Aug 11, 2012, 1:14 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse had a hit from the game on June 2 taken away from him.
PHOENIX — Michael Morse left the ballpark in Houston Thursday night with an 18-game hitting streak attached to his name. He arrived at the ballpark in Arizona Friday afternoon with that streak reduced to seven games, even though he hadn’t picked up a bat or faced an opposing pitcher in the 18 hours between those two events.
How does that happen? Turns out Major League Baseball overruling the scoring of one of Morse’s at-bats from the Nationals’ Aug. 2 game, changing a single to an error on Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins.
Thus, what was believed to be an 18-game hitting streak for Morse (the third-longest in Nationals history) has now been split into separate streaks of 10 and seven games, the latter of which will be on the line tonight against the Diamondbacks.
Not that Morse was crestfallen upon receiving the news.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers