Game 111: Nats at Astros

Aug 8, 2012, 8:51 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats look to make it three in a row tonight at Minute Maid Park.

They've won twice in a row in dramatic fashion in extra innings. Tonight, the Nationals will try to win a game against the Astros in regulation, and in the process improve to 25 games over .500 for the first time.

Jayson Werth returns to the lineup after sitting out last night's game with tired legs. He'll be in right field, which should provide a little less wear and tear. Bryce Harper will be responsible for covering the spacious, treacherous and hilly center field at Minute Maid Park.

Gio Gonzalez gets the start, looking to duplicate Ross Detwiler's seven-inning outing from last night and take some pressure off a Nationals bullpen that has been extended nearly to the limit in recent days.

As you know by now, I'm not in Houston for this series. Enjoy the game and the conversation. And like me, pray the final out is recorded before the stroke of midnight for a change…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at HOUSTON ASTROS
Where: Minute Maid Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Indoors

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Oy, Hernandez is behind the dish tonight.Go, GIO! Go, NATS!! It's a beautiful day for a regulation ballgame. Let's play nine (innings, that is), and may the visitors win. :-)

2. sjm308 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I wonder how the umpire rotation goes. I guess home plate moves to 3rd where there is probably less work after being behind the plate, and everyone just slides over one. Angel was at 1st last night so that makes sense.

3. sjm308 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I have never watched so many scoreboards before. Brewers just went ahead of the Reds in the top of the 9th. I really want the Pirates to have a winning season but I also want every team but ours to lose more then they win for the next month or so. I am not looking for that one game playoff, I want them to start with an away games vs. the wildcard which would mean we have finished with the best record in the NL.Go Nats!!

4. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

With Angel Hernandez behind the plate, memo to Gio: Be on your best behavior, come to a complete stop in a stretch, have your shoes shined to a nice buff, wear your cap straight, please tie all those loose hands on your glove, make sure you have shaved within a half-hour of first pitch, stand at full attention for the national anthem, do not step on the chalk lines, brush your teeth vertically in front, horizontally in the rear, floss carefully, make sure you have enough quarters for the parking meters and, most important of all, treat the home plate umpire with the utmost of respect.You have to. It's just a courtesy for blind people.

5. livernonions - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

After Mark Carlson's performance behind the plate last night, Angel Hernandez might look like the model of consistency. I'm a union guy through and through, but even I have a hard time justifying what is essentially life tenure for umpires irrespective of talent or temperment.

6. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

So the same team some posters were so concerned that the Nats struggled to take 3 of 4, the Brewers, just swept the Reds.It's not WHO you're playing, it's HOW you're playing.

7. Grandstander - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Honestly, I think Angel has been somewhat better since MLB broke up him and Joe West. Probably not the most popular of opinions, but there are way worse when it comes to calling balls and strikes and especially ejections. He hasn't ejected a single person yet this season.That being said, if Gio so much as gives him a cockeyed glance after a bad call, he will probably get squeezed harder than a lime at a tiki bar.

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Remember to vote for ESPN's web gem between Trout and Roger. with 2699 votes in now Roger is leading 53% to47% or 162 votes.Here is the linkhttp://espn.go.com/mlb/baseballtonight

9. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Gio and Kurt: Reunited and it feels so good! (Yup, had to break out the cheezy Peaches and Herb Reference)GO GIO! GO 9 INNINGS! GO BATS!! I think Werth will be the one tonight to do the damage.

10. Gonat - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Please, let's get the Offense rolling Nats!

11. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Gonat……man am I with you. Please, how about a laugher for a change?

12. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM

OK, I just pounded the strike zone for a while on ESPN for the Shark. All those people in LA are going to be getting home from work, or the beach, or wherever, later on, so we probably need to build a cushion. Keep at it, Insiders.

13. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

check Coco's response to Trout's catch.http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23719123&c_id=mlbTrout's catch was amazing, no doubt but catches like that are made more often than people realize. To be honest, I still think Bernie's catch from a year or two ago is better than any I have seen, except maybe Ichiro's wall climbing one.

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Carlson was awful last nigh, no pitcher on either side and most batters had a clue what was going to be called.Angel Hernandez can be no worse (though he has bee bad in the past).Shark now up 8% after 2857 votes. If you haven't vote yet do so.

15. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Gio going seven won't be much help if they have to play fourteen. Oh, and no mention yet of the fact that Gallaraga was a throw-in piece, with Wilkerson and Termell Sledge, from the Nats on the Soriano trade?

16. JD - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM

NatsJack, 'It's not WHO you're playing, it's HOW you're playing.' That's what I'm worried about.

17. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:46 PM

18. JD - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

We have to score some runs. Would have loved to see Werth at the top of the lineup.

19. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

As the poet Roger Miller once sang,"it’s the code of the west:heed the word of your sisters–the code of the west,make a left turn from sin.the code of the west,keep an eye on temptation, recite the quotationthat says when Satan calls your name it doesn’t matter how you played the game ‘cause all he cares about is 'did you win?'"

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM

after 2885 votes Shark up 10% About 288 botes Keep it going

21. Section 222 - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Great to see the Shark pulling away in the vote. Go Insiders!Grandstander — good point about Angel and Joe. That combination was nothing but trouble. Two guys trying to impress each other with how macho they are. How were you able to find out that Angel hasn't tossed anyone this year? Is there a website that keeps track of that? Speaking of useless but fun baseball trivia, Harper's homerun trot on Saturday was the second fastest in MLB that day at 19.25 seconds. (Espi's fifth slowest at 23.54.) I just love that. Harper still has the fastest trot of the year in MLB (16.35 seconds on May 26). The kid sets records everywhere he goes.

22. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM

sorry voyrd hit the wrong key

23. NatsNut - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM

This was a great catch *this year* but Bernadina's catch last year was by far my favorite all-out catch of all time, even after that crazy, superman year Willie Harris had in 08. I still marvel at it when I see it in the highlights.

24. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I believe that Baseball Tonight airs at 7 PM ET. Does the poll close then or continue during the broadcast?

25. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

26. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM

2959 votes still up 10%, Keep the cushion

27. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Were there also plenty of naysayers at the time who did not properly appreciate Bernie's catch? Like, were you the only one saying it at the time? :-)Zection 3, My Zofa said…I wasn't that impressed with Trout's catch at the time, and I was the first to say so. Desmond had a better play that same day.August 08, 2012 5:46 PM

28. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Dang, Trout gained a point. Back to voting.

29. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

in case people forgot, http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14762271&c_id=mlbstill love it.

30. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM

didn't know armando was expos's trade bit for soriano. I think we made good use of him then. thanks for that, sofa.

31. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Okay, back to up by 10. Gotta go ice my hand and make dinner.

32. Section 222 - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I thought Bernie's catch last night was better than the one last year. He took a bad route to that one. Plus, the game saving situation just can't be beat – -except maybe by that perfect game saving catch by the White Sox centerfielder a few years back.And let's get serious, Trout's catch was a great catch. Just not as good as the Shark's.

33. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM

The Wise catch was very cool.

34. Section 222 - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

The comments on the ESPN voting page are hilarious. CA is waking up folks, but there are now more votes from DC than from AZ. Well done!

35. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I hope in future, fans will appreciate these catches as much as we appreciate these now and the catches of previous generations.

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM

3075 votes still 10% lead

37. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Interesting info from Amanda:Amanda Comak‏@acomakChien-Ming Wang's rehab assignment has been effectively ended as he's still complaining of hip soreness. He's still on the DL.Amanda Comak‏@acomakDavey said he has to stay off of Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard tonight so Edwin Jackson is in the bullpen. It's his throw day.

38. TimDz - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

The sharks catch got a brief shout out on PTI …

39. JaneB - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM

GYFNG! May Gio have a happy reunion, and be lights out, with Kurt. May the game be a laugher on OUR side, and another defeat for the Astro's (they can win FRIDAY!). And may Jayson's legs hold up under him, brilliantly.GYFNG!

40. JaneB - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Wow! Ejax in the bullpen!

41. pRAA - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Did Comak say which member of the Nats FO kicked Wang in the hip?

42. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Yes, there is a website that tracks ejections. Here it is, you can waste a lot of time on it.ejectionshttp://www.closecallsports.com/

43. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Also on MLB Network's Intentional Talk. The sharks catch got a brief shout out on PTI …

44. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Is Wang going on the 60-day?

45. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Natslady, I think he just stays on the 15 day.

46. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM

How about the guy that broke his shoulder saving Cain's perfect game? (I think it was Cain).

47. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

NatsLady.. Mets guy for Johan's game broke his shoulder

48. The Fox - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Speaking of perfect games Armando Galarraga is the kid who pitched the 28 out perfect game.

49. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

My favorite of the comments:Nick Piecoro@nickpiecoro"Everybody has bad at-bats — except McCutchen." — Kirk Gibson

50. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Voting still going went from 3132 to 3165 the last 5 minutes. Same 10 point lead.

51. NatsLady - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Sorry, MicheleS–knew it was someone. That was a pretty fantastic catch also.

52. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM

They're also arguing about votes, i.e., why all the AZ votes for Trout? Duh, I don't know – maybe because the Angels have a rookie-league affiliate there? :-)

53. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Er, make that e.g.

54. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:33 PM

1a, those arguments are fun to read. People are so into it, it is hilarious.

55. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Now BBTN givingTrout more coverage, but the gap is now 12% keep it up Shark. 3197 votes

56. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Jackson, being the team player that he is, probably volunteered for BP duty. Would that he was as good a pitcher as he is a team-mate.

57. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I know, Faraz. I think they all need to get a grip. It's a fan vote on a sports network site. :-)All those people in LA are going to be getting home from work, or the beach, or wherever, later on, so we probably need to build a cushion. Keep at it, Insiders.Typical LA fans, showing up late. ;-)

58. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Come on Kyle, giving up a hit to Tim Hudson of all people. Braves lead 3-1 early in the game. I have no shame in rooting for Phillies this series.On the other hand, just keep winning our games.

59. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Good for EJax. Team Guy.OK, I just went and threw another inning at ESPN on Shark's behalf. Stay on top of it, and we should be fine.

60. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

is anyone having trouble watching free game of the day over at mlb site?

61. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM

And EJax is a fine pitcher, best 4th starter in MLB.

62. natsfan1a - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I sense a shark attack coming on.

63. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM

That thud you just heard was CMW's career. I hate to be negative, but this guy was a total waste of the Lerners' money. Error, Rizzo. A rare E-1.

64. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM

CMW.. No harm no foul, didn't cost us prospects, and it was the Lerner's $$$, so no one should be calling them cheap.

65. NCNatsie - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM

CMW was a perfectly reasonable gamble. If all such gambles paid off, they wouldn't be gambles.

66. MicheleS - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Shark is officially the reigning Web Gem.

67. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM

This year was a loss, but the end of last season got back quite a bit of that expense, in terms of production. Boz did a piece detailing that argument, anyway, last fall I think it was. It was worth a shot–didn't pan out. Oh well. Everything that doesn't work out isn't a fail.

68. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

NCN–excactly. Look at Ben Sheets. Who is to say in advance it will work? The injury in Spring Training was the end, I think.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Its official just saw Shark is the reigning Web gem now. Ramirez of Milwaukee was the early show number 1. A solid play that Zim dows reggularly. Remember to vote tomorrow when the new poll is up.

70. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Michele, is the voting closed, then? I don't think so.

71. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Zofa.. They named it as the reigning gem, and not Trout.

72. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM

They're still taking votes. They just took a bunch of mine, anyhow. Over 3,000 total.

73. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Maybe I'll just keep voting, to tick off the Trout fans and ESPN guy.

74. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Happy to see Edwin Jackson in the bullpen and I'm sure he's a 'team guy,' but I think his bullpen assignment is more a function of this being his regular throwing day between starts.Separate issue: Anyone else having problems with MLB.tv?

75. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

LOL good idea Sofa. I love Trout's play as much as anyone but Bernie's catch was better, given the situation and all.

76. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Eugene, MLB is tweeting that they are having problems with Radio & TV streams, they are working on it.Zofa, keep going, Kruk and Ravi think Trout was better.. Whatever.

77. natsfan1a - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

haha, I'm also going to vote to make the ESPN guys mad.

78. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

LORD Lombo.. for once Bo holds up a stop sign and he runs threw it.

79. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Thx MischeleS. At least GameDay seems to be working.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM

They have 3rd base coach for a reason. Lombo Porter says stop, you stop in the first inning. Never looked up. That is bad baserunning.

81. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Minute Maid Park sucks I think this place is cursed. All this wacky crappy things keep happening here.

82. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Why is it ALWAYS Angel Hernandez in the middle of these snafus?

83. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Lombo? Good grief.Well, nice SF by ALR.1-0 Uh-oh, what's up?Balk!Wow, curiouser and curiouser!

84. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Carp just said they are getting rid of that dumb hill in center field. good.

85. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

As Zection3 called it last night, MicheleS, "the kitchen sink of weird."Now we hear the hill is going away next year. What's going up in its place? Condos? A swimming pool? Tanning salon?

86. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Did anybody see the balk?

87. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM

This park is cursed! Just a crazy call, even if it was to our advantage. Net effect -Zimm on second.

88. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

What's going up in its place? Condos? A swimming pool?——————–Maybe a small moat, like in the steeplechase?

89. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

They are going to put statues out there where the hill is.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Galarraga almost put none in the strike zone, and we managed only 1 run. We swung at least 4 balls guys. What is that all about. Make him throw strikes. A walk is a good as a single. He will walk you if you let him.

91. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Lombo thought he was Bryce, or even Bernie. He's not. Watch your coach and obey him, especially in the 1st inning.

92. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Two statues: Biggio, and Jack in the Box.

93. A DC Wonk - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Well, Bernie scored on running through the stop sign Monday night, right? ;-)

94. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Ryan declined the honor, citing "the damn weirdness of the whole thing"

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM

By the wa he bakled the pitch before, and I was complaining they didn't call it. You ahve to come to a stop and he didn't 2 times in a row and was called on it the second time.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Did Gio not get the message? Three pitches hung in the middle three hits already. If we had just hits balls in the middle and not swung at balls not close we would ahve score a lot more.

97. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Just curious, are you typing on a phone?

98. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Mazda sponsors the Defensive Outfield screen, and Suzuki gets a free plug.

99. Santangelo for President 2012 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Sure is nice to see people in Nats gear at these away games.

100. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

NO WAY GIO!!!! HOW AWESOME!!

101. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

GIO

102. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Did what GameDay said just happen actually happen?

103. RickH - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM

GIO!!!!!!!!

104. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Who needs middle of the order thunder? Our pitchers can take care of themselves…

105. Santangelo for President 2012 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

We do have some good hitting pitchers.

106. UnkyD - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Hmmmph…. No Audio feed, on MLB At Bat…? Hmmmmph….

107. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Now I want to know the Gallaraga/Suzuki history…Gio sticking up for his boy…

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Gio makes up for his 3 bad pitches in the first with a 2 run tater. He is plus 1.We still need him to go deep into this game.

109. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Well, maybe Gio can't pitch too good tonight, but Gio sure can hit good tonight! Curiouser & curiouser!

110. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Eugene, MLB says they have the problem fixed on the streaming.

111. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Swift, now he doesn't get a warning, or risk getting himself and Davey tossed. Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

112. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Det is now on the clock for a dinger.. hmmm. when will he get his.

113. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Thx, MicheleS. For Nats game the audio is now working, but not the TV. Will keep checking.

114. Schumatrix - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I think Det needs to eat a couple sandwiches before that's possible.

115. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I like the way our pitchers protect our guys – with a BAT! Capone style!

116. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Eugene/UnkyD.. others with streaming issues:MLB‏@MLBUPDATE: Problem has been isolated and resolved. Every live feed across every device, if not already available, will be accessible shortly

117. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:49 AM

And Ryan Howard just tied it up 6-6 in the 5th inning with the Braves

118. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Off-topic but relevant: Ryan Howard's three-run shot ties Phils with Braves 6-6.

119. JaneB - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Just when I think I can't love Gio more, I find out I'm wrong. And what a fun way to find out.A few more and we will have our laugher and know we can all go to bed early and happy.

120. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Whoops. Late. Again. You have to be pretty quick off the blocks to beat Michele "Usain Bolt" S.

121. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Sunshine, it's the business level high speed internet access that I have at the house. Boss pays for it.

122. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I have never seen MicheleS and Usain Bolt in the same room. Coincidence? I think NOT!

123. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM

My family would fall down laughing at the Usain Bolt comparisons, since I run like Stras.

124. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I've been googling, but I can't find any reference to bad blood or a beef between Gallaraga and Suzuki yet. I think he's only pitched to him once before.

125. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM

If anyone cares, the crack WJFK radio team just explained that on the sacrifice vs. balk, if Adam LaRoche had gotten a hit, the hit would have superseded the balk and Mr. LaRoche would have gotten the RBI. Since it was 'just' a sacrifice, the balk took precedence (because it also advanced the runner who was on first).

126. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Galarraga. One L, two Rs.

127. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:57 AM

@Usain Bolt: Michele, you interested in Mets-Nats game a week from Sunday, Aug. 19? I got an extra ticket, in the shade, down first base line?

128. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Eugene, that and the balk doesn't cost them an out.

129. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Zat iz zo; ezactly.

130. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM

And while things are slow–The Nats have a half-off promo that includes the Braves games coming up. I got good seats, last night.TravelZoo, Nats Tix

131. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Sunshine.. I am already there! Take your mother in law.. she will love it.

132. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Such a slow tempo, the catcher is doodling in the dirt behind home plate. He has written half of Moby Dick.

133. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Wait, did Kristina just say it was "Waterless Wednesday" for the starters? WTH does that mean???

134. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

@MicheleS: No offense, but she was first call. But she's at the beach that week.

135. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

OK, I went back and listened again. She said "Waterless Wednesday."

136. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM

If Altuve jumps to reach a high liner, but is just an inch short, is it scored an error, given that the average player would have had it?

137. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM

@MicheleS: Would you at least stop by Section 134 an hour or so before the game? I'm in Row double-P. In the shade.

138. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:10 AM

ehay, no, but Ghost would probably say if you asked Altuve he'd say he should have caught it.

139. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I kid.

140. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

let this be Armando's last inning. Come on Nats.ESPN guys are talking Nats and SS during SF vs STL game.

141. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Sorry, should have used a ;-) after my Altuve question. :-)

142. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM

That called third strike on Bam-Bam almost hit the dirt.

143. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Where does Angel Hernandez park his guide dogs at the park when he works a game?

144. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Bryce should not argue with Angel, that will come back to haunt him somewhere down the line.

145. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Actually, thinking about it, it's not fair to not give an error to Altuve there, but then give one to Dunn when he can't reach down to get a ground ball. ;-)

146. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Lol Sunshine!

147. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Hernandez is liable to call a balk on Bryce next time around.Except for Laz and Country Buffet Boy Joe West, Worst Umpire Ever.

148. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Sunshine, very funny @ 9:15.

149. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

the dirt in the RH batters box.

150. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Well, it's a pretty bad strike zone both ways. So there's that.

151. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM

The role of Bob Davidson tonight is being played by Angel Hernandez.

152. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Balks all around! Put them on Angel's tab.

153. Swift Eagle - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Well, at least they didn't manufacture the run by stealing that time…

154. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I can't believe it is back to a 1 run game. The Nats have 1 clutch hit and its by the pitcher.This has to turn around. Galaragga stinks.

155. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM

FP is not having a good game. First the phantam Suzuki/Gallarando history based on a phantom "look" that Suzuki gave him. Then the ridiculous "taking one for the team" as if ALR cares about 1 RBI vs the chance for a big inning, and then forgetting about Zim's 30 game hitting streak (if he ever knew about it), speculating that the longest hitting streaks in the teams history were by Vlad or Vidro "at least in the 20s." Carp is trying not to show him up as he corrects him, but having a tough time.

156. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM

What's the story with Galarraga? He's got an all-but-perfect game, has taken no-hitters into the late innings a few times, as I recall, and yet he knocks around like the PTBNL.

157. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:31 AM

FP is tired, it's a long season, and he hasn't been able to start partying until well after midnight this series.

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

The pitchers has nothing he falls behinds most the hitters nd with good hitting counts we are flubbing away. Come on guys get hits.

159. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Hmmm, maybe FP isn't the only one partying… I'm not judging, I'm just saying.

160. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Oh, you just KNOW that Angel goes out clubbing. With those eyes, all the girls are keepers!

161. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM

umpiring is awful. But so is our hitting in this series. When do we face cole hamels again?

162. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Sure glad we got suzuk. Can't hit cant throw. HEY WAIT, EITHER CAN JESUS

163. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:43 AM

164. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Secret, please leave religion out of it. Thanks.

165. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Go nat I agree. if we split this series we will look back and say we were lucky. Time to give Bryce a day off. Play Roger

166. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I wonder if those kids asked for the Harper autographed balls or that's what the Nats offered? They should have held out for a trip to DC in October and playoff tickets!!

167. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM

11-6 ATL up now on the Fils.

168. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:46 AM

UGHH the Phils stink. Thanks for nothing.

169. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Here comes Jesus Suzuki. hope he hits him.

170. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Secret, we are still winning, so why is it that you are so negative?

171. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Just nervous I guess.

172. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I chope Gio fers bases loaded.

173. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

what you do here?

174. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

No reason to be nervous, look at our winning percentage! :-)

175. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

He's not negative, he's the sock puppet alter ego of another poster here, who's not too popular, so he splits his neg ratings. Not a bad strategy, really, if you're committed to it.

176. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… I chope Gio fers bases loaded. August 08, 2012 9:50 PM ____________________________Grand Salami time!

177. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM

hahhaha I wouldnt pitch to Gio either. His a homerun monster. LETS GO NATS.

178. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM

If I'm Gio, I'm sitting dead red with a new pitcher in.

179. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM

ehay, don't look now, but I think everybody here is drunk except us … and I'm not so sure about us.

180. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:56 AM

ok now we need a big hit. LOMBO do

181. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I think you go with Tyler Moore here, but hey, that's just me. Go get 'em Lombo!

182. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Tyler more for bryce

183. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM

awful. that was ball 2

184. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Not to be negative, but this is sad. Lombo lays an egg.Like I said before the at-bat, I would have pinch-hit. You have Izturis to play 2nd now.

185. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I'm visualizing … deep.

186. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Payback.

187. rogieshan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Angel Hernandez…

188. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Wow. That's just. Wow.

189. ehay2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Angel is powerful, Angel demands respect. Or he is just an ass.

190. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM

You called it Michele. Angel has it in for Bam-Bam. I'm surprised he hasn't run him yet.

191. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Angel hernandez has made this personal. Absolutely ridiculous. Shame on him. Those balls are unhittable and not strikes

192. Grandstander - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I officially take back what I said about Hernandez.

193. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Again harper called out on a ball outside the stike zone. The major leagues only need about 72 guys toumpire and we cannot find 72 good umpires in America? I find it shocking because about 50% are so inconsistent and have no clue how to call a strike, and MLB has no understanding that there is a problem in this area. It is fairly easy to fix if they wanted to.

194. Exposremains - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM

They are doing it on purpose. How can you miss so many chances? They have no energy.

195. Gonat - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM

That is sad. Angel Hernandez has to respect the game. That was ball 4. Ball 5 was a little closer.

196. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:05 AM

In all seriousness is there anything the Nats can do? Like reporting that to the league… I mean this is just sick. How freeeeken unprofessional can he be ALLOWED to be????? I am fuming now.

197. Jim Webster - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM

When one goes to someone's house and the host keeps offering gifts, it's only polite to accept them with thanks and grace. Nats not being very polite in Minute Maid Park.

198. Michael Dempsey - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Angel Hernandez is a freaking joke. The MLB needs to get rid of some of these "veteran" umpires. They suck.

199. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Time for Davey to go postal

200. Joe Seamhead - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM

I'm speechless, out of respect for Mark.That just wasn't fair.