Aug 20, 2012, 10:45 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Lucas Giolito was shut down after one start in the Gulf Coast League last week.
Updated at 6:45 p.m.
Top Nationals draft pick Lucas Giolito has been shut down after making only one start as a professional and could need Tommy John surgery to repair a torn elbow ligament.
Giolito, the 16th overall pick in the June draft, reported “soreness” in his right elbow after a two-inning appearance Tuesday at the rookie Gulf Coast League in Viera, Fla., general manager Mike Rizzo said. The 18-year-old hurler was examined by team doctor Wiemi Douoguih and now will head home to Los Angeles to get a second opinion from orthopedist Lewis Yocum.
“We’re in the process of scheduling that,” Rizzo said. “And once we get a diagnosis from him, then we’ll proceed with whatever we have to do.”
Though a final course of action won’t be decided until Giolito is examined, ligament replacement surgery is a distinct possibility. Yocum has performed that procedure on Stephen Strasburg, Jordan
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect