Aug 19, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Gio Gonzalez seeks his 16th win in today's series finale at Nationals Park.
Davey Johnson was asked yesterday if he had any plans to sit Ian Desmond at all to keep his recovering oblique muscle from acting up again. "Tomorrow," the manager said. "But don't tell him I said that. I've already got one guy wanting to choke me to death [ie. Bryce Harper]. But just to be on the safe side, I'll probably go back to the pre-Desmond infield."
Fast-forward to this morning when the Nationals' lineup for their series finale against the Mets was posted, with Desmond listed as the starting shortstop. Jayson Werth also is in there after Johnson said he planned to rest the outfielder.
So, there you have it. I'd pass along Davey's explanation for the change-of-heart, but he doesn't hold a pregame session with reporters on Sundays, so we'll have to wait until after this game. That's assuming the game is played. There's a fairly sizable weather system approaching from the southwest, and it looks like rain is a certainty for much of the afternoon. Having said that, this is the Mets' final scheduled game in D.C. this season, which means they'll do everything they can to try to get the game in.
Stay tuned for updates…
NEW YORK METS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Thunderstorms, 80 degrees, Wind 7 mph RF to LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates