Aug 18, 2012, 1:50 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler allowed three runs over six innings to earn a quality start.
Game in a nutshell: After an 8-2 road trip, the Nationals returned home to a fired-up crowd and a healthy Ian Desmond, who made his first appearance in nearly a month. There was some early tension in the air when the Mets pounced on Ross Detwiler for two runs in the top of the first and Johan Santana set down the first nine batters he faced. But then the suddenly deep Nationals lineup went on a rampage. The first four batters to step to the plate in the fourth all recorded hits, capped by Morse's grand slam. One inning later, Bryce Harper launched a two-run bomb to pad the lead. Those two extra runs proved important, because Detwiler gave one back in the sixth and Craig Stammen gave one more back in the seventh. No worries, because Drew Storen bounced back from a rough outing in San Francisco to toss a scoreless eighth, and Tyler Clippard finished off the ninth to start this homestand off in impressive fashion and catapult the Nationals to 29 games over the .500 mark.
Hitting highlight: Though Harper's home run might have been a more significant development in the big picture — perhaps that was the blast the rookie needed to get his season back on track — how can weRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg's changeup key in Nats' win against Phillies
- Strasburg dazzles in Span’s return
- Taylor sent down to Syracuse, hopes to develop consistency
- Nats activate Span off disabled list for Sunday's game
- Strasburg starts as Nats host Phillies in series finale
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain