Aug 17, 2012, 10:35 PM EST
Updated at 6:35 p.m.
Ian Desmond will take the field tonight with the Nationals, his first big-league game since a torn oblique muscle landed him on the disabled list four weeks ago. He hasn’t faced any live pitching. He hasn’t appeared in any minor-league rehab games. He’s only taken batting practice and fielding drills.
“I stuck with the routine the trainers told me to do,” Desmond said. “I’ve been feeling good. There’s no sense in dragging an extra two weeks out of it. Obviously that might have been the safe bet. But I feel good, so I’m just going to go with it.”
The Nationals officially activated Desmond off the DL prior to tonight’s game and inserted him right back in their lineup, batting sixth behind Adam LaRoche and ahead of Danny Espinosa.
To make room for their shortstop on the 25-man roster, the Nationals designated Cesar Izturis for assignment, ending the veteran infielder’s brief stay with the organization after only 10 days.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)