Aug 12, 2012, 11:02 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler gave up five runs (four earned) in only 4 2/3 innings.
Game in a nutshell: Contrary to popular belief, the Nationals aren't perfect. And they can't win every night. So the winning streak came to an end today, halted at eight games with a lopsided loss to the Diamondbacks in the series finale at Chase Field. The Nats did not play a clean game, from Ross Detwiler's shaky start to Ryan Zimmerman and Kurt Suzuki's throwing errors to Bryce Harper getting picked off first base. They also put up little fight against rookie left-hander Patrick Corbin, who faced the minimum over six innings before finally fading in the seventh. At that point, the deficit was seven runs, so there wasn't much hope of a stirring rally. Thus the Nationals leave the desert with a 6-1 record on the road trip, looking to bounce back tomorrow night in San Francisco.
Hitting lowlight: Make no bones about it, Harper is in a prolonged slump at the plate. Though he was credited with a single in his firstRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win