Aug 17, 2012, 10:35 PM EST
Updated at 6:35 p.m.
Ian Desmond will take the field tonight with the Nationals, his first big-league game since a torn oblique muscle landed him on the disabled list four weeks ago. He hasn’t faced any live pitching. He hasn’t appeared in any minor-league rehab games. He’s only taken batting practice and fielding drills.
“I stuck with the routine the trainers told me to do,” Desmond said. “I’ve been feeling good. There’s no sense in dragging an extra two weeks out of it. Obviously that might have been the safe bet. But I feel good, so I’m just going to go with it.”
The Nationals officially activated Desmond off the DL prior to tonight’s game and inserted him right back in their lineup, batting sixth behind Adam LaRoche and ahead of Danny Espinosa.
To make room for their shortstop on the 25-man roster, the Nationals designated Cesar Izturis for assignment, ending the veteran infielder’s brief stay with the organization after only 10 days.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen