Game 118: Nats at Giants

Aug 15, 2012, 5:30 PM EST

US Presswire file photo
Stephen Strasburg faces Tim Lincecum this afternoon at AT&T Park.

If asked back on Opening Day for the best head-to-head pitching matchups you could see at some point during the season, Stephen Strasburg vs. Tim Lincecum surely would have made the short list.

As it turns out, this isn't quite as marquee a showdown as you would have expected, because Lincecum (6-12, 5.35 ERA) hasn't been his Cy Young self most of the year. Don't sell "The Freak" short, though, especially inside AT&T Park, where he still boasts a 3.66 ERA and 1.297 WHIP this season.

As for Strasburg, this outing will provide plenty more fodder both for those who support and those who deride the Nationals' plan to shut him down before season's end. If the right-hander dominates, it will only enrage the naysayers to question Mike Rizzo's sanity even more than they already have. If he struggles, the supporters will insist this is further evidence Rizzo know exactly what he's doing.

Two points: 1) It's truly unfortunate this debate has consumed so many people and in the process taken attention away from both Strasburg's actual performance and the Nationals' best-in-baseball season, and 2) It doesn't matter one lick what anyone thinks or says about this matter, because Rizzo made up his mind almost one year ago and he's not about to change it now.

So how about we just enjoy today's event in San Francisco for what it is: A potentially fantastic ballgame between two of the best teams in baseball, each of which is sending a fantastic young pitcher to the mound in search of a series victory?

I'm not there, unfortunately, but given the early start time and the significance of the game, I'll have some thoughts to share along the way, so please be sure to check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 3:45 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
Weather: Sunny, 65 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Doc - Aug 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Amen, bro!

2. alexva - Aug 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Mark, you correctly summed up the decision "it was made a year ago". the fact that the Nats are in the hunt has brought out the ignorant jock mentality that says you have to go for it no matter what. I wonder how the NFL would answer the question given that their former players are claiming that they we sent out on the field without concern for their well being? A claim that will cost them many millions.

3. Laddie Blah Blah - Aug 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Rizzo made the right decision last year, and he is not about to change it now. We support the decision because we want SS to have a long and successful career, and for the Nats to have his services for as long as he is with the team. They can win it all without him, this year, and will be even better when he comes back next year.Rizzo has built this team to last. SS will have many other chances, thanks partly to Rizzo and his determination to look out for SS's long term health as well as for the Nats long-term interests.

4. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Ahh.. Baseball…thankful for an actual game at a civilized hour!GO STRAS! GO BATS.. Beat Timmy to a pulp. (yes, I know that sounds vicious, but hey, I want to win today). Good to see Beast back in the lineup (hey, I am on twitter)

5. Pilchard - Aug 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Generally agree, but would only add that its not as easy as saying "The decision was made a year ago and will not change" as no one, not even Rizzo thought that the Nats would have the best record in baseball (and the favorite to play in the W-S) when SS was going to be shutdown in 2012. Even the most optimistic Nats fans believed that contending for a WC spot was the highest upside for this team in 2012. Part of the calculus for shutting down SS in 2012 was the Nats would have better chances in 2013 and 2014 to win a W-S than 2012. That assumption is no longer a given. The Nats lofty status as the leading NL contender for the pennant does change the dynamic as there would be no debate about shutting down SS if the Nats were currently 55-59.If the Nats shutdown SS in September and the Nats lose a close playoff series without him, and then in 2013 and 2014 that team is beset by injuries or other circumstances that keeps them from contending, the issue will linger and justfiably so.

6. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Part of the calculus for shutting down SS in 2012 was the Nats would have better chances in 2013 and 2014 to win a W-S than 2012. Where has Rizzo ever been quoted as saying this? I think you are assuming it.

7. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The "issue will linger" no matter what happens, and Rizzo knew that a year ago, too. There are no possible circumstances where he will not be hearing about this for the rest of his life. Rizzo knows that.

8. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I am just stunned that there is even a debate over this. I heard some idiot actually say that free agent would be less likely to want to go to the Nats if they shut SS down. What planet are these morons from. I bet 99.9% of players will be more inclined to play for an organization that cares about them in the long run rather than an organization that would be the first to throw you under the bus if your arm gave out.Only a buffoon thinks Strass should keep pitching after the 160 innings

9. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

of the .001% that would not play for Nats if Strass is shut down I would not want on this team any way, because I guarantee that player is a loser of a human being any way

10. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Mike Rizzo to all morons: Kiss my A–

11. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Well, that's a little harsh. I'd take Orel Hersheiser in his prime, even with this rotation. They have a different set of values. These guys would trade their pitching arm for a title, and in some cases have done so, and would do it again if they could. It's their arm, their career, they get to say what's important to them. But they don't get to make this call, Rizzo does.

12. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Ask David Clyde if wishes the Texas Rangers gave a rats you know what about him back in 1973-75? You know what that organization was until about 2008??? Losers!!!

13. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM

My Zofa thank God Rizzo makes this call!

14. smurff - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM

222, pRAA, Tcostant, thanks for the good info on playoff rosters from the previous post. I was a little unclear on the rules. Haven't really had to think about that too much in the past.

15. Tcostant - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I agree with Rizzo's decision to shut Stras down. My only reservation, was the quote from Oral Hershiser's quote in Stark's article that says he wouldn't trade two more years at the end of his career for that 1988 World Series.For those who don't remember, Hershiser was abused that year in the playoffs, starting and also in the pen. The fact that he would want to oitch know it could cost him, is most interesting…

16. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

OK, Seabiscuit is still dead. Just checking.

17. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Mick.. the Baffoon was none other than Leo Mazzone (Pitching coach for the Braves in the 90's) He used Steve Avery as his example. STEVE BLEEEPIN AVERY who was washed up by the time he was 25 because the Braves blew out his arm.And Little Gio's dad said one of the consideration' as to why the Kid Signed was they felt the Nats would take care of him!!! (he of the delicate UCL muscle).And by the way.. Mick's on fire today.

18. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Michele, that's just the brandy.

19. bigfitzva - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Wouldn't 8-2 on this road trip taste sweet on the plane ride home?

20. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I respect all views. I think what angers me is that the same national baseball pundits that are all over Rizzo for shutting down Strass will be the first (I GUARANTEE IT) to criticize, and be-little Rizzo as a GM, if Stras gets hurt by not being shut down. What irks me is that nobody will hold any of these zealots accountable, that is why I am upset about this discussion and why Rizzo should tell them all to take a flying you know what

21. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM

MicheleS, yes indeed, that is who I heard on 980.BTW: I am not drinking, lol

22. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM

23. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM

There's no accountability for being loud and wrong, Mick.

24. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

The "issue will linger" no matter what happens,Yep. Even more so if Stras pitches into the playoffs, and ends up being a has-been at age 25. Then he can join the pantheon of "coulda woulda" pitching stars that flamed out at too young an age: Mark Fydrich, Mark Prior, Wayne Garland, Herb Score, Denny McLain, etc etc etc

25. Exposremains - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I might be wrong but I tend to get the sense that Rizzo has more pride than sympathy. I'm also suprised to learn that the Nats have apparently become one the leading figure in fixing injuries. How many times in the past few years a player is suppose to miss a few days and he misses a few months. They were protecting Stras when he first came up and he still got hurt.I'm glad I don't have to take the decision about Stras because it could go either way.

26. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Trying again, with a less-mixed message. Hopefully.Mazzone isn't crazy, but he disagrees, because he's looking at it from the point of view that considers winning to be everything. Rizzo is not. But Leo is right about one thing: Strasburg will have the opportunity, if he chooses, to say, "Up yours, I'm going to play for a team that will let me blow out my arm in exchange for a ring." In about six years, IIRC. If he still wants to. And hasn't blown it out already.

27. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM

28. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Zection 3, My Zofa said…There's no accountability for being loud and wrong, Mick.I hear you, lolWonk… great post, but McClain I am not sure I would put into that category. He began with Tigers in 1966, won 31 games in 1968 and everyone forgets, he went 24-9 in 1969. Many of his wins he went a full 9 innings as did many pitchers back then. Remember, Denny was tossed out of MLB for gambling and missed all of the 1970 season. We DC dudes know very well what happened in January of 1971, we made one of the worst trades in history to get McClain. Ted Williams and the Nats did not know that Denny had an alcohol and a drug addiction. Denny burned out in 1971, more because of his drug habit than his arm

29. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM

30. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Zection 3, My Zofa Agreed on Bo Jackson…. very sad

31. bowdenball - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Zection 3, My Zofa said…Mazzone isn't crazy, but he disagrees, because he's looking at it from the point of view that considers winning to be everything. Rizzo is not. That's not really accurate. Rizzo, I assume, is looking at it from the viewpoint that the increased chance of winning from 2013-2016 and potentially thereafter if they extend Strasburg offsets the decreased chance of winning in 2012. It's all about what leads to the most success for the team. If Rizzo cares about the individual's future in the sport other than as a member of the Nats, it's only because it makes the Nats look like a class organization to do so. It's a kid's arm, not his heart or brain- and an already rich kid at that. There's no ethical question here. It's about the success of the Washington Nationals, and that's it.

32. mick - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Zofa… your breaking my heart, Darryl Stingley. very very sad and so unnecessary, shame on Jack Tatum!

33. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Bowdenball, thanks for that clarification; it is actually what I was thinking (but not typing). I should have said "winning *championships* is everything."

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Detwiler will now pitch Friday and EJax on Saturday

35. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM

On second thought, nevermind the other question, I was just trying to change the subject, but there's no good way to ask that.

36. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Ghost, so does that line up Strasburg for Tuesday vs. ATL?Fri=Detwiler, Sat=Jax, Sun=Znn, Mon=Gio, Tues=Strasburg?

37. realdealnats - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Zofa–Bo's on the short list, and haven't really pondered this but how about Tony Conigliaro?

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Zofa, Yes for Stras, Gio stays on Sunday though.

39. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM

The problem with that question is, there's no good way to limit it so Chapman, Dale Earnhardt, &c., aren't the obvious answers. So I retracted it. Sorry.

40. realdealnats - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Or Herb Score.

41. smurff - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM

(sigh) Can't even escape the shutdown discussion on NI now…

42. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Cool. Have tickets for Tuesday night.

43. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Mark started it!!; )I'm trying to change the subject, Smurff.

44. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Bye bye Melky Cabrera. CHEATER. Won't play today

45. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

MELKI CABRERA HAS BEEN SUSPENDED FOR 50 GAMES>Don't think he will be in the lineup today!Jon Morosi‏@jonmorosiWow. Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games without pay after positive test for testosterone. Sock to gut for #SFGiants pennant hopes

46. GYFNG - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Whoa, Melky 50 day suspension.

47. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM

As I wrote 2 days ago when I wrote out the rest of the season schedule, they would realign however I had it happening in September to setup the Braves not realizing they were doing it now for Monday's Braves series

48. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Some would say this course for Stras was set a year ago. I would argue that this course was set the day he found out he was having the surgery. If anything, Stras and JZim have been a little bit ahead of schedule. Too much short term instant gratification, too little long term common sense. I hope Rizzo knows ( not that he cares), that a lot of Nats fans support him. I am upset because at a time where we should be so happy about our team, the other 24 guys are basically being told they are nothing without one guy that plays less than 20% of the time. There is a great story being played out on the field and a lot of people are missing it.

49. realdealnats - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Speaking of Herb Score, how about those vicious comebackers at Det and was it Gio? Can't remember the second pitcher for sure b/c I think Gorzo caught still a third slightly less vicious one. But three in just a couple days. Lucky. On the happier topics: Stras wins the duel, we get just enough timely hitting and go home fat and sassy.

50. Exposremains - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM

A prediction on cabrera, he will have no idea how it got into him

51. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Ghost, I thought part of the reason was to get Gio, a lefty, pitching against the Braves?

52. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM

MicheleS. yes. Oh, if you have chance, you want to listen to the Baseball Today podcast. At the very end they "discuss" the SS shutdown. I laughed so hard, it put things in perspective. I get mad at the national media/pundits etc. because they take the joy out of this wonderful season. (1) All the stupid plans for 6-man rotation, shut down startup are not only medically ill-advised, they also risk Stras not pitching very well if he's not on his routine–and what exactly is the point of Stras pitching if he pitches badly?(2) Why are we (and Rizzo) being punished because the team is playing better than expected? '(3) If losing Stras for the playoffs is a 2-5% off what having him would be (vs. other pitchers and he's not a position player after all), I'll take being a 2-5% lesser team for minimizing the risk to Stras' future and that of the franchise.

53. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Braves fans are elated about Melky's suspension.Also, since the All Star break the Giants are 1st in team runs scored led by Melky.A shame they waited until today.

54. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Eh, maybe Mazzone should go back to rocking back and forth in the dugout, or studio, or wherever it is he does that these days. Just a thought. :-) (otoh, I appreciate Mark's observations on the whole shutdown speculation frenzy.)Mick, someone on a recent thread nominated you for comeback commenter of the year. I'm with them. You've been on a roll lately.On a game note: Go, SS! Go, NATS BATS!! (Timmy, you don't need to go. Buster either. At least not today. Mr. Belt can if he wants to, but only on the basepaths, and only when there's no chance for him to reach safely. He knows the drill. kaythxbai.)

55. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

BTW, listened to the call-ins on 980, and I would say close to 100% support for Rizzo, and pretty close to 100% on the other station. Gotta run to work. Go NATS!

56. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Oh, and yay for Gio on Sunday, when I have tix. :-)

57. Tcostant - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:54 PM

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera has received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Cabrera is effective immediately.

58. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

NatsLady!!! You were great! If I can find it on there page, I am going to post it!

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Zofa, I was told the same thing was lining up Gio but they also wanted JZim for Monday.Expect one more alignment after the day-off on September 13th prior to that away series in Atlanta.

60. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

61. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

No word on a appeal, or if he's getting Braun's lawyers?

62. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

btw, was watching a Giants broadcast on a recent CA trip, and Melky had inspired a strangely disquieting fan homage. Two guys walk into AT&T Park, see, and they're wearing cow costumes (yes, dairy cows, stick with me here). One of the guys is carrying a poster as well. It says something like "It's my birthday. Melk me." Uh, okay. :-)

63. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

At least Melky came clean:Andrew Baggarly‏@CSNBaggsStatement from Melky: "My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used. I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."

64. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Ummm, thanks for sharing, 1a. I think…

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Of course Atlanta flies into SFG next week and don't face Melky.

66. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Or on the Fed Ex guys? :-)Zection 3, My Zofa said… No word on a appeal, or if he's getting Braun's lawyers?

67. Zection 3, My Zofa - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

OK, work work work …

68. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Agreed, Michele. At least he didn't make up a story.

69. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Zection 3, My Zofa said… No word on a appeal, or if he's getting Braun's lawyers? August 15, 2012 2:56 PM ________________________________He already used up his appeal process and they kept it all secretive as Braun's should have been also.

70. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Yeah, should do some actual work, too.

71. Exposremains - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Prediction wrong.. He admits it.. Good for him, i guess.

72. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:01 PM

natsfan1a said… Agreed, Michele. At least he didn't make up a story. August 15, 2012 2:59 PM ________________________________Fact is, he cheated, he got caught and he was having a MVP type of season. Coincidence?If he in fact exhausted all appeals and was still suspended, what else does he have to say?

73. realdealnats - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM

1A & Mick–Good Memory 1A. That was me but I called him Comeback Blogger of the Year. Commenter actually sounds better.Mick, someone on a recent thread nominated you for comeback commenter of the year. I'm with them. You've been on a roll lately.________________________________________________ The Force is what gives a jedi his power Mick!

74. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Yes, I do understand that he cheated and got caught. Once they're caught, they tend to either fess up or deny. I can acknowledge the fact that someone told the truth about their actions without my condoning those actions, which I don't.

75. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

If losing Stras for the playoffs is a 2-5% off what having him would beEven more importantly, when considering all the options — let's not forget that the playoffs is a crap shoot — and, therefore, let's not forget the total nightmare scenario that doesn't seem to have been considered: the Nats *do* extend Stras to the playoffs, the Nats don't make the world series, and Stras blows out his arm towards the end of next season.I applaud Rizzo for rejecting the "win now, win this year at all costs" point of view. He views his job as building a dynasty, not a one-shot-WS-and-done attitude.

76. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Masn 2 listing pre game but it's not on.

77. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

A claim that will cost them many millions.Over 200 players and counting? Make that billions as a now deceased Astronomer might say.

78. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Thanks, realdeal. I couldn't recall who'd said it.

79. realdealnats - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

1A–"Melk me." Creepy thought. Maybe it was his melk that tested positive.

80. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Anyone getting pre-game? Want to hear the full story from FP.

81. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Melky hit a double and scored a run yesterday in his final game of 2012. He went from .809 to .906 OPS raising his OPS almost 100 points in a career year.

82. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Let's not forget the total nightmare scenario that doesn't seem to have been considered: the Nats *do* extend Stras to the playoffs, the Nats don't make the world series, and Stras blows out his arm towards the end of next season.And for further reference on a point that is often bypassed or worded so that it seems less consequential, see Wood, Kerry and Giggleman's Island in Chicago Cubs land.Finally, Rizzo doesn't plan on a one-and-done deal. He hired a talented brain trust to take as much guess work as possible out of winning. In other words welcome back Joe Gibbs I baseball style. And far more enjoyable given that this is still the National Pastime, the huge challenge of 162 games, and then too many playoff games.

83. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Re: McLain (only one "c")He began with Tigers in 1966, won 31 games in 1968 and everyone forgets, he went 24-9 in 1969… Denny was tossed out of MLB for gambling and missed all of the 1970 season.We DC dudes know very well what happened in January of 1971, we made one of the worst trades in history to get McClain. Ted Williams and the Nats did not know that Denny had an alcohol and a drug addiction. Denny burned out in 1971, more because of his drug habit than his arm I wonder. McLain did play some of the 1970 season (3-5, 4.63) before the suspension, and looked bad. I can't help but think that 325+ innings two years in a row at age 24 and 25 might have had something to do with that.

84. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

So I guess now that Melky has been "shutdown" his team has absolutely no chance to get to the play offs ever again. Right?Guess not eh? Good one.

85. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Wonk, the "win now" is still there and just without Stras in mid-September.It isn't like they are handing the ball to some 5.00 ERA guy.I think it is well overblown and the discussion just won't stop.

86. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Swami is it on MASN?

87. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Gregor Blanco will be Melky's replacement. I think he was in Nats AAA last year.

88. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

In other words welcome back Joe Gibbs I baseball style.Funny you should say that. I'm a big Davey fan from the 1980's Mets, and it drove me nuts that some folks, last summer, on this blog, kept comparing Davey to Joe Gibbs-II.

89. Schumatrix - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

90. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Wonk, the "win now" is still there Right, but not "at all costs"

91. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Gonat.. as we have heard from a lot of these players – they have excuses, a B Vitamin shot, ate tainted brownies, whatever lame excuse they come up with. At least he came clean. He cheated, got caught, got suspended, and probably cost his team a chance at the post season. He could have BS'd everyone, but he didn't. Doesn't excuse the cheating.

92. DannyEllinosa - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

No Pregame on MASN2 on Verizon 501 in PG County

93. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Schumatrix. Bram is first and foremost a football fan. That should explain his entire mentality completely.

94. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

No, Michele – O's are on masn. The tv listing says 3:00, but it's that push pause thing.Hoped it would kick on at 3:15 for the 3:45 start, but not yet. Will have to get on the phone and start fussing.

95. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Swami.. Bizarre.Nationals on MASN‏@masnNationalsWho's ready for some afternoon baseball? Coverage for #Nats – #Giants begins at 3pm on MASN2 HD!

96. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Swami what cable system are you on? I can tweet them too.

97. Tcostant - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Schumatrix -I'm shocked that Bram Weinstein said that. Bram use to live in the area and was part of our season ticket group that second year at RFK. Frankly I'm can believe this is the same person who said this. I'm speechless.

98. Wendell - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM

No Nats on RCN either

99. DannyEllinosa - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Spoke to MASN and they assured me that FP & Bob would be on at game time… "pregame show had a problem out of their control" Here's MASN # +1 410 625 7100

100. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

FIOS ON hold with verizon — high call volume!!!!! Someone try masn?

101. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Thanks!!!

102. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

MicheleS, after the players exhaust all efforts and start serving their suspension, most of them say "I made a mistake". Apologize and move on.The fact is, Melky's entire season and that All Star MVP is now in question. He was having a career season.

103. Schumatrix - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Tcostant- I didn't know that Bram was from the area, but he sounded like a complete idiot on the radio. He started by saying that JZimm might be their best pitcher, and they had a good rotation, then he went on to say that without Stras they had no chance. The lack of logic in his argument hurt my brain. Though I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN has changed his views on sports topics, they're like the evil empire.

104. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Freaking MASN had to have the O's replay on MASN 1

105. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Nats game now on MASN 2

106. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

This tv "deal" is a joke.

107. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Gonat, some do, some don't see, Palmero.But yes, it questions his entire last 2 season's which is wear career years.

108. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Ok. On now. I get one afternoon off in weeks, just want to settle in. Better now.

109. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

It isn't like they are handing the ball to some 5.00 ERA guy.If it ends up being Lannan they almost are. But its nice to see Ryan Perry proving that his old team the Tigers should have let him have a chance to start! Like he probably asked them? Makes me wonder about the idiots in player development in Detroit, elicits more confidence in Rizzo, Clark, Davey, et al.

110. Swift Eagle - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Mazzone was not quite as much of a "genius" as the O's pitching coach….So Giants LF gets caught for PEDs, but His name isn't Bonds…hmmmm

111. Bzl. - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I am SO sick of shutdown Strasburg jibber jabber that I *almost* hope he gets absolutely shelled today. Everyone in the world (except Nats fan??? why is that??) is so convinced that it is a grave, fatal, world-errupting mistake to shut him down. I'm totally in support of Rizzo on this. I'm thankful for the season that's been and look forward to the rest of it, regardless of how many Aces we have!

112. Tcostant - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Schumatrix as someone pointed out, he is more a football guy. He use to do an afternoon show on sports radio in this area with Larry Larry Michael before heading to the four letter network.As I said, I'm shocked. I though Bram was smarter than that!

113. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

swami, agreed re. the tv deal. MASN 1 (Verizon) suddenly broke into Push Pause or whatever it's called at 3:30. Bob said that "due to circumstances beyond our control" there was no pregame show, but that the postgame show would air.

114. DannyEllinosa - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

And I've never called a TV station about anything before, until I was infected with NATITUDE! Game is on! thanks MASN but sorry to miss Johnny & Ray and all the splendid pregame show advertising…

115. Tcostant - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Speaking of Mazzone, I just went and listen to the Mike & Mike podcast, he blasted the O's within the first minute. Retirement is not treating this guy well.

116. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Personally, I'm "outraged" that ESPN exists. ;-)Schumatrix said… So I wach ESPN (probably because I'm a sado-masochist), and on the Scott Van Pelt show, a Bram Weinstein said that we should, as Nats fans, be "outraged," because we're shutting down our best pitcher, and without him, have no chance. He, along with the rest of the dopes on that station believe that our guys are terrible and Stras is carrying the team on his back. I don't know why I watch those boneheads anymore. August 15, 2012 3:14 PM

117. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

This third base coach and his band are a great story, raising money for their fan that got beat up. nice.

118. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Michele, The whole PED drug culture is still alive which can be seen by the numbers of Minor Leaguers who are suspended and guys like Melky but in much smaller numbers luckily. Players generally know when they will be tested. I believe that's why some prominent players have slow starts as they time when they will cycle their PEDs after their 1st test. My guess is Melky's test was a surprise test but I don't know for sure.

119. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

And Clemens, and Bonds, and Braun, and…* *Unless you believe their stories.Gonat, some do, some don't see, Palmero.

120. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Tcostant, do you think Bram writes his own script? ESPN my man! They are going to milk the Strasburg controversy for all its worth.

121. natsfan1a - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM

swami, yes, I was watching the Giants network (which is way better than MASN, dang it) on my flight to CA and there was a feature that included a discussion of the fundraiser they had for him.Anyhoo, on to the game.

122. DannyEllinosa - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Totally in support of Rizzo to shutdown Strasburg. He's already helped bring us this far and the TEAM can do the rest as much as the baseball Gods will permit. Yes it does stink for Stras, regardless if win it all or lose in the playoffs. But his long-term health and long-term usefulness to the NATS is paramount.

123. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I like Lombo leading off. Always takes pitches and makes contact.

124. Tcostant - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Gonat I really don't know, but sad if that's true. Bram hasn't spoken to me since when Zorn was hired and I told him that move reminded me when the Giants hired Ray Handley after Parcells "retired"; as I said then they were both "off-season" coordinators who were “promoted” to head coach before every being an OC in game. Bram didn’t like that; I think I was dead on.

125. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

baseballswami said… I like Lombo leading off. Always takes pitches and makes contact. August 15, 2012 3:48 PM _____________________________He is a contact man but he is also lucky at times when he bloops a ball and it drops in like he just did.He has hit so many seeing eye hits I have lost count.Lucky or making his own luck? I think a little bit of both as it shows what happens when you make contact.

126. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM

For some reason, I was looking at Ubaldo's contract on Cots. He has incentives for being Cy Young winner, even for placing 2-5 in the voting. His contract is LOADED with incentives. Don't know what Melky's contract is like but seems to me that's an invitation to take PED's. Except in cases like CMW (injury) seems to me you are better off with a contract that pays you for what they think you are worth based on history.

127. Swift Eagle - Aug 15, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Already 27 pitches for big Time Timmy …

128. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Make him work.

129. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Jayson!!!!!

130. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM

NatsLady, Melky is most likely a Free Agent after the season. How much money did he just leave on the table with this?Melky's numbers were very good in KC and he seemed to turn his career around last year and this year stepped up to superstar level.Now we don't know if he was a user last year and beat the system.

131. Ron In Reston - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:02 PM

WTG Jayson!!

132. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:02 PM

By the way, that "singles" hitter Jayson Werth is a bench player. That quote is from the immortal words of a constant poster here.

133. do1teach1 - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Regardless of how this game ends, it would be great if fans had the opportunity to go to the airport and welcome the team back when they arrive, in recognition of their awesome play.Is there any way to do this?

134. Ron In Reston - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Man I hate leaving the bases loaded….

135. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I like the approach. Lots of fouling off. Interesting.danny got creamed.

136. Faraz Shaikh - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM

hope he is OK. Wish SS could bat with bases loaded. :)

137. Diz - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The one argument I disagree with regarding Stras is the one where he can't and shouldn't pitch with an extra day of rest and that he should go on his regular rotation of every 5th day.Well, if you actually look at what he has done this year, you'll see it differently.Stras has had 23 starts this year.Of those 23 starts, only 12 of them have come on 4 days rest.He has had an extra days rest 7 times.2 extra days rest 3 times.And 1 on 4 extra days rest.The argument that you will screw with his mechanics/pattern/rhythm etc by altering his days off is garbage. He does it all the time.And the argument that he still throws side sessions on days off, yes he does, but as any pitcher will tell you, those are not high stress throws. No pressure and never at 100%.I still think it's a good idea to shut him down at some point, but I don't think this argument is valid, even though it is brought up constantly when discussing Stras.

138. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Still some very good hitters in this line up.

139. Bzl. - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Lyle Lovett/Nats (Wolftrap), Santana/Nats (MASN) and Grateful Dead/Nats (MASN) content on the same day. What in the world is going on here?

140. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM

By the way, that "singles" hitter Jayson Werth is a bench player. Funny — I was thinking of that when Werth came to bat. There's nobody I'd rather have up, with bases loaded and two outs, then the guy who has the best batting average and OBP — whether those hits are singles or doubles or whatever. And, just as I thought that: boom — single, two runs.

141. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Strasburg — 1-2-3 first inning, only 13 pitches. I love it when that happens right after the Nats score two runs!

142. Ron In Reston - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Nice inning for SS, no Ks – no problem

143. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Well put Diz. Thanks for doing the research. Now that we are in the homestretch of the season, I don't see anything wrong with maximizing Stras's value by giving him extra rest to set up a matchup against the Braves or against a RH heavy club. There's no way that is going to ruin him for this year or next. Davey is already playing with the rotation order, as he should, to get the matchups and the bullpen management situation he wants. I also think that Pilchard made a good point at the beginning of the thread. Rizzo made his decision, and all of us climbed on board, back when the idea of the Nats having the best record in baseball on Aug. 14 was a total pipedream. The "what-if" question seemed far-fetched then, and now it has come to pass. It's hard to believe that the plan wouldn't have been any different, if Rizzo had had a crystal ball about the Nats success.Like you, I'm fine with shutting him down at some point though. I've drunk Rizzo's Kool-Aid on that question, and it tastes just fine thank you.

144. blovy8 - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Not surprising, everyone knows Melk has been pumped full of hormones recently…

145. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM

And, just as I thought that: boom — single, two runs.No matter what excuse you make, how you slice it if this franchise is geared toward the longhaul (See Strasburg, shutdown) then Jayson Werth and his contract just do not fit. He is not aging well. He is a singles hitter and the Nats payed for a consistent run producer. His first two years have shown that he may no longer be capable of doing that consistently ever again. He might have another decent year … but years in a row up to when he is 38? Anyone who believes that is delusional or doesn't really watch baseball. Corey Brown is cheaper, younger and a better athlete than Werth yet now Ladson is quoting sources claiming he or Eury Perez aren't good enough? And they are the homegrown future? And now you have to go outside?There is something definitely very contradictory and hypocritical about that and if that source is really feeding Ladson that bullcrap (and you never know it might his propensity to make wild guesses) it just won't fly .

146. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Love Lombo Leadoff.

147. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM

OTOH, 14 balls in his first 23 pitches ain't good.

148. Ron In Reston - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Back to back walks not a good thing

149. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Diz, I made that point before also and a couple of people told me it wouldn't work. If Rizzo is going to shut him down at 162 it probably won't matter anyway.If Rizzo is willing to go with more innings, I think skipping 2 starts may get Stephen into the playoffs.So much will depend on Stephen's performances because if he isn't pitching well on September 1st, it's a moot point.

150. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:29 PM

No matter what excuse you make, Who's making an excuse? Werth's OBP is over .500 since coming back. I expect, like Morse earlier this season, it'll take a bit longer to get his power back. We'll see.

151. Ron In Reston - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:31 PM

The walks will kill you Stephen :/

152. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Those darn leadoff walks.

153. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:32 PM

The two guys who walk are the two guys who scored.Sigh . . .

154. Schumatrix - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM

And that's why you can't walk people, ladies and gents.

155. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Actually, I don' think Davey would mind Stras pitching on an extra day of rest. The problem is when you skip starts and it becomes 8 days of rest. Also, none of these "plans" lead to him pitching in the playoffs, only to him pitching later in September.There is also the question of how much time off do you want him to have—five full months? Six full months? Because the off-season is also key to recovery.

156. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Yes, Werth's power has dropped off. I don't see it as a big deal given his high OPS driven by the higher BA.Last year when he showed some power they complained about his OBP and clutch numbers.There's a reason why he isn't a #3 or #4 hitter.

157. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM

NatsLady, if 180 is the number, you can get Stras into post-season by skipping 2 starts and a few games with an extra days rest. Probably just 1 to 2 starts in post-season max.A lot of -ifs-

158. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Who's making an excuse? Werth's OBP is over .500 since coming back. I expect, like Morse earlier this season, it'll take a bit longer to get his power back. We'll see.Again, no matter how you slice it Werth is not "Werth" the 21 million he will be paid when he is 38. The time to earn that higher salary is now. He isn't doing it.

159. Schumatrix - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

GOOOOOOOT HEEEEEEEEEEEEM

160. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Nice at bat from Danny!

161. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I Love that Danny is Hitting again!!! YEA!!! I can bring out my Espinosa Jersey Again!!!

162. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Danny Espinosa crushed that ball. There's your 2 run cushion back Stras. Don't lose it this time.

163. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Well, Danny sure has the hang of AT&T Park!!!!!

164. baseballswami - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM

The problem with "adjusting" any of Stras' starts is that you can't possibly do it without messing with the other pitchers. Can we all just say no.

165. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Me thinks Espinosa may end up deserving the 21 million when Werth is 38 … and perhaps a bit more.

166. Ron In Reston - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM

THAT'S how you respond to a HBP, Danny! Nice job.

167. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Again, no matter how you slice it Werth is not "Werth" the 21 million he will be paid when he is 38.I don't care about that and I don't think anybody is discussing that. What I care about is whether he helps the Nats _this_ year.

168. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Lincecum at 73 pitches after three innings.

169. djinFl. - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM

You nailed it Swami.

170. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Where was this offense yesterday?

171. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM

swami, we're all saying no. Just testing out the ammunition to defend our honor–Rizzo's honor. One of the callers said his respect for the Nats' organization went through the roof because of Rizzo's integrity. When you live in a town that goes for short term gains and is constantly kicking the bucket down the road so they don't have to take the heat (Congress, I'm looking at you), Rizzo is some kind of contrast. I still remember the Pine-Tar game when Stras' glove was examined and he said, "I don't cheat." Really, really, really hope that is the policy on this team, no exceptions. We can't know, of course.

172. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Felix Hernandez pitching against the Rays in Seattle…..15 up 15 down through 5.

173. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Gonat.. I think Big Time Timmy Jim is just not right this year. Charlie/Dave were speculating earlier that he was injured.

174. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM

djinFl. said… You nailed it Swami. August 15, 2012 4:50 PM _______________________________Gio, JZim and Stras will all pitch on 5 days rest next and EJax with 6 days rest.McCatty adjusts the sidework all the time according to start schedules.Some of you are over-complicating the issue. The issue does start with Stras pitching well into September. It wasn't an issue with JZim last year as his arm told everyone he was done.

175. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM

When you live in a town that goes for short term gains and is constantly kicking the bucket down the road so they don't have to take the heat (Congress, I'm looking at you)Funny — I thought you were talking about the Redskins!!

176. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 8:57 PM

177. NatsLady - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM

How could they think of sending Lombo down? Options, shmoptions.

178. peric - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I don't care about that and I don't think anybody is discussing that. What I care about is whether he helps the Nats _this_ yearWhile I'm a BIG-TIME proponent of Rizzo and Johnson's philosophy that says this is not a one-and-done franchise. Its built for the long haul. And that works best when good prospects prosper under player development and attend a good finishing school in the majors. Jayson Werth has not lived up to any and all expectations relative to that philosophy. He is not the older player that plays like he is young that we were sold on. He is now blocking young, high-ceiling potential run producers that might be developed on the inside. He is blocking moves to acquire such players from the outside. UNLESS he becomes an expensive bench bat. Then he would have a role.And those are in fact the veritable guiding principles of this organization. Player development must walk hand-in-hand with winning or its no dice.Therefore, I completely and utterly reject your statement Wonk.

179. Ghost Of Steve M. - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM

NatsJack, what did I say yesterday. Felix would instantly be the best pitcher in the NL

180. Dan - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM

When you live in a town that goes for short term gains and is constantly kicking the bucket down the road so they don't have to take the heat (Congress, I'm looking at you), Rizzo is some kind of contrast. I still remember the Pine-Tar game when Stras' glove was examined and he said, "I don't cheat." Really, really, really hope that is the policy on this team, no exceptions. We can't know, of course.I've been a lurker here since the beginning, have really enjoyed many,but not all ;) comments. Until today I haven't had a pressing need to say anything. But the post by NatsLady quoted above (whose comments I have always respected) forces me say thank you. You are so correct. And most normal human beings recognize integrity — or lack of same — pretty clearly. Why Rizzo will always attract quality players and people.

181. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM

NatsLady.. Lombo.. I hope he stays too. I would rather have Tyler go back to AAA and get some more playing time.

182. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM

183. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM

King Felix just struck out the side in the 6th.18 up….18 down.

184. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM

NatsLady said… How could they think of sending Lombo down? Options, shmoptions. August 15, 2012 5:01 PM ____________________________Who suggested that? You don't send a hot man out.

185. Schumatrix - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Has Zim been taking his cortizone?

186. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Well, no runs in the 4th, but Lincecum is up to 98 pitches.

187. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Gonat.. Kilgore!!!! he of course is now reconsidering his earlier tweets about LomboAdam Kilgore‏@AdamKilgoreWPI had thought Lombardozzi may be the guy to go down when Desmond comes back. May re-think that after this series.

188. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM

MicheleS said… NatsJack/Ghost..The King is just filthy today. Just saw the last 1/2 inning. Granted,the Rays aren't exactly a murders row, but Felix is mowing them down like they are little leaguers. August 15, 2012 5:05 PM _______________________________________If I could choose today any 4 pitchers, King Felix, Verlander, Hamels, JZim(Calm down, Strasburg would be on my list next year.)

189. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Therefore, I completely and utterly reject your statement Wonk. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I started with the simple statement: when bases are loaded and two outs, there's nobody I want batting more than a guy who's leading the team in BA and OBP. I still stand by it. You reject it. Fine. I'm happy he singled in two runs just then.

190. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Did Carp say we don't see RA Dickey this weekend? I hope so! that knuckler messes with the bats too much

191. Section 222 - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Asserting that Werth doesn't play well enough to justify his huge contract and will not perform at a high level 5 years from now is completely different from saying that he's washed up now should be benched immediately in favor of Brown, Perez, or even Bernadina. The first is definitely arguable and probably right, notwithstanding his clubhouse influence and other intangibles. The second is borderline crazy. He hit a triple and scored, threw out a runner at home, and made a fine running catch last night. Today he drove in two runs with a clutch two out, two strike single.

192. Melissa Rabey - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Man, I feel for Lombo. On third three times, and he's only been brought home once. And another walk, Stras? Tell me again why people are debating the shutdown?

193. slidell2 - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Tim is gone.

194. rogieshan - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Ain't likely to happen, but if it were based purely on current production, Harper is the guy who should go down when Desmond returns and Bernadina gets the center-field gig for a few weeks.

195. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM

222 — well put.

196. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… I think Desi needs to go on a rehab assignment although Davey is saying its not the plan.Davey has his system which has backfired in the case of Storen as he needed to get his form back in AAA and some may say the same for others.I think Tyler Moore if Morse is ok could benefit playing every day which amounts to less than 15 days as he can be called back up as a September callup.August 15, 2012 11:02 AM _______________________________I read this in the morning. Did you post this based on info you were given?

197. A DC Wonk - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM

George Kontos pitching for Giants. He's pretty good, but he's not a long man. He's gone as much as two innings in just three of his 26 appearances.

198. MicheleS - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Sec 222.. a gentleman and a scholar.

199. Gonat - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM

MicheleS, Dickey is not scheduled for the weekend.