Aug 11, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats look for their eighth straight win tonight at Chase Field.
PHOENIX — Among the many remarkable aspects of the Nationals' season has been their ability to actually play better baseball on the road than at home. Indeed, this team has gone 38-21 away from South Capitol Street, the best record in the majors. That also includes wins in 11 of their last 12 road games and seven in a row.
So they'll look to make it eight straight (both on the road and overall) tonight in Game 2 of their series with the Diamondbacks. They will, however, face a legitimate challenge in this one, with Wade Miley on the hill. The left-hander has quietly put together a fantastic rookie season, earning an All-Star nod and putting himself perhaps in the driver's seat for NL Rookie of the Year honors.
One of Miley's chief competitors, Bryce Harper, won't face him tonight. Davey Johnson explained last night he wanted to give Tyler Moore a chance to start a game, especially against a lefty opponent. So Moore is in left field tonight, with Harper on the bench. That also bumps Michael Morse to right field and and Jayson Werth to center field, plus the leadoff spot. The last time Werth hit atop the Nats' lineup? the day before Davey Johnson took over as manager last June.
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 8:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
CF Jayson Werth
SS Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion