Game 112: Nats at Astros

Aug 9, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Jordan Zimmermann tries to pitch the Nats to a sweep at Minute Maid Park.

It hasn't come as easy as they would have liked, but the Nationals have done just enough to win the first three games of this series in Houston and put themselves in position for a four-game sweep tonight. Really, you can't ask for anything more than that.

Jordan Zimmermann gets the ball for the finale at Minute Maid Park, hoping to create a new streak of six-inning starts after he went only five last week for the first time this season. He'll be opposed by Lucas Harrell, a pretty good right-hander who has a chance to earn his 10th win tonight — fairly impressive considering the team he plays for has only won 36 total games in 2012.

After a rough game last night that included a couple of confrontations with plate umpire Angel Hernandez and an ill-advised throw from center field in the bottom of the ninth, Bryce Harper is not expected to be in the Nationals' lineup. Probably a good time for the 19-year-old to take a physical and mental break.

I'm not in Houston, but I am en route to Phoenix as we speak for this weekend's series against the Diamondbacks. Enjoy tonight's game and the conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at HOUSTON ASTROS
Where: Minute Maid Park
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Indoors

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Roger Bernadina
1B Adam LaRoche

1. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Umm who did Dad leave the keys to the blog to? Anybody got them? We could have a real party tonight!!GO JORDAN!! GYFNG!!! Let's get this one over quick, I can't take these late nights!!!

2. Stranded_in_Philly - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Ha. Broadcast on MLB.tv. Because that went so well last night.

3. Schumatrix - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I'm gonna be at this one! Go Nats!

4. natsfan1a - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Safe travels, Mark. Will look forward to having your updates from AZ.After having speed-watched last night's game, kinda cool that Robert Fick's nephew got in the game last night. Wonder whether he has such a colorful vocabulary as his uncle. :-)

5. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Schumatrix.. drown out the Stros' fan.. it won't be hard! Plus you might end up as the Rally fan tonight!

6. Schumatrix - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I'll be sitting right behind the Stros 'pen. Maybe I'll give them grief about being able to throw a better fastball then their collective group.

7. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Come join Zofa (if he's able to make it) and me at Duffy's (2106 Vermont Ave., NW) anytime after 7:45 pm. My Groupon will cover the first $40 of beer and/or coke that we order. NL — Come after work. pRAA come so when we argue we can know who we're arguing with. Everyone else, come because watching three straight games from Minute Maid Park on your small screens is more than enough and because we need to wave the flag for our national pasttime and our home team which are apparently in competition with an NFL exhibition game tonight.

8. MicheleS - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

We need a duffy's night on a weekend, I can't shelp it in from Loudoun. Darn it!!!

9. JD - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Sec 222. I'd come but it's a 4.5 hour drive.

10. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

222, I work in NoVa, the earliest I could get there would be around 10:15. Sorry, maybe next time.

11. bowdenball - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

You should give them grief about playing for the Astros.

12. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

From the Tweeter:Nationals PR ‏@NationalsPRDavey's Lineup-Thu @ HOU/G112: Lombo 2b, Bernadina cf, Zimmerman 3b, LaRoche 1b, Morse lf, Werth rf, Espinoza ss, Suzuki c, Zimm'nn RHP.3m Andrew Lang ‏@Allstars_S2@NationalsPR Espinosa with a Z! Z happy!

13. Grandstander - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM

14. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Rg3 or the nats???? I am completely pumped that for the first time in 46 years I could care less about the Refskins. BTW will trade skins ticks for postseason MLB.

15. NatsLady - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Isn't Harrell the one who beat ATL in the Stros series?

16. Secret wasian man - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Angel Hernandez at 3rd tonight. I wish I had front row seats 3rd base side.

17. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I definitely agree a weekend would be preferable. Unfortunately, having planned my vacation to not conflict with Nats home games, I'm not here for any away game weekends between now and when that $40 Groupon expires. Thanks for the regrets though, and I hope a few of you in DC will drop by. Otherwise Zofa and I will be drinking a lot of beer. And JD, a 4.5 hour drive is a lame excuse. :-)

18. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM

The Fox posted a link to one of these, but we've got an extra hour to kill tonight anyway, and these are way better than anything MASN is tossing up.Oakland's 2011 promos on YoutubeLook for the Gio/Zuke dunktank, and Hammer's Rohrschach test.

19. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

222, in addition to the Packers game, they'll have the DC pointyball guys. I'm thinking raincheck.

20. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Thanks Zofa. I'll be there with some other friends if you change your mind.

21. alexva - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM

If there was any discussion of how JZim's shoulder felt during and after his last start I missed it. Anyone?

22. Section 222 - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

See, I'm so focused on the Nats, I didn't even realize the Skins were playing tonight. Hah!

23. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Thank YOU, for the offer. I may fall by for a few minutes, depending on how Currently Strawberry Blonde Cubs Fan Wife is inclined.

24. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Don't know that there was any in particular, Alex. I didn't see any.

25. Scooter - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Great idea, 222. Sorry I'll miss it. Confound this protracted and luxurious beach interlude!

26. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

27. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

thanks sofa for that link. nice videos. I like seattle ones also.

28. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Beach interlude? We'll be expecting some shark autographs when you return!————————"Chuckie fick!" should be a saying, like "Semper Fi!"

29. natsfan1a - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I like it. Let's try to work that one in somewhere.

30. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

It could be a non-specific exclamation of surprise, like "Zooks!" or "Dog of Flanders!!"

31. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Or line somebody just yelled, "Pork Chops!"No, wait, that's dinner. BBL

32. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

33. Drew - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I'm going to watch the Nats, but I will peek at RGIII's first snaps as a pro.The thing that is so exciting about Harper and Griffin is that both of these guys seem to be the total package. Beyond their great athletic talent, both are sharp guys who were very good students academically. As we all know by now, both come from terrific families that gave them support, discipline and values. Seems there is great reason to hope that both will reach their potential.

34. Old Wino - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Bryce will be batting late in the game with the perfect attitude. Shwack! You heard it here first. ;) Sweep?

35. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Don't know if anyone has commented on this, but it's from Chase Hughes' short article describing the details of Cole Hamel's new contract:Signing bonus: $6 million2013: $19.5 million2014: $22.5 million2015: $22.5 million2016: $22.5 million2017: $22.5 million2018: $22.5 million2019: $19 million option or $6 million buyout.Substitute 'Strasburg' for 'Hamels' and you get an idea of why it's so important for the MASN reset to go the Nats' way.

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Show your Natitue and vote for the Shark he is up about 400 votes with an hour to gohttp://espn.go.com/mlb/baseballtonightThe other two games Harper hasn't started he had a big part in the 9th inning.

37. Section 222 - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM

The Beer is cold at Duffy's and the Redskins crowd is small. Two TVs at the bar tuned to MASN2. Come on over and have a brew on me.

38. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM

On my way

39. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM

222,Tempting, but…

40. A DC Wonk - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM

222, what a great offer and great idea. Have lots of fun! My excuse is that I am in OBX for the week.

41. Grandstander - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Am I seeing something that's not there or did Zimm just bean Moore as retaliation for Galaraga beaning Suzuki last night?1B open, lefty power hitter, righty 8-hole guy next, 2 outs and he hits the guy in the knee? It also looked like the exact pitch he hit Hamels with in retaliation for Hamels hitting Bryce.

42. Knoxville Nat - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM

222, thanks for the offer but it's a bit long of a trip from Knoxville(TN)!

43. slidell2 - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Looks like its going to be another long waiting-for-the-shoe-to-drop night out at Minute Maid.

44. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM

222, I'm at the night job. Am with you in spirit, though. Please order a bourbon and Maalox for me in absentia.

45. NatsNut - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM

46. Nattering Nat - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Was easy to watch RGIII way before the Nats game started.Small crowd online tonight. I want to test something out with whoever is here. I've been looking for an apt nickname for the Nats for some time now–Amazin' Nats is what they are, but that moniker was taken by the Mets 25 years ago.As I watched this inning, single after single, contrasted with all the home runs at Nats Park last week, a nickname just came to me—What do you think about the JuggerNats? You know, juggernaut is what they are becoming, kind of, anyway. Go JuggerNats! Thought I'd give it a try.

47. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Great job by the middle of the order.Werth robbed by the hill, with an assist by JMax.With the way JZimm is pitching two should do it.

48. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Sounds good to me.I'll second it and we can pass it 2-0,fitting right in with the game.

49. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Actually Nattering NatMake it 3 votes in favor of JuggerNats.My wife loved it and said FP will be using it by the 6th.Guess the boys need to score another run to keep up with the vote.

50. Nattering Nat - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Thanks! You don't think this game will end up a 2-0 "laugher", do you?And I know the Nats aren't a real juggernaut yet. A real juggernaut wouldn't induce so many heart tremors. But by next year…..? I like to be a bit ahead of the curve. Been waiting since 2005, or really, since 1960, so I'd love to root for the JuggerNats.

51. Nattering Nat - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Hey, great Idea, I think I'll tweet FP, see what happens!

52. Nattering Nat - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Gee, that was easy–I just tweeted FP. Now the rest is up to the Gods.

53. hiramhover - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Why is Zim watching fastballs over the middle of the plate? Did that last night too.

54. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM

55. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

how stupid is that hill? who designed that park? what were they thinking? i know late response but geez, wassup with that hill?

56. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM

oops, they also made nats park, and oriole park actually. pretty much all mlb parks.

57. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Morse homers off of Storey.

58. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Faraz Shaikh said… how stupid is that hill? who designed that park? what were they thinking?Answers:1. Texas-sized stupid. The kitchen sink of weird.2. Salvador Dali, with an assist from Rube Goldberg.3. The same thing Nook Logan was thinking in 2007 when he made the "Where was he going?" play for the final out.

59. Nattering Nat - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM

OK, we have the 3 runs to go with the 3 votes. A shameless way to solicit more votes, but anyone for 10? 4? Votes=runs, a la djinFL.

60. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Nothing better than gorse-hacking indoors!

61. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Morse voices his approval Nattering Nat.If they are not careful we may have a laugher.

62. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM

63. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:55 AM

The Houston park was (and remains) and over-reaction to the Astrodome, where home runs went to die and pitchers thrived. Saw my first half dozen MLB games there when the Astros included players like Jimmy Wynn, Doug Rader (a superb third baseman), Cesar Cedeno, no-hit/great-field — until he lost that finger — Roger Metzger, Larry Dierker, and Don Wilson (RIP).

64. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM

wow eleven strikeouts for JZ. how cool is that!

65. RickH - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Great night for JZim.

66. UnkyD - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Actually… Nomar may have gotten there first?————-Since we're testing ideas, how about a 'self-tightening batting glove' so hitters don't have to step out of the box and re-tigthen after every pitch?I believe, but I'm not sure, we have Derek Jeter to blame for that.Any inventors out there?August 09, 2012 9:35 PM

67. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM

What a weird series — indoor baseball takes a lot away from the game, I think.that hill as got to go!!

68. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Zimmermann is The Beast

69. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM

To Eugene: Remember when they moved the fences 'in' at the Astrodome and it was still a moon shot to hit a homer?

70. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Sorry no place to park. Drove around for 1/2 hour. Going home.

71. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:22 AM

NatsFan…,I think that was after I stopped following them so closely, but I do remember that Nolan Ryan — in his first game as an Astro (and first game back in the NL after a fair number of years — managed to hit a homer. I'm guessing the fences had been moved in a bit for that.

72. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Tonight would have been a great night to have let Zimmerman go another inning or two.

73. Unknown - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:28 AM

still at work so havent checeked in; how many pitches did JZ throw tonight?

74. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Morse votes again!

75. JaneB - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Beast mode! And JZimm went 86itches, I believe….under 90 anyway.

76. Drew - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Wow, is he bringing the Gorse hackage tonight?

77. JaneB - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Ah! Gorse hacking! Makes me smile. And Danny is doing well tonight, too! Also makes me smile.

78. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:32 AM

@Unknown I believe he was at 87 pitches.Very effective when you figure there were 11 strikeouts.FP said there were bigger innings to pitch in September, and thats why they pulled him.

79. UnkyD - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:32 AM

So the Gorse is pretty well uprooted, at this joint…. Damn Vandals!!!

80. Nats212 - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Danny is having a lot of errors at. SS, does anyone know why?

81. Tcostant - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM

To many side arm throws.

82. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM

OK, OK, OK. It is officially garbage time when Robert Fick's little nephew Chuckie comes on to pitch.I guess he can't throw, either.Can Nook Logan's nephew be far behind?

83. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:53 AM

RZim likes JuggerNats.

84. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:56 AM

to too two 2 tuLearn them, remember them. Shout out to Patrick Chocolate–Welcome to NatsInsider.

85. Section 222 - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:56 AM

NL — did you head to Duffy's? So sorry. Just got home. Zofa and I did it right, and recruited a new Nats enthusiast for the blog. Grew up in DC but now lives mostly in NY. Lives to see the Mets lose. Very funny.Duffy's is a very hospitable place for Nats fans, and the food is fine, though the menu is very limited. We should definitely do a meetup there before the end of the year in late October. :-)

86. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Nice game so far. Dare I say, "normal."?

87. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Yes, I was at Duffy's about 9:45, drove around for about 1/2 hour, no place to park, came home.

88. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:59 AM

FWIW, I do not like "juggernats." Too … too.

89. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Nats212==> FP and Carp didn't think that last one was an error. A couple of Danny's errors came from overthrowing, ball sailed away from LaRoche.

90. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Storen not showing good body language and McCatty looks, well, intent.

91. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM

NL, sorry to hear that. There's lots. Sorry we couldn't help.

92. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM

sweet sweep

93. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Wow, RZ, great play!!! Storen looks mighty relieved! Lovin' it.

94. Swift Eagle - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Curly W #69 is in the books….TCB Baby…

95. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM

So… Zuke. How do you like the new job?

96. Nattering Nat - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Thanks, djinFL, but it ended up Nats 5, votes for JuggerNats 3, which was at least a lot closer than the game was! A laugher after all!

97. JaneB - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM

A short game and a sweet way to end it. Happy getaway day!I hope the Astros can win tomorrow.And tomorrow we get Mark back.

98. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:05 AM

SWEEP! SWEEP! SWEEP!"WOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011)

99. Scooter - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Yippee.

100. Swift Eagle - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Time for approx 21 more hours of NI posts that start "I know they won, but…."

101. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM

FWIW, I didn't think that was an error, either.

102. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM

No stress (except Storen, a little), no mess. First relatively easy game since Sunday.

103. djinFl. - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I had a great time, hope you enjoyed it as much.Until tomorrw-

104. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Eagle, how can there be ANY complaints? JZ was great, bullpen was fine. Good offense. What more do you want???????

105. Nattering Nat - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Zection 3, that's ok, at least you commented. They can't all be winners. In fact, very few can. They are not really a juggernauty team, anyway–yet, despite having the best record in MLB.

106. Section 222 - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Holy crap Usain Bolt is fast.

107. Swift Eagle - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Haha…It won't be ME complaining…

108. Drew - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Since July 22, when Ian Desmond went to the DL, the Nats are 15-4.It's an amazingly resilient club.If the Nats merely split their remaining 50 games, they will finish 94-68. Wow.

109. waddu eye no - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:15 AM

did that game seem short to you?

110. Section 222 - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Did everyone see that DeRosa was in the line on the field for congrats. So he's traveling with the team. Glad to see him, and glad he's not on the 25 man.

111. A DC Wonk - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Wow. Just three hits and 11 Ks (with no walks). What a dominating performance.

112. Gonat - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Wonk, Davey used our words here "Attack Mode". That's what we have been saying with these starters that they have the stuff to attack the zone.Great way to end this sweep!

113. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Can't believe I missed it. DVR when I get home. Let me tell you about being in Philly. They seem to be totally ignoring baseball. Newscast– 1 minute of bare bones info, no emotion. All Eagles, not even seeing hats or anything. They have bailed on their team . So much fun reading your posts during the game when I finally get back to the hotel. Sounds like JZim was on tonight. Too bad Davey can't really unleash him. Much less stress tonight?

114. Gonat - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM

baseballswami, JZim dominated. 3 hits and only 1 was a out of reach. After the 1st inning, he looked like he had no-hit stuff.

115. Gonat - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Grandstander said… This Harrell kid is no slouch. He hasn't given up more than 2 runs since July 3 and when he played us back in April, he posted 6.2 IP giving up only 1 run. He's not too efficient with his pitches though, frequently getting past 100 in the 5th, so lets work those counts and get into that sweet Houston 'pen! August 09, 2012 5:31 PM ___________________________________You really nailed it.

116. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Looks like JMax absolutely robbed Werth. Saw a few highlights. The Beast crushed that first one. Drew still shaky? Nice to keep that shutout for JZ. Glad you all had an easier game tonight! Fans deserved a breather.

117. SonnyG10 - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Well, this game wasn't a laugher, but it was relatively stress free and easy to watch. In spite of our struggles the three previous games, we SWEEP!!!!!!!

118. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:07 AM

@Swami: Drew looked OK. Fanned first guy on a wicked slider. Then toyed with J-Max and walked him. McCatty was twitching. Clipp started warming in a hurry. Fell behind on the third guy but induced a game-ending DP.No save, but it wasn't really a Maalox moment either.

119. rogieshan - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:15 AM

120. Gonat - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:19 AM

rogieshan said… Have to keep reminding myself: If Greinke hadn't balked, JZimmermann, DStoren & DEspinosa would be wearing KCRoyals unis right now. August 10, 2012 12:15 AM _______________________________Who was the 4th player in that rumored trade?How's about Greinke in Anaheim? Looks like a #4 pitcher so far.

121. peric - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:19 AM

122. peric - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Yep, with all the prospects they collected from the trades the Astro's may have the best prospect laden system in baseball. They look to be pretty darned good in the near term.

123. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Don't know what I would do without you guys on the road. Filling in all the insider blanks. Seriously- I will be doing some serious DVR watching this weekend. How about our rotation plus one? Six wins, starting with Lannan again.

124. rogieshan - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Gonat said…"Who was the 4th player in that rumored trade?"————————————————I think it was Steve Lombardozzi, although I believe Derek Norris' name was thrown in there as well.

125. rogieshan - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Peric,You must be thrilled to read the article Byron Kerr wrote about Rivero and his possible September call-up?

126. Schumatrix - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Got back from the game a little while ago. Astros fans were great, definitely better than the East Coast trash that I've seen find its way into Nats Park. I was sitting at the wall directly behind Jayson. By the 9th inning, the Astros fans were starting to heckle him, to which I yelled out, "It's okay, Jayson, their team's in last place." It got a good reaction from my section. I've got to stand up for my Nats even on enemy turf. I've been to quite a few Astros games over the past few years, and I've never seen a ball hit as far as the one Morse put out. That was incredible. I had been 0-6 when the Nats visited Houston until today. Glad to have that turn around with a sweep!

127. sjm308 - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:08 AM

Of course Peric would rather have Bernadina than Werth. god forbid he would have to admit he might be wrong on one of his evaluations (bench bat etc etc) Peric – Houston is the perfect team for you, go root for all those prospects they have. Forget about the first place Washington Nationals and all the real players that are here right now. On to ArizonaGo Nats!!

128. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:09 AM

Schumatrix, you do realize that WE ARE that "East Coast trash" you speak of, don't you?Chuckie Fick, dude.

129. sjm308 - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:09 AM

Just in case he responds, let him know I am on my way to my evening nap

130. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:11 AM

"They look to be pretty darned good in the near term."I was just about to ask, what is "near term"? Certainly not this year or next year? Maybe 2015? Three years from now?

131. Schumatrix - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:25 AM

132. Gonat - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Schumatrix said… I don't consider Washingtonians East Coast trash. I lived there for 14 years and go to school there currently. I was referring to the NY/Boston/Philly fans of the world. But thanks for being so courteous. August 10, 2012 1:25 AM __________________________________Just refer to them as North-East trash!

133. Gonat - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM

peric said… Looks like Michael Morse is starting to break out … and this is probably perfect timing. Better to have the whole healthy Morse now. Now, if BHarp can get back to being hitterish … right now I think I'd rather have a Shark in my outfield than a powerless Werth. August 10, 2012 12:19 AM _________________________________Powerless Werth? Did you not see that 420 foot HR that wasn't on the smash to CF that JMax caught?Its a HR in every park but 2.

134. Gonat - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Peric, the problem in the outfield isn't Jayson Werth right now, its Bryce Harper. Last night was the most production the Nats have received in the 2 hole since July 23rd.Is it possible for you to objectively look at simple stats like Jayson Werth had hits in 9 straight games until last night.

135. Gonat - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Here's Kurt Suzuki on Jordan Zimmermann: “The impressive part is he goes right at you. He ain't trying to trick you. He ain't trying to nibble. Here it is, hit it. That's the kind of mentality you need.”Looks to me like Kurt Suzuki is quickly on board with Coach McCatty's pitch to contact philosophy.

136. natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Nice link, sec3. I kinda liked this one.

137. natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM

As in "he could throw a pork chop past a wolf"? :-)Zection 3, My Zofa said… Or line somebody just yelled, "Pork Chops!" No, wait, that's dinner. BBL August 09, 2012 6:30 PM

138. natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Juggernats? Eh, not so much. I applaud the effort, although I also think nicknames are best left to develop on their own. But that's just me.I love rally kittehs, NatsNut! :-)NatsNut said… Hey 222, wish I could come, I love Duffy's. Maybe next time. I'm currently watching the game with my recent charge – a purry rally kitty named Moo. ;) August 09, 2012 9:07 PM

139. natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM

In other Fick-related news, evidently his buddy Dmitri and nephew are on the Tweeter. Not sure about the F-man himself.

140. Scooter - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Rally kitties rock.

141. Scooter - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

And in case you were wondering (and judging by the attendance, you weren't), my suggestion is just to not refer to anyone as "trash." You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

142. fast eddie - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Gonat:Agree on Werth's power after that 420-ft. out.How do you work the Shark into the OF mix?Is it unthinkable to play him twice a week and rotate with the other OFs? Harper's hitting .143 since the ASB but Davey seems reluctant to mess with his confidence level.

143. natsfan1a - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Imagine that. :-)On a game note, after watching the final innings: This old person got the plastics reference, Bob, and yes, this old person was asleep, FP. :-)The Morse country song lyrics need some work.Scooter said…You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.August 10, 2012 8:34 AM