Aug 12, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler gave up five runs (four earned) in only 4 2/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: Contrary to popular belief, the Nationals aren't perfect. And they can't win every night. So the winning streak came to an end today, halted at eight games with a lopsided loss to the Diamondbacks in the series finale at Chase Field. The Nats did not play a clean game, from Ross Detwiler's shaky start to Ryan Zimmerman and Kurt Suzuki's throwing errors to Bryce Harper getting picked off first base. They also put up little fight against rookie left-hander Patrick Corbin, who faced the minimum over six innings before finally fading in the seventh. At that point, the deficit was seven runs, so there wasn't much hope of a stirring rally. Thus the Nationals leave the desert with a 6-1 record on the road trip, looking to bounce back tomorrow night in San Francisco.
Hitting lowlight: Make no bones about it, Harper is in a prolonged slump at the plate. Though he was credited with a single in his firstRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season