Game 114: Nats at Diamondbacks

Aug 11, 2012, 8:52 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats look for their eighth straight win tonight at Chase Field.

PHOENIX — Among the many remarkable aspects of the Nationals' season has been their ability to actually play better baseball on the road than at home. Indeed, this team has gone 38-21 away from South Capitol Street, the best record in the majors. That also includes wins in 11 of their last 12 road games and seven in a row.

So they'll look to make it eight straight (both on the road and overall) tonight in Game 2 of their series with the Diamondbacks. They will, however, face a legitimate challenge in this one, with Wade Miley on the hill. The left-hander has quietly put together a fantastic rookie season, earning an All-Star nod and putting himself perhaps in the driver's seat for NL Rookie of the Year honors.

One of Miley's chief competitors, Bryce Harper, won't face him tonight. Davey Johnson explained last night he wanted to give Tyler Moore a chance to start a game, especially against a lefty opponent. So Moore is in left field tonight, with Harper on the bench. That also bumps Michael Morse to right field and and Jayson Werth to center field, plus the leadoff spot. The last time Werth hit atop the Nats' lineup? the day before Davey Johnson took over as manager last June.

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 8:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Indoors

CF Jayson Werth
SS Danny Espinosa
RF Michael Morse

1. baseballswami - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Thank you so much for talking about something other than you-kno-who and how many you-know-whats he will pitch. This should be interesting with Werth leading off, TyMo in left, EJax with Suzuki – is this the first game for them? Challenging pitcher on the mound.

2. MicheleS - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM

3. MicheleS - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Swami, i suggest you get ear plugs because every time I turn on TV or radio all I hear about is that subject. That being said..GYFNG.. Come on Edwin! Bats – keep the line moving around the bases! Would love to see some early runs off of Miley

4. Brother Juniper - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Glad to see Dale Scott back.

5. baseballswami - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

MicheleS – I have a pretty quick trigger on the mute button. Can you even imagine how much worse it's going to get? Although- if that's what they are going to focus on, the rest of the team can fly under the radar. Sometimes I feel that other players are not getting the attention they deserve, but it's probably fine with them. Same with Bryce- let the spotlight be on Trout. It will give Bryce some space.

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

After last night, Zagurski was released.

7. MicheleS - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Ghost,does that me no lefty's in the Dbacks pen? I thought he was the only one.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

This is a nice looking Lineup against LHP. Go Werth! Take lots of pitches against Miley and hit him often and hard!!!!

9. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

This kid Miley can pitch, he's been mentioned in ROY discussions. Take nothing for granted!

10. SonnyG10 - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Come on boys, lets get the rest of their BP released after tonight! GYFNG!!!

11. baseballswami - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

So MASN 2 shows pregame at 6:30 and game at 7:00 – that's not right is it?

12. peric - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Danny batting second which might be a good spot for him if not for the league leading K's. Rough sophomore year for Espinosa … kind of frustratig rookie year for Harper and Lombardozzi. Only rookie T-Mo is hitting like he belongs.

13. natsfan1a - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Could we perhaps add to the "do not talk" list speculation about which Nat will or will not get a WS ring? Because there's a lot of baseball left to play, both regular season and post season. I'm just saying.Thank you so much for talking about something other than you-kno-who and how many you-know-whats he will pitch.Also glad that Dale Scott seems to have come out okay after taking that blow to the head.On a game note: Go, Edwin! Go, NATS BATS!!My (Verizon) MASN 2 also shows a 7 PM start time. It's happened before that they had the wrong start time there and didn't correct it. In such cases, I just make sure I bracket time slots after the back end of the *listed* broadcast period if I'm recording to watch later.Nongame note: Thanks to MicheleS for the heads up on the Papa John's pizza code. Had some for dinner at half-price. Nice.

14. baseballswami - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I don't know, Peric – I kind of think Lombo is having a pretty good year. Playing much more than anyone thought, playing at his old position, leading off. Lots more experience than he probably hoped. I think he has handled himself well.

15. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Rings is easy. If anybody gets one, everybody gets one. Don't you people watch Pawn Stars?

16. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

17. MicheleS - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Zofa.. someday I will hand you a beer.

18. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I, too, think Lombo is doing just fine..269/.317/.353, OPS+ 82, which is not bad for a rookie bench guy who already has as many or more plate appearances than they thought he might get.

19. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM

: )

20. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I was thinking about the Gio/Suzuki thing. Some pitchers are more dependent on their catcher than others, but if Suzuki is what Gio claims, he will improve every pitcher, and it won't matter if he ever gets a hit. He'll get rid of the "nibbling" that Davey hates because pitchers will be fearless. Fear–more than injury or exhaustion or heat–is the pitcher's enemy.

21. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Was noticing still not many votes from the area for Roger, though he has a nice lead it should be more voters. 8 in Virginia (including me) and 6 in Maryland.Vote athttp://espn.go.com/mlb/baseballtonight

22. Doc - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Now that you brought up Suzuki's name, NatsLady, it's good to see JFlo in the lineup.You must know more about this Suzuki cat than I do. He's hitting at Mendoza levels, and he's 0 for 7 in CS's.Wad's he got that our boy JFlo hasn't got? Don't think KSuk is as good as JFlo at balls in the diret, hitting, or toughness behind the plate.I'm willing to be enlightened, just don't quote Ladson on the matter!

23. MicheleS - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Manassas, I am having issues voting the clear history doesn't seem to be working. Wonder if they figured out I was stuffing the ballot box

24. Brother Juniper - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM

"Fear–more than injury or exhaustion or heat–is the pitcher's enemy."Hear Hear! And fear leads to throwing more pitches, which lead to injury and exhaustion and make the heat seem worse. I always recall with pleasure some of those Greg Madux complete games when he threw very few pitches. Fearless.

25. natsfan1a - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM

26. natsfan1a - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Yeah, thanks. I do realize that it starts at 8:00 ET. As noted, I bracket a time slot after the *listed* broadcast slot in cases like this so that my recording won't end before the game does (which my awake state will most likely do). Just a little recording tip. :-)Zection 3, My Zofa said…My (Verizon) MASN 2 also shows a 7 PM start time.Sometimes, instead of running a delayed broadcast, they do an advance broadcast of the game an hour ahead, so they don't run so late on the East Coast.August 11, 2012 6:44 PM

27. pRAA with the ISO - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

28. baseballswami - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Still reserving judgement on Suzuki. Not against him, just waiting to see. Small sample size. I don't like some of the turning on JFlo that I have heard. He might not be Pudge, but he sure got us this far.

29. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM

30. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I don't know if I can relate this to your experience. But, here goes. A few times I have been privileged to be accompanied by a master. Once at an audition, where I had not brought my own accompanist, the husband of the director was doing the job. I plunked down one of my favorite arias, one that I hardly ever used for auditions because it's in a difficult key and obscure language (Czech). I'd never met this guy before, but I gave it a shot because I really wanted the job. Within two measures, I knew it was a safe choice, and within four, I knew I could do whatever I wanted. Man, I went to town. Got into "character," bent the rhythm, whatever. It was a blast. (I got the job). Afterwards, I asked him, how did you know what I was going to do? I didn't even know what I was going to do until I did it. I thought he would say something snide like, Oh, all sopranos do that in that spot. But he didn't. He said, I was breathing with you.Since then, that's what I tell my piano students when I teach them how to accompany. You have to have all the technical skills, and then you have to breathe with the singer. So, your great catchers, then not only call a good game, block sliders in the dirt, etc. They know what will work for the pitcher on a given day, even in a particular at-bat. When Gio's curve wasn't working in Colorado, he needed help, but he didn't get it, at least not from the catcher. Gio is one of those who is very catcher-dependent. He doesn't shake off pitches because it interrupts his flow–he wants to focus on execution. So he'll pitch what the catcher calls for, but he'll be frustrated later.I think Davey, not being a pitcher, only had a sense of what it means, but not the actual experience. It's no coincidence that Gio went nine and was still mentally sharp enough to make that backup catch at third. He wasn't tired and he wasn't stressed. His catcher was breathing with him. I don't know if it only works for Gio, or if Suzuki can be that for other pitchers. Remains to be seen. But I have not forgotten Pudge's words, "It's not the catcher's job to hit."Best I can do.

31. PFB Balls of Fire - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Thanks Natslady, interesting post.

32. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Michele, not that I would condone vote tampering, but purely for research purposes, I checked, and toggling in and out of private browsing, in FF, Chrome, Safari, or Rockpile (probably IE, too, didn't try that) does seem to work.

33. Doc - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Thanks for your very good efforts NatsLady. When interviewed on MLB a few weeks ago, before Suszki came to town, Gio was superlative in his praise for JFlo, I mean he really showed great appreciation of his efforts and further suggested the whole staff felt positive about JFlo. Gio and JFlo also hang out on the golf course together. Can't believe that JFlo doesn't call the same game that Gio wants called.Hence my confusion.

34. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I don't know if it will work for Clip. Clip is not one to trust catchers. It could be ego, or it could be bad experiences. Again, remains to be seen.

35. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

HEY MARK–Was that Harper's dad in the Harper jersey at the game last night (or was that the night before last?)? I thought MASN showed him coming out of the Nats locker room tunnel in the dugout just before the game, too.

36. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Speaking strictly for myself, I'm very dubious of these "whispers" about pitchers not liking Flores' calls.

37. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

JFlo probably does call a good game. And Gio's never going to destroy his relationship with his catcher, that's death. For a couple of years had an accompanist I praised to the sky, nourished her, etc., etc. I got her jobs, helped her with English and other life problems, you name it. She was a great pianist, a concert pianist. Eventually I broke with her and got a professional accompanist, nowhere near as skilled a pianist–but I instantly became a better singer, because that was her job, and she knew it and she was good at it.

38. PFB Balls of Fire - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Will the Braves ever lose a game?

39. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

The funny thing is, I didn't know until I got the second person that a good pianist is not the same as a good accompanist. I had had some pretty rotten accompanists before that, and just having someone who could play was a step up. I just didn't know there was another step up.

40. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM

PFB==> good question!!! Guess Santana's not going the no-hitter route today.

41. MicheleS - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Not sure if anyone saw the article last year in Sports Illustrated about Chooch Ruiz (yea I know, the enemy). I can't find it on SI, but it was a full length article about him. And it was excellentThe important thing I took from the article is how he becomes the pitcher for each game. He gets into their frame of mind and tends to each pitchers needs. He is their best friend, brother, shrink, whatever they need for that game and how he totally supresses his needs for that of his pitcher.That is what I want out of my catcher. With our staff we need that for them. If the catcher can or cannot hit, I really don't care. The most important thing is the care, development, and feeding (ROSS) of our pitching staff. The staff is so young and they need someone behind the plate that they trust. Anything else we get out of them is just gravy.

42. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

MicheleS. Exactly. The second accompanist knew if I was tired, heck, she knew if my gown didn't fit correctly. She knew if I was nervous or confident or if I hadn't spent enough time in preparation. She knew if I lost my place in the music, and she knew how to get me back on track. I paid her a lot and it was worth it.

43. baseballswami - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Speaking of Lombo- did anyone see the graphic on pre- game? Games with hits since July 15. Lombo 22, morse 25. Right up there in the top 5. Several triples, a couple games with 4 hits. Good kid.

44. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

And you can say pitchers should not need to be "babied." You can say that until you have stood in front of thousands of people and realized you just dropped a measure or have a tickle in your throat or the director inserted a song you haven't sung in four years because it happened to be on your repertoire sheet.

45. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Slaughter in New York.

46. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Michele Virginia only had 9 votes today. So stuffing not successful. But then again I know we have plenty of readers and not many are bothering to vote as only 15 between Va and MD.Bot to late though.Whever is home ump in the Phillies Cards game and the Phillie announcers say he is almost as bad as Angel Hernandez. Obviosuly some of these guys are hated by people who want good umpiring.Final point Joe Torre worried so much about Cole Hamels crying, but will not take care of poor umpires. Seems to me he has his priorities in the wrong place.

47. MicheleS - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Swami, just shows you how blessed the Nats are with the development of players. Oh and anyone wondering about the subject not to be named. Santana is getting SHELLED by the Barves 9-0 in the SECOND. the important word i used in my previous post is the CARE of our pitchers.

48. baseballswami - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM

49. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM

EJax has got to be right tonight. Kid Miley is for real – but so are we. Also, ATL is up 9-0 after two innings at CitiField. Santana rocked.GYFNG!!

50. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Who is Michael Morse's agent? Maybe he oughtta get on the horn to Joe Torre.

51. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

MLB trailer now says Morse has hit safely in 18 of 19 games. Thst's how they handled it. Cole whined and got his own way. Whatever. Look at the standings Cole.

52. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Colbert really is a tool.

53. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM

No dale scott. Hope he is okay.

54. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM

FP just said a concussion for Dale Scott. UGH.. that stinks

55. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The more I see of Upton, the more I am unimpressed. Does this guy do anything right?

56. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I don;t think I would give that an error in upton as the ball was spinning and he was trying to get in postion to throw.

58. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Just checked NWS, NL. It's raining in Trenton! Heading northeast! Stall, Terry, Stall!

59. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

@Manassas: E9 all the way. Automatic.

60. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Be nice if that rain got up to NY, y'know, before the 5th inning, and sat there for about 4 hours.NatsLady, that's just mean. I like it.

61. peric - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Playing much more than anyone thought, playing at his old position, leading off. Lots more experience than he probably hoped. I think he has handled himself well.He's had some struggles swinging from the right-handed side which is why was initially platooned a lot and Davey moves him up and down in the batting order. Honestly, a rookie switch-hitter? I think its pretty normal. Its just frustrating for a new player I am sure.

62. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Last Add tonight on Roger's voting. Remember that we'll be doing this every night for the duration, so don't overdo the enthusiasm when we don't need to.It's a marathon, not a series of sprints.

63. PFB Balls of Fire - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Damn you sofa.

64. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Zofa.. Dang! Gulp Bang! haven't done that in awhile!

65. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM

What?1??

66. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Is it just me, or does the ballpark announcer at Chase sound like a bus station announcer?

67. pRAA is the obloquy troll and a pencil head - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Clippard has more fear in his eyes when he takes the mound than any other pitcher on the staff. Henry was up there too, but he's gone (for now).Fear the bRAA fool it quashed the lowly pRAA.

68. pRAA is the obloquy troll and a pencil head - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM

pRAA's brain seems a bit fried … he must live right near White Plains. The smell must get to him.

69. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Ah, geez. Grow up, people.

70. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Lombo! EJax up to his usual in the first. Hope he settles in quickly.first game I have been able to watch live since Tuesday . Glad to be back from the city of brotherly love . Caught up a little on the DVR before the game started.

71. pRAA is the obloquy troll and a pencil head - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM

pRAA with the ISOWhy it is so much fun making fun of other people and their posts using my handle … and comments …

72. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Welcome back, Swami.

73. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

That is one dead crowd tonight. and of course RZ muffs the ball.Great..

74. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM

E5

75. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Thanks, ZZZguy – by the way, Jason Marquis is no hitting the Pirates through 5. Interesting.

76. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM

They scored that a double. Maybe someone can get Cole Hamels to get it fixed. That has to be at least a hit and an error, at best.

77. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM

FP comments on Ejax fidgeting..Repeat care/feeding/development of our staff. not liking this

78. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Harper would have had that. Bernadina would have had that. Ankiel would have had that.

79. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Zofa.. remember Werth may not have his legs back. And I still can't believe that someone hasn't picked up Ank.

80. peric - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Did you hear Rizzo's interview? He talked repeatedly about our minor league players learning to play the nats way. The right way. So obvious that they are producing quality players. EJax 's turn to homer tonight?Is there a recording somewhere? I'd like to listen, it sounds to me like he is getting ready for September call-ups and the AFL. Kind of wonder how much playing time the guys they bring up will get? In the past there really wasn't much to play for … last year they could do that … before that Riggleman claimed he had to respect the game and play the veterans or lose them or they didn't have any prospects to speak of yet. Now, they have a pennant race. A far better "excuse" and explanation … still I would like to see them. And Natslady? I'm not sure what you see in Werth but he seems unable to cover ground to make up for Tyler Moore's lack of left-field acumen. I'll take Corey Brown or Roger Bernadina. Really just about any young player over him.

81. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Michele, clearly he does not. I'm not saying he should have had it, I was just thinking that under other circumstances, EJax has a very different inning.

82. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Darn! Braves-Mets game now an official game.I guess I can stop doing my rain dance now, huh?

83. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM

True Zofa, but if you put Bernie in CF, then Tyler is riding the pine tonight. Plus Bernie is bats left and Davey may want to save him for later.

84. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Nah, Sunshine, keep it up. Let 'em get soaked and play a 5-hour game. And put the video of the dance on Youtube.

85. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Will do, Zection.Off-topic alumni news: Jason Marquis has a no-hitter in Pittsburgh through 6.

86. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Edwin Jackson is not a very good pitcher.

87. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Jason Marquis no-no through 6.

88. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM

How about a SB right here…I forgot what one looked like on offense.

89. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Thanks for the tip, Sunshine, I can listen to the late innings.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Hard to be out by 2 to 3 steps on a double play on a ball hit off the end of the bat.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Offensive steals? bernadina had 2 Thursday night, that isn't that long ago is it?

92. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I do like that we are seeing some Curly W's in the stands of opposing teams. Good to grow the fan base

93. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM

MLB Network just put on the pirates game and of course the No No just went away

94. Moose - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

So as they cut to commercial, Carp made a remark about the D-Backs turning a double play. My teenaged daughter, who is not into baseball, overhead and asks: "Whoa! Did he just say D-…?" Knowing where this is going, I interrupt before she can complete the guess and say: "D-BACKS. BACKS… short for Diamondbacks". She stared at the TV again for a moment, then said: "Huh… THAT's an unfortunate nickname…" and went back to not paying attention. I gotta admit, I think the same thing every time they say it…

95. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Oooh, scorer gives the Pirates their first hit, in the 7th, on a ball that went off two (2) gloves. Hmmmm.

96. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Flores didn't go out once. Neither did Danny. If Desi were in the game he would have been all over EJax.

97. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM

98. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM

NatsLady, agree, Desi would have been all over Ejax.SWM.. can you hold off on that until say the 9th. WHEN we get into the Dbacks pen, we will have a shot

99. Theophilus T. S. - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I've lost patience w/ Jackson puking up the first couple of innings. If its 11-1 and takes him 150 pitches, make him go the distance.

100. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Well, this is not going well so far. Welcome home to me :( Please don't send me back to Philadelphia. If the offense gears up there is still plenty of time – if EJax can settle down. Marquis' no hit bid ended in the beginning of the 7th. Not a bad guy – has had a rough time with his kid. Padres very rarely have anything to cheer about.

101. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Gee, I dunno. In his last 5 starts EJax gave up 1, 0, 3, 2, 2, runs. Seems like he gave the team a chance.

102. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM

It's early!!

103. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Kid can hit.

104. rogieshan - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Jackson is exactly as advertised: a .500 pitcher who will take the ball every fifth day and eat a lot of innings. Next year, he will continue his journey to surpass Mike Morgan and Octavio Dotel's dubious record of pitching for the most teams in the majors.

105. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Did I mention ejax is not a very good pitcher. Hey you can't win them all. But this guy too often doesn't give us a good chance. A clue. No charge. Edwin Jackson game log for 2012.

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I would love to know how our catchers rank hitting wise against other groups of catchers. Must be near the bottom of every category.We know they cannot throw anyone out.Only thing they have is best ERA (and that is a good thing).I am always chalk up an out when I see a catcher (except Leon) come to the plate.

107. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Manassas, go hereSort by position for catchers, and All Players, not just Qualifiers.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Was commenting to a few I text with KFlo was worthless as didn't once go out to the mound to slow Ejax up. Others mentioned Espi too (as Desi would have), but neither did Zim or LaRoche, sso the whole team is laying an egg on defense tonight so far.Got to lift the pitcher when he is not spotting the ball well.I must be realy naive (hard for a techer), but I hav no clue what Moose and his daughter are talking about earlier in this thread.

109. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM

He happens to be the only one on our staff who has thrown a no hitter. He also has a world series ring. Certainly off tonight. Need to stop it right now and get the offense in the game.

110. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Hey, we threw out a base runner!!!!! Go Flo!!!!!!!!!

111. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Pudge sighting.. He is in the booth on MLB Network game TX vs Detroit

112. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Manassas – I think they were referring to a derogatory term– D- bag , instead of D- back?

113. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Manassas, I would explain but I got chastised for using the D-Backs' other name on this site… sorry.

114. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I must be realy naive (hard for a techer), but I hav no clue what Moose and his daughter are talking about earlier in this thread. You're a teacher? What do you teach?

115. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

JFlo at exactly 0.0 WAR on Fangraphs. I don't think WAR is the best measure of a catcher.

116. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Manassas. ShortStop is the captain of the Infield, that's part of the job description. Moose and daughter that D-Bag not D-Backs.

117. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Lombo has hits in six straight AB's. Go rookie!

118. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

It's one thing to give up 3 to 4 runs over 6 or 7 innings. But to give up runs in the first 3 innings on the road gives the game a different flow. Won't miss him when he's gone.

119. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Nice comeback inning here–Keep it going, Danny.

120. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Great to see werth hitting.

121. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM

122. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Seriously, how can anyone can doubt our team. it's only the 5th inning and we are chipping away. Edwin my not be on tonight, but we are STILL in it.

123. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Wow when did angel Hernandez sneak in behind home plate?

124. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Z!

125. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

So, the team has a chance to win, having given up four runs. Imagine that.

126. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Yeah brand new ball game. Hope I'm wrong about ejax.

127. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Tie ball game. Come on you guys, buck up! Drink some koolaid!

128. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Wow. Just wow.

129. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Wow, these guys are just out of control. Is that the smell of intimidation? Beast, to the wall.

130. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Pea-rods all over the field right now. Those were some shots.

131. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM

My koolaid is of the Sauvignon Blank flavor tonight and it tastes especially good.Koolaid people, koolaid!!!!

132. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Wow. Ok I'm done. You guys are right I'm just gonna relax and watch. Somebody pinch me. Wow

133. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Hmm … auto correct doesn't like Sauvignon Blanc.. like's Blank instead.SWM.. relax and enjoy.

134. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I know, I know , lombo love again. But he just acted like a lead off hitter from the 8 spot .

135. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Well, that's a quick hook.

136. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I got the chocolate (protein-enhanced) Kool-aid working at work.OK, I'm going to say it:Team of Destiny.

137. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Michele's. As a redskin ticket holder I have waited a looooooooong time for a winner. Sorry too all. Just have developed a losing mentality. And it just seems TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. Go nats

138. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

secret, you might consider losing the football mentality while you're at it.

139. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

SWM..this is baseball, not pointy brown ball. Understand the pointy brown ball mentality, but in baseball, as said earlier, it's a marathon, not a spint. GULP BANG!

140. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Pre-emptive strike: that was a good play by LaRoche, who knew no one was behind him at second.As FP just explained. Oh. Nevermind.

141. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Zec 3 im trying. Did not watch the other night. I was watching the NATS

142. bluejeener - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM

woo HOO – after a long day, and a 9+ hour drive, glad I woke up this inning. Amd glad that Nats bats woke up, too.

143. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Flores throwing out a runner and getting an RBI hit. Hmmmmm. Motivated?

144. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Great post at 9:49 by Michele…Still too much football mentality…And that was an RBI hit by the catcher for those who "chalk up an out" when they come up..Does the Legion of Doom ever get tired of being wrong?

145. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

whoa!! We are swinging the bats tonight!!

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Morse a 20 game hitting streal. K Flo and RBI too (shocked but loving it).

147. djinFl. - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:54 AM

@ SwamiFlores not motivated, rested, bruises healing

148. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

SWM: and please take the 'loser mentality' away from here! Group think is part of the magic. Go be a loser with the Redskins. Or be a winner – hang with the Nats.

149. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

So true, dj.

150. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Thank you djinFL!!! Flores is a better player when he is used correctly, which is max 3 or 4 days a week as opposed to 6…Nobody knows how to figure out roles as well as Davey…He has always known the best way to use his guys

151. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Flo looks like the real Flo tonight. Rest does a body good.

152. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Steve Berthiaume ‏@SBerthiaumeESPN#Padres Jason Marquis 2 hit shutout at #Pirates. It's Marquis' 5th career shutout; all with DIFFERENT teams. He had 17 ground ball outs.

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM

thanks, I never use that other term, so I guess that is why it flew right over my head. Now idiot I use.

154. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Swift, as you can see the Legion of Doom is being brought over to the light, come into the light people, stay away from the Dark Side.I try, I consider it my goal in life to squash the Doom

155. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I think some of the anti-Jackson faction here ought to back off the gas a bit. True, the guy isn't Jesus or J-Zimm. But he's tough, gutsy, eats innings and has come through with strong performances on nights when our bullpen was shot. He's not the most consistent pitcher I've ever seen, but he takes the ball every fifth day and gives us a chance. Plus, he's a great athlete. I was at the two-hitter he tossed against Cincinnati in late April, and that was the best-pitched game any Nat has hurled this season. He's tough. If he were more consistent, he'd be Bob Gibson. But I'll take him as a No. 4 every day of the week.

156. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Haha! Good call Michele, there's plenty of room on the bandwagon…Hopefully you can influence a bunch of Ebeneezer Scrooge-like changes of heart…It's never too late…

157. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Give Ejax credit for the sac bunt too that helped kick start the big inning…it's interesting how good teams seem to be following EJax around…TB, Ariz, StL, and now the Nats…

158. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM

WOW, what a slide by Werth. Shades of Ankiel, the best at that I ever saw.

159. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Jayson is so smart on the bases.

160. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I'm impressed with Werth there. 1) Who the heck gets that call? Yes, I know, no tag, but still.2) He kicked up his leg to avoid the tag?? One of the same legs that was too tired to play the other day? Seriously? Who does that?

161. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I'll take EJax over Jason Marquis.

162. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I have never seen that before.

163. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Zofa.. me either, a scissor kick to avoid the tag.. Yup, it was awesome

164. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

EJax is the perfect guy for this staff…A durable, innings eating, young vet with playoff experience who throws gas…He wasn't brought here to be a #1…I'm sure the Nats are very pleased with what he's brought to the team

165. peric - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Werth just stood there and watched … looked like he had a shot. He wouldn't even go near the wall. Natslady I think you overestimate Jayson Werth the fielder. That wrist fracture took something out of Werth the fielder. I'm not sure you'll ever see him again. Nor will we see Werth the #5 hitter in the Phillies lineup.

166. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Having a Gorzo moment. Everyone hold tight.

167. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Maybe not *perfect*, but he's fine for a number four. Pretty uneven tonight.It happens to them all. This is generally a pretty good hitting team, too. At least he is pretty level-headed. He and JZ can balance out the other guys who tend to be a bit emotional.

168. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

MIcheleS – hoping Gorzo doesn't do that "thing" that he usually does.

169. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM

THANK YOU GORZO!!!

170. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Can perics ace really get through without giving up an inherited run?,…. Well yes he can!

171. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Werth wasn't afraid of the wall!…There's an overhang there and the ball just missed hitting it…If it had hit and caromed back towards the infield there was danger of an inside the park HR…He had no play on that ball, even if he had stood under the overhang….Watch the replay…

172. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

That statement about Werth is a CLOWN COMMENTBRO!

173. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Haha, Jack..you get my e-mail??

174. peric - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Werth wasn't afraid of the wall!…There's an overhang there and the ball just missed hitting it … He still looks awfully skittish to me … this isn't the first play and blaming it on the legs only goes so far … have to think Harper might have gotten to it.As for Gorzo look it up NJ he was considered the top guy, the Pirate's Strasburg (I know he's not that good but when you're the Pirates?). He was their best starter that year. I maintain that he could still be a better than most #4/#5 starter … his velocity doesn't hit 94 like it used to though.

175. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Let me guess…Corey Brown would have caught it right???

176. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM

This is the guy they brought up? What were they waiting for?

177. baseballswami - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM

This shaw guy is good and there is no margin for error for the bullpen. Apparently still gorzo. Hope you are right about gorzo's ability.

178. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I dunno. Have seen Gorzo before, get the key out, and then in the next inning give up, y'know, his usual run. I will be very happy to be wrong.

179. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Peric, respectfully disagree on Gorzo, if you are saying he was the best on the pirates, that is like saying Lannan was the best Nat in 08/09. Not much to hang the hat on. I think Gorzo has found his true role as the long man out of the pen. It suits him well.

180. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM

And don't start on Werth on that hit, Please. that OF is huge

181. mick - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I love how we battle. I think Ejax was not aggressive tonight, he needs to throw more fast balls

182. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Natslady. remember, I am offering to drive the getaway car for you if you ever want to, well you know, with Gorzo

183. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Mattheus can make me wrong, if the inherited runner doesn't score.

184. mick - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

I think we can score 2-3 more tonight

185. Secret wasian man - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Don't lecture me swift. I have watched this team since day 1 from Montreal. I've been on that wagon.

186. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

For what it's worth, I do not want Jayson Werth faceplanting into the center field wall in the middle innings of a game in early-mid August. Bernie, OK. But not Werth. Werth is getting some tough plays, nothing hit right at him that isn't a line drive. I don't think he's had a can of corn all night. Tough luck that he gets the game the pitchers are giving up shots deep.

187. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

And the double switch.

188. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

And apparently, neither does Davey.

189. Swift Eagle - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Look at what the opponents have to do just to be in a close game v. the Nats…Jump on their #4 starter early, withstand a 5 run inning, make a diving play to keep the lead at only 2, then rally late against the 3rd best lefty and 4th best righty in the bullpen…Do all that, and you're down 1…

190. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:42 AM

SWM.. welcome aboard. plenty of room, no worries, we deal with the post football syndrome quite well, it may take awhile, but it's understandable. Afterall, no baseball in DC for 33 year and unless you followed another team, it can take some time…

191. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I am really liking Mr. Matheus… happy to have him on the 25 man on 8/31

192. mick - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

niCe job SHAGGY

193. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Love our infield D. Just love it!

194. mick - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:44 AM

how bout 2-3 more boys!

195. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

remember…2 years ago I told everybody about a guy named Ryan Matteus in Fall Instructs just like last Fall I told you about Christian Garcia.You will see him soon.

196. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Swift Eagle wasn't lecturing anybody, and if you've been watching baseball since 1969, well, you can observe a lot by watching, but you don't seem to have observed much.

197. mick - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

damn Braves… they are relentless

198. MicheleS - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

NJ (and Peric) Byron Kerr had a nice story on Garcia recently. Would be happy to have him on 9/1 to help spell the bullpen

199. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Derek …sent you an e-mail. Check the address.

200. NatsLady - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Happy for the Sros. Yesterday they had their first walk-off. Today they won their first exra inning game. So polite of them to wait until we left.