Aug 12, 2012, 5:28 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Davey Johnson has plenty of reason to smile these days.
PHOENIX — They trailed early by three runs, facing perhaps the NL Rookie of the Year frontrunner. Their two best setup men were shelved for the evening due to overuse. The relievers who replaced them wound up putting the tying runner in scoring position in three consecutive innings.
Yet, not one uniformed member of the Nationals appeared to break a sweat during Saturday night’s 6-5 victory over the Diamondbacks. (And, no, that had nothing to do with the 108-degree dry heat outside Chase Field.)
What gives? Do the Nationals ever worry about losing a ballgame? Evidently not.
“The confidence is at an all-time high right now,” right-hander Ryan Mattheus said.
And why wouldn’t it be the way things are going for the best team in baseball? This nailbiter resulted in the Nationals’ eighth consecutive win, the last six of them coming on the road. They’re now 71-43, a full 28 games over .500, knowing they can go 24-24 the rest of the way and still finish with 95 wins.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful