Game 111: Nats at Astros

Aug 8, 2012, 8:51 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats look to make it three in a row tonight at Minute Maid Park.

They've won twice in a row in dramatic fashion in extra innings. Tonight, the Nationals will try to win a game against the Astros in regulation, and in the process improve to 25 games over .500 for the first time.

Jayson Werth returns to the lineup after sitting out last night's game with tired legs. He'll be in right field, which should provide a little less wear and tear. Bryce Harper will be responsible for covering the spacious, treacherous and hilly center field at Minute Maid Park.

Gio Gonzalez gets the start, looking to duplicate Ross Detwiler's seven-inning outing from last night and take some pressure off a Nationals bullpen that has been extended nearly to the limit in recent days.

As you know by now, I'm not in Houston for this series. Enjoy the game and the conversation. And like me, pray the final out is recorded before the stroke of midnight for a change…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at HOUSTON ASTROS
Where: Minute Maid Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Indoors

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Oy, Hernandez is behind the dish tonight.Go, GIO! Go, NATS!! It's a beautiful day for a regulation ballgame. Let's play nine (innings, that is), and may the visitors win. :-)

2. sjm308 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I wonder how the umpire rotation goes. I guess home plate moves to 3rd where there is probably less work after being behind the plate, and everyone just slides over one. Angel was at 1st last night so that makes sense.

3. sjm308 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I have never watched so many scoreboards before. Brewers just went ahead of the Reds in the top of the 9th. I really want the Pirates to have a winning season but I also want every team but ours to lose more then they win for the next month or so. I am not looking for that one game playoff, I want them to start with an away games vs. the wildcard which would mean we have finished with the best record in the NL.Go Nats!!

4. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

With Angel Hernandez behind the plate, memo to Gio: Be on your best behavior, come to a complete stop in a stretch, have your shoes shined to a nice buff, wear your cap straight, please tie all those loose hands on your glove, make sure you have shaved within a half-hour of first pitch, stand at full attention for the national anthem, do not step on the chalk lines, brush your teeth vertically in front, horizontally in the rear, floss carefully, make sure you have enough quarters for the parking meters and, most important of all, treat the home plate umpire with the utmost of respect.You have to. It's just a courtesy for blind people.

5. livernonions - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

After Mark Carlson's performance behind the plate last night, Angel Hernandez might look like the model of consistency. I'm a union guy through and through, but even I have a hard time justifying what is essentially life tenure for umpires irrespective of talent or temperment.

6. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

So the same team some posters were so concerned that the Nats struggled to take 3 of 4, the Brewers, just swept the Reds.It's not WHO you're playing, it's HOW you're playing.

7. Grandstander - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Honestly, I think Angel has been somewhat better since MLB broke up him and Joe West. Probably not the most popular of opinions, but there are way worse when it comes to calling balls and strikes and especially ejections. He hasn't ejected a single person yet this season.That being said, if Gio so much as gives him a cockeyed glance after a bad call, he will probably get squeezed harder than a lime at a tiki bar.

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Remember to vote for ESPN's web gem between Trout and Roger. with 2699 votes in now Roger is leading 53% to47% or 162 votes.Here is the linkhttp://espn.go.com/mlb/baseballtonight

9. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Gio and Kurt: Reunited and it feels so good! (Yup, had to break out the cheezy Peaches and Herb Reference)GO GIO! GO 9 INNINGS! GO BATS!! I think Werth will be the one tonight to do the damage.

10. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Please, let's get the Offense rolling Nats!

11. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Gonat……man am I with you. Please, how about a laugher for a change?

12. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM

OK, I just pounded the strike zone for a while on ESPN for the Shark. All those people in LA are going to be getting home from work, or the beach, or wherever, later on, so we probably need to build a cushion. Keep at it, Insiders.

13. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

check Coco's response to Trout's catch.http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23719123&c_id=mlbTrout's catch was amazing, no doubt but catches like that are made more often than people realize. To be honest, I still think Bernie's catch from a year or two ago is better than any I have seen, except maybe Ichiro's wall climbing one.

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Carlson was awful last nigh, no pitcher on either side and most batters had a clue what was going to be called.Angel Hernandez can be no worse (though he has bee bad in the past).Shark now up 8% after 2857 votes. If you haven't vote yet do so.

15. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Gio going seven won't be much help if they have to play fourteen. Oh, and no mention yet of the fact that Gallaraga was a throw-in piece, with Wilkerson and Termell Sledge, from the Nats on the Soriano trade?

16. JD - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

NatsJack, 'It's not WHO you're playing, it's HOW you're playing.' That's what I'm worried about.

17. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

18. JD - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

We have to score some runs. Would have loved to see Werth at the top of the lineup.

19. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

As the poet Roger Miller once sang,"it’s the code of the west:heed the word of your sisters–the code of the west,make a left turn from sin.the code of the west,keep an eye on temptation, recite the quotationthat says when Satan calls your name it doesn’t matter how you played the game ‘cause all he cares about is 'did you win?'"

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM

after 2885 votes Shark up 10% About 288 botes Keep it going

21. Section 222 - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Great to see the Shark pulling away in the vote. Go Insiders!Grandstander — good point about Angel and Joe. That combination was nothing but trouble. Two guys trying to impress each other with how macho they are. How were you able to find out that Angel hasn't tossed anyone this year? Is there a website that keeps track of that? Speaking of useless but fun baseball trivia, Harper's homerun trot on Saturday was the second fastest in MLB that day at 19.25 seconds. (Espi's fifth slowest at 23.54.) I just love that. Harper still has the fastest trot of the year in MLB (16.35 seconds on May 26). The kid sets records everywhere he goes.

22. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

sorry voyrd hit the wrong key

23. NatsNut - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

This was a great catch *this year* but Bernadina's catch last year was by far my favorite all-out catch of all time, even after that crazy, superman year Willie Harris had in 08. I still marvel at it when I see it in the highlights.

24. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I believe that Baseball Tonight airs at 7 PM ET. Does the poll close then or continue during the broadcast?

25. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

26. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

2959 votes still up 10%, Keep the cushion

27. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Were there also plenty of naysayers at the time who did not properly appreciate Bernie's catch? Like, were you the only one saying it at the time? :-)Zection 3, My Zofa said…I wasn't that impressed with Trout's catch at the time, and I was the first to say so. Desmond had a better play that same day.August 08, 2012 5:46 PM

28. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Dang, Trout gained a point. Back to voting.

29. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

in case people forgot, http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14762271&c_id=mlbstill love it.

30. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

didn't know armando was expos's trade bit for soriano. I think we made good use of him then. thanks for that, sofa.

31. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Okay, back to up by 10. Gotta go ice my hand and make dinner.

32. Section 222 - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I thought Bernie's catch last night was better than the one last year. He took a bad route to that one. Plus, the game saving situation just can't be beat – -except maybe by that perfect game saving catch by the White Sox centerfielder a few years back.And let's get serious, Trout's catch was a great catch. Just not as good as the Shark's.

33. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM

The Wise catch was very cool.

34. Section 222 - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

The comments on the ESPN voting page are hilarious. CA is waking up folks, but there are now more votes from DC than from AZ. Well done!

35. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I hope in future, fans will appreciate these catches as much as we appreciate these now and the catches of previous generations.

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM

3075 votes still 10% lead

37. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Interesting info from Amanda:Amanda Comak‏@acomakChien-Ming Wang's rehab assignment has been effectively ended as he's still complaining of hip soreness. He's still on the DL.Amanda Comak‏@acomakDavey said he has to stay off of Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard tonight so Edwin Jackson is in the bullpen. It's his throw day.

38. TimDz - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

The sharks catch got a brief shout out on PTI …

39. JaneB - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM

GYFNG! May Gio have a happy reunion, and be lights out, with Kurt. May the game be a laugher on OUR side, and another defeat for the Astro's (they can win FRIDAY!). And may Jayson's legs hold up under him, brilliantly.GYFNG!

40. JaneB - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Wow! Ejax in the bullpen!

41. pRAA - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Did Comak say which member of the Nats FO kicked Wang in the hip?

42. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Yes, there is a website that tracks ejections. Here it is, you can waste a lot of time on it.ejectionshttp://www.closecallsports.com/

43. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Also on MLB Network's Intentional Talk. The sharks catch got a brief shout out on PTI …

44. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Is Wang going on the 60-day?

45. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Natslady, I think he just stays on the 15 day.

46. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM

How about the guy that broke his shoulder saving Cain's perfect game? (I think it was Cain).

47. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

NatsLady.. Mets guy for Johan's game broke his shoulder

48. The Fox - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Speaking of perfect games Armando Galarraga is the kid who pitched the 28 out perfect game.

49. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

My favorite of the comments:Nick Piecoro@nickpiecoro"Everybody has bad at-bats — except McCutchen." — Kirk Gibson

50. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Voting still going went from 3132 to 3165 the last 5 minutes. Same 10 point lead.

51. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Sorry, MicheleS–knew it was someone. That was a pretty fantastic catch also.

52. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM

They're also arguing about votes, i.e., why all the AZ votes for Trout? Duh, I don't know – maybe because the Angels have a rookie-league affiliate there? :-)

53. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Er, make that e.g.

54. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:33 PM

1a, those arguments are fun to read. People are so into it, it is hilarious.

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Now BBTN givingTrout more coverage, but the gap is now 12% keep it up Shark. 3197 votes

56. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Jackson, being the team player that he is, probably volunteered for BP duty. Would that he was as good a pitcher as he is a team-mate.

57. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I know, Faraz. I think they all need to get a grip. It's a fan vote on a sports network site. :-)All those people in LA are going to be getting home from work, or the beach, or wherever, later on, so we probably need to build a cushion. Keep at it, Insiders.Typical LA fans, showing up late. ;-)

58. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Come on Kyle, giving up a hit to Tim Hudson of all people. Braves lead 3-1 early in the game. I have no shame in rooting for Phillies this series.On the other hand, just keep winning our games.

59. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Good for EJax. Team Guy.OK, I just went and threw another inning at ESPN on Shark's behalf. Stay on top of it, and we should be fine.

60. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

is anyone having trouble watching free game of the day over at mlb site?

61. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM

And EJax is a fine pitcher, best 4th starter in MLB.

62. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I sense a shark attack coming on.

63. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM

That thud you just heard was CMW's career. I hate to be negative, but this guy was a total waste of the Lerners' money. Error, Rizzo. A rare E-1.

64. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM

CMW.. No harm no foul, didn't cost us prospects, and it was the Lerner's $$$, so no one should be calling them cheap.

65. NCNatsie - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM

CMW was a perfectly reasonable gamble. If all such gambles paid off, they wouldn't be gambles.

66. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Shark is officially the reigning Web Gem.

67. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM

This year was a loss, but the end of last season got back quite a bit of that expense, in terms of production. Boz did a piece detailing that argument, anyway, last fall I think it was. It was worth a shot–didn't pan out. Oh well. Everything that doesn't work out isn't a fail.

68. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

NCN–excactly. Look at Ben Sheets. Who is to say in advance it will work? The injury in Spring Training was the end, I think.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Its official just saw Shark is the reigning Web gem now. Ramirez of Milwaukee was the early show number 1. A solid play that Zim dows reggularly. Remember to vote tomorrow when the new poll is up.

70. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Michele, is the voting closed, then? I don't think so.

71. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Zofa.. They named it as the reigning gem, and not Trout.

72. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM

They're still taking votes. They just took a bunch of mine, anyhow. Over 3,000 total.

73. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Maybe I'll just keep voting, to tick off the Trout fans and ESPN guy.

74. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Happy to see Edwin Jackson in the bullpen and I'm sure he's a 'team guy,' but I think his bullpen assignment is more a function of this being his regular throwing day between starts.Separate issue: Anyone else having problems with MLB.tv?

75. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

LOL good idea Sofa. I love Trout's play as much as anyone but Bernie's catch was better, given the situation and all.

76. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Eugene, MLB is tweeting that they are having problems with Radio & TV streams, they are working on it.Zofa, keep going, Kruk and Ravi think Trout was better.. Whatever.

77. natsfan1a - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

haha, I'm also going to vote to make the ESPN guys mad.

78. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

LORD Lombo.. for once Bo holds up a stop sign and he runs threw it.

79. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Thx MischeleS. At least GameDay seems to be working.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM

They have 3rd base coach for a reason. Lombo Porter says stop, you stop in the first inning. Never looked up. That is bad baserunning.

81. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Minute Maid Park sucks I think this place is cursed. All this wacky crappy things keep happening here.

82. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Why is it ALWAYS Angel Hernandez in the middle of these snafus?

83. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Lombo? Good grief.Well, nice SF by ALR.1-0 Uh-oh, what's up?Balk!Wow, curiouser and curiouser!

84. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Carp just said they are getting rid of that dumb hill in center field. good.

85. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

As Zection3 called it last night, MicheleS, "the kitchen sink of weird."Now we hear the hill is going away next year. What's going up in its place? Condos? A swimming pool? Tanning salon?

86. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Did anybody see the balk?

87. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM

This park is cursed! Just a crazy call, even if it was to our advantage. Net effect -Zimm on second.

88. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

What's going up in its place? Condos? A swimming pool?——————–Maybe a small moat, like in the steeplechase?

89. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

They are going to put statues out there where the hill is.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Galarraga almost put none in the strike zone, and we managed only 1 run. We swung at least 4 balls guys. What is that all about. Make him throw strikes. A walk is a good as a single. He will walk you if you let him.

91. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Lombo thought he was Bryce, or even Bernie. He's not. Watch your coach and obey him, especially in the 1st inning.

92. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Two statues: Biggio, and Jack in the Box.

93. A DC Wonk - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Well, Bernie scored on running through the stop sign Monday night, right? ;-)

94. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Ryan declined the honor, citing "the damn weirdness of the whole thing"

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM

By the wa he bakled the pitch before, and I was complaining they didn't call it. You ahve to come to a stop and he didn't 2 times in a row and was called on it the second time.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Did Gio not get the message? Three pitches hung in the middle three hits already. If we had just hits balls in the middle and not swung at balls not close we would ahve score a lot more.

97. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Just curious, are you typing on a phone?

98. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Mazda sponsors the Defensive Outfield screen, and Suzuki gets a free plug.

99. Santangelo for President 2012 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Sure is nice to see people in Nats gear at these away games.

100. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

NO WAY GIO!!!! HOW AWESOME!!

101. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

GIO

102. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Did what GameDay said just happen actually happen?

103. RickH - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM

GIO!!!!!!!!

104. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Who needs middle of the order thunder? Our pitchers can take care of themselves…

105. Santangelo for President 2012 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

We do have some good hitting pitchers.

106. UnkyD - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Hmmmph…. No Audio feed, on MLB At Bat…? Hmmmmph….

107. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Now I want to know the Gallaraga/Suzuki history…Gio sticking up for his boy…

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Gio makes up for his 3 bad pitches in the first with a 2 run tater. He is plus 1.We still need him to go deep into this game.

109. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Well, maybe Gio can't pitch too good tonight, but Gio sure can hit good tonight! Curiouser & curiouser!

110. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Eugene, MLB says they have the problem fixed on the streaming.

111. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Swift, now he doesn't get a warning, or risk getting himself and Davey tossed. Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

112. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Det is now on the clock for a dinger.. hmmm. when will he get his.

113. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Thx, MicheleS. For Nats game the audio is now working, but not the TV. Will keep checking.

114. Schumatrix - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I think Det needs to eat a couple sandwiches before that's possible.

115. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I like the way our pitchers protect our guys – with a BAT! Capone style!

116. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Eugene/UnkyD.. others with streaming issues:MLB‏@MLBUPDATE: Problem has been isolated and resolved. Every live feed across every device, if not already available, will be accessible shortly

117. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:49 AM

And Ryan Howard just tied it up 6-6 in the 5th inning with the Braves

118. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Off-topic but relevant: Ryan Howard's three-run shot ties Phils with Braves 6-6.

119. JaneB - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Just when I think I can't love Gio more, I find out I'm wrong. And what a fun way to find out.A few more and we will have our laugher and know we can all go to bed early and happy.

120. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Whoops. Late. Again. You have to be pretty quick off the blocks to beat Michele "Usain Bolt" S.

121. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Sunshine, it's the business level high speed internet access that I have at the house. Boss pays for it.

122. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I have never seen MicheleS and Usain Bolt in the same room. Coincidence? I think NOT!

123. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM

My family would fall down laughing at the Usain Bolt comparisons, since I run like Stras.

124. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I've been googling, but I can't find any reference to bad blood or a beef between Gallaraga and Suzuki yet. I think he's only pitched to him once before.

125. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM

If anyone cares, the crack WJFK radio team just explained that on the sacrifice vs. balk, if Adam LaRoche had gotten a hit, the hit would have superseded the balk and Mr. LaRoche would have gotten the RBI. Since it was 'just' a sacrifice, the balk took precedence (because it also advanced the runner who was on first).

126. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Galarraga. One L, two Rs.

127. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM

@Usain Bolt: Michele, you interested in Mets-Nats game a week from Sunday, Aug. 19? I got an extra ticket, in the shade, down first base line?

128. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Eugene, that and the balk doesn't cost them an out.

129. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Zat iz zo; ezactly.

130. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM

And while things are slow–The Nats have a half-off promo that includes the Braves games coming up. I got good seats, last night.TravelZoo, Nats Tix

131. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Sunshine.. I am already there! Take your mother in law.. she will love it.

132. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Such a slow tempo, the catcher is doodling in the dirt behind home plate. He has written half of Moby Dick.

133. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Wait, did Kristina just say it was "Waterless Wednesday" for the starters? WTH does that mean???

134. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

@MicheleS: No offense, but she was first call. But she's at the beach that week.

135. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

OK, I went back and listened again. She said "Waterless Wednesday."

136. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM

If Altuve jumps to reach a high liner, but is just an inch short, is it scored an error, given that the average player would have had it?

137. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM

@MicheleS: Would you at least stop by Section 134 an hour or so before the game? I'm in Row double-P. In the shade.

138. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:10 AM

ehay, no, but Ghost would probably say if you asked Altuve he'd say he should have caught it.

139. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I kid.

140. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

let this be Armando's last inning. Come on Nats.ESPN guys are talking Nats and SS during SF vs STL game.

141. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Sorry, should have used a ;-) after my Altuve question. :-)

142. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM

That called third strike on Bam-Bam almost hit the dirt.

143. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Where does Angel Hernandez park his guide dogs at the park when he works a game?

144. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Bryce should not argue with Angel, that will come back to haunt him somewhere down the line.

145. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Actually, thinking about it, it's not fair to not give an error to Altuve there, but then give one to Dunn when he can't reach down to get a ground ball. ;-)

146. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Lol Sunshine!

147. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Hernandez is liable to call a balk on Bryce next time around.Except for Laz and Country Buffet Boy Joe West, Worst Umpire Ever.

148. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Sunshine, very funny @ 9:15.

149. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

the dirt in the RH batters box.

150. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Well, it's a pretty bad strike zone both ways. So there's that.

151. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM

The role of Bob Davidson tonight is being played by Angel Hernandez.

152. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Balks all around! Put them on Angel's tab.

153. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Well, at least they didn't manufacture the run by stealing that time…

154. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I can't believe it is back to a 1 run game. The Nats have 1 clutch hit and its by the pitcher.This has to turn around. Galaragga stinks.

155. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM

FP is not having a good game. First the phantam Suzuki/Gallarando history based on a phantom "look" that Suzuki gave him. Then the ridiculous "taking one for the team" as if ALR cares about 1 RBI vs the chance for a big inning, and then forgetting about Zim's 30 game hitting streak (if he ever knew about it), speculating that the longest hitting streaks in the teams history were by Vlad or Vidro "at least in the 20s." Carp is trying not to show him up as he corrects him, but having a tough time.

156. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM

What's the story with Galarraga? He's got an all-but-perfect game, has taken no-hitters into the late innings a few times, as I recall, and yet he knocks around like the PTBNL.

157. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:31 AM

FP is tired, it's a long season, and he hasn't been able to start partying until well after midnight this series.

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

The pitchers has nothing he falls behinds most the hitters nd with good hitting counts we are flubbing away. Come on guys get hits.

159. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Hmmm, maybe FP isn't the only one partying… I'm not judging, I'm just saying.

160. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Oh, you just KNOW that Angel goes out clubbing. With those eyes, all the girls are keepers!

161. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM

umpiring is awful. But so is our hitting in this series. When do we face cole hamels again?

162. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Sure glad we got suzuk. Can't hit cant throw. HEY WAIT, EITHER CAN JESUS

163. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:43 AM

164. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Secret, please leave religion out of it. Thanks.

165. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Go nat I agree. if we split this series we will look back and say we were lucky. Time to give Bryce a day off. Play Roger

166. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I wonder if those kids asked for the Harper autographed balls or that's what the Nats offered? They should have held out for a trip to DC in October and playoff tickets!!

167. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM

11-6 ATL up now on the Fils.

168. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:46 AM

UGHH the Phils stink. Thanks for nothing.

169. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Here comes Jesus Suzuki. hope he hits him.

170. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Secret, we are still winning, so why is it that you are so negative?

171. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Just nervous I guess.

172. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I chope Gio fers bases loaded.

173. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

what you do here?

174. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

No reason to be nervous, look at our winning percentage! :-)

175. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

He's not negative, he's the sock puppet alter ego of another poster here, who's not too popular, so he splits his neg ratings. Not a bad strategy, really, if you're committed to it.

176. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… I chope Gio fers bases loaded. August 08, 2012 9:50 PM ____________________________Grand Salami time!

177. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM

hahhaha I wouldnt pitch to Gio either. His a homerun monster. LETS GO NATS.

178. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM

If I'm Gio, I'm sitting dead red with a new pitcher in.

179. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM

ehay, don't look now, but I think everybody here is drunk except us … and I'm not so sure about us.

180. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:56 AM

ok now we need a big hit. LOMBO do

181. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I think you go with Tyler Moore here, but hey, that's just me. Go get 'em Lombo!

182. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Tyler more for bryce

183. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM

awful. that was ball 2

184. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Not to be negative, but this is sad. Lombo lays an egg.Like I said before the at-bat, I would have pinch-hit. You have Izturis to play 2nd now.

185. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I'm visualizing … deep.

186. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Payback.

187. rogieshan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Angel Hernandez…

188. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Wow. That's just. Wow.

189. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Angel is powerful, Angel demands respect. Or he is just an ass.

190. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

You called it Michele. Angel has it in for Bam-Bam. I'm surprised he hasn't run him yet.

191. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Angel hernandez has made this personal. Absolutely ridiculous. Shame on him. Those balls are unhittable and not strikes

192. Grandstander - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I officially take back what I said about Hernandez.

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Again harper called out on a ball outside the stike zone. The major leagues only need about 72 guys toumpire and we cannot find 72 good umpires in America? I find it shocking because about 50% are so inconsistent and have no clue how to call a strike, and MLB has no understanding that there is a problem in this area. It is fairly easy to fix if they wanted to.

194. Exposremains - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM

They are doing it on purpose. How can you miss so many chances? They have no energy.

195. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM

That is sad. Angel Hernandez has to respect the game. That was ball 4. Ball 5 was a little closer.

196. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:05 AM

In all seriousness is there anything the Nats can do? Like reporting that to the league… I mean this is just sick. How freeeeken unprofessional can he be ALLOWED to be????? I am fuming now.

197. Jim Webster - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM

When one goes to someone's house and the host keeps offering gifts, it's only polite to accept them with thanks and grace. Nats not being very polite in Minute Maid Park.

198. Michael Dempsey - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Angel Hernandez is a freaking joke. The MLB needs to get rid of some of these "veteran" umpires. They suck.

199. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Time for Davey to go postal

200. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM

I'm speechless, out of respect for Mark.That just wasn't fair.

201. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Why does Davey just sit there, while AHNGEL appears to cheat for the other team? MLB needs to get Hernandez out of there. The guy is not good.

202. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Let's hope Danny Espinosa is telling Gio to clear his mind, repeat his mantra, and focus.

203. RickH - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Nice catch, Gio!

204. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I am no longer nervous. I am pissed. Angle says no catch. he trapped it. jack …….s

205. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Honestly, Hernandez has always been a lousy umpire, but rec leagues get better umpires.

206. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Unbelieveable. Surprising that Angel hasn't tossed Harper, which would make this completely absurd. Took alot of restraint for Harper not to just go after him. Maybe that bat slamming incident in Miami was good for him.

207. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Maxwell K's and Angel keeps his hand in his pocket. This is ridiculous. This guy shouldn't be ump'ing real games.

208. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM

William o I agree. Although arguing will just make that premadona idoit hernandez get even worse.

209. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Stop it Fp. We have been cheated out of two runs.

210. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Angel is really making me question his integrity.

211. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I despise the name Angel Hernandez.

212. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Speaking of "put it back in your pocket"–Hernandez isn't going anywhere, and he isn't getting in any trouble for a crappy strike zone, or ringing up a rookie. Just ain't happening. Gio's response to Suzuki getting drilled is how you have to approach this. Davey getting tossed is entertaining, but won't accomplish anything whatsoever as far as improving this guy's umpiring.

213. rogieshan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM

We've all seen this movie before with Angel. Zero accountability and no transparency with the umpires union. Sad.

214. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I am going to say Ryan has moved a couple inches closer to the plate and Houston has decided to pound him inside. Thank you very much.

215. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:16 AM

we dont score here i cant blame angel. come on

216. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:16 AM

A curse on Angel's hemmorroids.

217. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:18 AM

The cleanup man and the beast can't get balls out of the infield against a reliever who has an opponents BA of over .400

218. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM

That'll haved to do.

219. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Mr. Hernandez's father certainly lacked insight or creativity when naming his son. "Hmm, let's name him, Angel…"I heard a story by Dizzy Dean about how he was actually a good runner, like Edwin Jackson and how one game he made a great slide into third but was erroneously called out by the ump. Diz went nuts and turned to the ump, who told him, "Diz, that was the best slide that I ever saw by a pitcher. You did everything right. The throw beat you by such a tiny margin that I almost called it the other way. Great running."Dizzy went off the field so proud of his running that he was surprised when the dugout told him that it was the worst call they ever saw and wanted to know why he didn't argue harder….

220. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Ugly, but accept it.

221. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Well, Hernandez takes away, but the Astros give it back.

222. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Eugene, no kidding. Without a doubt.

223. rogieshan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Poetic justice.

224. Exposremains - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM

you know we can complain all we want about Angel. The fact is the Nats are awful tonight offensively

225. Grandstander - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I'm surprised Angel didn't ring Espinosa up on that iBB

226. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Win or lose, Rizzo needs to get on the horn to Torre. This is not acceptable. What if Hernandez officiates a playoff game????

227. Exposremains - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:21 AM

They're lucky the astros are so bad

228. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Does Angel hate every team or is it just the Nats?

229. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:24 AM

I am not sure, but I have to believe the nats catchers as a whole have to have among the lowest batting average as agroup of any collection in the majors. But they make up for it by not throwing anyone out either. Not sure how we are in wild pitches and pass balls but not too good.So far Suzuki has done nothing at the plate except the goofy bunt to improess me, and guys are on base for him.

230. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Angel hates every player because they get all the money but HE has all the skills.

231. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM

232. Old Wino - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Great teams overcome evil umpires. This is a great lesson in patience, hopefully Angel will be eliminated soon from the game. Baseball should be about the game, not some umpire with an attitude. Go Nats! We shall overcome! ;)

233. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Seven pitches.

234. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Any of you folks still clamoring for Tommy Milone?

235. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:28 AM

ehay2K, he has missed so many pitches. I think Davey should pinch hit for Bryce. Call it a night and give Shark some innings.

236. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:28 AM

237. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Gio is mad. He is not going to let Hernandez beat him or his team. Don't forget how protective the boys are of Bryce.

238. rogieshan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Angel Hernandez will be part of a playoff crew, as will his mentor Joe West.

239. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:31 AM

the nakor leahues has like 15 or 17 teams of umpires. that is a total of 72 people. OF the 72 I would say 35-40 are terrible. Are you telling me in all the world we cannot find 72 good men and women who have good eyesight and judgement to call baseball games. It can't be that hard. We're a county of about 150 million working adults. Sure we can find 72 real good umpires.In any game they can be bad for us or against us. I want neither I want good umpiring.

240. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Harper should have said, "that's a clown call, bro."

241. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Bryce needs to hit a 500 foot HR here or draw a walk.

242. Moose - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:33 AM

I think even Gio is furious with Hernandez. He stormed off at the end of the 6th after making that great catch, and was scowling through the 7th and he mowed everyone down. I kind of like the Angry Gio…

243. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:34 AM

OMG, Bryce WALKED! Even more amazing, Angel LET him!

244. rogieshan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Who knew Hernandez tweets between innings?

245. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… I remember in a baseball movie that they claimed that there was one phrase that automatically will get any player, coach or manager kicked out of a game."Clown call, bro?"

246. Old Wino - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Angry Gio time! I like it :)

247. mick - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM

angel the freakin a-hole, nuff said

248. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I think the Stros gave Harper that walk. Serously–that guy suddenly lost his control? No one likes Hernandez. Wow, Lombo and ALR!!! Nice.

249. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Hernandez only called the walk because no one was on. None of the 4 pitches were close, but then again 5 of the previous 6 weren't eitherAll I want is 72 good men or wome to umpire is that asking to much. I don't want them cheating for me or against me. A wrong call is not cheating. More than a few becomes cheating. hernandez has had more than a few this game.TOrre doesn't care anymore with his cushy job. I wah hoping he would clean the game up, but he refuses too.DFA a bunch of the umps.

250. mick - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:43 AM

come on GIO

251. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Exhale…..

252. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Just in case you were wondering: No, it's not a meritocracy.From MLB"Special Event selectionASSIGNMENTAll major league umpires are eligible to work any Special Event. The Office of the Commissioner shall have absolute and exclusive discretion in the assignment of umpires to work Special Events. There shall be no restriction on the number of Special Events to which an umpire may be assigned to work in any given year, provided however that an umpire shall not work back-to-back Special Event series (excluding the All-Star Game) and, an umpire shall not work consecutive World Series.NOTIFICATIONUmpires assigned to work the Mid-Summer Classic shall be notified of their assignment not less than 30 days prior to the game. Umpires assigned to work the Division Series shall be notified of their assignment on the next to last Saturday of the regular season. Umpires assigned to work the League Championship Series shall be notified of their assignment on the last Saturday of the regular season. Umpires assigned to work the World Series shall be notified of their assignment on the day after the end of the last Division Series.ROTATIONSix (6) umpires shall be assigned to work each Special Event. Rotation of umpiring positions on the field will be followed in any Special Event that is a series. The Office of the Commissioner shall determine the initial position of each umpire in such series."

253. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM

So does Gio come out in the 9th?

254. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Angel screwed another one the one he called strike 2 to Snyder 4 inches outside. should have been 3-1. I hate when he has the playte. 2 nights in a row terrible umpiring at the plate.

255. ExposedinDC - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Don't worry folks we got Gio…..they have Angel

256. A DC Wonk - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I hope I'm not jinxing at this point: but this game is a blowout compared to the last two!Just what we wanted, right? ;-)

257. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:48 AM

No one throwing; give him a breather, hitters.

258. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Bottom of the order for Houston in the 9th

259. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:49 AM

You know, if all the Nats hitters were hot, and driving in all these runners, the Nats would have a big lead and….We would all be on here worried that there's no way they could sustain this type of play for 2.5 more months….That's what's great about baseball, there's always reason for angst AND hope….Enjoy the ride folks, this is the FUN part…

260. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Was that four pitches? Five? That's not a breather.

261. Moose - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Stay angry, Gio. The Astros won't like you when you get angry…

262. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM

The very first post of this thread was "Oy, Hernandez is behind the dish tonight." So we can't say this is much of a surprise.OK, Babe Gonzales, let's go get it.

263. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM

How will we extend this game into tomorrow? It would take an Angel….

264. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Batters 4,5,6 go easy without a wimper.Go gio in the 9th

265. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:00 AM

NL, you're kidding about the Astros walking Harper on purpose, right?

266. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Sigh, teenagers.

267. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Oh, and I had Mack the Knife all cued up.Everybody who wanted it easy–well, sorry.

268. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Barkeep!Late-inning, emergency shot of bourbon and Maalox, for my friends.

269. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Cue MicheleS…

270. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Man, this is exciting stuff!

271. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Oy vey!

272. RickH - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Does it always have to be this hard???

273. Schumatrix - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Yeah baby! Nice job out there, Gio!!

274. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Breath in, breath out….Kardiac Kids are killing me.Nothing is easy!

275. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Curly W #68 is in the books…Yes, that's more than anyone else…

276. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Wooooooooo HooooooooooooooTradeMark Michele

277. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Oh my god! Well, that's one way to get to be 25 over .500.Bryce needs to be sat down for a game.

278. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:04 AM

What did you all think about Suzuki's throw down to 1st on the strikeout to end the game?

279. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:04 AM

OK, time for a nightcap. Needed to stay sober form the game, especially with a devil calling the game behind home plate.Nice job Gio!

280. Old Wino - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Davey is a genius with this group of guys. Complete game for Gio…. Perfect!

281. Scooter - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Wow.

282. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM

I think he got the out, Gonat. Don't overthink it.

283. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Complete game. Home run. Win. But a lot of anxiety included.

284. bluejeener - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Complete game Natitude for Gio! More antacid for the rest of us.

285. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said… William O. Douglas Loeffler said… I remember in a baseball movie that they claimed that there was one phrase that automatically will get any player, coach or manager kicked out of a game. "Clown call, bro?"I like that! Behold the new phrase to get automatically kicked out of a game and it is so much less homophobic….

286. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Preparing for another 21 hours of Posts that start something like "I know they won, but…"

287. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Wait, it's not even midnight? TWO nightcaps then!

288. Timothy Folk - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Gio seems like a bargain contract wise!!

289. Drew - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I am not getting enough rest at work to prepare for these games. Way to preserve the pen Nat Gio.

290. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Another great save by ALR on that throw. Way to go Gio, way to save the bullpen, and win your own game with a HR. Fantastic.Zofa — on umpire selection for post season, just because the Commish has complete discretion doesn't mean the selection isn't made on merit. My friend who went to umpire school and who has several friends who are MLB umps says the best are chosen. Angel won't be there, nor will Laz.

291. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Prestigious Old School Way sighting! Welcome back, dude!

292. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Oh, can you imagine the Barves clubhouse tonight? Barkeep, new furniture for all my friends!

293. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:08 AM

All the players are a bargain for people as rich as the LernersWhen they write a check the bank bounces…

294. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Swift, it goes in one column or the other. Its another one in the W column. Ill go with "I know they won but, something still needs to be done about ANGEL HERNANDEZ. Totally unprofessional.

295. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Hey Scooter, good to see ya!

296. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:10 AM

222, I know they cleaned it up some after 2009, but I was reacting to the rule that no umpire may work consecutive World Series. Not that there aren't 12 good umps–there are–but that's what I was thinking of, mainly.

297. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:10 AM

And now you know why Kurt Suzuki is on this team.

298. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:13 AM

222, no, I wasn't. Ballplayers have their own code. Guy has perfect control and suddenly walks Harper on four pitches that even Hernandez couldn't call strikes? Might as well have held up the four fingers.

299. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I ref middle and High School basketball. Just for some exercise and a little extra money. I won't even make an obvious bad call just to teach a kid a lesson. disgraceful

300. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:14 AM

NL, I just figured that with the strike zone Harper was going to have, there was no point throwing it near the plate, and it took him four pitches to figure out it wasn't THAT big.

301. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Angel is definitely a Clown Umpire, Bro…But tonight I bet he's happy b/c he's getting exactly what he wants…All the Attention

302. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Zofa, LOL!

303. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:17 AM

NL, respectfully, that's crazy. Pitchers lose the strike zone all the time. And no team is going to give away a walk in a close game.

304. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:21 AM

222, you are thinking like a fan and not a ballplayer. There is a whole world of stuff going on below the surface.

305. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:22 AM

I heard Edwin on the 980 the Team today and, let me tell you, we should enjoy this team. This is a rare group of guys. We don't have a single great player and yet somehow, we have the best record in the major leagues.No, we don't have a single great player. No one on our team has an OBP the last time I checked of .350 (which is decent buy not great–check out Eddie Yost's numbers from the 50's Nats) or over. None of our hitters leads or comes close to leading in any major category. We have, perhaps, two great fielders in Zimmerman and Bernadina, when he is in. La Roche is a very good fielder and Werth and Harper are good fielders, but not quite Cesar Geronimo's, yet.Our relievers are quite competent, but obviously far from overpowering. Who do we resemble? The 1969 Mets, although they did in fact have a great pitcher in Tom Seaver, and Jerry Koosman was probably better than anyone we have. They also had Nolan Ryan, who I regard as overrated (and a jerk) both on that team and in general, and Gary Gentry. Our staff may be better than that Mets staff, but that Mets staff was further along in 1969 than ours is. Koosman and Seaver were already more than established in 1969. Except for Gio and Jackson, who is a bit of an accomplished joureyman, our guys are still up and coming.The 1969 Mets had a whole host of guys who had career years in 1969 and somehow it happened for them, even though their pythagorean numbers were actually lower than those of the Cubs and close to 20 games lower than the far superior team that they upset in the World Series. In 7 games anything can happen.I wouldn't write this year off for the future because nothing is guaranteed. The 1969 Mets won 100 games and counting the post-season, went 107 and 63. The Mets wouldn't win 100 games again with that core and except for a fluke win over the Reds in 1973 when the Mets won 83 games in the regular season, the Mets never came close to making the World Series again.

306. Timothy Folk - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:24 AM

This team is so much more than Stras/Harper… but you can tell Zim looks at this team like a proud dad who's son has finally made it@

307. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Had to run to the store as my Malaax was out. Took some and I feel better already.When in a victory did we have 3 up 3 down last inning (or at least in a game that was within 3 runs).

308. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Wow==> SF 15 Cards 0. Look at all these 10+ run games… and here we are with three 1-run wins in a row. At least it wasn't extra innings! Thank you, Gio!!! Great game.

309. JaneB - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM

So much to celebrate in this game! Not remotely a laugher, unless you count the bogus and bad calls by Angel Hernandez. Would have been that much better if the freakin' Phillies had won, too. But WE did! Go Nats! 'nite friends!

310. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM

NL — Don't be patronizing. I know there's a lot going on below the surface, but it doesn't include giving makeup calls or otherwise not trying to get someone out. What if Harper had come around to score and the Stros ended up losing by 1 run? We're talking Black Sox type scandal here.

311. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:39 AM

222, are you kidding? Black Sox type scandal? Might as well say that for every HBP that is in "retaliation." I'm done here.

312. Drew - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Matt Skole hits two more home runs for Hagerstown.He has 27 homers and 90 RBIs in 98 games.

313. baseballswami - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:45 AM

So I just got back to my hotel room, started checking posts and the MLB recap. Wow. So Gio went nine AND hit a homer? Sounds like Angel was the devil. Two balks and a punch out to Bryce that was actually a "message"? That about right? How did Zim look? Power? Weak? Sounds crazy. This trip to Houston his been nutty. Go Nats! Any win is a good win.

314. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Swami, Zim looked OK, solid hits. Gio got mad. I think Bernie misplayed a ball in the 9th, but Carp and FP didn't come right out and say that, and I didn't see the route he took. Harper threw to 3rd trying to be a hero so the winning run took 2nd. Gio was tough, man, was he tough. He picked up Bernie and Harper, not to mention the entire bullpen. The walk to Harper cost the Astros .7% on their Win Expectancy. They went from 15.8% chance to win to 15.1% chance to win.

315. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:57 AM

The O's just promoted Machado from AA. He was phenomenal in the Futures Game. Have no idea if he is ready for the Show, but they are really trying.

316. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Suzuki HBP cost the Astros 1.3% of Win Expectancy.

317. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:13 AM

swami,One additional point to add to NatLady's quick wrap-up of the 9th: Not only did Mr. Harper throw to third rather than first, but he threw waaaayyyy off-line. Ryan Zimmerman couldn't get it and it would likely have been a run scored except that Gio was backing up the play perfectly. Gio deserves a lot (maybe even all) of the credit for that game — pitching, hitting, fielding. And he was on a mission in the 7th and 8th; focused and firing.

318. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Ok fine, it's not the Black Sox scandal because a gangster wasn't paying them off. But I simply don't believe that a team would walk someone in a tight game as a supposed payback for a bad call made by an ump in a previous at bat. I sure hope the Nats won't ever risk losing a game over such misplaced "sportsmanship."

319. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Apparently Davey is going to give Harper a "day off" tomorrow. Lombo should be fined also, but he did make a great play…

320. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Just watched the postgame. Harper gets day off tomorrow. Davey didn't mince words about how bad that ill-advised throw to third was. Rookie mistake. Baseball 101. "That's not a mistake you need to be making when you're in a pennant race." I sure wish someone would tell Davey how to pronounce Stammen's name.Most important, that's quite a haircut Gio got.Braves can't pick up a game on us no matter how hard they try. I love it!

321. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:32 AM

NatsLady: I missed something. Why should Mr. Lombardozzi be fined?

322. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:36 AM

222, I'm not trying to be patronizing, but you are missing the point. It only had a little to do with Harper and a lot to do with the players sending a message that it is not the umpire's privilege to affect the result of a game in order to teach lessons or whatever. Players are supposed to suck it up when bad calls go against them–and assume it will even out–but there is a limit. If Colbert hits Bryce Harper to be "old school", that isn't free. It has a risk, however small, that it could impact the game. (As, in fact, it did). If umpires decide to teach Bryce Harper a lesson, it is essentially risk-free. No consequences–or at least none that impact the game. And that isn't fair. Is it misplayed "sportsmanship" for the players to want the game to be officiated fairly?

323. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Lombo ran through Porter's stop sign and was thrown out at home. He had no chance to score.

324. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Sorry, not misplayed–"misplaced." Bernie ran through the stop sign, too, of course, and it worked. But that is not something you want Lombo (or any other player to start doing).

325. SonnyG10 - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:42 AM

Oy! Nerve racking, but a win. What a night!

326. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:42 AM

NatsLady: Thanks. I missed seeing the first couple of innings because MLT.tv was on the fritz. But now I recall a couple of posts to that effect. Gotta go back and watch that and Gio's home run.

327. Unknown - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:45 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler:I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane regarding those '69 Mets. All through August, I kept thinking that while the Mets were playing really well, there was no chance–none–that they would overtake the Cubs, who were having an amazing season (and who I think had one of the the better infields in my lifetime, Ernie Banks, Don Kessinger, Ron Santo and Glen Beckert & Randy Hundley).But sometime in September, they played the Cubbies, swept them (or close to sweeping) and they pulled past them and never looked back.I loved Tommy Agee and Cleon Jones and without Gary Gentry, there rotation would not have been deep enough to win the pennant. That next spring, Channel 9 had a Senators' special just before spring training was over. Mike Epstein was interviewed as well as Bob (Rot in Hell) Short. I'll never forget his words. "I see no reason why we can't have a Mets-type season here in Washington in 1970."Didn't work out and they were gone two years later.Sorry youngsters for the old-fogy rant. That was a special year, both for the Senators and for the Mets. Farid @ Idaho

328. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Not sure I expressed that clearly. The umpires can "teach Bryce a lesson" and by so doing affect the result of the game, but they are not players on the winning (or losing) team. So they influence the result of the game for non-game-related reasons–and yet there is no impact on them. When players deliberately sabatoge the game (like Colbert) they assume risk. Umpires don't.

329. flynnie - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Hernandez looked geeked up on sudafed or red bull to me- eyes, face, over-alert, itchy. He wasn't focused. I'm surprise he didn't toss Bryce, and so is Davey. They were bad calls, but they weren't all that bad. In You're Out and You're Ugly Too Durwood Merrill admitted that once he'd called a strike and the batter took the same pitch, he'd call it again and say, "The folks didn't buy a ticket to watch you stand here with your bat on your shoulder!" I've seen Bryce chase, and never see another pitch to hit for five at bats in a row, but maybe he should be less fine and protect the plate when the ump's calling a big zone. Try to foul off 10 in a row. It's harder to do than it is to write. Ron Washington said of Hernandez:"Angel's just bad. That's all there is to it." http://deadspin.com/5906057/better-know-an-umpire-angel-hernandez

330. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:27 AM

The real pproblem with umpires is they are not really ever called accountable by anyone. Not the media not MLB. No one. I guess that is why I love Hawk Harrelson he doesn't mixed words he tells you exactly what he thinks of the umpires. Though Iwish he would interview them and tell them that, but at least he says it. Most of the media is too professional just to call them out, and MLB for some reason thinks they have to protect them from the media. If they are doing their job there is nothing to protect.What I would love to do is sit through a game one time with an umpire,and every time I am pissed at one, they can tell me why I am wrong. I believe they wouldn't have the nerve to sit with people like that because the whole batch is not as good at their profession and the players are at theirs.All we ask for out of 150-175 million working Americans 72 good umpires (ane we get about 40-50 at most). It just can't be that hard. I watch 2-3 games a day, and I know it can't be that hard.Weren't too many bad calls in the Dodger's game. A couple border line high pitches called balls, that I might have called a strike. Please remind me to take my Malaax before the game when Angel is at the plate again (I started doing that with Joe West and Laz Diaz and that has helped.

331. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Hopefully these links will work. From Amanda C: Here are Bryce Harper's plots tonight. The 4th inn K he argued And the 6th inn he started to 1B.In my view, the pitch is the 4th was a horrible call (particularly after the third pitch of the AB was called a ball). But the calls in the 6th, while wrong, were not terrible. I think Bryce's reaction, and most of ours for that matter, was influenced by how bad the call was in the 4th.

332. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:49 AM

NL — Still not buying it. Who decided to throw obvious balls? The pitcher on his own? The catcher and the pitcher? Was the manager consulted? Is there some unwritten rule that when there's an obvious bad call the pitcher can take it in his own hands to send the umpires a message? It's just not plausible and, in fact, it's kind of insulting to the Astros players. Do you think every player on the field with the Astros would agree with putting a runner on base ahead of our best power hitters in a close game? Not a chance. So who gets to decide what the appropriate way to send the message is? According to Kilgore, ALR asked Angel about the calls. Not only did he say the pitches were strikes (and the plot shows he wasn't that far off on the 6th inning pitches), but he assured ALR that he would never make bad calls to "initiate" Bryce. Even said he loves the way Bryce plays.

333. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Ted Williams and the Nats deserve a series of WaPo articles. The Sixty-Nine Mets are the exception to the over-exposure rule of NY sports. They truly were a delight and to think that the Jets had a similar tale and both got a bit of payback against Balmer for fifty-eight and fifty-nine and the Colts is pretty interesting. Wayne Garrett where are you now?

334. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:58 AM

And by the way, the Rangers and the Padres both have the curse of Bob Short around their necks. In the history of MLB there are three expansion teams that are truly cursed, the Expos, the Rangers and the Padres. The Expos have expiated their sins by moving to DC.

335. baseballswami - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM

There have been a number of series, weeks where we have said – this is it, this is the tough one. This series has been so strange and seemingly challenging. Like they hit a wall. It happens when it happens. Weird park, empty stadium, let down affter a big weekend.i guess we should be grateful it came against a team we could survive and win the series despite the struggles. Espi, Bernie, Gio with the bat. Unlikely heroes again.

336. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

WOW Gio saved everyone's behind, didn't he? Our offense should have scored more runs. Anyways, good win.

337. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

"Hawk Harrelson he doesn't mixed words"There should be a name for a malaprop that is its own example. Good one there.