Aug 17, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
After an 8-2 road trip, the Nationals return home tonight to face the Mets.
For the first time all season, the Nationals will field a lineup tonight that includes Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa, Adam LaRoche, Michael Morse, Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper. It only took until Game No. 119 for that to happen, but nobody's complaining now. "I really like, from top to bottom, our lineup," manager Davey Johnson said today.
Desmond's return from a month on the DL with an oblique tear does force one significant change: Werth becomes the Nationals' primary leadoff hitter moving forward, though Johnson did say he wants to try to find ways to get Steve Lombardozzi in the lineup whenever possible.
This new-look lineup will be facing Johan Santana, who on June 1 threw the first no-hitter in Mets history, needing 134 pitches to do it. In nine starts since, the left-hander is 3-6 with a 7.98 ERA. Yikes. Ross Detwiler gets the ball for the Nationals, bumped up a day in the rotation to avoid pitching back-to-back with fellow lefty Gio Gonzalez, who will start Sunday's series finale.
Plenty of updates to come live from the ballpark…
NEW YORK METS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 86 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'