Aug 10, 2012, 10:16 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg makes his first career start at Chase Field tonight.
PHOENIX — Hello from the Valley of the Sun, where the temperature as I type this is 112 degrees. But factor in the 10 mph breeze, and the wind chill is only 108. No, seriously, that's according to The Weather Channel.
Fortunately, the roof is closed here at Chase Field for the opener of the Nationals' three-game series against the Diamondbacks. This will be Stephen Strasburg's first-ever start here, though I do recall a similarly scorching-hot afternoon two years ago when the then-rookie pitched a simulated game with the roof open here while on the DL with shoulder inflammation.
For those who care to keep track of such things, Strasburg's innings count stands at 127 1/3 entering this game. Which means he's probably got six, maybe seven, more starts until the Nats pull the plug on his season.
Strasburg should have Bryce Harper behind him tonight after the slumping rookie was held out of last night's finale in Houston. One other note of interest: Michael Morse no longer has an 18-game hitting streak on the line. MLB today reversed a scoring decision from the Nationals' Aug. 2 game against the Phillies, changing a Morse single to an error on shortstop Jimmy Rollins. So he's currently riding a seven-game streak, not quite as impressive.
I made the trek west to the desert for this series, so look for plenty of updates and analysis live from the ballpark…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 9:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series