Aug 19, 2012, 10:54 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Danny Espinosa is greeted by Michael Morse following his second-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: A good number of the 33,764 who paid to attend this game actually stuck around through a 2 1/2-hour rain delay and then through the actual game, and were rewarded for their patience with another fine showing from the home club. The Nationals jumped out to a 5-0 lead thanks to a Danny Espinosa homer, a Ryan Zimmerman RBI single and an RBI triple and solo homer by Bryce Harper. That was plenty of run support for Gio Gonzalez, who labored through 5 2/3 innings but still held the Mets to one run. Craig Stammen, Michael Gonzalez and Tyler Clippard then closed it out to give the Nats another series victory. Coupled with the Braves' loss to the Dodgers, the Nationals now lead the NL East by five games heading into this week's showdown with Atlanta.
Hitting highlight: Maybe the most encouraging development of the weekend: Harper seemed to get his power stroke back. After recording a couple of hits (including a homer) on Friday, the rookie tripled andRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards