Aug 20, 2012, 1:28 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Bryce Harper recorded his 12th homer and his sixth triple of the season.
There’s no player inside the Nationals clubhouse who holds himself to a higher standard than Bryce Harper. That’s what happens when you spend most of your 19 years under an intense spotlight and and do things to this point no ballplayer has ever done.
So it’s not surprising Harper is kind of down on himself these days as he battles through the first prolonged slump of his life. Not only is he not leading his team in every offensive category, but he’s actually being benched every once in a while by a manager who is simply trying to get the most out of the 25 players on his roster.
Stop, though, and consider how much Harper has already accomplished in less than four months in the big leagues. He’s hit 12 homers (the latest coming Sunday during a 5-2 victory over the Mets). He’s totaled 34 extra-base hits. He’s scored 65 runs. He’s stolen 13 bases.
Most importantly, he’s been a significant contributor on a first-place club, and he’s done it at the age of 19.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Updated: Span leaves Tuesday's game with injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff