Aug 20, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats open a big, three-game series against the Braves tonight.
One of several national baseball writers who is here tonight just asked me for the last time Washington played in a series as big as this one. My answer: 1945, the last time the Senators were in a pennant race (they finished 1 1/2 games behind the Tigers for the AL title).
Yes, it's been awhile since D.C. has hosted anything along these lines, with the first-place Nationals trying to hold off the second-place Braves over the next three nights and perhaps extend their five-game lead to even greater numbers.
We've got a great pitching matchup to kick this series off: Jordan Zimmermann starts for the Nats against Braves ace Tim Hudson. All the healthy regulars are in both teams' lineups. All that's left to do is play the games.
Check back here, of course, for updates and analysis throughout…
ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 75 degrees, Wind 3 mph in from LF
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals
- Rizzo discusses Fister trade and more Nats news
- Hard not to like Fister trade for Nationals
- Nats re-sign Ohlendorf, tender contracts to 8 others
- Nats acquire Fister in 4-player trade with Tigers
- Pirates acquire catcher Chris Stewart from Yankees