Instant analysis: Nats 9, D’backs 1

Aug 11, 2012, 4:53 AM EDT

US Presswire photo
Steve Lombardozzi had four hits and scored four runs.

Game in a nutshell: After a four-game sweep against a hapless team in Houston, the Nationals figured to face a stiffer test tonight against an Arizona club trying to hang on in the NL wild-card race. But what began as a tight pitchers' duel between Stephen Strasburg and Trevor Cahill turned into a rout. Ryan Zimmerman launched a two-run homer in the fifth. Michael Morse crushed a solo shot to deep right-center in the sixth. And the Nats piled on in the ninth to run away with it. Strasburg, meanwhile, merely tossed a one-hitter over six strong innings to earn his 13th win of the year. Thus, the Nationals earned their seventh consecutive victory, and at 70-43 they're on pace for 100 wins at season's end.

Hitting highlight: We could highlight the homers by Zimmerman and Morse, each of them towering shots. But how about some love for SteveRead more »

1. MicheleS - Aug 11, 2012 at 4:55 AM

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! 70 WINS!!! Good Night everyone!

2. NatsFanChris - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM

7 in a row and 70 total. Way to go boys!!!Nice to have a laugher, for what seems like the first time in awhile. Great game all around.

3. peric - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM

27 games over .500! Three to thirty. Hope they can sweep in AZ because th the last time they met the Giants they swept them … they look all synced to keep the streak going. Thank god Morse is finally breaking out … heard tonight his shoulder is still bothering him as I suspected. No weight lifting for Mikey Mo. Probably a good thing. Hope Zim is following suit with his shoulder.

4. Timothy Folk - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:09 AM

I get off late.. loving these late games

5. djinFl. - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:14 AM

well Timothy you will love next week

6. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Mark Z: I hope you're keeping notes for a book, because this is a season that might just warrant one.

7. The Fox - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Eugene I think each instant analysis will be in the book.These guys are really coming together and playing like a championship team. When they are interviewed you can see the determination. They are all working toward a goal. As long as they stay healthy I don't think they can miss the playoffs.

8. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Michael Morse's homer extended his hitting streak to 19. I refuse to acknowledge Joe Torre;s decision, because it was quite evident that the official scorer who was there knew what he was doing, that ball was smiked. Sometimes you get and that is a web gem, when don't its a hit. Not much debate.As for tonight good to see harper get 2 sacrafice flies with 2 strikes (the first putting us ahead to start with).70-43. Sounds good. Let's win tomorrow to take that series before Sunday.

9. Schumatrix - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Keep mashin' em, Morse. He's just seeing the ball huge lately.

10. Drew - Aug 11, 2012 at 5:58 AM

This just in: The Nats are really good.Hey Timothy: With wins like this, we all get off late.

11. peric - Aug 11, 2012 at 6:06 AM

This is just the first season … now it looks as if the Nats will make it into the second season where its survival of the fittest. Soon, Davey will have to start thinking about getting guys in the best possible condition to the post season. Sure looks to me like they may just add Christian Garcia to the 40-man roster giving them another reliever to go to. Releasing Severino seems to point to that happening eventually … Adding Garcia and Henry should be enough to get them the rest of the way. Unfortunately both Lannan and now Perry are starters. Albeit Perry has plenty of experience as a reliever.

12. Secret wasian man - Aug 11, 2012 at 7:49 AM

13. Secret wasian man - Aug 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Fell asleep. Just woke up. OR DID I? 27over .500. Maybe I'm I'm dreaming. NO I'm not. This is AWESOME. GO NATS

14. natsfan1a - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Yay, a happy game results email! Looks like they busted out the bats, too. Gotta watch the replay later.In your morning Shark Report, Bernie bested the, uh, Royals infield (What's up with that?). Next up, a Hairston (Scott, to be precise). The new poll isn't posted yet, but you know the drill. Vote early and often.

15. baseballswami - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

If Cole ends up in the top of some categories for era – there should be an asterisk.

16. Dryw Loves the Nats - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Couldn't find any lowlights, Mark? Neither could I! GYFNG!!!!!

17. natsfan1a - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Lowlight = late start time.

18. ehay2k - Aug 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Lowlight was Espi not covering second on the play where Stras covered first and LaRoche pivoted to make the throw and then final out of the inning. That lowlight was offset, I believe, by the highlight of Stras alertly covering first. A lot of young pitchers (am I the only one who forgets how young SS really is? ) would have assumed the force at second and not covered first. Heads up play for a guy without even a complete MLB season under his belt. I guess Stras' maxim regarding his defense is "Trust, but verify (or cover)”

19. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM

The lowlight would have to be the ump taking one in the chops or the head or whatever. Strasburg lost his rhytem for 10 pitches or so. I am bettung (though we would never know) Stras doesn't walk Monterro had he not waited 10 minutes to complete the at bat.

20. NatsFanSinceStart - Aug 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Go Nats!!!! A faithful fan of the Senators as a kid, I watched them leave — I watched numerous cities use Washington in their blackmailing attempts to get new stadiums and other concessions. I remember when we thought the Astros, Mariners, and even the Seattle Pilots (remember them?) were coming here. I watched as MLB awarded two Canadian teams????? franchises, but not us!!Later, out of starvation, I reluctantly, but then enthusiastically became an O's fan. Still, it wasn't really our team.But now we have a winner; a team chock full of just nice guys. Fun to watch.I am so proud to be a Nats fan. Thank you, Lerner Family. Now I'm glad my mother used to shop in your store and bore the heck out of me. Like waiting for these Nats, it was worth it.