Aug 9, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Gio Gonzalez rounds the bases after hitting his first career home run.
Davey Johnson asked a lot of Gio Gonzalez last night in Houston. Throw at least seven innings to give an exhausted bullpen a break. No, wait, make that a complete game. On 117 pitches, two shy of your career-high. With the tying run on third and the winning run on second during the bottom of the ninth.
Oh, and while you're at it, would you mind clubbing your first career home run as well?
If it sounds like too much to ask of one player in one night, it probably was. Sometimes, though, it takes a brilliant (and gutsy) individual performance to carry a ballclub on his shoulders to a victory that wouldn't have been possible without him.
And in that regard, Gonzalez really showed the Nationals something during yet another tense win over the hapless Astros, this time by aRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
FRI: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Brewers at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Brewers at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Halfway in, Nationals are finally hitting their stride (VIDEO)
- Nationals trounce Phillies, 10-3, roll into All-Star break
- Nationals reliever Tyler Clippard added to All-Star roster
- Roark, Nats aim to end first half on a high note in Philly
- Zimmerman delivers latest game-winner for Nats
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Phillies 3 (10)
- Zimmermann likely to avoid DL with biceps strain
- Strasburg faces Hamels in pitching showdown
- Nats have zero All-Stars after Zimmermann replaced
- Harper homers but still battling out of slump