaced by Jesus Flores for this game.

Ross Detwiler gets the nod, looking to build off one of the best starts of his career when he tossed seven scoreless innings against the Phillies. Right-hander Jordan Lyles starts for the Astros, who have now lost 31 of their last 35 games.

As you know, I'm not in Houston for this series. Please enjoy the conversation as always…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at HOUSTON ASTROS
Where: Minute Maid Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
Weather: Partly cloudy, 90 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to CF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I bet the Astros lineup will remind me alot of the 2009 Nats

2. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Thanks to upperdeck4 and Faraz for zeroing in on the date and video of that Jesus Colume/Anderson Hernandez/Ryan Zimmerman three stooges play in 2009. That's the one that was immortalized by Carp's call, in disbelief: "Anderson Hernandez… never saw the ball!" FJB used that audio in the theme music for his podcast, which is why I remember it so clearly.Ah, those were the days.

3. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM

4. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Anderson Hernandez — A measure of how the lowly have risen.

5. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM

GYFNG! I think Det has a really good game!

6. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Can you imagine what this blog would be like if we had lost 31 of our last 35? If I were really cool, I'd embed a link to the sound of {crickets]Anderson Hernandez – Manny Acta really liked that guy. He played 22 games for Cleveland in 2010. Remember when he made an error at 2B in a shift and Manny blamed it on the cut of the outfield grass?

7. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Reposting from the end of the last thread:Faraz: Thanks, er, sorta, for sharing that recap (can't really call them 'highlights'). Seems to have been one ugly game; much more than just the Zimmerman-Colome-Hernandez miscue. I was overseas at the time and lucky enough not to be there in person (or even watching on MLB.tv).On the question of starters going deep, relievers being overextended, etc: Every team is wearing down after 100-and-something games. Starters are tired, relievers are tired, positions players are tired; it's a grind. Every August you begin to see more high-scoring games, more bullpen meltdowns, more blown leads. But, to paraphrase someone above, the key to success is winning more games than you lose in which you make mistakes (bad pitches, errors, mental lapses). Sure, I'd love to see the Nats playing flawless baseball, but I'm happy enough with a 5-2 record so far in August. Enjoy the ride, even if some of what you see along the way isn't beautiful.

8. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Uh-oh. Angel Hernandez is slowing rotating towards home plate. Sorry Gio.

9. Doc - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:25 PM

10. SonnyG10 - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Eugene, good point on everyone being tired in August. I'll try to keep that in perspective when the Nats screw up again. Just so we win!!! GYFNG!!!

11. Section 222 - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM

More surprising things from that 2009 video (someone mentioned Adam Dunn sliding): Nick Johnson healthy and playing in the game.Elijah Dukes hitting a double.Brad Lidge getting a save. Adam Dunn playing right field.

12. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Adam Dunn in right field= scary memories. Not as bad as Willie Mo Pena, but pretty scary.For some reason I'm feeling pretty good about tonight. After reading today's thread I can't imagine how freaked out everybody would be if the Keystone Kops hadn't shown up to save us last night. You'd think that we were 3 games back. It's all good, folks.It will be an exhausting stretch run that we will ultimately end up winning, while the Braves will end up whining. Why do I feel so confident? Because the fact is, we have a better manager then they do. Our guy Davey is even better then us bloggers on Nats Insider. You'll see!

13. JD - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Doc,If you watched the game last night you'd agree that Suzuki had a very strong game. Throwing runners out is just a small part of catching and is more on the pitchers than on the catchers.

14. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

After a day of reflection, I am grateful that the Nats have enough ability to ultimately win a game in which they play sloppy baseball. They have had a few lately – the crazy one in Milwaukee, Saturday night, last night. Ended up winning – different heroes each time. Even though the pitchers were an adventure, they only gave up 4 runs in 11 innings. Even though we only scored 5 in 11 innings, we singled them to death. Maybe the defense was tired and rattled from that. I hope tonight is cleaner and shorter but with the same result. These young Astros are not going to lie down on the field and let the Nats take the game. They want redemption today.Fine with Bernie in the field tonight.

15. Joe Seamhead - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

After watching Suzuki the past couple of days it really makes the debuts of Solano and Leon even more impressive. I have no doubt that Kurt is a good catcher and will look better after working with each guy a couple of times. He sure got a variety of samples last night.

16. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I have to say it here. I have a Trout vs Harper overdose and to an extent a trout or harper overdose. Everyday it seems like someone in media writes about it. Can we just let the guys play. Will there be someone in 15 years say: See, I told you that Harper/Trout was the best player.

17. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

How about this one?http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=2993081&c_id=mlbI don't remember the game but came across while searching for 2008 Nats highlights.

18. sjm308 - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Important to me is the depth that is starting to show for our lads. We move Bernadina & Flores into starting roles and guess what? They both have been there quite a bit in the last month. When they signed Suziki I mentioned that I thought this would help Flores as he will perform better in the backup role. Bernadina has been solid for over a month and made several key plays yesterday.I realize the bullpen is stretched just a bit but Clip should be fine to close and hopefully will not be needed in that role tonight. Burnett is also fairly rested. To be honest, at this point in the season there is not a team in contention with a rested pen. We have a bunch of games still on this road trip and the reality is, someone is going to have to bite the bullet – not sure if it will be a starter or reliever.Go Nats!!

19. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Good to see Roger "Did I just run a red light?" Bernadina back in the lineup?

20. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM

21. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM

It's pretty sad when the Astros' most fearsome hitters are Justin Maxwell and Eddie Gaedel. It's a night for Detwiler to let the umpire roll off his back and concentrate on the guy in the batter's box.

22. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Probably good that Flo is catching Det tonight. Knows his moods better.

23. djinFl. - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

It's also a night to throw some fastballs. Bad game plan last night. I do not want to see Det trying to hit the corners with breaking balls.

24. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Houston's new callup Barnes is in CF.

25. natsfan1a - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Here ya go. :-)Section 222 said… Can you imagine what this blog would be like if we had lost 31 of our last 35? If I were really cool, I'd embed a link to the sound of {crickets]

26. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Theo: Regarding Eddie Gaedel (the real one, not Jose Altuve — but that's a comparison that I also thought of last night): Last season the Eugene Emeralds (short-season A affiliate of the Padres) featured Kyle Gaedele, Eddie's great grand nephew. Eddie, of course, was 3' 7" or so. Kyle is 6' 3" and weighs 220 or more. Kyle's last name retains the final 'e' that Eddie dropped. Kyle didn't have a great season with the Ems, but this season he's apparently hitting .250 and slugging .407 in Ft. Wayne (Padres' full season A).

27. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Mr. Oregon, thanks for that interesting bit of trivia.

28. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Did some research . . .. Nats relief pitchers rank #2, #10 and #11 in IP among NL relievers; plus Burnett and Mattheus have more than 40 innings each. Four pitchers on a pace to appear in more than 60 games, with Clippard pushing at 75+. Compare Storen last year at 52. By October 3, these guys are gonna be exhausted. I don't care that "everybody else's pitchers are tired." I care about ours.

29. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:26 PM

phillies in front 3-0 against atlanta in bottom first.

30. natsfan1a - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Really? There's already a rude nickname for the guy? Welcome to DC.Doc said… I hope that JFlo gets 10 hits, and throws out 5 baserunners!! Actually, I'd settle for 1 hit, and 1 baserunner! If he throws out 1 baserunner, that would be an improvement on KSuk's 0 fer' 6 the last 2 games! August 07, 2012 5:25 PM

31. natsfan1a - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:34 PM

32. natsfan1a - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Faraz, that particular games isn't burned into my synapses but I do remember some not-so-happy Bergmann games generally (and some good ones). Seemed like a very nice guy.On a game note: Go, Det! Go, NATS!!

33. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Yes. I thought it was more a reflection of the posters lack of class, 1a

34. natsfan1a - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Okay then. :-)

35. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I Prefer this nickname:Kurt Klutch I think it goes well with our Kardiac Kids

36. Secret wasian man - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I'm listening to braves Phillies on xm radionics. Philly broadcaster says, did you hear that fool in Washington FTP santangelo talk about phillies should take back park…… Then he start putting down our park and fans….. Haha screw philthy.

