Aug 12, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler gave up five runs (four earned) in only 4 2/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: Contrary to popular belief, the Nationals aren't perfect. And they can't win every night. So the winning streak came to an end today, halted at eight games with a lopsided loss to the Diamondbacks in the series finale at Chase Field. The Nats did not play a clean game, from Ross Detwiler's shaky start to Ryan Zimmerman and Kurt Suzuki's throwing errors to Bryce Harper getting picked off first base. They also put up little fight against rookie left-hander Patrick Corbin, who faced the minimum over six innings before finally fading in the seventh. At that point, the deficit was seven runs, so there wasn't much hope of a stirring rally. Thus the Nationals leave the desert with a 6-1 record on the road trip, looking to bounce back tomorrow night in San Francisco.
Hitting lowlight: Make no bones about it, Harper is in a prolonged slump at the plate. Though he was credited with a single in his firstRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic
- Nats' Ramos shares moment in Zimmermann's no-hitter