Aug 20, 2012, 1:28 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Bryce Harper recorded his 12th homer and his sixth triple of the season.
There’s no player inside the Nationals clubhouse who holds himself to a higher standard than Bryce Harper. That’s what happens when you spend most of your 19 years under an intense spotlight and and do things to this point no ballplayer has ever done.
So it’s not surprising Harper is kind of down on himself these days as he battles through the first prolonged slump of his life. Not only is he not leading his team in every offensive category, but he’s actually being benched every once in a while by a manager who is simply trying to get the most out of the 25 players on his roster.
Stop, though, and consider how much Harper has already accomplished in less than four months in the big leagues. He’s hit 12 homers (the latest coming Sunday during a 5-2 victory over the Mets). He’s totaled 34 extra-base hits. He’s scored 65 runs. He’s stolen 13 bases.
Most importantly, he’s been a significant contributor on a first-place club, and he’s done it at the age of 19.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?