37. Steady Eddie - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Theo, you can't just project Clop's appearances out to thecendvof the year. He's been taking a lot of what would have been HRod's appearances and much of the point of Druuuu's return is to take the pressure off Clip.

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Secret, amazing that other broadcasters would diss another team's broadcaster.

39. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Secret/Ghost.. just remember we are talking about Philly phans. Nothing should suprise us. Let's keep ourselves above the fray and not sink that low. I for one am rooting for the phillies not to lose tonight.

40. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

No updates again tonight.

41. A DC Wonk - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Seamhead at 6:14 – good points re: Leon and Solano

42. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:19 AM

OOOFFFF that was a hanger and a banger. Sigh.

43. ehay2k - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Upper deck for Espi!

44. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

top of 6 phils up 3-0

45. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

and another Hanger and a banger.. this time for the good guys! Way to go Danny -nice upper deck bomb. 2-2 in the 2nd.And does anyone else here that fan screaming? WOW, it's like they are sitting next to me. To bad I can't report them to the Nats and have them removed from the game

46. ehay2k - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Thank goodness the ballpark is empty – that might have hurt someone!

47. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

so each pitcher gives up a walk and a crush job. Espinosa makes it 2-2 in the second.

48. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM

new ball game

49. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM

cole hammels is pitching great

50. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM

at beach, watching phils… no nats down here, you all are my eyes, lol and nats baseball site

51. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:37 AM

hammels pitching a 2 hitter

52. ehay2k - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Can't decide whether to buy Miracle Hair or Genie Bra. Gaaah! These commercials are killing me.

53. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

looks like Ross has shaken his whinyness and manned up. Now lets score by putting up s crooked number.

54. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Another zebra w/ cataracts. If Angel Hernandez is crew chief, what does that say about his subordinates?

55. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Whenever I start feeling a little let down with Nats Park, I think about this place. We could have gotten MUCH worse. Wow, it's no wonder nobody shows up.

56. Tim - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:04 AM

It's probably been mentioned but I have some great memories of Minute Maid Park: 1) Michael Morse hitting the glass above left field with a bomb last year (it was Minute Maid, wasn't it?) and 2) Nook Logan making an unbelieveable catch on Tal's Hill in CF, falling down and coming up with the ball?

57. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM

@Zection: That was my rant last night. This place looks like it was designed by Salvador Dali with an assist from Lionel Toy Trains. Just goofy. Not just goofy, but Texas-sized goofy. The hill. The cheapo homers. The "Crawford" boxes. Gimme a break.

58. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Tim, I think Morse almost hit the train with that. And Nook did lay out straight away from home for a great catch; always good for style points, that Nook.

59. JaneB - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Jesuuuuuuus! Nice double!

60. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Sunshine, I don't mind quirky if it's purposeful, but this stuff is just messing with the game, for the sake of messing with it. Fenway has the Green Monster for a reason. The bullpen mounds are in play at Wrigley for a reason. Even the hill at old Crosley was just kind of a local color thing. Arizona, The Park Formerly Known As The BOB, is like that a little, with that wierd home run line, but that's just one thing, whereas this park is the kitchen sink of wierd. If they had put a swimming pool in the field of play, I wouldn't be stunned. I mean, I would, but it would fit right in here.

61. joemktg - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM

That screaming maniac in the background: hysterical. He echoes! Another two innings and they stop serving.

62. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Another two innings and they stop serving. Which reminds me. Don't mind if I do.

63. Tim - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Where's the rally kid? Or maybe show the rally baby again? Rally screamer?

64. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM

And they Phillies didn't lose. Hmm come on boys, time make some hay.

65. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM

The ump owes RZ after that last not being hit by a pitch

66. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Are there legends about a Bigfoot in Texas? It sorta sounds like one.

67. ExposedinDC - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM

It's like watching a game from a ward at a mental institution,got to be different for the boys after this past weekends crowds at Nats park.

68. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Det and this kid are actually both pitching gems. And it's not easy in this ballpark – "the kitchen sink of weird," I really like that, Zection 3.

69. phil dunton - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM

The Nationals should not be having such a difficult time beating the Astros. The Astros, at best, are a Triple A team.

70. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Sadly, the Kitchen Sink of Weird is probably why they are tougher at home. All the fly balls that die out in the gaps and in CF. And as FP just said – a floating strike zone doesn't help.Someone has to shut that drunk guy up.

71. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Should should should. The baseball gods don't give a damn 'bout "should."

72. A DC Wonk - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM

A negative comment from Phil, what a surprise. Phil, explain to me how the Braves lost to the Astros last weekend.

73. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Michele, if you're an usher there, do you really hush the only people there rooting for the home team? They're harmless if you're not right next to them.

74. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Maybe I'm jealous, because I can't WooooHoooo like they do. I can get loud, but I don't have that high register. Maybe "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-HAAA!" just doesn't work in DC.

75. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

76. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM

MicheleS said… Zection, been watching twitter.. apparantly he is annoying the local fans so much that they sent a tweet out with the information to report him to the Astros.He's the Robin Ficker of Houston!

77. Mr. Doggett - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Who was it that asked for a more boring game? So far, you're getting what you asked for. I'm not trying to be another el negativo…just pointing out that we were the victims of a jinx.

78. phil dunton - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

DC Wonk. The Phils aren't a Triple A team–they are an over the hill major league team. There is a big diffrerence. The Astros have Justin Maxwell batting cleanup. That is all you need to know about the Astros.

79. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Win, lose or draw, big batch of chocolate chip cookies (with Craisins!) for Det. Still throwing 94 in the seventh. For a fifth starter, PFB!

80. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Phil, you're still missing the point like it's a curveball a foot outside and in the dirt that you thought was a fastball.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Time for the Nats batters to get it going!

82. Santangelo for President 2012 - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Great game by Det. Talk about really stepping up this year.

83. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Michele, that's funny!

84. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM

85. Mr. Doggett - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

86. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Someone asked for that??

87. Mr. Doggett - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Zection 3, My Zofa said…Someone asked for that??August 07, 2012 10:06 PMYeah, it was on another thread I think. I'm too lazy to go looking for it now. Either way, there's still time for plenty of fireworks. And a curly W is all that matters anyway.

88. Constant Reader - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Sorry to interrupt the game thread for a quick comment from vacation. I was wearing my Nats hat and Strasburg t-shirt today on the top of Rendezvous Mountain at Jackson Hole and had six folks stop me to mention they were from our area and Nats fans. Crazy cool.Back to constantly reading your updates.

89. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Ah, I think I remember that. Probably Swami. But not actually during this game. Which seems, kinda, yanno, impossible. But you are exactly correct: Be careful what you wish for.

90. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Jackson Hole, Wyoming? Cool!! Way to represent, Constant.

91. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Wow, Bryce was convicted there. He was swinging at whatever came near.

92. SCNatsFan - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM

C'mon, we are struggling with a AAA team

93. fresh2death1997 - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I think Harper needs a break. He's really jabbing at too much breaking balls. Maybe put in Moore when he needs a break.

94. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:18 AM

So we've got Sunshine Bobby Carpenter and Santangelo for President. We don't have any Charlie & Dave, though. Seems like we should.

95. Tim - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Who's gonna be the hero tonight?

96. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Is anybody else distracted during the sideline shots of right-handed hitters, from the first base side camera?

97. fresh2death1997 - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM

OMG come on Nats. come on.

98. Tim - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Nice job Gonzales

99. djinFl. - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Wang tonight:4.2 innings, 7 hits. 7 runs. 6 earned, 2bb4so93 pitches 62 strike

100. Exposremains - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM

That Astros have some amazing pitchers. This is really a pitcher's park.

101. rogieshan - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM

These last two games should provide Davey Johnson a strong reason to give his regulars a day off against weaker opposition.

102. Section 222 - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM

ALR the magician. Sweet.

103. A DC Wonk - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Phil, you didn't read my message. Let me repeat: Houston beat Atlanta a few days ago. This has nothing to do with the Phils, Phil.

104. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM

By the way, the Nats have a half-price ticket deal going on TravelZoo.

105. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM

just back from boardwalk, have been falling game on my cell, why cant we hit!!!

106. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Rally Napkin Engaged!

107. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM

only 3 hits tonight? for real against a team that has lost over 70 games… oh well and least Phils lost

108. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM

I heard Lombo, Harper and Zom all struck out consecutively in the 8th?

109. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Zim

110. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:03 AM

sounds like Det pitched great, am i right

111. rogieshan - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:05 AM

The Nats offensively now lead the league in team strikeouts, just ahead of the Astros, 908 to 904.

112. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:07 AM

may be Lombo's worst game of the season, but that s OK, other batters should be picking him up verse the worst team in the MLBat least Phils lost

113. rogieshan - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Hopefully, Morse will get another chance to extend his hitting streak.

114. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Bad Gorzo?

115. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Gorzo… please just once do not give up a run like you have the last 6 appearances

116. Exposremains - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM

walks the 1st batter

117. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM

djinfl, thanks for info on CMW. Disappointing. Oh, Gorzy. Walks the leadoff? Please, Gorzy, don't be Gorzy…

118. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:13 AM

In fairness to Gorzo.. Nats should be scoring a lot more than 2 runs verse baseballs worse team

119. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:16 AM

yes!!! come on lets get this!

120. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Yes, mick, Det pitched great. After first inning, he gave them nada–a couple of hits and a walk. Unfortunately, their guy was good, too. You have to figure, they are a lot of call-ups and guys who don't have much to get "up" for except beating a first place team. Especially after being the joke of MLB, they are probably determined to show they can play.

121. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Rally Napkins!

122. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Thanks nats lady

123. djinFl. - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Time for another shot?

124. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:23 AM

what is going on tonight. If this were the Reds, Pirates, Braves, one could deal with this. but our 1 -4 hitters are a combined 0-12?

125. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:23 AM

djinFl–same thought. They are pitching him outside again.

126. Joe Seamhead - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Ok, I'm feeling a little low on the confidence level tonight. What's up with our offence? Det pitched a helluva game. Where are the hits and runs?

127. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:26 AM

if we can hold here, I think we will get a run in 11th, but with Maxwell up and Gorzo's history, I think we will be fortunate to be 3 up after tonight. I just hope the boys re-group and get more than 5 hits verse one of the worst teams ever in the MLB very frustrating game

128. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:27 AM

You're playing Fantasy Baseball again. Averages don't matter on any given pitch, or game.

129. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Joe… my feelings too

130. rogieshan - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Actually, our 1-6 hitters are combined 0-25. I guess the Nats are feeling these must be the dog days of August.

131. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Zofa true… but we are talking a pennant race here verse an awful team, this is not a game in April or May

132. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:29 AM

rogie… but fortuntaly phils helped us tonight

133. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:31 AM

do you walk Maxwell?

134. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Gorzy pitching well, and Davey brings in Storen for 3rd day in a row? I hope this works. And it does. Can we please, please, please, get some runs????

135. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Ok boys… prove me right… get the winning run in 12th and lets go 4 up on Braves!

136. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:34 AM

this is killing me, no TV or radio lol

137. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:36 AM

mick, you can get mlb.tv on your phone for $50.

138. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Nats lady,thanks, my wife would kill me, lol

139. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:41 AM

I wonder why Davey didn't squeeze. Guess he figured they were expecting it.

140. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Did I mention I heart Danny Espinosa. Yes, I did. Now, Clipp has to do his job.

141. djinFl. - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Dany's turn for game hero

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Lovin' it!

143. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:44 AM

My theory was right… now can we close this baby?

144. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:45 AM

NatsLady, Davey wasn't lax tonight. Pulled Gorzo and made sure Storen was warm for Maxwell.Matchups.

145. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:47 AM

I'll take a few more runs, lol

146. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Got it, Ghost. OK, Clip. No drama, just do it.

147. rogieshan - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Why aren't the runners trying to steal in this game? Fear of injury?

148. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM

am i right that astros are sending up 7, 8 and a pH?

149. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:56 AM

how bout a dp to end this

150. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Martinez has 11HR

151. Swift Eagle - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Like to see Tyler mix in a breaking ball at some point…Great Block by FLores saves him there

152. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:00 AM

one more Tyler, one more

153. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:04 AM

how about Brunett here?

154. mick - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Burnett

155. Swift Eagle - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Berni saves the DAY!!!!Tyler with another looong save..I miss those quick saves he used to have…but who cares? Curly W #67 and a 4 game lead…largest division lead in the NL24 big games above .500 and Yes, the best record in MLB…

156. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Bernadina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

157. djinFl. - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Bernie!

158. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Yah, that's right Bernadina stinks. The bench stinks.How's about 1st place and best record in all of baseball!

159. Drew - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Sharkafreakindina!

160. RickH - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:08 AM

BERNIE!!!!!!!!!

161. JaneB - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:08 AM

ROGER!!!!!!! Sharkadina rules!!!! Beyond awesome catch!

162. ehay2k - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Finding ways to win, and winning g series, is a good way to be.

163. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:09 AM

SHARKADINA!!!!!The win goes to Storen.The save goes to the Shark.

164. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM

"WOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).Four-game lead on Aug. 8th!

165. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Flores dropped that foul tip on the batter before Wallace. Was glad Bernadina just picked Flores and Clippard up.

166. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Saw a little girl in Orlando International Airport about 4 hours ago with a Sea World shark fin on her head…had to be a sign!!! That…was…awesome!!!

167. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Was that Stammen jumping up and down in the bullpen?

168. rogieshan - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Has Clippard had an easy save since the all-star break?

169. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Wallace thought he had the walkoff and he was bit by a SHARK!

170. Timothy Folk - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:12 AM

It's offical.. idc if he's a Nat or not next year Im getting a #2 jersey.. closet thing to a black looking everyday player on the squad till Goodwin gets here

171. sjm308 - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Wow!!I never post during the game but what a catch!Not sure there is another stadium that allows that ball to be caught but what a catch!!This team just won't give up. Love the hugs in the dugout and Stammen jumping up and down after the catch.Go Nats! see you guys in the morning

172. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:12 AM

@Gonat: Had to be Stammen. He was the only one left.

173. Swift Eagle - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:13 AM

174. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Gonat, Ray Knight said that was Stammen jumping up and down behind Bernie.

175. Timothy Folk - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:14 AM

The Redskins are really pissing me off.. a 6 or 7 win team still getting more pub then this club.. Thursday's preseaon game will dwarf the nats on thursday

176. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Kardiac Kids do it again!

177. Section 222 - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM

That was freaking unbelievable. It's this kind of win that makes you think that maybe we're the team of destiny this year. Wow!Clipp owes the Shark a steak dinner …. make that a new car.

178. djinFl. - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM

179. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Swift Eagle said… Watched it in Slo-Mo, I counted 14 strides and a leap…How far is that?? And Hey Stat-Geeks, if that play doesn't improve Berni's WAR, then throw out the Stat, b/c that catch actually did Win the game for the Nats… August 08, 2012 12:13 AM ______________________________No doubt. Between last night and tonight. 2 wins for the team and Bernadina was key behind both finishes.

180. Timothy Folk - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM

What a great feeling everybody… I really cant imagine what this club will look like with Perez/Goodwin/Rendon/Ramos/Giolito/Meyer etc etc Multiple World Series this is amazing!! Finally feel part of legit winning in a sport i care about (mlb/nba/nfl)

181. peric - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:19 AM

SHARK ATTACK! Well one thing is certain Bill Ladson may never again say he is calling Bernadina speed racer because he doesn't look like a Shark to him. Its a good thing Shark's like the taste of baseballs.

182. ehay2k - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Instant bipolar analysis: Detwiler gives up walk and 2 run HR in first, send him down, he stinks. Espinosa at bat with a man on, count the out already, the Nats will lose. ESPI WITH THE TATER!! GYFNG!!Gaahh!! Gorzy coming in with game tied!?! We will LOSE! Fire Davey!Good job by Gorzy! GYFNG!!!Nats hitting STINKS! Fire Rizzo for the weak bench.Tracy with a knock!Gaah! Izzy in to pitch run!?! Terrible idea.Izzy scores!! Rizzo and Davey are the best!Clippard is struggling, stupid Davey, can we bring in Storen already!?!Bernie is the best defensive CF in history! GYFNG!!!

183. Joe Hardy - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:20 AM

You gotta have heart!

184. Swift Eagle - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:20 AM

And if Trout or Harper had made that play, ESPN would interrupt live-programming to show it…And you're right Timothy, in DC a game saving catch for a 1st place baseball team with the best record in MLB will get less pub than the battle for the Redskins 3rd tight end…

185. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I think everyone likes Roger Bernadina. He is a true old-school kind of player.

186. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:21 AM

djinFl. said… MLB TV thinking that catch might be the years best. More important than the one for Cain. August 08, 2012 12:15 AM _____________________________Better than Trout in Baltimore?

187. The Fox - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Any bad or skeptical things I've ever said about Bernadina I apologize for. This kid has actually become an integral part of this team and I never would of thought that possible.Great job Bernie, all hail the Shark!

188. Swift Eagle - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Haha, Call him "Hoftsra" b/c he was a Flying Dutchman on that one…

189. peric - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:22 AM

On Suzuki versus Sandy Leon and Jhonatan Solano.Uhmmm think they both got plenty of exposure to this staff in spring training. Plus its not like they weren't there when Stras, JZimm, and Detwiler made their way through the minors. Not to mention the relievers. Suzuki knows Gio and that's about it I guess.

190. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:23 AM

I thought Izturis was a stud fielder. That ball in the 9th went into his pocket. Tough play for sure but that should have been an easy 9th.I agree with those saying Klip has to develop a slider.

191. Timothy Folk - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Really though Morse hit was gonna do it for us.. He really is slow lol… But that + + Power!!

192. Timothy Folk - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:25 AM

I'll chalk that up to Izturis nerves with a new club… But that was unacceptableBut yeah it does seem like Tyler has been kinda figured out.. A good hitting team wouldve killed us

193. peric - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Davey said he wasn't giving up on Bernadina yet when they brought Harper to the majors … its a good thing he didn't. Not sure Ankiel, Harper or Werth makes that catch. Morse doing the Shark Jaws move like the Sharkadinas was classic!

194. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Redskins? I wonder how many people out there are actually Ravens/Nats fans?You just can't fight a bad owner, whether it has to do with $40 parking at Redskins games, or the prohibition on signs at Redskins games, or the parade of coaches since Cooke died, and O's fans can tell a similar tale.Those of us in Maryland to the west have the best of both worlds, Nats and Ravens, who both play old-school ball….

195. The Fox - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Minute Maid park giveth and it taketh away.I hate Houston.

196. Swift Eagle - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:27 AM

No doubt, watching these games makes me appreciate Nats Park even more…It's just a baseball stadium, no gimmicks…Minute Maid? Clown Stadium, Bro…

197. sjm308 - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:27 AM

OK, calmed down now.Last home game in 308 we pretty much know each other now. One of the good guy regulars was moaning about letting Ankiel go and keeping Bernadina. I explained the strikeouts and difference in age and speed. I think on the 18th I will have a pretty good example of why Bernadina might have been the right move.

198. The Fox - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Well said Swift.

199. peric - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Those of us in Maryland to the west have the best of both worlds, Nats and Ravens, who both play old-school ball….Speak for yourself. Most of my Maryland Silver Spring fans refused to accept the wizards nee' bullets because they were from Baltimore. There a whole heck of a lot of us that never "got milk". Ravens are Brown like the Innuh Habbah and they are just the Cleveland Brown, stolen away from a city that supported them.. Heck their GM is a former Cleveland Brown. No milk and nothing brown and stinky for me.

200. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Swift, it was designed for homefield advantage. The person who liked it was a big pinball fan as a kid.