Game 117: Nats at Giants

Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nationals look to improve to 5-0 against the Giants tonight at AT&T Park.

When he takes the mound tonight for the bottom of the first inning, Jordan Zimmermann will do so owning the best ERA in the National League. Thanks to the pounding his teammates gave Ryan Vogelsong last night, Zimmermann's 2.35 ERA now ranks best in the league among all qualifying starters. It's a real testament to the right-hander's talent and determination that he finds himself in such a position.

Zimmermann would happily take 50 percent of the run support the Nationals gave Gio Gonzalez last night (that would still be seven runs). Shoot, he might even settle for 33 percent of last night's output. The challenge won't be easy, with left-hander Madison Bumgarner (12-8, 3.08) on the mound for the Giants.

As you know, I'm not in San Francisco for this series. Enjoy another late-night game and the conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Clear, 62 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF

SS Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Jayson Werth

1. NatsLady - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Found this interesting graphic. It would be interesting to watch our new catcher in pitch framing. Notice the issue with strike calls on the outside to lefties (e.g., Harper). I think last night's call was more a function of everyone (except maybe Bryce) wanting to go home with a 14-2 game and COLD weather–rather than a "rookie" strike zone. I wonder if there is anything a hitter can do to counter this optical illusion?pitch framinghttp://www.lookoutlanding.com/2012/8/14/3242786/jose-molina-jesus-montero-pitch-framing

2. peric - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM

T-Mo and Morse with the Shark in center field would be my guess for this game.

3. NatsLady - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM

peric—please, I hope not!

4. realdealnats - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Last night we had a lot of seeing eye singles. But we also took the extra base to get the extra run. Keep your eyes open tonight, guys, and pick up as many of those jacks as you can. GYFNG!

5. NatsLady - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Mel Antonen ‏@MelAntonen#Nats GM Mike Rizzo says Lucas Giolito threw "free and easy'' with no ill effects from arm injury in his first pro game.#MLB

6. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

NatsLady…..he threw 2 innings, 21 pitches, 2 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, 1 k.he also thrre 12 additional pitches in the bull pen after his 2 innings. No breaking balls and only 2 chanhe ups.

7. NatsLady - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomakGood news for Jayson Werth-MRI negative. Just walked in not wearing boot. No #nats lineup yet. Knowing Davey, be surprising to see him in it

8. peric - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

peric—please, I hope not!Werth is out and Harper needs to be rested … it'll be better when Perez and Brown arrive.

9. NatsLady - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

NatsJack, sounds ok for a first outing. Especially the extra pitches afterward.

10. peric - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Mel Antonen ‏@MelAntonenOri'holes guy. Boo.

11. NatsLady - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM

peric, yeah, I know but that is a scary outfield in that park. Oh, well.

12. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

He looked solid for a kid that hadn't thrown competitively in over 3 1/2 months.

13. MicheleS - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Lineup:Nationals PR‏@NationalsPRDavey's Lineup-Tue @ SFG/G117: Espinosa ss, Harper cf, Zimmerman 3b, Werth rf, LaRoche 1b, Moore lf, Flores c, Lombardozzi 2b, Zimm'nn rhp.

14. Manassas Nats' Fan - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Another 21 hits wouldn't hurt my feelings.

15. MicheleS - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

GYFNG! I think ALR has a good night tonight.Go Jordan!!!!

16. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Do no Moore in left, no Bernie in center and no Morse in right, huh NatsLady?

17. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

So, not Do.

18. Candide - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Cunegonde and me at Wolf Trap tonight for Lyle Lovett, her big heartthrob. Should be getting out about when the game starts, so I'll have something to listen to on the way home.

19. Candide - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Almost forgot: GYFNG!!!

20. MicheleS - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Candide.. Look for SJM 308 – I am sure he will be wearing a Nats Hat. He is there too.

21. MicheleS - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Watching inning #3 from last night now. Just a thing of beauty.

22. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Moore in left is OK but Morse in right would have been scary.

23. Candide - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:45 PM

MicheleS, I've only seen one guy wearing a Nats hat (and a Werth Jersey) but he was a lot fatter and a lot younger than SJM308. Will keep an eye out, though.

24. Candide - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM

SJM, if you can read this, where are you?

25. SonnyG10 - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

On a three day mini-vacation in Pennsylvania. Don't know if I'll get to tune in the Nats game or not, but I'll try. Otherwise, hold the fort for me. GYFNG!!!!

26. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

There was a comment this morning concerning the Reds record since Votto went out. Yes, they've improved their record without him but you take his at bats out of their lineup and the rest of the team is hitting .244, with a .302 OBP and .424 slugging % without him.Not good.

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

NatsJack at 7:51, of course. He's Top 3 offensive player in the NL

28. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Leaving hotel for the game on a cool, damp, foggy San Francisco day (a Mark Twain 'coldest winter = SF summer' kinda day). As I told my daughter last night, I would have liked for the Nats to save a few of those extra runs for tonight's game. Hoping that they keep hitting, even if they are 'seeing eye' singles. And expecting a solid Jordan Zimmermann-style start. GYFNG!

29. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Well.. we might be seeing Mr Rendon in September:Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPDouble whoa: Desmond activated Friday if all goes well, and Rendon "might be" a call up in September, Davey said.

30. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM

We broke another pichter.. Brad Penny on the DL.

31. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Finally got to last night's game on dvr. I noticed that there were some infield shenanigans again,( Astros, then Giants), and wondered what the heck is going on. The more I think about it – these teams don't necessarily play bad defense. Those infield hits might have been a little lucky in the babip department, but they were also scorched like they had been shot out of a cannon. The guys are also motoring and hustling full out, looking for any opportunity to take a base, score, tag up – anything. The Bryce Harper effect. My feeling after watching recent games is that the nats just press and press and press until something gives. Even in innings where they don't score, they are applying pressure. We often use the word – relentless – to describe the nats. I think it applies throughout the game and causes the other team to make mistakes.They play a very intense, energetic brand of baseball. I love it.

32. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM

MicheleS – how many pitchers have we broken this season? Seems like quite a few.Sorry?

33. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Swammi, i think we took out at least 3 of the Jays pitchers.

34. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Hmmmmm….Amanda Comak ‏@acomakMichael Morse said he's fine and could play tomorrow but Davey said "the big guy is down. The thumb is barking." Said Friday more likely.

35. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM

With all our catcher troubles, I never even heard of this guy.The Washington Nationals have released 29-year old righty swinging catcher Devin Ivany. Ivany was the last remaining player that came from the Montreal Expos when they moved to Washington. Ivany played in 49 games in AA-ball for the Nationals this year and he was 33 of 156 (.212 avg, .600 OPS) with 17 runs scored, 3 homers, 13 RBIs and 1 stolen base. He played 9 years in the minors for the Expos/Nationals, appearing in 642 games in which he was 530 of 2,177 (.243 avg, .678 OPS) with 282 runs scored, 51 homers, 264 RBIs and 44 stolen bases. This is no loss for the Nationals.

36. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak"Good news for Jayson Werth-MRI negative. Just walked in not wearing boot. No #nats lineup yet. Knowing Davey, be surprising to see him in it." Well, I guess she doesn't know Davey as well as she thinks she knows Davey.Don't even get me started…

37. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Well, I didn't think he was putting Moore-Bernie-Morse as his starting outfield in AT&T park… :)

38. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Hiroki Kuroda is no-hitting Texas (6th inning) but he ain't getting a lot of run support.

39. pk24 - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Harper in CF, Moore in LF and Werth in RF according to MLB.com. Wonder what is wrong with Morse…

40. Another_Sam - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM

BTW, somebody pinch me.

41. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM

pk24, thumb, I would assume. He jammed it in BP yesterday and it was pretty swollen.

42. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Morse has a jammed thumb.Probably out until Friday.

43. pk24 - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM

NatsLadyThanks – Just saw your earlier post. Sorry about that :-( Nice to see that Davey is continuing to give TyMo opportunities to start…

44. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM

NatsLady – I remember watching Devin Ivany at Potomac. A career minor leaguer that just kept hanging on. Good guy – not much upside. Seemed like for a while he was a permanent fixture at Pfitzner.

45. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Kuroda lost the no-no, but it's still 0-0 between two pretty good offensive teams…

46. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM

So just finishing up the replay of last nights game and one thing I really love, is even though Gio is goofy and laughs, my oh my was he not happy about giving up that HR. Lip reading all those curse words was funny.

47. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM

pRAA, any apology on Rendon?

48. Drew - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM

With all of the injuries and the Freitas trade they've done some shuffling in the catching corps.A journeyman named Jeff Howell started the year at Harrisburg, then moved up to Syracuse. Now he's down at Potomac.

49. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM

And More info from Kilgore:Adam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPThe Nats' front office is not likely to pull the trigger on calling up Rendon. He's on the 40-man, so it's possible. Don't bet on it.

50. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM

MicheleS, yeah. Probably insisted on pitching the 7th and Davey said, "You wanna mess with your ERA? Have at it." Gorzy could have pitched 7,8,9 and got the looooooong save.

51. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:24 AM

With all our catcher troubles, I never even heard of this guy.Ivany has been with the club since 2005. Never got above AA. They might be making him into a coach. We'll have to see.

52. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:24 AM

They all seem to have pretty high standards for themselves.

53. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM

The Nats' front office is not likely to pull the trigger on calling up Rendon. He's on the 40-man, so it's possible. Don't bet on it.Adam he has been wrong often enough … if Boz says it definitely won't happen that's a different story entirely.

54. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:31 AM

BTW, "Davey" is not the same as the FO to whom Adam refers. Davey has and will continue to call guys up as he sees fit. In Rendon's case given the sudden sense of urgency the FO seems to have with the guy I suspect Davey will in call him up if he looks good in Harrisburg. Not so much to help the team this season but for next season. Davey, like Rizzo, is always looking ahead because that's the part of being in baseball he seems to enjoy more than most other aspects. I have to wonder if the sudden sense of urgency in Rendon's case doesn't also have it source in Davey.

55. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Peric.. Amanda has the same info as Kilgore. but who knows, we could see him.

56. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM

pRAA, any apology on Rendon?My self-appointed meme would have to start with his handle Ghost and we know he won't admit he's a schmuck of a pencil head.

57. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I agree with Peric as Davey has his own power. Rendon is already on the 40 man so it isn't a big deal to do it after September 1st.

58. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Peric.. Amanda has the same info as Kilgore. but who knows, we could see him.Keep in mind, Davey decided when Harper was ready, not the front office. It it had been up to them he would have stayed in the minors almost certainly. I'm not saying whether that move was right or wrong … the jury is still out given his 2nd half slump and mental exhaustion. Rendon, however, is a completely different animal: a polished and complete ballplayer at age 22. But he also has yet to endure an entire season. Espinosa would be the closest comparison and Espy is still adjusting.

59. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM

60. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I still think that Rendon should earn it to be a September callup. I hope he crushes it in Harrisburg! By the way, the only reason Rendon is in the discussion is because he is on the 40 man as part of his draft signing negotiation.

61. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM

This is a weird lineup tonight. One night Davey loves the idea of Werth leading off; the next night he's batting cleanup.Not many managers tinker with a lineup that produced 14 runs (on 21 hits!) the night before. Put Davey in the category of those who do.After ALR, this lineup kinda tails off badly although Lombo gives us a little spark at No. 8.

62. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Well looks like a 1 for 4 night for Anthony Rendon in AA but its better than Destin hood who is 0 for 4 with 4 strike outs.

63. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Too much to ask that lightning strikes twice in two nights. Padres fall meekly to Atlanta, 6-0.

64. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Werth has no power to speak of at this point … and that may be a permanent condition. But, he's a right handed bat and he gets on base. I'd be more worried about the thing Natslady seems most concerned by: fielding. Werth is not looking all that great in the outfield.

65. ExposedinDC - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Probably nit picking…but Flores again….in Davey I trust…..in Davey I trust

66. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Does calling Rendon up in September start the clock on Super 2/Arb status? That could be a consideration – albeit a SMALL one.No, I don't think it affects it.

67. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Destin Hood is on his way to the Florida Instructionals after the season along with Brian Goodwin, that's for sure.

68. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Ray Knight: Bernie robbing, uh, one of the hitters in the uh, 6th or 7th inning…

69. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Maybe when DeRosa retires he can replace ex-Bowden ball Cincinnati Red Ray Knight in the booth … be nice if he and FP could be the two analysts.

70. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Wow==unsubstantiated==have the Red Sox fired Bobby V? If true, maybe they will stop talking about Stras.

71. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Ryan Zimmerman Piano Moving & Storage Co.17 GIDPs.

72. Unknown - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Keep in mind, Davey decided when Harper was ready, not the front office.Wasn't it Rizzo that went to Syracuse to scout him the week before, and decided that Harper was in the beginning of a hot streak?

73. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Looks like BJ Upton is on a real tear just in time to break the hearts of the poor Oriole fans .. boohoohoohoo and again on the tail of the Spankees.

74. Unknown - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Huh, that unknown was me (A DC Wonk)

75. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Wasn't it Rizzo that went to Syracuse to scout him the week before, and decided that Harper was in the beginning of a hot streak?According to Rizzo Davey told him its time. Let's bring him up. What does that tell you?

76. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:27 AM

77. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:28 AM

NatsLady, I don't think the Bobby V thing is true (yet) ESPN would have blown up already and not a mention on BBTN

78. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:33 AM

From Kilgore: Today, Desmond took early batting practice and came through feeling healthy, and maybe a little playful.“They scared me earlier,” Johnson said. “Ian came in my office with [Rick] Eckstein. He had early hitting. He said, ‘I’m hurt.’ I said, ‘Oh no. How bad is it?’ He said, ‘My ears are hurting from the loud sound coming off my bat.’ He got me.”

79. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM

@patriotnews_gmo: When told Davey Johnson told D.C. media Anthony Rendon might be Sept. call-up, #HbgSens mgr Matt LeCroy responds with … LeCroy: "Really? He had a good showing in ST, and if the manager sees something he likes, it's always on the back of his mind."

80. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Everybody who wanted Valentine in place of Riggleman last year, raise your hands.I wasn't sure about anything except I wanted Riggleman retired and in Florida. Working for the AA BlueWahoos is in Florida so its close enough.

81. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Maybe wishful thinking after the BoSox just lost to the O's, Michele. ;)

82. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:40 AM

And a 1B in the OF is a small problem, but nice move to get that out at third.

83. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Yeeeeesh, Tyler Moore.

84. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Oh Lord it's going to be Adventures in the OF tonight.

85. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Tyler Moore will kill us out there. I really don't think he has it.

86. Les_in_NC - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Pence and Belt had the right idea there…. Zimm has the best ERA in the majors, if he throws me a fastball down the middle to get ahead, I'm going to swing at it.our guys need to do the same against Madison.

87. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Then he almost collides with Espy. Sure looked like Espy's ball, though FP said the outfielder has priority.

88. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM

89. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Tyler Moore probably should be learning his new position in AAA but the Nats lack decent right-handed bats off of the bench. It retards his development as an everyday player but he does wield a dangerous bat and with Desmond out … he doesn't get to return to AAA to work on his fielding.

90. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:48 AM

91. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Winds have shifted, 19 mph blowing in. Temperature has dropped from 63 at game time to 56, according to C&D.This keeps up, Kristina is going to be in a ski parka by the fifth inning.

92. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I know there's no place else to play the guy right now, but is there anybody out there who thinks this Tyler Moore experiment in left field is working?Said the same thing about LaRoche at first base in Pittsburgh the first three years. How's that working now? Moore doesn't have a lot of speed and he barely spent any time in AAA getting acclimated to left field.

93. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I wonder if Tyler goes back to SYR when Ian comes back? Maybe to work on those OF reads.For 10 or 12 days? Maybe … but his bat is definitely a plus …

94. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Amanda Comack:Asked about Rendon this afternoon in San Francisco and whether or not he could possibly be a September call-up, Nationals manager Davey Johnson said "he might be.""Let's see how he finishes up," Johnson said. "This is the year of the young guys all around baseball. He's another one who's right in that mold… (But) his main thing is just getting into playing shape."Johnson also added: "As long as he's healthy that stroke of his will hunt on most levels."

95. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Znn is getting rocked so far. FP finally noting that the ball is up. Carp always starts off talking up our pitcher as a Cy Young/HoF candidate. It's tiresome. Wait and see how he does before you do that.

96. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:00 AM

You can't teach "radar." Tyler Moore could practice from now until the cows come home, and like Josh Willingham, he'll never be a good outfielder. All you can do is hope to hide him out there so as to get his bat in the lineup.

97. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:04 AM

JoeS, I think that's a little unfair. TyMo played his first inning in the outfield THIS YEAR. I'm inclined to give him the off season to work on stuff before concluding he's hopeless.

98. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:11 AM

I'm inclined to give him the off season to work on stuff before concluding he's hopeless.T-Mo lacks both speed and confidence at this point in the outfield. It is recipe for disaster at this juncture. He has worked very hard to improve his game at first base and if he works hard in the offseason perhaps T-Mo will end up able to hold his own in left field. Its the bat they want to get into the lineup someway, somehow.

99. Fear and Ignorance - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:15 AM

3-0 count…and that is what Werth does??? The Hammer now on pace for 42 HR and 123 RBI…he is almost as good as Jayson Werth. Do you think the Twinkies would make that trade…they would only have to spend another $100 million to make it happen! I mean the Twins must know that Werth is responsible for turning the Nats into a winner…he would have them in the Series in 2 years. Why wouldn't they want him? Oh yeah…he stinks!!!

100. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Espinosa now with a higher batting average than Harper … it keeps creeping up … looks like he could be a real monster next season. The Nats might have the best overall infield in baseball next year taking into account all aspects of the game. Given what things were like just last season and especially before that's pretty amazing!

101. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

So Danny says, thankyouverymuch, Tyler. I'll just play short and left… :)

102. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Anything this side of the warning track is Espi's.

103. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:23 AM

The Hammer now on pace for 42 HR and 123 RBI…he is almost as good as Jayson Werth.And Willingham is in the AL where they can hide his pretty poor fielding ability in the outfield by making him a DH. Which is likely what he will be almost full-time starting next year. It was a good call at the time. Besides what is the Twins record again? And what is the Nats record now and what was the Nats record when they had both Willingham's and Dunn's big power bats but terrible fielding?Werth didn't replace Willingham, Harper does. I'll take Harper you can keep the change. Werth replaces Elijah Dukes and Austin Kearns since he is in right field.

104. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM

F&I, you're being a bit harsh on Werth. He's batting over .300, has been a great clubhouse influence on Bam-Bam and others, and has come through at the plate this year. He makes one out and you want to trade him for Josh "15-day disabled list" Willingham?I don't think so.Besides his contract makes Werth im-freaking-possible to trade.

105. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:27 AM

222, I disagree. He gets no jump, has no speed, no grace, and a fair, at best, arm. He's actually a klutz out there. I don't wish the kid anything but good luck, but OF will never be his strong point, in my opinion.

106. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:29 AM

So Danny says, thankyouverymuch, Tyler. I'll just play short and left… :)I suspect Danny was taking care of his teammate. He ducked under and let T-Mo have that ball, intentionally. They all most know T-Mo has confidence issues in the outfield and it behooves them to help out with that when they can. And as the leader on the field at shortstop that is likely what Espy was trying to do.

107. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM

He ducked under and let T-Mo have that ball, intentionally. Not so sure about that. He gave TyMo a "look."

108. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM

T-Mo might surprise making a crowded outfield even more crowded. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how the drama unfolds as the Nats youth movement progresses.

109. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Not so sure about that. He gave TyMo a "look."Very intense player like Strasburg … he gives everyone "a look".

110. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Looks like we're almost as weak in right field with the "barking" ankle eh Natslady?

111. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Not quite. Barking ankle still smarter than novice. Can't do anything about it now. Reconcile yourself, peric. Nice hit, man. JZ!!!!

112. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Werth didn't replace Willingham, Harper does. I'll take Harper you can keep the change.Well, perhaps I should say Morse and Harper if and when they ever get the ballyhooed and heralded CF. I think they should just stick with Corey Brown for now and avoid the Bourn, poor fielding singles hitting identity.

113. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Not quite. Barking ankle still smarter than novice. Can't do anything about it now. Reconcile yourself, peric. True enough. Still Morse might have been a better choice.

114. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:48 AM

this is a good old fashion pitching duel

115. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:50 AM

I am not fond of this HP umpire, his strike zone changes with each batter

116. DWS - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Gotta love shift work 3-11 AST. So far so civil!As mick says, a pitching duel. Last night was a bonus for Nats fans.

117. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Not Jordan's best night, although minimal damage except for, well, Bumgarner. Werth grabs another HR, the wind taketh away.

118. Grandstander - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:57 AM

If we somehow win this game, the MVP should be right field.

119. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:58 AM

I have no problem with Jordan at all…. we need to hit

120. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Out at second on a nice play off the wall and a good throw, Gee. Oh never mind. Nice catch by Werth on the shot to end the inning.

121. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Another outfielder I think is over- rated in Hunter Pence. The Nats on the board by the hustle of Werth.

122. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Joe Seam==> yes. Judging from the boos, the Giants fans have seen Pence's fielding before tonight…

123. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:07 AM

this is a good game, preview of NLCS

124. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:10 AM

not a an NLCS umpire behind the plate or for that fact a post season umpire, very inconsistent strike zone

125. DWS - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Beast mode available tonight? Curious about Itzuris on deck bottom 8.

126. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:12 AM

NatsLady, that was after he got booed out of Philly.Ultimately the Astros will be the big winners of the Hunter Pence Sweepstakes.

127. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Joe… I think Pence can still be a very good player

128. DWS - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Sorry 7.

129. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Davey indicated Morse would not be used tonight. His thumb/hand is quite swollen.

130. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:14 AM

mick, I have a fondness in my heart for Pence because he threw out the runner so Clip won the All-Star Game (2011). But, after that…

131. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:17 AM

mick, Hunter has looked terrible in RF all year.

132. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:22 AM

They need Mkey Mo now that he has started to go on his XBH tear. Can't replace him with Werth Davey that ain't going to work.

133. Swift Eagle - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:25 AM

No wonder Bonds took steroids!! It's impossible to hit it out of that joint!!!

134. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Joe and Nats lady… i agree, I'm just saying I still he think he can be very good.I really wamtd to see Nats only down 2-1 in 9th, Drew is very disappointing, not a good night for him at all

135. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Swift in SF its all weather, look at last night, if its last nights weather tonight both Zim and Bryce have either HR or extra bases

136. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:41 AM

very frustrating… well played game and all it takes is one player having an off night. I love Drew, but this was his worst game as a pro in a meaningful situation. I would have no problem losing 2-1, but at least wanted the chance to be down 2-1.

137. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:44 AM

An inning from hell.

138. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Nats having a game like the Giants had last night. Time to pack it in.

139. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:46 AM

oh well, let's get them tomorrow!

140. DWS - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Hey they didn't score 14. Mind you if they knew how to run the bases it would have been really ugly.

141. rogieshan - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Wow, Storen's ERA just jumped from 2.00 to 5.79. Didn't help that he was squeezed on calls by HP umpire Layne. Look like it's only a strike if the Giants hitters took a swing. Our hitters seem to have trouble and get overly anxious against control-type pitchers, something I hope they can break in the post-season.Still waiting for JFlores to make a statement with the bat in response to the Suzuki trade.

142. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 4:56 AM

Bottom line Natlady. They need the beast and his fielding and his bat more than they need Jayson and his fielding and his bat. And Davey needs to start thinking about resting Harper more … the fact he doesn't tells me that the other top hitting prospect, Anthony Rendon, will get added to the roster for the playoff run after September 1st.

143. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM

144. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 5:44 AM

145. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Made you feel better, though, didn't it Seamhead?

146. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM

All one has to do is go down the list of all the recent playoff eligible teams fighting to get in and list the number of September callups that propel them to their destiny.Why, just look at the Yankees and the Phillies most recent runs and you can see how if it wasn't for the September call ups, they'd have never made it in.And finally, just look at the last two World Series winners and list all the September call ups that carried them to theor respective titles. One has to acknowledge if it wasn't for AAA and AA year end call ups, these teams would have never been able to reward their fans with the rewards of victory.

147. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

NatsJack. Well said.Just glad most of the fans appreciate what we have right now and how special this season is.

148. Joe Seamhead - Aug 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Yes, NatsJack, but one only has so much time and energy. I want to put mine into being positive. I agree MicheleS that we have a pretty fine team right here, right now. It is bringing this Grumpy Old Man of Baseball a lot of joy.