Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
The Nationals look to improve to 5-0 against the Giants tonight at AT&T Park.
When he takes the mound tonight for the bottom of the first inning, Jordan Zimmermann will do so owning the best ERA in the National League. Thanks to the pounding his teammates gave Ryan Vogelsong last night, Zimmermann's 2.35 ERA now ranks best in the league among all qualifying starters. It's a real testament to the right-hander's talent and determination that he finds himself in such a position.
Zimmermann would happily take 50 percent of the run support the Nationals gave Gio Gonzalez last night (that would still be seven runs). Shoot, he might even settle for 33 percent of last night's output. The challenge won't be easy, with left-hander Madison Bumgarner (12-8, 3.08) on the mound for the Giants.
As you know, I'm not in San Francisco for this series. Enjoy another late-night game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 62 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
SS Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Jayson Werth
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem