Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
The Nationals look to improve to 5-0 against the Giants tonight at AT&T Park.
When he takes the mound tonight for the bottom of the first inning, Jordan Zimmermann will do so owning the best ERA in the National League. Thanks to the pounding his teammates gave Ryan Vogelsong last night, Zimmermann's 2.35 ERA now ranks best in the league among all qualifying starters. It's a real testament to the right-hander's talent and determination that he finds himself in such a position.
Zimmermann would happily take 50 percent of the run support the Nationals gave Gio Gonzalez last night (that would still be seven runs). Shoot, he might even settle for 33 percent of last night's output. The challenge won't be easy, with left-hander Madison Bumgarner (12-8, 3.08) on the mound for the Giants.
As you know, I'm not in San Francisco for this series. Enjoy another late-night game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 62 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
SS Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards
- Rendon unlikely for Opening Day after 2nd MRI
- Taking a crack at the Nats' Opening Day roster
- 3-time All-Star retires day after getting cut by Nats
- Braves, Marlins miss out on Cuban star Hector Olivera