Aug 20, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Lucas Giolito was shut down after one start in the Gulf Coast League last week.
Updated at 6:45 p.m.
Top Nationals draft pick Lucas Giolito has been shut down after making only one start as a professional and could need Tommy John surgery to repair a torn elbow ligament.
Giolito, the 16th overall pick in the June draft, reported “soreness” in his right elbow after a two-inning appearance Tuesday at the rookie Gulf Coast League in Viera, Fla., general manager Mike Rizzo said. The 18-year-old hurler was examined by team doctor Wiemi Douoguih and now will head home to Los Angeles to get a second opinion from orthopedist Lewis Yocum.
“We’re in the process of scheduling that,” Rizzo said. “And once we get a diagnosis from him, then we’ll proceed with whatever we have to do.”
Though a final course of action won’t be decided until Giolito is examined, ligament replacement surgery is a distinct possibility. Yocum has performed that procedure on Stephen Strasburg, Jordan
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos