Aug 10, 2012, 10:16 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg makes his first career start at Chase Field tonight.
PHOENIX — Hello from the Valley of the Sun, where the temperature as I type this is 112 degrees. But factor in the 10 mph breeze, and the wind chill is only 108. No, seriously, that's according to The Weather Channel.
Fortunately, the roof is closed here at Chase Field for the opener of the Nationals' three-game series against the Diamondbacks. This will be Stephen Strasburg's first-ever start here, though I do recall a similarly scorching-hot afternoon two years ago when the then-rookie pitched a simulated game with the roof open here while on the DL with shoulder inflammation.
For those who care to keep track of such things, Strasburg's innings count stands at 127 1/3 entering this game. Which means he's probably got six, maybe seven, more starts until the Nats pull the plug on his season.
Strasburg should have Bryce Harper behind him tonight after the slumping rookie was held out of last night's finale in Houston. One other note of interest: Michael Morse no longer has an 18-game hitting streak on the line. MLB today reversed a scoring decision from the Nationals' Aug. 2 game against the Phillies, changing a Morse single to an error on shortstop Jimmy Rollins. So he's currently riding a seven-game streak, not quite as impressive.
I made the trek west to the desert for this series, so look for plenty of updates and analysis live from the ballpark…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 9:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts