Aug 15, 2012, 11:04 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche congratulates Danny Espinosa following his two-run homer.
Game in a nutshell: The Stephen Strasburg-Tim Lincecum pitching showdown was overshadowed first by news of Melky Cabrera's 50-game suspension after testing positive for testosterone, then by Lincecum's ineffective start. The Nationals knocked the struggling, two-time Cy Young Award winner out after only four innings, getting his pitch count all the way up to 96. Strasburg, meanwhile, battled his way through a laborious second inning and wound up tossing six strong frames to earn his 14th win of the season. Throw in some timely hits from Jayson Werth (2-for-4, three RBI), Danny Espinosa (2-run homer) and Steve Lombardozzi (4-for-5) and the Nationals emerged with a series victory, an 8-2 road trip and will return home still holding baseball's best record at 73-45.
Hitting highlight: How important has Werth been to the Nationals' overall fortunes since returning from the disabled list? Very. With a pair of run-scoring hits today that drove in three total runs, the veteran outfielder is now hitting .402 (17-for-42) with a .490 on-baseRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September